Westminster Politics

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Perfect description of the idiot that was Cameron.
I have the feeling that as time goes on, and the impact of Brexit on the UK's economy and the Union becomes clearer and clearer, he will be viewed much more negatively than he is now.

Just like Eden is synonymous with Suez and the destruction of British hard power, Cameron will be unable to escape from the fact he opened the door to a tidal wave of shit and then quickly resigned, made millions and left the mess to others to clear up.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I have the feeling that as time goes on, and the impact of Brexit on the UK's economy and the Union becomes clearer and clearer, he will be viewed much more negatively than he is now.

Just like Eden is synonymous with Suez and the destruction of British hard power, Cameron will be unable to escape from the fact he opened the door to a tidal wave of shit and then quickly resigned, made millions and left the mess to others to clear up.
Again. Have to agree with you on this. Leaving the EU was a big big mistake.
And those of us who are open minded and not taken in by the lies and bullshit know this already.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
truss panicked, looked to someone else before finally moving towards the stricken corpse and taking action. that’s not the behaviour of a leader.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Truss going after trade unions. Could see even more strikes in the future if she succeeds.

lsd

The Oracle

I'm not sure what Cameron could have done. Having the referendum was a vote winner for him same as the Scottish Referendum and that worked for him

His mistake was trusting the public and the polls that all went for remain but had it come off he would still be in power now.

When the public showed their stupidity and voted to leave he was done and he knew it so he quit.

He had no other option other than resigning as he didn't believe in Brexit had he stayed it would have been even worse than Theresa May's reign.

It's weird to think that in both Referendums the result was not what was predicted.

Boris going from remain to leave once ge thought that would get him into the hot seat was far worse

lsd

The Oracle
truss panicked, looked to someone else before finally moving towards the stricken corpse and taking action. that’s not the behaviour of a leader.

Did she look to Rishi? If so it doesn't bode well for her leadership qualities

Longshanks

All he did was the inevitable, euro skepticism was growing and becoming a more and more toxic subject especially within his own party it was a problem that wasn't going to go away and needed dealing with one way or another.

I suspect he was really quite confident of winning the referendum, let it not be forgotten that he led the remain campaign as a staunch remainer.

The real villains are farage, bo jo and the right wing press for there xenophobic post brexit field of dreams campaign that was full of complete and utter lies and the 17.2 million people that believed it and voted for it.

Unfortunately as a country we voted for a referendum, then voted to leave the EU, and then gave the leader of the leave campaign a huge majority in government to 'get on with brexit'.

Cameron may have opened the door, but he then stood in front of it saying you don't want to go in there, while farage and co stood the other side of the door promising sweets and unicorns, we as an electorate bought it and didn't just tentatively take a step towards the door, we chopped Camerons head off and ram raided our way through the door to where we are now.

We as an electorate are the ones who voted for this mess, and we are the ones who will have to pay for the clean up.

Reiver

Truss going after trade unions. Could see even more strikes in the future if she succeeds.
Ticks all the boxes for her - makes her look like Thatcher; the Right of the Tory Party love trashing the Unions; the Right Wing Press love it; unfortunately, a fair amount of the general public hate the Unions too.
As if the Unions have anything to do with the state the country's in. Unfortunately Starmer will probably stand back and let her get away with it (if she becomes PM)

jeff_goldblum

All he did was the inevitable, euro skepticism was growing and becoming a more and more toxic subject especially within his own party it was a problem that wasn't going to go away and needed dealing with one way or another.
He called the referendum because he was facing challenges to his leadership of the Tory Party from Eurosceptic backbenchers and thought winning the referendum would shut them up and secure his position. Even if things had turned out the way he wanted, he'd go down in history as someone who spent a massive amount of public money and gambled the future of the country for personal political gain. The fact that he lost the referendum makes him a fecking idiot as well as an amoral careerist cnut.

Last edited:

lsd

The Oracle
He called the referendum because he was facing challenges to his leadership of the Tory from Eurosceptic backbenchers and thought winning the referendum would shut them up and secure his position. Even if things had turned out the way he wanted, he'd go down in history as someone who spent a massive amount of public money and gambled the future of the country for personal political gain. The fact that he lost the referendum makes him a fecking idiot as well as an amoral careerist cnut.

