5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySmith1990

Even the most negative and miserable of United fans wouldn't have predicted he'd be so bad. Undoubtedly the worst striker we've ever had at the club. It feels ridiculous to call him a striker though tbh. We'd have probably been better off playing Maguire up front, at least he can win headers

Yagami

Good post resistant
Made Ighalo seem like prime Rooney. At least Ighalo could hold the ball up under pressure, like he did for that McTominay goal in the derby just before Covid I believe.

Steve 007

In my opinion, he’s underrated and over abused. The guy should not only win our player of the year, he should win the PL award too.

El Jefe

Three weeks after being here I posted that I doubt he'd score again this season. He had one goal at the time vs Forest in the Carabao cup. He exceeded my expectations as he actually did score one more.

It was obvious after a few weeks that he was a waste of a signing. I've watched football for a long time and can't remember a player that I was so sure would offer no goal threat. I had zero expectation or excitement when the ball would go to him in potential threatening situations.

It seemed like everyone else felt the same way. Seeing Wout on getting ready to come on as a sub was almost confirmation that we weren't going to score.

El Zoido

You’d think you could get any dump striker from any professional league and they’d score at least a few goals for us given the chances we create. He contributed well at the start and I thought the goals would come, but instead his contribution declined and the goals didn’t come. Seems like a really nice bloke but he was really, really bad. As bad as I’ve ever seen anyone in a red shirt. Thanks for trying, I guess.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
I think we had a thread months ago about converting McTominay into a striker, admittedly I laughed and disregarded such a dumb idea

but now with hindsight, im almost sure he could have done a better job than Wout.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
I think we had a thread months ago about converting McTominay into a striker, admittedly I laughed and disregarded such a dumb idea

but now with hindsight, im almost sure he could have done a better job than Wout.
I don't think he would. He's shown some nice finishing before but it's a lot easier to pop them away without the pressure of playing up top for United. There's every chance Scott would've melted like Wout has and his all round game would definitely have been worse.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Three weeks after being here I posted that I doubt he'd score again this season. He had one goal at the time vs Forest in the Carabao cup. He exceeded my expectations as he actually did score one more.

It was obvious after a few weeks that he was a waste of a signing. I've watched football for a long time and can't remember a player that I was so sure would offer no goal threat. I had zero expectation or excitement when the ball would go to him in potential threatening situations.

It seemed like everyone else felt the same way. Seeing Wout on getting ready to come on as a sub was almost confirmation that we weren't going to score.
Exactly how I've felt every time I saw him getting ready to come on. Doubly frustrating when he's brought on as we're chasing a goal.

Malone_Post

The worst player I have ever seen play regularly for this club. He’s genuinely a Championship level player and I’m not even being hyperbolic. The sight of him warming up and coming on has become the moment I’ve given up hope of us scoring a goal in every single match it’s happened. A truly hideous footballer.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So for the first month and a half how would you rate him, average?

And since then?
Yeah, average sounds about right. He still had some bad games in that period but he also had some good games, so average overall. If he'd maintained that level throughout his time here I would have figured it was a decent emergency loan considering the situation we were in.

Since then he's struggled badly and has been terrible.

Last edited:

rpitchfo

By a distance the worst player to ever get consistent game time for United.

stevoc

Yeah, average sounds about right. He still had some bad games in that period but he also had some good games, so average overall. If he'd maintained that level throughout his time here I would have figured it was a decent emergency loan considering the situation we were in.

Since then he's struggled badly and has been terrible.
Fair enough mate, I suppose I'd largely agree. In his first run of games he worked hard and contributed to our run of wins.

Since around the League Cup final though he's been abysmal. I genuinely have no idea why Ten Hag has insisted on using him almost every game.

Yesterday was a perfect example, had no idea what the boss thought he could bring to the game.

Djemba-Djemba

Up to the League Cup final he was average to borderline ok. For his standards I mean, even at that point we're talking about a striker who had scored 1 goal in 12 starts so it wasn't great but by Weghorst standards he was ok.

He would have games where he was rubbish, Leeds at home and Barcelona at home for example , but also games where he was pretty decent like Forest away in the cup and Leeds away.

Then in the League cup final he was actually good, got an assist for Rashford and almost scored a screamer himself.

From then to the end of the season he's been absolutely fecking atrocious. Genuinely embarrassing at points, City being able to bring on Foden or Mahrez or Alvarez if they needed a goal and us having to throw on Mctominay and Weghorst when we needed a goal summed up the difference.

BorisManUtd

That's more believable. Still a pathetically poor stat given the number of games played, but not surprising.
Yeah. As a striker you are expected to have 4/5 shots on target in maximum 3 games, took Wout 17 and he started in 10 of those 17.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
If he scored all those sitters he wouldnt look so bad. Thankfully he did not. If Pep had him as the main striker for 60% of his season he would moan about it. Ten Hag had a patience of a Saint, he deserves a proper CF more than any manager. Because even the relegation candidates (who are now relegated) have CFs more productive than Weghorst. Let that sink in...

Mike Smalling

I refuse to believe ETH will bring him back, after his performances.

Thanks Wout, but bye.

Wilt

Doubt Wout features in Kompany’s plans, will probably sell …..to Utd if we’re lucky!

stevoc

I refuse to believe ETH will bring him back, after his performances.

