Westminster Politics

Vernon Philander

Jeremy Hunt is the bookies favourite at this stage to take the leadership.

How do people (non-doctors please) feel about this?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He’s going to win it. The fact we haven’t seen the usual suspects positioning themselves for the leadership race tells you everything. They know there isn’t the support for it.
Yeah I think he is going to get something around 2/3 vote... Possibly even more as there isn't really any people pushing themselves ... If he gets 75%+ then the 15% who sent letters had better get ready for the inevitable character assassination by a drip drip of leaked stories till they have to stand down and be replaced by one more loyal

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Hoping he wins by one vote and stays on.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

He’s been working on his image since he stepped down as Health Secretary. I don’t trust him one bit.

Djemba-Djemba

Probably the best scenario is he very narrowly survives.

He's utterly toxic and loathed, The Tories will lose the next election if he is still their leader.

Smores

He never seems to have much internal backing so it confuses me why he always tops these lists. Name recognition perhaps, he's the Yvette Cooper of the Tory party.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
He never seems to have much internal backing so it confuses me why he always tops these lists. Name recognition perhaps, he's the Yvette Cooper of the Tory party.
remember he is still at 5-1 and thats assuming boris looses

https://www.oddschecker.com/politics/british-politics/next-conservative-leader

He is favourite because the wing of the party he represents would almost certainly put somebody forwards and it would almost certainly be him

Javid, Sunak, Truss, Tugenhart, Wallace, Patel, Gove, Mordaunt would probably coalesce around one or two people and they would then have better odds

DOTA

Some polling came out over the weekend that predicted Labour would win Wakefield in a landslide, 20 points ahead of the Tories.

Maybe that scared them into doing this.
Lib Dems fancied in Tiverton as well.

Longshanks

This would suit me but I differ from most of the caf in that I think Labour can win the next election on it's own.
Win it? Quite possibly, win an majority? Wouldn't of thought so. Labour would need some sort of co-allition or alliance to control a majority goverment.

The progressive alliance is a nice idea, but I can't see the SNP standing on a PR promise, they would lose out in a PR vote I would imagine and certain sections of the Labour party are far to idealist and militant to stand with other parties so it would be a hard sell. Unfortunately I can't see it ever realisticly happening.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There are rumours Boris persuaded a bunch of people loyal to him to submit a letter (eve though they will vote to support Boris) now to ensure the vote is before then
I don't see how that helps him. Even if he wins now, loosing those elections will put incredible pressure on the Tories to get rid of him. They will simply change the rules.

DOTA

I don't see how that helps him. Even if he wins now, loosing those elections will put incredible pressure on the Tories to get rid of him. They will simply change the rules.
If he wins today it'll take more than 2 grim by election results to get them to go again.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
he'll probably change the leadership election rules straight after if he wins
Probably happening now.

Paddy Power have 1/3 for him to win.
Rarely wrong

The cnut is basically a dictator and the public don't or won't see it

Amadinho is the goat
Scout
Alastair Campbell on Sky News has just ripped Johnson and the Tories apart in a brutal fashion that none of current politicians seem able to do. Sorry I'm not good at getting videos but if anyone has the chance to watch it on catch up or whatever I recommend doing so. Came 10 minutes into the 09.00 news.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
he'll probably change the leadership election rules straight after if he wins
once you win a vote of confidence from your own party then you become de facto prime minister for life.

LARulz

He will survive this unfortunately, not enough of the MPs have seen the direct consequences of supporting him

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Nah. Just a bunch of Tories deciding whether their odds of winning the next general election - and getting lots of private channel contracts for their pals in the meantime - are better if they ditch him now or later.
Disappointing.