Who replaces Ten Hag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

van Nistelrooy

Also got quite the history with us so he would know the ins and outs of the club alteady

Must say, fair play to him for working his way up into a position where he's considered a credible candidate for a host of top PL jobs, not including Brighton, off the back of years of grinding and a terrific season in the Championship.

Takes some fortitude taking a risk and betting on yourself and your abilities like that. Think he's got the mental makeup/aptitude for a big job like United personally.
Knows the ins and outs of the club, but that will be changing under INEOS now.

I would just hope he wouldn't let players like Rashford 'get away with it' and create a route back for Sancho because he knows them.

lsd

The Oracle
If you were in a similar position, would you reject them ?

Don't get me wrong I know where you and others are coming from but this is a potential once in a lifetime opportunity.

Yes i don't understand anyone saying he should stay at Ipswich another year.

His stock is high right now and this why Chelsea and United are interested. If he stayed at Ipswich and got relegated his stock drops.

This is his chance now and he would be insane to risk blowing it

lsd

The Oracle
Yeah, I'm not sure about this one. He's done a fantastic job at Ipswich but things can change very quickly and I'm not being funny, English managers are not exactly renowned for being the best managers around either.

I do like how he 's worked under so many of our previous managers and if you're looking for long term then he's probably a good candidate for that, but it does feel a bit too soon. Will back him if we do go for him though.

Well he's not English

Dazzmondo

If you were in a similar position, would you reject them ?

Don't get me wrong I know where you and others are coming from but this is a potential once in a lifetime opportunity.
Realistically, sticking with Ipswich would be a crazy decision. They're almost certainly going back down whether he's there or not. The real decision would be whether to go straight to the top jobs at Utd or Chelsea, where there's a lot more risk and pressure, or to go into a pretty well-balanced and well-run club where the pressure is way lower and back yourself to get another big club offer in the future if you do well there. If I was him, I'd be choosing Brighton, but I can understand if he wants to skip that step.

Dazzmondo

Was Pep qualified for Barca, Alonso for Leverkusen and I'm sure other examples? Sometimes you just see potential and risk it. I might need someone to remind me of how he left, I thought he just took the Ipswich job no? Not sure anyone forced hiim to leave, regardless its what only a handful now Bruno, Dalot, Shaw, Maguire, McSauce, Rashford and AWB is it? I'd bet some of these will be sold anyway. Maybe they don't respect him but they'll respect Ineos, Berrada and the team around them, if they don't goodbye.
Pep and Alonso were great players. This shouldn't make a difference, but it does because players are stupid. Most players have this idea that someone like McKenna, who never made it at the top level as a player, couldn't possibly know more than them, who are clearly far better players than he ever was. One way around this is if the manager has won something massive like the CL. Even though what McKenna accomplished was really impressive, it's ultimately at a very low level. I would fear for his career if he went straight to Utd tbh. I don't think it would go well for either him or the club.

Laurencio

Realistically, sticking with Ipswich would be a crazy decision. They're almost certainly going back down whether he's there or not. The real decision would be whether to go straight to the top jobs at Utd or Chelsea, where there's a lot more risk and pressure, or to go into a pretty well-balanced and well-run club where the pressure is way lower and back yourself to get another big club offer in the future if you do well there. If I was him, I'd be choosing Brighton, but I can understand if he wants to skip that step.
The chance to manage one of the big ones doesn't necessarily come around more than once. Then again, you only get one chance to succeed, if he fails here or at Chelsea his star quickly wanes.

Getting the timing right is tricky - but with INEOS taking over, half the squad being out of contract next season and no where to go but up, this might be the ideal time to take over Man Utd. Whomever gets the job next will have everything in place to succeed within 3 years. Poch could quite quickly make himself unsackable if McKenna doesn't go for it. He might never get this chance again.

-Supreme-

The potential appointment of Mckenna will send a strong signal to these long serving players, I don’t think they will be given another chance to impress a “new” manager for a season anymore, he would have seen these so called star players who had downed tools and under performed over the years.

Dazzmondo

The chance to manage one of the big ones doesn't necessarily come around more than once. Then again, you only get one chance to succeed, if he fails here or at Chelsea his star quickly wanes.

Getting the timing right is tricky - but with INEOS taking over, half the squad being out of contract next season and no where to go but up, this might be the ideal time to take over Man Utd. Whomever gets the job next will have everything in place to succeed within 3 years. Poch could quite quickly make himself unsackable if McKenna doesn't go for it. He might never get this chance again.
If it doesn't come around it's probably because you've failed at a lower club. I think he's more likely to fail at Utd or Chelsea. He doesn't have success at the top level or history as a great player to help him command the respect of better players. That would concern me. We already saw Chelsea players disrespecting Potter when he moved after doing a very good job with Brighton.

Rooney1987

Pep and Alonso were great players. This shouldn't make a difference, but it does because players are stupid. Most players have this idea that someone like McKenna, who never made it at the top level as a player, couldn't possibly know more than them, who are clearly far better players than he ever was. One way around this is if the manager has won something massive like the CL. Even though what McKenna accomplished was really impressive, it's ultimately at a very low level. I would fear for his career if he went straight to Utd tbh. I don't think it would go well for either him or the club.
But Arteta wasn't, he was decent PL player and all. Didn't win anything did he. He got experience as an assistant under Pep and Arsenal took a risk on it. I don't think players are that stupid, many iconic managers had poor playing careers and it never mattered. Same as many great players have turned out ot be poor managers. Back to McKenna I would agree I would say let's see how he does with Brighton and see if Tuchal can try not to fall out with the squad after 1 year. But I'm not against trying McKenna out first.

