Wilfried Zaha

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I wouldn’t say I am ITK by any means but as well as the stuff in the media I also know a couple of people who tell me there is real interest, and I have no reason to disbelieve them based on their previous. I also know for a fact that Roy is still very keen on Michy and wanted him signed in the summer....if Chelsea also bring in a striker (talk of Werner from what I’ve seen) then I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Michy involved in the deal, though more likely to be in the summer if that happens I guess.

Varun1

I wouldn’t say I am ITK by any means but as well as the stuff in the media I also know a couple of people who tell me there is real interest, and I have no reason to disbelieve them based on their previous. I also know for a fact that Roy is still very keen on Michy and wanted him signed in the summer....if Chelsea also bring in a striker (talk of Werner from what I’ve seen) then I wouldn’t be too surprised to see Michy involved in the deal, though more likely to be in the summer if that happens I guess.
CP would love a part exchange involving Bats, as the amount owed to us will be reduced. Works in their favour.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I think in the case of a player exchange an arbitrary value would be put on Michy and accounted for in the sell-on clause calculation. That said I have no idea who sets the value and how it’s all calculated. :)

AungAung

Supports
Liverpool
Would love to see him move to Wolves or Leicester. They might not be as big as Arsenal or Chelsea traditionally, but both are teams on the up and doing well. Zaha's playstyle also suits both teams especially wolves, which usually plays on the counter.

Giggsyking

I think in the case of a player exchange an arbitrary value would be put on Michy and accounted for in the sell-on clause calculation. That said I have no idea who sets the value and how it’s all calculated. :)
So they can cheat their way from the close? they can value Michy 5m + 25m so the total will be 30m and we get only 6m!

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
I read this a few times from Palace fans during the summer window. Why do you think Chelsea will be in for him? I thought Palace fans were just saying as they didn't want him to go to Arsenal, but at the time felt bad that he'd me missing out on a big move, so started saying Chelsea would move for him once their ban was up. Surely Chelsea are going to be looking at the likes of Sancho and Grealish as attacking options. I'd have thought the likes of Everton, Wolves and maybe Leicester would see him as a useful addition to their squads. The latter 2 have great teams and another dynamic option like Zaha, would give them real attacking strength in depth.
Depth my foot. His vastly Superior to all their options in his position. He walks into their XIs

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
So they can cheat their way from the close? they can value Michy 5m + 25m so the total will be 30m and we get only 6m!
Why the hell would palace care about cheating you?

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Neither club would set the value anyway, think it’d go to a tribunal who would decide a ‘fee‘ that Bats is worth. So if we got £30m+Bats and they valued Batshuayi at £25m you’d receive a % of £55m. Unfortunately.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Neither club would set the value anyway, think it’d go to a tribunal who would decide a ‘fee‘ that Bats is worth. So if we got £30m+Bats and they valued Batshuayi at £25m you’d receive a % of £55m. Unfortunately.
What? No, michy's value would be decided by the clubs, obviously. A tribunal would only intervene in the case the said value were to be outlandish, as it would be accounting fraud...

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Would make sense but either way he cannot be valued at 5m as per giggskyking’s suggestion.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Would make sense but either way he cannot be valued at 5m as per giggskyking’s suggestion.
Well he could actually, sure. Afterall if chelsea want to lose money they're free to it. More relevant is that it wouldn't make sense for palace. Palace would want to get zaha's fee as high as possible, while keeping bats fee reasonably lower

I mean, 30m for zaha-5m for bats-7.5m to united=22.5m profit on the books and bats+17.5m in the coffers in practical terms

100m for zaha-50 for bats-25 to united=100m profit on the books and bats+25m in practice

Pretty obvious which one's better for palace

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Wolves? Do me a favour!

From what I have heard there is reasonably solid interest in him from Chelsea; I presume it’s because Pedro is likely to go and Willian hasn’t agreed a new contract, so there are potentially two vacancies to fill on the wing. I expect Chelsea are also interested in Sancho to be fair, but so are a lot of other teams and there‘s only one Sancho to go around.

