Westminster Politics

Smores

Neither am I but I think it's up to you to back up your original point, that 'The Tories have been steadily rising in the polls the last few months'. Is it true or not?
They've been slowly rising since November yeah. They're currently at their highest since then according to the politico poll of polls.

Still a significant gap but Labour will need a 13% lead going into an election campaign, they've got an approx 19% lead today. I don't doubt the Tories will close that only question is by how much.

finneh

Neither am I but I think it's up to you to back up your original point, that 'The Tories have been steadily rising in the polls the last few months'. Is it true or not?
It's not quite steady and it's from an incredibly low base but...

Last edited:

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It's not quite steady and it's from an incredibly low base but...

Thanks. The recent uptick is quite small then. Can't be arsed looking at what caused the November lows, it was always unlikely they would stay. But then again I try to never rule anything out in politics, been surprised too many times.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Thanks. The recent uptick is quite small then. Can't be arsed looking at what caused the November lows, it was always unlikely they would stay. But then again I try to never rule anything out in politics, been surprised too many times.
It was the mayhem of Truss. They were never realistically going to stay as low as they were in the polls at that time forever.

Jericholyte2

I think I need to go back to therapy, these lot are making me want to just walk in to the North Sea.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
can someone point where the Tories took over?
Well in fairness it was the financial crisis that first knackered things but it's 13 years of abject failure to grow wages since the Tories got in. We should all be grateful and make do and mend and all that other shit though apparently. Because obviously our sacrifice has led to stellar advances elsewhere such as on climate change, health, education and global security. :rolleyes:

Fluctuation0161

At least they are offering something. It is a lot easier to wage a culture war when the opposition's policy position is "yeah, you know, you are right, but we would be better at deporting refugees".
Very true. The nodding dog approach!

Even if the tactic gets the, currently vacuous, Labour party into government they will have allowed the acceptable conversation to shift so far to the right they will struggle to make much difference. That's assuming they even want to make a difference, rather simply gain power at all costs then do nothing, like Keir Starmer did with the Labour leadership.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Not a great day for the met then. They probably haven't had a good day in years mind.

finneh

Looks like the xenophobic/racist/fascist culture wars are starting to work for the Tories then.
The Tories definitely see the channel migrant issue as the key to staying in power.

Given the recent polling - that every age group with the exception of 18-24 (who don't really vote) supports a harsher stance; I can see why.

Not that any of their policies / rhetoric will have an affect on this; however I'm guessing the hope is the stronger the rhetoric the more they'll be seen to be tougher, without doing anything.

Hopefully people are smart enough to see though this, but I'm not convinced.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Tories definitely see the channel migrant issue as the key to staying in power.

Given the recent polling - that every age group with the exception of 18-24 (who don't really vote) supports a harsher stance; I can see why.

Not that any of their policies / rhetoric will have an affect on this; however I'm guessing the hope is the stronger the rhetoric the more they'll be seen to be tougher, without doing anything.

Hopefully people are smart enough to see though this, but I'm not convinced.
It’s the only thing they have left.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Feck you Bojo.

Honestly. The man is a compulsive liar. He will say anything he can and try to kie his way out of any situation.
If anyone trusts a word he says, I would be amazed if the enquiry find him guilty though. It is all about politics, not the truth.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He has already admitted misleading Parliament, because it is obvious that he did.
But he now says that he did not 'intentially' mislead it.
Because he knows that it will be pretty difficult to conclusively prove his intentions. Intentions are subjective and not objective.

Maticmaker

He has already admitted misleading Parliament, because it is obvious that he did.
But he now says that he did not 'intentially' mislead it.
Because he knows that it will be pretty difficult to conclusively prove his intentions. Intentions are subjective and not objective.
Exactly. 'Partygate' did for Boris, it helped get him removed from office, that is as far as any group of politicians will go to turn on their own.
Boris is a 'side show' now. So Starmer needs to keep 'stum' on this topic, don't get embroiled in trying to bury the body twice, let the privileges committee do their business, 'shake the dust' etc and focus on the real problems.

Spark

Exactly. 'Partygate' did for Boris, it helped get him removed from office, that is as far as any group of politicians will go to turn on their own.
Boris is a 'side show' now. So Starmer needs to keep 'stum' on this topic, don't get embroiled in trying to bury the body twice, let the privileges committee do their business, 'shake the dust' etc and focus on the real problems.
Not that it makes much difference, but it was appointing Chris "Pincher by name, Pincher by nature" Pincher as a Whip whilst knowing full well he was a total wrong'un that did for Boris. Chris Pincher then attacked two men whilst totally battered at the commons bar.

They all defended Johnson to the nth degree on Partygate (and still are, like total morons)/lying to the house.

Fully Fledged

BBC saying that none of us understood the rules, so how can the comity say that Boris should have realised that the guidance had been broken? Typical.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
BBC saying that none of us understood the rules, so how can the comity say that Boris should have realised that the guidance had been broken? Typical.
Who is saying that on the BBC?

LARulz

Boris has some arrogance that I wish I had at times. The guy can stand over a dead body, with their blood on his hands and him twirling the machete around but claim confidently it wasn't him and he'd genuinely believe himself

fecking cnut. Basically saying that its cos he believed it, he didn't do anything wrong.