Stig

Ole knocked it out of the park at Molde so I know what you mean.

Dazzmondo

But Arteta wasn't, he was decent PL player and all. Didn't win anything did he. He got experience as an assistant under Pep and Arsenal took a risk on it. I don't think players are that stupid, many iconic managers had poor playing careers and it never mattered. Same as many great players have turned out ot be poor managers. Back to McKenna I would agree I would say let's see how he does with Brighton and see if Tuchal can try not to fall out with the squad after 1 year. But I'm not against trying McKenna out first.
Arteta was still a good player, even if he wasn't a top player. That's still more than someone who didn't have a real professional career. I've watched loads of player interviews, various different team documentaries, and I can confidently say that most players come across as extremely thick. Some exceptions of course, I doubt Bruno would be undermining any manager for example, but the vast majority are dumb. I love Rio and Scholes, but just listen to some of the stuff they say. Rio himself has basically suggested in the past that players don't respect these managers who weren't top players, and Mourinho was an exception because he'd just won the CL.

You don't have to convince me that poor players can be great managers and vice versa. I've always known that. I'm not the one who'll be playing under McKenna if we sign him though. Whoever we sign, I hope it's a good decision.

SouthMancRed

Cheimoon's Fault

Potter's is still shining quite brightly.

Laurencio

If it doesn't come around it's probably because you've failed at a lower club. I think he's more likely to fail at Utd or Chelsea. He doesn't have success at the top level or history as a great player to help him command the respect of better players. That would concern me. We already saw Chelsea players disrespecting Potter when he moved after doing a very good job with Brighton.
That is certainly a concern. I think a lot of the players currently here would be keen, but I think we could face issues with incoming foreigners for sure.

Potter's is still shining quite brightly.
He has not really been seriously mentioned as a candidate for any top job. He might get the England job though.

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure
This one is in the bag.

where’s @TrebleChamp99
I was summoned! Yeah weird one this not my usual mate with the info but he was adamant last week Monday he was leaving and again this Monday so seems alot has changed .

Maybe the Chelsea and Brighton links spurred them into action.

TrebleChamp99

Incorrectly predicted ten Hag’s departure

eth lack of judgement if true but that first tweet tell you everything.

FINAL won't effect decision, they are taking to other managers.

Not sure how anyone can't see that he's gone.

As I said from the start Mutual Agreement.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
I don’t believe when we want to have a certain style of play we would draw up a shortlist of those 4 managers all of which have big differences in style.
It's a shortlist of coaches that tick a lot of the boxes. They will decide from then who fits us best.

When you draw up a shortlist it doesn't mean that all the coaches have to play the same way. Look at the process Liverpool went through, Amorim was on their shortlist but in the end they decided that Amorim wasn't the best fit and went for Slot.

AdNani

It's a shortlist of coaches that tick a lot of the boxes. They will decide from then who fits us best.

When you draw up a shortlist it doesn't mean that all the coaches have to play the same way. Look at the process Liverpool went through, Amorim was on their shortlist but in the end they decided that Amorim wasn't the best fit and went for Slot.
didn't Anorim himself decide he wasn't the best fit

Tom Van Persie

No relation
didn't Anorim himself decide he wasn't the best fit
No the more credible reports I've read in the Athletic and what not is Liverpool decided he wasn't the best fit.

While impressed by his record, Edwards and Hughes had doubts about Amorim’s compatibility with the Liverpool job specifically.

They were unconvinced that his preference for a three-man central defence — shared by Alonso at Leverkusen, incidentally — would suit many of the players he would be working with. But more significant was a nagging concern about Amorim’s playing style. Sporting may have scored 96 goals in 34 league matches this season, but theirs is regarded as a slower style that is less front-foot — both in and out of possession.

George The Best

2nd tweet doesn’t make much sense. Of course he’s not going to talk to another club, unless Utd give permission. We don’t know if Bayern asked for it, or if Utd agreed to it - but if they did then EtH knows he’s a gonner. Just can’t see any truth in that story - just EtH PR imo.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
I don’t believe when we want to have a certain style of play we would draw up a shortlist of those 4 managers all of which have big differences in style.
I think they're completely guessing. Especially as they keep saying "should" we sack him.

BenitoSTARR

Scout
Supports
⭐

If it is the list I’m woefully uninspired.

It feels a lot more like who is available and cheap.
I think they're completely guessing. Especially as they keep saying "should" we sack him.
I think he’s probably gone now though with all the furore.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Ducker also saying the shortlist is McKenna, Tuchel, Frank and Poch and we've reached out to all four

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
If it is the list I’m woefully uninspired.

It feels a lot more like who is available and cheap.

I think he’s probably gone now though with all the furore.
Only one I would actually want is Tuchel. I do not want Poch and the other two are huge gambles. Slim picking indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.