Westminster Politics

Maticmaker

"We do not investigate retrospectively", is another way of saying "No" to the question (that seemingly has not been asked officially) "are you going to investigate this...." rumour, claim, request, question?
Especially as all who are possibly concerned are likely to have, alibi's and/or become 'lawyer-ed up', or suddenly become struck dumb or suffer with temporary amnesia, or offer the standard 'no comment' in response to any questions.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
"We do not investigate retrospectively", is another way of saying "No" to the question (that seemingly has not been asked officially) "are you going to investigate this...." rumour, claim, request, question?
Especially as all who are possibly concerned are likely to have, alibi's and/or become 'lawyer-ed up', or suddenly become struck dumb or suffer with temporary amnesia, or offer the standard 'no comment' in response to any questions.
Cressida Dick was asked on LBC the other morning whether they would investigate and she refused to answer. Not that it matters, even if they did investigate, any fine would just be paid out the public purse anyway. Wankers.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
This xmas party story is the "dead cat being thrown on the table" to distract.

Gives less coverage to the story by Monbiot earlier in the thread and also the dodgy contacts given out.
Disagree. Other much more serious corruption stories have been aired but the simple truth is that voters generally don't understand the complexities and brush them off much more easily. The Xmas party story is incredibly simple and relatable and so has gained mass traction. Sad but true. Should be a lesson for the opposition.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
How exactly do you investigate in any way other than retrospectively, anyway? The only other way is to investigate things before they've even happened which would mean you'd be making things u- oh, wait. Now I understand.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
How exactly do you investigate in any way other than retrospectively, anyway? The only other way is to investigate things before they've even happened which would mean you'd be making things u- oh, wait. Now I understand.
I believe their approach is that if there is a breach of covid regulations ongoing (I.e. if somebody had reported the party at the time) they would have sent resource to investigate

They don't resource historic events of covid breaches with police time

That said I'm.pretty sure there are always officers close to the pm with records kept of who is at events with him and why so it really shouldn't take any investigation beyond looking at their own existing records?

RedChip

Smores

Remember when everyone denied any charge of media bias especially against Laura. Fun times.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
I hope this is a drip feed story and photos etc of this Christmas party start to come to light.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I reckon it’s become clear why this Christmas party story has leaked now. It’s been leaked by a Tory PM or a lobbyist who wanted to rule out the possibility of a Christmas lockdown by making it politically impossible for Johnson to do so. The story broke 4 days after Omicron was declared a variant of concern.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I reckon it’s become clear why this Christmas party story has leaked now. It’s been leaked by a Tory PM or a lobbyist who wanted to rule out the possibility of a Christmas lockdown by making it politically impossible for Johnson to do so. The story broke 4 days after Omicron was declared a variant of concern.
Yeah, seems plausible. The knives are out for Boris now anyway, so they wouldn't care about hurting him in the process these days.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Yeah, seems plausible. The knives are out for Boris now anyway, so they wouldn't care about hurting him in the process these days.
Aye, It also seems feasible that it’s been something they have been sitting on since last year with the intention of leaking it if there was any chance whatsoever of Christmas restrictions.

Boycott

It's a shame after all this government's lies it took a Christmas party for them to finally be in the firing line and unable to squirm out

DavidDeSchmikes

you can't tell me that no one knew about last year's Christmas party and only knew about it last week

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It’s so true.

The journalists who were there know exactly what happened and who was involved but are refusing to say anything. Why, what are they getting in return?

People know who the journalists that were there are and are protecting them. Why are their allegiances with their colleagues rather than the truth?

DavidDeSchmikes

It’s so true.

The journalists who were there know exactly what happened and who was involved but are refusing to say anything. Why, what are they getting in return?

People know who the journalists that were there are and are protecting them. Why are their allegiances with their colleagues rather than the truth?
sitting on a story for a whole year isn't holding truth to power

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Are any of us even remotely surprised that such a party actually took place?
Certainly not me.
It is just typical of an entitled group of individuals, who just so happen to be our government to see no reason why they should not go ahead with their ever so well deserved Christmas party.
While of course telling the rest of us what we should be doing...

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
If journos were invited they'd have to be very much within Johnson's inner circle, given the furore the story could cause. It would be very damaging for them to be there for their own credibility as independent reporters too.

The fact it's held for nigh on a year suggests it was a very tightly contained event, so probably just MPs. One of whom obviously has knives out for Johnson now.

Maticmaker

Are any of us even remotely surprised that such a party actually took place?
Certainly not me.
It is just typical of an entitled group of individuals, who just so happen to be our government to see no reason why they should not go ahead with their ever so well deserved Christmas party.
While of course telling the rest of us what we should be doing...
I agree, don't know why people seem surprised?

I cannot remember one HM government (of any political persuasion) in the last 60 years whose basic mantra wasn't always... "don't do what I do, do what I tell you to do"

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I agree, don't know why people seem surprised?

I cannot remember one HM government (of any political persuasion) in the last 60 years whose basic mantra wasn't always... "don't do what I do, do what I tell you to do"
Yes, this current government‘s behaviour is perfectly in keeping with UK governments of the last 50 years. Same honor, same decorum, same respect for parliament, same respect for the general population, same respect for the rule of law.