Wilf also deserves more respect on his name you know, people love an emergence (check the hype on Adama Traore and Grealish right now) but Wilf has consistently carried us like that for seasons. Easily good enough to make an impact at a proper big club, not a Wolves, Everton or Leicester.
I'm not convinced Zaha is the right player for Chelsea. I get the feeling his strength is attacking from deeper positions and using his pace to break through. Chelsea need a player with a bit of trickery to break down teams who sit deep and defend till the last. He does assist and score so maybe it will work out but for me it's not an obvious pairing. £80m is far too much. There is speculation that Giroud could go the other way in a cash plus deal. £30m + Giroud? They might pay a bit more but there's no way £80m is anywhere near his real value.

PS. If at all possible you really should change your forum name.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Sure we are a counter-attacking side but you cannot leave Wilf one on one with a full-back, if you do he’s going past them no question. He leads the charts for successful take-ons and is up there every year so you need to watch him a bit more closely if you are not sure he is tricky enough. I have seen sides double, sometimes treble up on him and unfortunately our lot don’t have the quality to make use of the space that it leaves. Put him in a better attack and I think he (and they) will flourish with the extra space they get.

In terms of the major flaws in his game, you could argue his mentality is one; he is pretty easy to wind up. Secondly I am not sure his ball striking technique is up there with the best in the world, more than a few crosses are overhit and his shooting can be erratic at times too. He also takes too many touches occassionally, though I think that would improve in a better team with more options for him to pass to. I watched your game at the weekend and there’s no question in my mind he’d contribute a lot.

PS yes unfortunate choice in username! I do know he’s been through a rough few years so I hope he can rehabilitate himself.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
Sure we are a counter-attacking side but you cannot leave Wilf one on one with a full-back, if you do he’s going past them no question. He leads the charts for successful take-ons and is up there every year so you need to watch him a bit more closely if you are not sure he is tricky enough. I have seen sides double, sometimes treble up on him and unfortunately our lot don’t have the quality to make use of the space that it leaves. Put him in a better attack and I think he (and they) will flourish with the extra space they get.

In terms of the major flaws in his game, you could argue his mentality is one; he is pretty easy to wind up. Secondly I am not sure his ball striking technique is up there with the best in the world, more than a few crosses are overhit and his shooting can be erratic at times too. He also takes too many touches occassionally, though I think that would improve in a better team with more options for him to pass to. I watched your game at the weekend and there’s no question in my mind he’d contribute a lot.

PS yes unfortunate choice in username! I do know he’s been through a rough few years so I hope he can rehabilitate himself.
Thanks for the info on Zaha. Maybe he can help Chelsea's attack but the price tag is a bit steep. Maybe Giroud going the other way may help.

PS. Shipperley is a convicted sex case and I'm not convinced any amount of rehab will change that label. I'd definitely change the name mate.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I don’t see us being interested in Giroud to be honest, we already have 2 strikers of that ‘type’ in Wickham and Benteke. It’ll be a more mobile striker that we go after, someone that can get in behind and stretch defences.

blue blue

Supports
chelsea
I don’t see us being interested in Giroud to be honest, we already have 2 strikers of that ‘type’ in Wickham and Benteke. It’ll be a more mobile striker that we go after, someone that can get in behind and stretch defences.
Maybe you should think about signing Shipperley again. He likes to get in behind and stretch defences.
(I'm sorry I couldn't help myself. I know that's an entirely inappropriate response and doesn't even reflect the offense for which he was convicted)

Dorris

Well he could actually, sure. Afterall if chelsea want to lose money they're free to it. More relevant is that it wouldn't make sense for palace. Palace would want to get zaha's fee as high as possible, while keeping bats fee reasonably lower

I mean, 30m for zaha-5m for bats-7.5m to united=22.5m profit on the books and bats+17.5m in the coffers in practical terms

100m for zaha-50 for bats-25 to united=100m profit on the books and bats+25m in practice

Pretty obvious which one's better for palace
The basic idea is if Palace can swap actual fees for a Chelsea player they'd be better off. Not really sure what you're trying to say, just seems like 'if Chelsea pay an extra 50m for Zaha, that's better for Palace!'. Obviously...

