Westminster Politics

villain

Hates Beyoncé

I am once again asking why this country isn't currently rioting against these unserious politicians

finneh

I am once again asking why this country isn't currently rioting against these unserious politicians
Because we've had useless politicians and a system that isn't fit for purpose for 30+ years. At this point most people realise it's endemic, systematic and part of the job description.

The question (to quote South Park) is merely do you choose the Giant Douche or the Turd Sandwich.

I've said this before but it would be interesting to have a Cafe vote on the last government that could be described as very competent or favourable.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Because we've had useless politicians and a system that isn't fit for purpose for 30+ years. At this point most people realise it's endemic, systematic and part of the job description.

The question (to quote South Park) is merely do you choose the Giant Douche or the Turd Sandwich.

I've said this before but it would be interesting to have a Cafe vote on the last government that could be described as very competent or favourable.
It's true, but just because this country has a history of incompetence doesn't mean the only option is to let things continue as they are & always have been.
Guarantee if the nation held the politicians to account on a regular basis they would fold. We're just too polite to cause inconveniences in this country.

finneh

It's true, but just because this country has a history of incompetence doesn't mean the only option is to let things continue as they are & always have been.
Guarantee if the nation held the politicians to account on a regular basis they would fold. We're just too polite to cause inconveniences in this country.
I think it's naive to think it's only politicians. If something happens (systemic corruption, system waste, systemic bad judgment) irrespective of the three different parties in charge, then it's probably only partly to do with incompetent politicians.

You have to look to the wider sphere which includes unelected political people (civil servants).

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I think it's naive to think it's only politicians. If something happens (systemic corruption, system waste, systemic bad judgment) irrespective of the three different parties in charge, then it's probably only partly to do with incompetent politicians.

You have to look to the wider sphere which includes unelected political people (civil servants).
Change has to start from somewhere though, we shouldn't just accept things because it's difficult to change the status quo.

finneh

Change has to start from somewhere though, we shouldn't just accept things because it's difficult to change the status quo.
Completely agree. I guess the difference is some people think change is a vote away. I think it's more likely to be a sledgehammer.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Completely agree. I guess the difference is some people think change is a vote away. I think it's more likely to be a sledgehammer.
Which is why everyone should be marching and protesting, matter fact we should be dragging these politicians by their ties - they know the public are meek and they wont do better until we force them to.
But that's probably asking too much of the british public.

finneh

Which is why everyone should be marching and protesting, matter fact we should be dragging these politicians by their ties - they know the public are meek and they wont do better until we force them to.
But that's probably asking too much of the british public.
Indeed. I guess when it's the people who tend to make the least noise who are the most prejudiced (the poor) then everyone else is happy to carry on.

The poorest paying more in NI to ensure wealthy people don't have to sell their £2m homes for their own care is testament to that. Outrageous.

Acole9

Outstanding
All this because people didn't want the foreigners coming in and they're coming in still anyway. Madness.

finneh

All this because people didn't want the foreigners coming in and they're coming in still anyway. Madness.
From our business point of view it's honestly nothing about this. In terms of HGV drivers the problem has been getting progressively worse since you weren't able to drive a 7.5T vehicle with a normal licence years ago. Then the driver CPC course several years ago caused swathes of older drivers to retire. Finally the close to 100k backlog of tests is a nightmare.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
From our business point of view it's honestly nothing about this. In terms of HGV drivers the problem has been getting progressively worse since you weren't able to drive a 7.5T vehicle with a normal licence years ago. Then the driver CPC course several years ago caused swathes of older drivers to retire. Finally the close to 100k backlog of tests is a nightmare.
The main thing stopping me going back is the complete lack of respect and consideration, shit wages and piss poor conditions. Everyone wants the goods but noone wants a truckstop in their town, so your choices are either kip in the cab on some shitty industrial estate, waking at every noise incase you are being robbed or pay 30 notes to stop at the motorway services, with one shower for 50 drivers and being ripped off for the privilege, add in the distribution centres that won't let you use the facilities, won't let you stay in the cab whilst it's being unloaded, but want you to spend 3 hours in some poxy sweaty waiting room on some moulded plastic chair, feck it.

Balljy

I realise there has been a shortage for years, but something has tipped the balance in the last few months and the people I speak to in the Food Manufacturing industry where I work all say the 20% that has tipped this over the edge and led to the empty shelves is Brexit. The recent gas issues haven't helped for some of the firms I work with, but the empty shelves were happening before that.

I get there's been an issue for years, but to go from full shelves with some clever logistical planning to empty isles in a few months is not a coincidence.

As @Sparky_Hughes says, conditions for drivers are appalling too, so if we really want to replace drivers with UK workers we're all (rightly) going to have to pay for the wage and condition improvements.

Flying high

We've had tory or tory-lite in charge for the last 42 years. Perhaps that should give us all a clue.

If 'we' keep voting for the right wing, who completely coincidentally are funded by the mega rich, then we won't see any change for the next 42 years either. With the tories, it isn't just incompetence that makes them seem so bad at the job, it's a simple fact that they have to pay the debt incurred for those that help them get elected every time.