He didn't lose the referendum we lost it as it was the public who voted.

Again his mistake was trusting people to do what the polls suggested they would.

You can't blame him for the majority of Britain's being racist and dumb as after all it's how the Tories get into power

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He called the referendum because he was facing challenges to his leadership of the Tory Party from Eurosceptic backbenchers and thought winning the referendum would shut them up and secure his position. Even if things had turned out the way he wanted, he'd go down in history as someone who spent a massive amount of public money and gambled the future of the country for personal political gain. The fact that he lost the referendum makes him a fecking idiot as well as an amoral careerist cnut.
Complete arrogant fecking idiot who gambled the country's future to try and settle Tory in-fighting. That actually has to make him worse than Johnson, if that's possible.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Complete arrogant fecking idiot who gambled the country's future to try and settle Tory in-fighting. That actually has to make him worse than Johnson, if that's possible.
He was extremely arrogant in that he convinced himself and even more tried to convince us all that he could just tell the EU that unless the UK got what he was asking for, we would leave. All he kept saying was that they had to reform.
But he really didn't know what he was asking for and as a result, the EU just ignored him.

Fluctuation0161

I'm not sure what Cameron could have done. Having the referendum was a vote winner for him same as the Scottish Referendum and that worked for him

His mistake was trusting the public and the polls that all went for remain but had it come off he would still be in power now.

When the public showed their stupidity and voted to leave he was done and he knew it so he quit.

He had no other option other than resigning as he didn't believe in Brexit had he stayed it would have been even worse than Theresa May's reign.

It's weird to think that in both Referendums the result was not what was predicted.

Boris going from remain to leave once ge thought that would get him into the hot seat was far worse
He wasn't prepared for a leave vote so he shouldn't have had the referendum until he was prepared for the outcomes. He also should have had a minimum threshold percentage for change. It was not thought out.

Calling the referendum just because it was a vote winner shows his lack of integrity; poor planning and catastrophic leadership.

He had no idea, the stupidity was on him.

As a leader you need to be prepared whatever the outcome. And that's before even considering the 6 years of brutal austerity and targeting the sick and disabled with thousands dying after being labelled "fit to work". Terrible PM. Terrible party. Bringing their internal party division's out into the public.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
John Major might be good at calling his party out now but he was a weak PM. And to be honest I can not really remember that much about him apart from his alleged affair with Edwina Curry. Rather him than me.
I think everyone including him was surprised that the Tories won after the ousted Thatcher. Bland but at least not pure evil.

jeff_goldblum

He didn't lose the referendum we lost it as it was the public who voted.

Again his mistake was trusting people to do what the polls suggested they would.

You can't blame him for the majority of Britain's being racist and dumb as after all it's how the Tories get into power
In what sense didn't he lose? He called the referendum with the intention of Remain winning and securing his position. Remain lost and he had to resign.

On the last paragraph, Cameron, as with many of the most high-profile Remainer politicians, is absolutely to blame for his part in spreading the lies and normalising the rhetoric which brought the likes of Farage into the political mainstream and formed the basis of the Leave campaign. Both major parties spent the 3 elections leading up to the referendum pandering to anti-immigrant sentiment and scapegoating the EU for their own failings in government, only then to turn round and expect people to take them seriously when they went out to bat for Remain.

Brexit was as much a failing of the 'moderate' wings of the main political parties as it was a triumph for the right.

lsd

The Oracle
Corbyn and McDonnell were in charge of Labour, so it wasn't just about 'moderate' wings or the right.

Might have helped Corbyn's cause of he ever came out and made an opinion on Credit instead of always standing there offering nothing.

The fact he failed to get into power on back of the biggest chaos in recent history was woeful

Maticmaker

Might have helped Corbyn's cause of he ever came out and made an opinion on Credit instead of always standing there offering nothing.

The fact he failed to get into power on back of the biggest chaos in recent history was woeful
The problem for Jeremy was he belong to the old Tony Benn school of the left that believed we should never have joined the 'common market'/EEC, in the first place.

lsd

The Oracle
Lsd loves the sun

No I am labour but the problem for me was David Miliband should have been leading the party challenging Cameron but his brother messed that up.

