Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yeah, good luck finding 'temporary skilled workers'. It is just gig philosophy writ large, and will only make exploitation of low skilled workers even worse.
Trades Unions grinding our economy to a halt. Since when has this happened.
Honestly. Does he really think people (DM readers excepted) are going to take this halfwit seriously.
Isn't that just stereo typical of the Tories to shift the blame onto working people when it is this shambles of a government who has been in power for 12 years and who have trashed the economy.
Detestable twat.
And that is paying him a compliment.

neverdie

this is firstly a test for labour. they'll want to associate labour with the union. by breaking conventional labour laws, they force labour into making a response. what labour should do is address the issue but throw it back onto the tories. tory government of 12 years first undermines living standards and working conditions and then uses precarity as a wedge to further undermine workers. tories pitting ordinary decent workers against each other to deflect from their systematic mishandling of the economy should be the message. will play well enough within starmer's new found working class aesthetic. not class consciousness, as in union solidarity, but symbolic overtures to the working class in rhetorical form.

tories are now there for the taking no matter which one wins. i can see truss's appeal in brexit britain but she's incompetent beyond that very narrow rhetorical mirroring. they're dead in the water.

Maticmaker

tories are now there for the taking no matter which one wins. i can see truss's appeal in brexit britain but she's incompetent beyond that very narrow rhetorical mirroring. they're dead in the water.
They should be... but do not rule out Labour letting them off the hook.

Sound, clear and costed policies to tackle the situation we are in right now ...on Energy/Cost of living in particular, is what Starmer needs right now, he also needs to mark out the issues and where possible solutions for the next GE, Climate Change/Energy usage/mass migration/immigration issues, they more he delays the more time the Tories have to get their 'second wind', because once they have elected their leader they will close ranks.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They should be... but do not rule out Labour letting them off the hook.

Sound, clear and costed policies to tackle the situation we are in right now ...on Energy/Cost of living in particular, is what Starmer needs right now, he also needs to mark out the issues and where possible solutions for the next GE, Climate Change/Energy usage/mass migration/immigration issues, they more he delays the more time the Tories have to get their 'second wind', because once they have elected their leader they will close ranks.
They should close ranks.
But what we have clearly seen during the leader elections is that the Conservative philosophy is a very important issue.
Truss is much closer to that philosophy than Sunak.
The Conservative philosophy is all about low taxes, small government, austerity, putting business and profits first.

So if Sunak were to win, the right wing of the party would be at odds with some of his policies.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho

I had to read this twice to check this Government Minister actually said this.

"This was a criminal offence. Now it’s an option for business."

Sums up how the Tories run the country really.

Also worth reminding him of this:

Even though this is a direct result of the industry I work in and the dispute currently happening to me and all my work colleagues I still find it hilarious.

Temporary staff couldn't and wouldn't do my job, the amount of safety concerns would be through the roof. You then have the issues of competencies to do the job if they were willing. Every piece of equipment requires its own specific competency ticket and the vast array of equipment means finding someone that hasn't been trained for specific roles for a good few years is a none starter.

The other sectors of the business both operations (signallers) and train drivers are even harder to replace temporarily given route learning and panel knowledge. It's basically a none starter.

Without too much thought I'd assume the same goes for most industries.

Fluctuation0161

Even though this is a direct result of the industry I work in and the dispute currently happening to me and all my work colleagues I still find it hilarious.

Temporary staff couldn't and wouldn't do my job, the amount of safety concerns would be through the roof. You then have the issues of competencies to do the job if they were willing. Every piece of equipment requires its own specific competency ticket and the vast array of equipment means finding someone that hasn't been trained for specific roles for a good few years is a none starter.

The other sectors of the business both operations (signallers) and train drivers are even harder to replace temporarily given route learning and panel knowledge. It's basically a none starter.

Without too much thought I'd assume the same goes for most industries.
Such scumbags this government.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
I'm not overly up in politics in general.
I've tried to take an interested in the last 5 years or so.

Has there ever been a PM that has been successful, that both sides of the nation can say did a good job etc
Through youtube, on my recommended was the last PMQs for Blair in 2007.

The thing is, both sides of the party spoke well, and for the most part, the benches were well behaved, and the questions that were asked got answered... (I didn't watch the full video, so it may have changed)

But compared to PMQs these days. It's a bunch of children, jeering, making quips, joking around and questions not being answered.
What has gone so wrong with politics. Labour voters don't seem to like Starmer. Torys voters don't like Boris.

