Westminster Politics

Dobba

"Russia report reveals UK government failed to investigate Kremlin interference

Intelligence and security committee publishes long-delayed findings on Russian influence over UK politics"
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...emlin-interference-scottish-referendum-brexit

Worth remembering while they talk tough, the Tories covered this report up until after the last election.
I really hope Starmer brings up covering up this report, just to see if he can keep a straight face.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Again, the billions of pounds smuggled into shell companies ought to be a more pressing concern. But he will use this situation to try and get around it, as he already is.

"I am fortunate to live in a democracy. I am fortunate to be the PM of a free independent democratic country where people can take that sort of decision, and where I do face that sort of pressure, that's a wonderful thing."

Fortunate to live in a country where a certain class of people will never be held accountable for the theft of public funds and are, de facto, above the law. Democracy via state institution is for the poor.

Maticmaker

Fortunate to live in a country where a certain class of people will never be held accountable for the theft of public funds and are, de facto, above the law. Democracy via state institution is for the poor.
Isn't this one of the reasons we don't have a written constitution?
Virtually all law making is based on precedence, if you form the class of people who always set the precedence, then you are not going to give it up are you?
"Don't do as I do, do as I say" has been the unofficial mantra for the ruling classes ever since William the Conqueror arrived in 1066, don't see why people are getting upset now, almost a millennium later.

Wilt

Snakes are not slimy. Their skin is dry and cool to the touch.

Simbo

Lubov Chernukhin (née Golubeva; born November 1972) is a Russian former banker who holds both Russian and British citizenship. She donated over £2 million to the Conservative Party between April 2012 and April 2020

But dont' worry, UK political parties are not allowed to accept donations from foreign nationals, as Boris confidently exclaimed in parliament the other day.

He then bizarrely responded to the question about releasing the Russia Report, by just stating Britain is implementing strong sanctions on russian assets?

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Isn't this one of the reasons we don't have a written constitution?
Virtually all law making is based on precedence, if you form the class of people who always set the precedence, then you are not going to give it up are you?
"Don't do as I do, do as I say" has been the unofficial mantra for the ruling classes ever since William the Conqueror arrived in 1066, don't see why people are getting upset now, almost a millennium later.
It isn't just a British problem, though. The trend of politicians (and the class they predominantly serve in Western democracies) being above the law is a global one. Johnson can use key terms like "democracy", "freedom", and "process" because half the country will buy into that when they view Russia as the only alternative (as if it were autocratic Russian corruption or plutocratic Western corruption with no shade of grey in-between). The fact that people can know Johnson and members of that class will never face prosecution and continue about their political business (debate and voting) is a form of cognitive dissonance. Whatever about parties that broke laws, for which there is literal proof that he is guilty, this government has embezzled public money to tune of many billions and it hasn't even been hidden. If that doesn't result in prosecution then there is no way you can hold the UK or any similar country up as "democratic" when those who launder money are above the law (even if there is scope for internal dissent, the hallmark of western democracy, such is beside the point if it does not result in material consequence, which in this case would be a host of charges and convictions on a range of legal issues).

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Satire takes another blow:

More of this, let's get it back in the public eye.

Because you need to check bags to know a parties going on.

Funnily enough, you do check bags to prevent terrorist attacks though.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
"Parliament is ‘not the appropriate place to be raising’ Boris Johnson’s comments about Muslims, Speaker says"
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-muslim-islamophobia-pmqs-b2021415.html

We have the most gutless speaker.
There were two times today when the speaker cut off questions. In both instances it seemed bizarre and partisan, and attempting to shield Boris.

Watching PMQs today and some of the questions around the Russia report, Russian investment/donors to the Conservatives etc, election interference.... it paints a grim picture. Hopefully when the next non-conservative government gets into office there will be a serious investigation into govt. corruption in general.

Maticmaker

It isn't just a British problem, though
Of course not, but the 'Mother of Parliaments' leads the way.

We know, that in almost in any country around the world (including those claiming to be a democracy) the 'ruling class' and/or their hangers on, get away with the "Don't do as I do, do as I say" Mantra, it is what keeps them 'in-situ' in these so called 'democracies', because if you don't like them you can vote them out at GE's... in theory at least! The trouble is the next lot is just as prone to the same Mantra, maybe they are at the opposite end of the political spectrum, but its still "Don't do what I do do what I say" (.e.g Labour Politicians who deride private/fee paying schools, but send their own children anyway).

At least in a country with a Strong man/Dictator figure, who retains power through the use of force, you know what to expect; what upsets people in what they believe is a democracy, is when that mantra is clearly seen to be in use, (as recently in 'partygate') because they don't think it should be, it annoys their sensibilities, because they believe they live in (for the most part) a liberal democracy.

However in a democracy, or any other system of government, those in power will always follow the "Don't do as I do, do as I say" mantra' and for the most part they get away with it, even against a background of a pandemic.
Even a constitution that was written down wouldn't solve this problem, but it would make it a dam sight more difficult to get away with it.

F-Red

Watching PMQs today and some of the questions around the Russia report, Russian investment/donors to the Conservatives etc, election interference.... it paints a grim picture. Hopefully when the next non-conservative government gets into office there will be a serious investigation into govt. corruption in general.
Paints? I mean it's clear as day on the Brexit referendum with regards their interference. A Russian goal to bring Britain out of the EU and making the EU/Nato position destabilised and weaker. The official and unofficial campaign had links back to Russian funding. The unofficial one, supported by Arron Banks, probably has more written about it than the official links.

A good read on their influence is here.

Fluctuation0161

There were two times today when the speaker cut off questions. In both instances it seemed bizarre and partisan, and attempting to shield Boris.

The Tories have probably claimed the speaker needs to protect them from such questions as part of "national security".

I suspect a speaker with a backbone like Bercow would not have fallen for it.

MoskvaRed

Cummings is a very confusing individual :lol:

Cummings worked in Russia in the 90s. A charitable interpretation is that he understood Russia from way back. A less charitable interpretation is that he co-opted Russian interests to drive his Brexit campaign over the line.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
In the current scheme of things, for the majority of the public, this is a sideshow.

And I can not help thinking that the Ukraine crisis is a blessing from heaven for Boris. Nobody is talking about Partygate. And yet again, Starmer and Labour progress is being sidelined by world events.

Jericholyte2

Don’t know if anyone’s listened to this week’s Full Disclosure podcast/interview with Keir Starmer.

I think it’s an amazing hour and you see a great deal of personality that’s been missing from him, plus a great sense of why he actually wants to be PM.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Don’t know if anyone’s listened to this week’s Full Disclosure podcast/interview with Keir Starmer.

I think it’s an amazing hour and you see a great deal of personality that’s been missing from him, plus a great sense of why he actually wants to be PM.
Listened to it earlier, nice to hear some personality from him.