Westminster Politics

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout

What is the working class? If it is DE, then that's Labour. (In fact, the only group Labour has is DE). I don't know what C2 is, or why they are so strongly Tory. I'm assuming the C1 numbers are young well-off liberals.
What's most interesting there is the similarity across the board: suggests class-based voting has mostly disappeared.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
What's most interesting there is the similarity across the board: suggests class-based voting has mostly disappeared.
Yep. Referendum broke it and now we're astonishingly generation based.

Quite jarring, as an 'E', to be almost a parity on DE.

Dobba

MoskvaRed

The question is - did Corbyn max out the youth vote this time or can he (realistically) push it higher? My personal view is that he will struggle to get much more out of it and, to get a majority, would need to move more towards the centre to attract older voters.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
The question is - did Corbyn max out the youth vote this time or can he (realistically) push it higher? My personal view is that he will struggle to get much more out of it and, to get a majority, would need to move more towards the centre to attract older voters.
He might struggle to get it much higher but if polls are any good indicator, he's doing well at increasing his vote share in general anyway. People forget it isn't just the youth voting for him; essentially the oldies are the one group holding him back.

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
Amazing that youth turnout rose since the referendum.

I assume also that that suggests the Dementia Tax suppressed pensioner turnout, that otherwise would have proved the difference?

MoskvaRed

He might struggle to get it much higher but if polls are any good indicator, he's doing well at increasing his vote share in general anyway. People forget it isn't just the youth voting for him; essentially the oldies are the one group holding him back.
To be honest, if he can't lead in the polls against an emasculated, discredited PM, he never will. But it will be interesting to see - he has been written off 100 times already and is now in a stronger position than ever.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Doesn't it become a different question though next time? Rather can he mantian the support of the existing 18-24 while encouraged new 18s to register to vote. If he gets that formula right then time alone will see Labour in power. Labour/Corbyn completely dominate the social media streams so he'll always pick up new voters. I feel Conservatives need to work harder in that arena to give themselves a chance over the next few years.

MoskvaRed

Doesn't it become a different question though next time? Rather can he mantian the support of the existing 18-24 while encouraged new 18s to register to vote. If he gets that formula right then time alone will see Labour in power. Labour/Corbyn completely dominate the social media streams so he'll always pick up new voters. I feel Conservatives need to work harder in that arena to give themselves a chance over the next few years.
Maybe, but it is dynamic in both directions (he could lose voters passing from youth into middle age). Also, I doubt the Conservatives will run such a politically poor campaign again (even if the dementia tax made financial sense).

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
So far as England is concerned, i would think it rather premature to conclude that we have returned to such a polarised two-party dynamic. Either the Lib Dem vote will recover, or we'll have a new third player on the scene. The younger members of the electorate in particular, are going to seek that alternative.

What is the working class? If it is DE, then that's Labour. (In fact, the only group Labour has is DE). I don't know what C2 is, or why they are so strongly Tory. I'm assuming the C1 numbers are young well-off liberals.
http://www.ukgeographics.co.uk/blog/social-grade-a-b-c1-c2-d-e

C2: Skilled manual occupations

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Enfield again? Well we've only got on A&E unit left thanks to Major and Brown.

The Tories aren't gong to win the seat back with further cuts.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Done and run. No mention of Trump visit now :lol:

Missing manifesto promises - schools lunches and energy price cap
Posted at11:55

Much of what was promised in the Conservative manifesto doesn't get a mention in the Queen's Speech.

There is nothing about the scrapping of universal free school lunches, means-testing of the winter fuel payment or an energy price cap.

On the controversial social care plans - or "dementia tax", to those who didn't like them - the speech says only that ministers will "work to improve social care and bring forward proposals for consultation".

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
More from BBC:
More on missing manifesto pledges - foxes and fixed terms
Posted at11:58

Grammar schools - one of Theresa May's signature policies, but now not a word on the creation of new grammars. Instead, documents released alongside the speech state the government will "look at all the options" for ensuring all children go to good or outstanding schools and will "work with Parliament to bring forward proposals that can command a majority".

Fox-hunting - the manifesto promised a free vote on a government bill to decide whether to repeal the ban on hunting with dogs. This does not feature today.

Fixed-term parliaments - no legislation is being put forward to implement Mrs May's plans to end the five-year fixed term between elections, which was introduced under the coalition.

NinjaFletch

The Queen says there'll be a Draft Tenants' Fees Bill: to ban landlords and agents charging "letting fees" or any payments as a condition of tenancy other than rent.
Glad this one wasn't shitcanned. Push this one through before you get booted out please Theresa xoxo

NinjaFletch

Christ you lot still have that shit?
Sadly.

Was banned in Scotland a few years ago, and the governments consultation went out last year (why you really need a consultation when you have a whole country as a case study I don't know), it's been slow progress.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Queen's Speech:

Space industry

New powers will licence a new generation of space flights from the UK, including vertically-launched rockets, satellites and building spaceports.
Theresa is reaching out to new potential voters @Ubik and @rcoobc . :smirk:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Sadly.

Was banned in Scotland a few years ago, and the governments consultation went out last year (why you really need a consultation when you have a whole country as a case study I don't know), it's been slow progress.
The consultation should have simply been:

"How did it go in Scotland?"
"Really fecking good"
"Ok, let's do it down here, immediately"

I was working for the Council's private sector housing in Aberdeen at the time the agent fees were banned. There was a whole lot of scaremongering before it actually happened. It was going to cost jobs, letting agents were going to shut down, rents were going to DOUBLE, buy to let was going to be much less attractive, thus a massive drop in private sector rental properties available, huge increase in homeless young people etc. It was absolute carnage.

None of that happened.

Two years after the ban was imposed, the council did a district-wide survey of all the high street letting agents in regards to the impact of the letting agent fee ban. The feedback in Aberdeen was unanimous. 100% positive, apart from one letting agent who didn't respond, out of about 30 companies. Private rented properties became more accessible, as you need less cash upfront to secure a home, to the extent that a lot of letting agents were saying they didn't even need to put properties on the market in some cases. Word of mouth - i.e. knowing someone who is moving out of a property, or knowing someone who owns the property - was often enough to get a property rented out again. Letting agents were saving money on marketing and advertising, landlords were not experiencing gaps in rental income as changeovers were becoming more seamless, less properties sitting empty. The private market was booming, and still is, even with Aberdeen's downturn due to the oil. I can't imagine it is much different elsewhere in Scotland.

Whilst it became cheaper to secure a private rented property for a tenant, it became more competitive to actually get one. A bit of a double edged sword for prospective tenants, and still the ones who benefited are the landlords and the agents. But despite the increased competition, at least people aren't getting ripped off with nonsense fees for pressing print in Microsoft Word, or for sending an e-mail to your previous landlord. The ban in England is long overdue.

Silva

The conservative party intends to bring in ID requirements to vote, a classic voter suppression tactic. Can't have all these young people thinking it's okay to vote.

Silva

Honestly, requiring identification to vote is utter bullshit. It hits younger and poorer people disproportionately. I can't believe how little is being made of this.

Dobba

The ease at how so called journalists show how little they know about parliamentary protocols in their quest to find something over Corbyn is an absolute joy to behold. The man himself was on fine form as well, which probably explains the first bit.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Honestly, requiring identification to vote is utter bullshit. It hits younger and poorer people disproportionately. I can't believe how little is being made of this.
As with the US, is there any indication of widespread fraud beyond literal 1-in-a-million cases?