I believe David would have won and spared us everything that's happened since so in my view the person to really blame for Brexit and everything that came be with it is Ed Milliband

He was never leadership material and just the unions puppet who was exposed for the idiot he is way to soon.

jeff_goldblum

Corbyn and McDonnell were in charge of Labour, so it wasn't just about 'moderate' wings or the right.
Corbyn and McDonnell aren't really relevant to the point I'm making. To their credit, it wasn't the Labour left who spent the decade prior to the referendum parroting far-right rhetoric on immigration, it was the 'moderates'. To my knowledge, the first major figure to propose the points-based immigration system the current government is bringing in was Tony Blair in his 2004 conference speech. Around that time he said that cutting down on 'bogus' asylum claims was his number one domestic priority. New Labour in government shifted massively to the right on immigration after 2001 and, in doing so, fundamentally changed the national debate from 'pro-immigration vs. anti-immigration' to 'anti-immigration vs. more anti-immigration'. The reason Farage became a central figure in British politics is because by the late-2000s his views on immigration weren't too different to what Labour and the Tories were saying.

Leave won the referendum using arguments which 'moderates' in Labour and the Tories had been using for years. All Farage had to do was point out the hypocrisy of talking tough on immigration whilst being party to Freedom of Movement via EU membership.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The problem for Jeremy was he belong to the old Tony Benn school of the left that believed we should never have joined the 'common market'/EEC, in the first place.
As soon as he started to mention taxing the rich that was the nail in the coffin for Corbyn. All of the media went against him and at that point you're doomed. The media holds the cards in this country, you have to attempt to keep some of them on side.

Fluctuation0161

In what sense didn't he lose? He called the referendum with the intention of Remain winning and securing his position. Remain lost and he had to resign.

On the last paragraph, Cameron, as with many of the most high-profile Remainer politicians, is absolutely to blame for his part in spreading the lies and normalising the rhetoric which brought the likes of Farage into the political mainstream and formed the basis of the Leave campaign. Both major parties spent the 3 elections leading up to the referendum pandering to anti-immigrant sentiment and scapegoating the EU for their own failings in government, only then to turn round and expect people to take them seriously when they went out to bat for Remain.

Brexit was as much a failing of the 'moderate' wings of the main political parties as it was a triumph for the right.
Absolutely.

Fluctuation0161

Not helped by being sabotaged by the "moderate" wing of the Labour party.

Fluctuation0161

No I am labour but the problem for me was David Miliband should have been leading the party challenging Cameron but his brother messed that up.

I believe David would have won and spared us everything that's happened since so in my view the person to really blame for Brexit and everything that came be with it is Ed Milliband

He was never leadership material and just the unions puppet who was exposed for the idiot he is way to soon.
Yes, let's blame the man who had nothing to do with the actual problem for our problems.

Which media outlet has got you doing those hardcore mental gymnastics for you to come to that bizarre conclusion?

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC

For a labour supporter you seem to hold Labour accountable for alot of things they had little to no control over. Is Corbyn to blame for everything the last few years also on the basis that he lost an election?

And in regards to your previous post about Corbyn. Corbyn didn't lose the election due to any of his own doing. His election was lost mainly due to the media smear campaign as well as the reasons outlined in the Corbyn report too.

Sure what about Ed Milliband who had a smear campaign due to how he eats a bacon sandwich. It doesn't matter who the individual is, the right wing media moguls will peddle any sort of propoganda they can to influence the naive in society.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
For a labour supporter you seem to hold Labour accountable for alot of things they had little to no control over. Is Corbyn to blame for everything the last few years also on the basis that he lost an election?

And in regards to your previous post about Corbyn. Corbyn didn't lose the election due to any of his own doing. His election was lost mainly due to the media smear campaign as well as the reasons outlined in the Corbyn report too.

Sure what about Ed Milliband who had a smear campaign due to how he eats a bacon sandwich. It doesn't matter who the individual is, the right wing media moguls will peddle any sort of propoganda they can to influence the naive in society.
Mainly is the key word. Any future candidate from the left needs to closely study the Corbyn years and make sure that they do not repeat the mistakes that were made.

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Mainly is the key word. Any future candidate from the left needs to closely study the Corbyn years and make sure that they do not repeat the mistakes that were made.
And which mistakes do you believe Corbyn made?