Westminster Politics

neverdie

Since WW2 the UK has been forgiving to white refugees. We allowed 200,000 Polish soldiers and their extended families to stay in the UK in 1947, a year before we tried to divert the Empire Windrush to East Africa instead of allowing the (British) people on board to dock in Tilbury.
not sure if the precedent makes it more or less depressing. probably more.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
This sending illegals (please don’t say they are Asylum seekers as most came via the channel with no paperwork) is not solving the problem. The UK is more attractive than the EU because of the way we treat them. This seeking asylum in the first safe country is a load of bollocks according to some UN guy. We, like Greece, should turn the dinghies around and tow them back to France. The folk that moan about us being inhumane also go on and on about food banks, pensioners not eating so they can keep warm as the Government are at fault. Over £1m A DAY on Hotel rooms for the illegals plus their free food and health care. Do they get that in France? Nope. Sending them to Rwanda is supposed to scare them from coming here but it won’t.
So you are advocating that the UK, presumably the Royal Navy, attach some sort of line to a rubber dinghy, which is overloaded with human beings including women and children and tow it back towards France.
By that, you must mean French territorial waters and then leave them there.

You really ought to look at yourself in the mirror.

And what do you think will be gained by that.
Because they have already paid the people traffickers a huge amount of money.
Are you suggesting they ask for their money back?

Don't Kill Bill

I don't support the policy at all but it is safer than letting people smugglers deport them to England on rubber dinghies, which lets face it is the French policy.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I don't support the policy at all but it is safer than letting people smugglers deport them to England on rubber dinghies, which lets face it is the French policy.
Is it safer though? We will only send people to Rwanda after they have made the crossing to the UK in the dinghies. If the crossing is the concern, the UK could have organised and paid for France to send people directly to Rwanda on flights from France.

Also, speaking cynically, if migration was the Government's sole concern then we shouldn't have publicly declared that we wouldn't abandon the Afghan people, given the number of Afghani refugees which are now making their way to the UK.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Letting them access to a place by conventional travel means where their application could be processed would be even safer but let's face it, that's not British policy.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It will have no effect on the number of people coming by dinghy. Most of them will have no idea about the Rwanda policy and those that do will still think it worth the gamble.

Don't Kill Bill

Letting them access to a place by conventional travel means where their application could be processed would be even safer but let's face it, that's not British policy.
They are already in a safe place where their application could be processed but that is not French policy. Deal with them in France where they are before they get on the boats and the issue never arises.

Or stop them coming into France if they are not entitled to entry.

Or do neither and then moan about it.

Paul the Wolf

They are already in a safe place where their application could be processed but that is not French policy. Deal with them in France where they are before they get on the boats and the issue never arises.

Or stop them coming into France if they are not entitled to entry.

Or do neither and then moan about it.
Many people have applied in France and been accepted because they can. The only people moaning are the British. These people want to go to Britain not France.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Jericholyte2

https://www.cnn.com/2022/06/14/europe/rwanda-hostel-uk-migrants-deported-uk-cmd-intl/index.html
We are a disgrace.
I don't have a problem with how Ukrainian refugees have been treated but the difference between theur treatment Nd those from the rest of the world (Africa and Middle East) is clear for all to see.
https://www.cnn.com/2022/05/20/europe/ireland-ukraine-refugees-controversy-intl-cmd/index.html
Really!?!?

The government called the peoples’ bluff about Ukrainians by saying, “If you love them so much why don’t YOU house them?” Then, when hundreds of thousands said, “OK” they made the system so convoluted that it was bound to fail.

Only last week a 13yr old was deported back to Ukraine!

Adisa

Really!?!?

The government called the peoples’ bluff about Ukrainians by saying, “If you love them so much why don’t YOU house them?” Then, when hundreds of thousands said, “OK” they made the system so convoluted that it was bound to fail.

Only last week a 13yr old was deported back to Ukraine!
Let me clarify.
I am not talking about government policy but rather perception. Accepting refugees from Ukraine is widely popular. From other parts of the world, no.

Jericholyte2

Let me clarify.
I am not talking about government policy but rather perception. Accepting refugees from Ukraine is widely popular. From other parts of the world, no.
Ahh apologies, I interpreted your original message the wrong way.

Don't Kill Bill

Many people have applied in France and been accepted because they can. The only people moaning are the British. These people want to go to Britain not France.
I don't blame them, but that is not the deciding factor in whether they are entitled to come.

You are French and you are moaning about what the British govt is doing with the people you (France) refuse to deal with while they are in France. Seems to me, like you develop a conscience about them but only after they cross the water.

Adisa

The balatant truth is that history has a lot to do with why most refugees prefer Britain (I am not even sure this is accurate). And that history is why most of the developing world speak English.

Fluctuation0161

This sending illegals (please don’t say they are Asylum seekers as most came via the channel with no paperwork) is not solving the problem. The UK is more attractive than the EU because of the way we treat them. This seeking asylum in the first safe country is a load of bollocks according to some UN guy. We, like Greece, should turn the dinghies around and tow them back to France. The folk that moan about us being inhumane also go on and on about food banks, pensioners not eating so they can keep warm as the Government are at fault. Over £1m A DAY on Hotel rooms for the illegals plus their free food and health care. Do they get that in France? Nope. Sending them to Rwanda is supposed to scare them from coming here but it won’t.
Where do you get this "information" in bold from?