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
The basic idea is if Palace can swap actual fees for a Chelsea player they'd be better off. Not really sure what you're trying to say, just seems like 'if Chelsea pay an extra 50m for Zaha, that's better for Palace!'. Obviously...
That depends on how the % is calculated. In a player swap, technically the value of the swapped player is added to the total fee, but it may be the % is calculated only on the cash part. In that case yeah, for Palace it would be better to do the swap instead of keeping the deals separate

Deery

Dreary
Was just thinking about Zaha today, such a pity we didn’t hold onto him a bit longer he’d be a very useful player to have about now..

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
Still gutted we couldn't sign him in the summer and then went out and panic bought Iwobi instead. Richarlson Calvert-Lewin Zaha front three would have been very exciting.

Still gutted we couldn't sign him in the summer and then went out and panic bought Iwobi instead. Richarlson Calvert-Lewin Zaha front three would have been very exciting.
That Iwobi buy is one of the most mind-bogglingly terrible PL moves in recent history. A 23 year old winger with 0 history of end product going for 30 million. You lot have had quite a few stinkers since the money came in.

Ibe and Solanke to Bournemouth still take the cake for me though.

Zaha would have been wildly overpriced with what Palace were demanding but you can afford it, that would have been a great front three.

mu4c_20le

CP wanted 70m for him, maybe would have made a deal for 50-60 but that's still more than twice of what they paid for Iwobi. Not sure if Zaha would go there either as he wanted a top club.

Solanke is mind boggling for sure, one of those players that are still living off their reputation in the reserves.

RedDevilRoshi

Was just thinking about Zaha today, such a pity we didn’t hold onto him a bit longer he’d be a very useful player to have about now..
Nah, personally not for me. I think he’s one of the most overrated players in the league.

KennyBurner

Nah, personally not for me. I think he’s one of the most overrated players in the league.
Not overrated but his decision making let’s him down a lot. One of those players that can’t help himself after he’s dribbled the first defender. Must dribble at least 2 more before making the final pass by which is then no longer available.

KennyBurner

No lie, Iwobi was such a weird signing for you guys. My arsenal friends were over the moon with that sale.
Arsenal wouldn’t be 10th if they still had a player like iwobi. Not as good as Zaha but still a creative outlet that provides balance. Thankful to emery for letting him go with Ramsey.

SambaBoy

That Iwobi buy is one of the most mind-bogglingly terrible PL moves in recent history. A 23 year old winger with 0 history of end product going for 30 million. You lot have had quite a few stinkers since the money came in.

Ibe and Solanke to Bournemouth still take the cake for me though.

Zaha would have been wildly overpriced with what Palace were demanding but you can afford it, that would have been a great front three.
I think it was £40m which makes it even worse. Everton have been terrible in the transfer market since Moshiri came in.

Like you said, they should have just went for Zaha especially if your second choice is Iwobi.

BigDunc9

Supports
Everton
@Valencia Shin Crosses @RedTiger

It was all very strange, we had chased Zaha for months and he even apparently put a transfer request in to leave. Fair enough if Palace don't want to sell but i don't get why we shifted our focus on to Iwobi, he is nothing like Zaha as a player at all. We would of been better trying again in January rather buying a player who fits the team.

I still don't get where Iwobi fits into our team, he doesn't feel like a winger at all and certainly looks better as a number 10 through the middle but i don't see us playing a formation that fits him in with the players we have. The only hope is if he can play in a 3 man midfield as the most attacking player as his best attribute is that he carries the ball very well and is very forward thinking with his passing but the question mark is he would have the energy for such a role. I would like to hear more opinions from Arsenal fans about him.