How does a country even start to function these days :lol:

Sweet Square

ˈkämyənəst
Has there ever been a PM that has been successful, that both sides of the nation can say did a good job etc
Through youtube, on my recommended was the last PMQs for Blair in 2007.
2006 - Tony Blair popularity hits all time low

https://www.ft.com/content/46dff968-1fee-11db-9913-0000779e2340

And

He wanted better schools and hospitals in a happier nation. Half of us think he got it wrong on all counts, even if the evidence suggests otherwise. He wanted us to trust him. Most of us don't. Most of Britain thinks Tony Blair has been a failure - on public services, quality of life, crime, immigration and, above all, Iraq. Commentary by David Sanders and Paul Whiteley

https://theguardian.com/politics/2007/apr/08/tonyblair.labour3
Tony during his final time as PM was polling around the -30 range.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
I wasn't saying Blair was successful. The video was just on my recommended, I didn't go searching for it.
But I just mean, has any PM left office, being a popular figure, or left with the Country functioning.

It always seems to end in failure, no matter the PM
I think it was Blair who said that the paradox of being PM is that you start the job with the highest popularity but with the least experience and understanding of how to run a country. By the end of your term you actually can run a country and know how to legislate and govern, but you cannot govern how you need because you are at your lowest popularity.

I don't know the last PM who left with a remotely positive image. Macmillan maybe?

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
I think it was Blair who said that the paradox of being PM is that you start the job with the highest popularity but with the least experience and understanding of how to run a country. By the end of your term you actually can run a country and know how to legislate and govern, but you cannot govern how you need because you are at your lowest popularity.

I don't know the last PM who left with a remotely positive image. Macmillan maybe?
Macmillan wasn't - all sorts of things happened when he was PM and eventually "By the early 1960s, many were starting to find Macmillan's courtly and urbane Edwardian manners anachronistic, and satirical journals such as Private Eye and the television show That Was the Week That Was mercilessly mocked him as a doddering, clueless leader"

At least with Boris anyone sensible knew he would be an utter disaster before he started and he more than lived up to that. Now the probable next PM - Liz Truss - anyone actually believe she will be anything other than a complete and total disaster?

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
It’s sickening, but if The Daily Mail, Sun and Express want Truss to win, we really need Sunak to.

Smores

Oh god, she's going to end up in Truss's cabinet.

You can't call Tory voters thick apparently...meanwhile their actual candidates treat them as the biggest mugs out there.

It's nice to see the Tory party use these tricks against themselves. It's less nice that it's going to lead to the worse option.

Maticmaker

David Cameron!!! Caught out the Lib Dem's (in his last election won 12 seat Tory majority); beat off the SNP in Indy 1, by 10(%) wickets.... then going for his hat-trick he got cleaned bowled by Brexit!
2 out of 3 ain't bad?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
David Cameron!!! Caught out the Lib Dem's (in his last election won 12 seat Tory majority); beat off the SNP in Indy 1, by 10(%) wickets.... then going for his hat-trick he got cleaned bowled by Brexit!
2 out of 3 ain't bad?
TBF he will probably go down as the most succesful conservative leader since thatcher

Was PM twice - never lost a general election, did bring in some reforms to the party selection process

Brexit will of course cloud his legacy but Major had the total smashing at the polls by labour, May had the whole malfunctioning maybot campaign and boris had cakegate or whatever his total incompetence will end up being called.

Hauge, Howard and IDS were just non-entities

Truss will be the worst of the lot

Shinjch

There is no way that Cameron left Downing Street with a positive image, and since leaving he has gone on to make himself look even more narcissistic and pathetic.

Maticmaker

Indeed, the puppetmasters (whoever tf they are) haven't chosen Truss for her competance.
"Tory Grandees".... if the rank and file choose Truss the 'Grandees' will grit their teeth and hold their noses, if its Sunak, its a different ball game for them. They will have to do some serious thinking about being out of office in both cases, but Truss's election would give them time to regroup, Sunak won't, he's the new kind of Tory who doesn't necessarily take their word for it, (not 'dyed in the wool blue') and may swing some moderate Labour (ex-red-wall) and 'deep thinking' Lib Dem's his way, if he does win the leadership and then the next election, the Party Grandee's are in trouble as the 'guiding force'.

Superden

having labelled anyone who disagreed with them as a remoaner snowflake, they are now going to have to get behind someone who actually campaigned for remain. suck on them apples.

Reiver

Indeed, the puppetmasters (whoever tf they are) haven't chosen Truss for her competance.
If Rees Mogg is backing her than that's another reason to hope it's Sunak.
With Truss, I'm really torn between wanting to watch the train wreck that will almost certainly come. The other part of me is not sure whether I want to live in a world where she can become PM.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There is no way that Cameron left Downing Street with a positive image, and since leaving he has gone on to make himself look even more narcissistic and pathetic.
Perfect description of the idiot that was Cameron.