Thanks Wout, but bye.
You say that but let's remember he's continued to use him almost every game despite those performances. As obviously he thinks he brings something to the table. Even if no one else can see what that something is.

Mike Smalling

You say that but let's remember he's continued to use him almost every game despite those performances. As obviously he thinks he brings something to the table. Even if no one else can see what that something is.
I’m hoping it’s mostly out of necessity. For all his deficiencies, Wout is still a player to throw on when Martial is perpetually injured, Rashford is running on fumes etc. He did overplay him, but there were not a ton of other options. Maybe he could have used a bit more Garnacho at times, but even he has been out.

Lee565

Sorry but once he came on the pitch I knew we were not scoring, he makes the team so much worse in attack and is hopeless in all areas of his play

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
When will we have the club’s official communication confirming that he is leaving and thanking him for all his contributions and goals?

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
If he scored all those sitters he wouldnt look so bad. Thankfully he did not. If Pep had him as the main striker for 60% of his season he would moan about it. Ten Hag had a patience of a Saint, he deserves a proper CF more than any manager. Because even the relegation candidates (who are now relegated) have CFs more productive than Weghorst. Let that sink in...
That is completely true, and so surreal and damning on the club…

Foxes have Iheanacho and Vardy ffs. TWO STRIKERS better than a team with almost unlimited resources who finished 3rd.

The Weghorst signing is so odd it demands answers imo. Why the feck did ETH bring him in and then continue to play and even start him?

Crimson King

That is completely true, and so surreal and damning on the club…

Foxes have Iheanacho and Vardy ffs. TWO STRIKERS better than a team with almost unlimited resources who finished 3rd.

The Weghorst signing is so odd it demands answers imo. Why the feck did ETH bring him in and then continue to play and even start him?
FFS, I can't believe people even still have to ask this question.

His options were very limited, so he went for someone he knew would give him at least full commitment and professionalism. I doubt he was presented with a list of top class strikers but tore that list up and said 'no, get me Wout Weghorst or nobody'.

Also, in case you've forgotten, Martial got injured almost as soon as Wout signed, leaving him as our only fit striker for a huge chunk of the season. Even when Martial was back, he looked so unfit that he barely offered anything more than Wout did leading the line.

Some of you are so fecking entitled it's ridiculous!

Flying_Heckfish

Absolutely dreadful, useless, waste of breath talking about him honestly.

Hope those who defended his performances are happy though! Not many of them in this thread now I notice.

Unam333

His options were very limited, so he went for someone he knew would give him at least full commitment and professionalism. I doubt he was presented with a list of top class strikers but tore that list up and said 'no, get me Wout Weghorst or nobody'.

Also, in case you've forgotten, Martial got injured almost as soon as Wout signed, leaving him as our only fit striker for a huge chunk of the season. Even when Martial was back, he looked so unfit that he barely offered anything more than Wout did leading the line.

You're absolutely right. People still don't understand the situation we were in. Our hands were tied due to the Glazers unwilling to fork out money to sign a striker, the striker market is both depleted and inflated, even making loan deals was a pain in the ass. There was no option. Yes, there was: Arnautovic, but United fans were quick to show their distain for him (and rightly so).

Golden Nugget

Yep. If the rumours were to be believed, I believe ETH’s first choice was Gakpo.

ThanksBoss26

You're absolutely right. People still don't understand the situation we were in. Our hands were tied due to the Glazers unwilling to fork out money to sign a striker, the striker market is both depleted and inflated, even making loan deals was a pain in the ass. There was no option. Yes, there was: Arnautovic, but United fans were quick to show their distain for him (and rightly so).
Yep we had no choice but to take a punt in Jan - no cash available, Martial being as reliable as ever for form and fitness. Didn't come off and now we all move on. Simple as that really. Weghorst only started once in the last two months of the season by my reckoning (West Ham away) so was being used significantly less than before then.

Crimson King

Yep. If the rumours were to be believed, I believe ETH’s first choice was Gakpo.
We probably would have signed him in the summer if Ronaldo had left then, rather than dig his heels in until a UCL team came knocking.

He hasn't looked a natural #9 for Liverpool, but it's obvious he would have offered far more in that position than Wout has.

LDUred

I watch a bit of League One football and he looked like he might get games for the Shrewsbury and Fleetwood Towns of this world.

How he got any caps for the Dutch and scored twice against Argentina is simply a mystery.

I've honestly never seen a worse player get consistent games for this club. He looked about the level of Bebe and Manucho who in all fairness were hit and hope signings all day long and inexperienced when they arrived at the club.

The only striker I would say he was better than was Dong.

Last edited:

Rhyme Animal

Thinks Di Zerbi is better than Pep.
I find it really difficult to believe that even with the shitty ownership of the Glazers, Wout Weghorst or Arnautovic were literally the only options in World football available to the club…

In fact, I find it really difficult to believe that there are fans who truly believe that’s the case and cry ‘entitlement’ toward anyone who dares suggest a club of Man Utd’s resources could’ve done better than Weghorst.

I’d just love to know whether it was a case Weghorst being forced on ETH, or ETH forcing him on the club, because I think it’s very unlikely that both ETH and the boardroom were both idiotic enough to share the view that Wout was our best option.

Be interesting to see if Burnley still want him next season after his inept performances in the PL for Utd…

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.