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal
Arsenal wouldn’t be 10th if they still had a player like iwobi. Not as good as Zaha but still a creative outlet that provides balance. Thankful to emery for letting him go with Ramsey.
Let's not overreact now :lol: I quite liked Iwobi and would not have minded having him around but his end product is infuriating and a wonder goal every 6 months won't change that.
I was shocked we managed to get that much for him and would sell him 10 times out of 10. Our problems are way bigger than this and goes through the whole team (club?)

romufc

It was all very strange, we had chased Zaha for months and he even apparently put a transfer request in to leave. Fair enough if Palace don't want to sell but i don't get why we shifted our focus on to Iwobi, he is nothing like Zaha as a player at all. We would of been better trying again in January rather buying a player who fits the team.

I still don't get where Iwobi fits into our team, he doesn't feel like a winger at all and certainly looks better as a number 10 through the middle but i don't see us playing a formation that fits him in with the players we have. The only hope is if he can play in a 3 man midfield as the most attacking player as his best attribute is that he carries the ball very well and is very forward thinking with his passing but the question mark is he would have the energy for such a role. I would like to hear more opinions from Arsenal fans about him.
Everton's transfer policy is quite bad at times. The amount of money they have spent. £40m for Iwobi, £22m for Gbamin, £27m for Mina.

It is somewhat what United always did, pay over the odds for not great players.

RyRoc

You've described him very well, he's an elegant player and can see and execute a pass but the problem with him is he doesn't score or assist enough to be a number 10 (you just simply can't be that kind of player in the modern day game unless you're a side where your front three are regularly on the scoresheet) and out wide he's very uncomfortable. He clearly wants to always come inside and can be really frustrating watch him go past a player stop and then try to go in field where there is plenty of bodies and things just become overcomplicated. There was a month at the start under Emery where he was a lot more direct and looked a far better player for it but quickly went back to his old ways of slowing the game down.

For what it's worth I think most Arsenal fans would have been fine with keeping him for another season but when that £35 million offer came in it was too good to turn down - can't see him ever producing the numbers to be worth that kind of money.

passing-wind

If City are asking for 62 million (70 mill Euros) for Sane surely a club can pick Zaha for around 40 million. The only top 6 team who could potentially have room is Chelsea if Willian leaves.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everton's transfer policy is quite bad at times. The amount of money they have spent. £40m for Iwobi, £22m for Gbamin, £27m for Mina.

It is somewhat what United always did, pay over the odds for not great players.
Bit unfair to say that in reagrds to Gbamin. He has had two freak injuries that will mean he hasn't been able to show if he is good or not.

I don't think Mina is that bad. He's a bit rash with his decision making sometimes but he's a pretty good player and Zouma was always our no. 1 CB target.

Iwobi wasn't 40m. He was 28m. I don't get where this 40m myth comes from.

romufc

Bit unfair to say that in reagrds to Gbamin. He has had two freak injuries that will mean he hasn't been able to show if he is good or not.

I don't think Mina is that bad. He's a bit rash with his decision making sometimes but he's a pretty good player and Zouma was always our no. 1 CB target.

Fair enough, lets be fair that money has not been wisely spent. Obviously it is going to be difficult now for Everton to catch the top 6 given how much Newcastle will spend.

The task has become that much harder for mid table teams.

fps

Mina's a good player. A lot of players go to Everton and underperform. I think this is partly due to the feel of the club, partly that they target players who are going to feel deflated at no longer being at the top top clubs. They need more upwardly mobile young players.

georgipep

Fair enough, lets be fair that money has not been wisely spent. Obviously it is going to be difficult now for Everton to catch the top 6 given how much Newcastle will spend.

The task has become that much harder for mid table teams.
The Newcastle takeover is anything but certain. I won't start entertaining the thought of them being transfer trendsetters just yet