Have you seen the state of the accommodation the UK offer. When it is hotels it is the most grim hotels that are available.

Like this beauty which was used in Scarborough. £25 per night.

Fluctuation0161

Seems amusing to me that people care about how much the asylum seekers cost our country when our Government regularly pisses billions into the wind and they turn a blind eye. How about, we actually prevent the Government wasting billions instead?
Fair point.

Losing £11BN because of failing to cover for interest rate rises doesn't raise an eyebrow.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-accused-of-wasting-11bn-over-debt-payments-sj0mwxtlb

It also seems Ukrainian refugees are OK but any brown or black refugees get sent to Rwanda. Ultimately it is racism at the core of these opinions and policies.

Paul the Wolf

I don't blame them, but that is not the deciding factor in whether they are entitled to come.

You are French and you are moaning about what the British govt is doing with the people you (France) refuse to deal with while they are in France. Seems to me, like you develop a conscience about them but only after they cross the water.
Eh?

I'm moaning about the atrocious way the British deal with immigrants and refugees. Even the Ukranian refugee system is appalling from the UK; Just because you hope you're furthest away from the problem and have a band of water between you and the continent you should 't be bothered. Maybe under this thinking Italy and Greece should take all of them or maybe Poland should take all the Ukranian refugees.

Why should the French or any other country process applications for people wanting to come to the UK; It makes zero sense.

They're only leaving on boats from France as it's the shortest crossing point. They've probably spent only an hour in France while being transported by whatever means through Europe probably via Belgium and straight into a dinghy.

Presumably you expect the French police force to deploy ten thousand police officers dotted all long the Channel coast.

If the Uk took their fair share and had appropriate means for them to apply for British asylum this problem may not be occurring.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

Question : How do you stop people leaving somewhere when you have no control over them? France is NOT refusing to deal with anything.

Why don’t people get this?

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Fair point.

Losing £11BN because of failing to cover for interest rate rises doesn't raise an eyebrow.
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/rishi-sunak-accused-of-wasting-11bn-over-debt-payments-sj0mwxtlb

It also seems Ukrainian refugees are OK but any brown or black refugees get sent to Rwanda. Ultimately it is racism at the core of these opinions and policies.
And how many billions of COVID fraud were just written off?

You overclaim a hundred pounds on your benefits you get prosecuted. You defraud the taxpayer of billions and it is just one of those things.

Deery

Dreary
Haven’t been following this a lot, but who feeds the refugees when they get to Rwanda?

Don't Kill Bill

Eh?

I'm moaning about the atrocious way the British deal with immigrants and refugees. Even the Ukranian refugee system is appalling from the UK; Just because you hope you're furthest away from the problem and have a band of water between you and the continent you should 't be bothered. Maybe under this thinking Italy and Greece should take all of them or maybe Poland should take all the Ukranian refugees.

Why should the French or any other country process applications for people wanting to come to the UK; It makes zero sense.

They're only leaving on boats from France as it's the shortest crossing point. They've probably spent only an hour in France while being transported by whatever means through Europe probably via Belgium and straight into a dinghy.

Presumably you expect the French police force to deploy ten thousand police officers dotted all long the Channel coast.

If the Uk took their fair share and had appropriate means for them to apply for British asylum this problem may not be occurring.
At least we have established that you are moaning.

Britain takes 600'000 people a year into the UK.

Obviously because they are in France at the time.

I expect them to do exactly what they are doing. Next to feck all but that being the case stop moaning about what the UK does or doesn't do because you passed on responding. You outsourced your problem to people traffickers.

Paul the Wolf

I expect them to do exactly what they are doing. Next to feck all but that being the case stop moaning about what the UK does or doesn't do because you passed on responding. You outsourced your problem to people traffickers.
Sorry I thought it was you moaning about the French

How many asylum seekers are in the UK?
In 2020, the UK received applications for asylum for 37,550 people (including dependants). This is around three times less than the number of applications received each by Germany (124,380), France (103,370) and Spain (108,225).

Around 43 per cent of people seeking asylum in the UK in 2020 were women and children. Overall, eight per cent were children who had arrived in the UK alone without a parent or guardian.

Source Red Cross and UK government

Is it the 20000 who have crossed the channel that bothers you or is it their safety you worry about?
You don't seem to understand that the people crossing the channel want to go to the UK. If they wanted to apply for asylum in France or other countries they could. Lots do.

Giggsyking

I'm starting to think these calls are staged, why else would bigots keep on calling O'Brien's program to get themselves humiliated on live radio?
Because they think they are correct until they get found out live on radio.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!

‘Britain takes’. Why are people like this?

Ex-pats bring more to the economy than they take. They are a net win. We don’t ‘take’ people. They come legally and work. This is completely normal.

So For the ever loving Fcuk, stop throwing immigration numbers into discussions about asylum. They have nothing to do with each other. You may as well quote how many babies are ‘Ejected’ into our society by every year.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool

You don't genuinely believe that Britain takes 600,000 asylum seekers a year do you?