So you might think that Labour were a turd sandwich last time out, but they were still the better choice, clearly. Anyone who thinks that a group who are possibly not fully competent are as bad as a group who are definitely malicious, has probably been scared into that position and should try to look at the situation more objectively.

finneh

I realise there has been a shortage for years, but something has tipped the balance in the last few months and the people I speak to in the Food Manufacturing industry where I work all say the 20% that has tipped this over the edge and led to the empty shelves is Brexit. The recent gas issues haven't helped for some of the firms I work with, but the empty shelves were happening before that.

I get there's been an issue for years, but to go from full shelves with some clever logistical planning to empty isles in a few months is not a coincidence.

As @Sparky_Hughes says, conditions for drivers are appalling too, so if we really want to replace drivers with UK workers we're all (rightly) going to have to pay for the wage and condition improvements.
Drive for us! Longest drive is a 9 hour round trip; guaranteed no overnight stay and the people you deliver to are our key customers with whom we ensure there's a mutual respect.

What people don't realise is that Covid has been a factory reset. It's been a hard reset for so many people and none more so than drivers. Tens of thousands of people of would be drivers haven't been able to pass a test since tests haven't been available. Add into that the past several years of perpetual regulation telling good drivers that they can't drive because they don't have a stamp and you have a problem.

As an employer of HGV drivers I think something fantastic is happening. Drivers are starting to get paid a good salary and employers like myself can pay them a great salary without my competitors undercutting me.

The best thing about the last 12 months is I've given all my staff great pay rises knowing that I can still be competitive in the industry.

Last edited:

finneh

We've had tory or tory-lite in charge for the last 42 years. Perhaps that should give us all a clue.

If 'we' keep voting for the right wing, who completely coincidentally are funded by the mega rich, then we won't see any change for the next 42 years either. With the tories, it isn't just incompetence that makes them seem so bad at the job, it's a simple fact that they have to pay the debt incurred for those that help them get elected every time.

So you might think that Labour were a turd sandwich last time out, but they were still the better choice, clearly. Anyone who thinks that a group who are possibly not fully competent are as bad as a group who are definitely malicious, has probably been scared into that position and should try to look at the situation more objectively.
Who was your last competent UK government?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well it's all relative. Actually objectively competent... Thatcher before she went completely mad? Harold Wilson? All the way back to Attlee?

Competent relative to the current corrupt shitshow? Gordon Brown.

Flying high

Blair and Brown were mostly competent. Certainly in comparison to the last 3 tory PMs. If only they'd listened to Corbyn over Iraq. Of course they made many other decisions with which I disagree. But they at least had the gumption to enact schemes to help immigrant integration, instead of using them to sow division to help them get elected.

I wasn't really old or interested enough to follow John Major's tenure, but he seems to have been far more competent and less ideologically destructive than the 2010-2021 mob have been.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Drive for us! Longest drive is a 9 hour round trip; guaranteed no overnight stay and the people you deliver to are our key customers with whom we ensure there's a mutual respect.

What people don't realise is that Covid has been a factory reset. It's been a hard reset for so many people and none more so than drivers. Tens of thousands of people of would be drivers haven't been able to pass a test since tests haven't been available. Add into that the past several years of perpetual regulation telling good drivers that they can't drive because they don't have a stamp and you have a problem.

As an employer of HGV drivers I think something fantastic is happening. Drivers are starting to get paid a good salary and employers like myself can pay them a great salary without my competitors undercutting me.

The best thing about the last 12 months is I've given all my staff great pay rises knowing that I can still be competitive in the industry.
The industry needs more people like you chap.

finneh

The industry needs more people like you chap.
In fairness as much as I'd like to take credit it's the industry that allows it at the moment. We are UK only hence the shorter drives and the shortage of lower skilled workers and also HGV drivers has meant we can pay more and increase our prices (meaning no loss of profits,).

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
In fairness as much as I'd like to take credit it's the industry that allows it at the moment. We are UK only hence the shorter drives and the shortage of lower skilled workers and also HGV drivers has meant we can pay more and increase our prices (meaning no loss of profits,).
The only way I'd go back now would be as an owner driver, I long thought about trying to organise a collective of owner drivers, to allow for tendering of bigger contracts, better deals on fuel and kit etc.

finneh

The only way I'd go back now would be as an owner driver, I long thought about trying to organise a collective of owner drivers, to allow for tendering of bigger contracts, better deals on fuel and kit etc.
That makes sense. I know IR35 has hurt a lot of self employed drivers as well which hasn't helped (a driver we employed would have earned £7k less net as an employed driver on an identical wage compared with what he earned self employed).

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
The solution the government are proposing is simply not workable. I can't see a queue of drivers in Europe leave their present jobs and travel the UK on a temporary 6-month visa with all the implications of looking for accommodation leaving their families and then return back?

Do these guys think before making these decisions?

Sweet Square

The solution the government are proposing is simply not workable. I can't see a queue of drivers in Europe leave their present jobs and travel the UK on a temporary 6-month visa with all the implications of looking for accommodation leaving their families and then return back?

Do these guys think before making these decisions?
no

:lol: