5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DavelinaJolie

Probably looking for a cheap option to back up the oft-injured Calvert-Lewin, similarly lanky, not similarly skilled.

stevoc

FFS, I can't believe people even still have to ask this question.

His options were very limited, so he went for someone he knew would give him at least full commitment and professionalism. I doubt he was presented with a list of top class strikers but tore that list up and said 'no, get me Wout Weghorst or nobody'.

Also, in case you've forgotten, Martial got injured almost as soon as Wout signed, leaving him as our only fit striker for a huge chunk of the season. Even when Martial was back, he looked so unfit that he barely offered anything more than Wout did leading the line.

Some of you are so fecking entitled it's ridiculous!
Do you imagine that Weghorst was high on the list of strikers United had been tracking for potential transfers?

Ten Hag has basically been given total control of transfers since he came in. Other than Casemiro we signed Martinez, Antony, Eriksen and Malacia. All current/former Ajax or Dutch, and spent most of the summer trying to sign former Ajax midfielder DeJong before moveing onto Casemiro.

So who's idea exactly do you think it was to sign Weghorst?

Hughes35

I think i'm right in saying that Dyche signed Wout for Burnley?

He must be a fan of the player...... I've absolutely no idea why though.

If I was an Everton fan I'd be cringing if they sign Weghorst. He's an awful player.

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
I think i'm right in saying that Dyche signed Wout for Burnley?

He must be a fan of the player...... I've absolutely no idea why though.

If I was an Everton fan I'd be cringing if they sign Weghorst. He's an awful player.
With our luck, he’ll be banging many important goals there.

Crimson King

Do you imagine that Weghorst was high on the list of strikers United had been tracking for potential transfers?

Ten Hag has basically been given total control of transfers since he came in. Other than Casemiro we signed Martinez, Antony, Eriksen and Malacia. All current/former Ajax or Dutch, and spent most of the summer trying to sign former Ajax midfielder DeJong before moveing onto Casemiro.

So who's idea exactly do you think it was to sign Weghorst?
I don't understand the point you're trying to make?

Obviously Weghorst wouldn't have been anywhere near the list of potential strikers the club, or EtH, would have wanted to sign, but the point was that we couldn't sign anyone that would cost more than a nominal loan fee + wages. That was the limitation set by the owners.

We don't know who was actually available. It's likely that Wout wasn't the first choice and other options were sounded out first, but signing a ST good enough for a team who were challenging for top 4 on loan for half a season was always going to be difficult. Most players wouldn't want to come with that insecurity, or would want some kind of guarantee of a permanent contract at the end. You're suddenly looking at a much bigger financial risk then. We could have ended up with our own Jean-Kévin Augustin on our hands, and that's not even taking into consideration things like would a player want to uproot their family? If they did, what if they didn't settle straight away and the player was miserable for the whole time he was on loan here?

Wout obviously wasn't good enough and failed to meet even my basic expectations, but he actually wanted to come here and gave up a guaranteed contract at Besiktas. He'd already lived in the area and had actually played in the PL, even if it was for Burnley.

So sure, EtH chose him, but unless you personally know who he overlooked and why, then I don't see why it's constantly being used on this site to undermine the job he's done this season.

Honestly, it really feels like half the fans on this forum at the moment are just miserable bastards who look for any excuse to take digs at the manager or players.

stevoc

I don't understand the point you're trying to make?

Obviously Weghorst wouldn't have been anywhere near the list of potential strikers the club, or EtH, would have wanted to sign, but the point was that we couldn't sign anyone that would cost more than a nominal loan fee + wages. That was the limitation set by the owners.

We don't know who was actually available. It's likely that Wout wasn't the first choice and other options were sounded out first, but signing a ST good enough for a team who were challenging for top 4 on loan for half a season was always going to be difficult. Most players wouldn't want to come with that insecurity, or would want some kind of guarantee of a permanent contract at the end. You're suddenly looking at a much bigger financial risk then. We could have ended up with our own Jean-Kévin Augustin on our hands, and that's not even taking into consideration things like would a player want to uproot their family? If they did, what if they didn't settle straight away and the player was miserable for the whole time he was on loan here?

Wout obviously wasn't good enough and failed to meet even my basic expectations, but he actually wanted to come here and gave up a guaranteed contract at Besiktas. He'd already lived in the area and had actually played in the PL, even if it was for Burnley.

So sure, EtH chose him, but unless you personally know who he overlooked and why, then I don't see why it's constantly being used on this site to undermine the job he's done this season.

Honestly, it really feels like half the fans on this forum at the moment are just miserable bastards who look for any excuse to take digs at the manager or players.
My point is obvious, ten Hag wanted Weghorst and signing him was obviously his idea. This is reinforced by the fact he played him in almost every game he could to justify the decision despite is awful level of performance.

Do I think we could have spent £40-50+ on a striker in January no but I also think we didn't have to restrict ourselves to just strikers who were 'available' that's rubbish. You make players available by making bids or loan proposals for them. Even in the £10-20m market I have zero doubt we could have got a better striker than Weghorst. I actually find it hard to believe we went so far down a list of potential strikers to arrive at a player of Wouts ability at all, which leads me to personally believe he jumped to the top of the list because Ten Hag wanted him. We signed him in early January also let's remember and would have signed even earlier than that if Besiktas hadn't drawn things out. It's not like he was a deadline day signing after searching Europe for a month and failing to get anyone else. We weren't even really linked with any other players bar Felix who isn't even a striker.

So while I have faith in Tan Hag wanting Weghorst and insisting on playing him so much is a cause for concern to me.

Kostov

Some of the GK experts one here reckon that a modern cheap improvement on DDG will make Weghorst here look like Ibra, maybe we should sign him on permanent deal after all.

Crimson King

My point is obvious, ten Hag wanted Weghorst and signing him was obviously his idea. This is reinforced by the fact he played him in almost every game he could to justify the decision despite is awful level of performance.

Do I think we could have spent £40-50+ on a striker in January no but I also think we didn't have to restrict ourselves to just strikers who were 'available' that's rubbish. You make players available by making bids or loan proposals for them. Even in the £10-20m market I have zero doubt we could have got a better striker than Weghorst. I actually find it hard to believe we went so far down a list of potential strikers to arrive at a player of Wouts ability at all, which leads me to personally believe he jumped to the top of the list because Ten Hag wanted him. We signed him in early January also let's remember and would have signed even earlier than that if Besiktas hadn't drawn things out. It's not like he was a deadline day signing after searching Europe for a month and failing to get anyone else. We weren't even really linked with any other players bar Felix who isn't even a striker.

So while I have faith in Tan Hag wanting Weghorst and insisting on playing him so much is a cause for concern to me.
So much of your your post is based on conjecture, and you're just repeating the same half baked arguments that keep getting pushed on here.

Who are these £10-20m strikers we could have bid on so that they magically became available? I mean, have you seen the going price for a young, unproven striker these days?! Not to mention most clubs double their prices in the winter window as they don't want to sell.

Even if that player did exist, how much money would they want? How long would the contract need to be? Sure they might be better than Wout and get a few more goals, but beyond that would they be good enough? We'd still need a new forward, right? So suddenly you've spent that money on one of your real targets you're hoping to sign in the summer, when we already need to keep an eye on FFP and the Glazers are dicking about selling the club. Lo and behold, we're back to signing stop gaps for key positions.

I don't know why you're concerned about him playing Wout so much, because who else was he supposed to play? As soon as Martial was fit to start Wout was back on the bench, not that Tony did much better.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
To be fair, Weghorst did give everything for the shirt. Just wasn't just good enough.

In hindsight, EtH was onto a decent cheap backup in Arnautovic. We all mocked him at the time and if reports are correct the club pulled out due to racism concerns.

Last edited:

stevoc

So much of your your post is based on conjecture, and you're just repeating the same half baked arguments that keep getting pushed on here.
Mostly based on the events surrounding his signing and how he was used to be fair. WIth a bit of common sense and yes speculation thrown in.

Who are these £10-20m strikers we could have bid on so that they magically became available? I mean, have you seen the going price for a young, unproven striker these days?! Not to mention most clubs double their prices in the winter window as they don't want to sell.
Ah the old ''Who are these strikers?'' argument.

If we're talking about strikers better than Wout then virtually every other striker in the PL for a start and I'd imagine another 50-100 around Europe. You don't need magic when you have money, you keep pushing this narrative and trying to make out like one of the worlds biggest clubs could only sign a limited player like Weghorst. You nor I have any idea how much was actualy available for a loan or a permanent signing in January.

Even if that player did exist, how much money would they want? How long would the contract need to be? Sure they might be better than Wout and get a few more goals, but beyond that would they be good enough? We'd still need a new forward, right? So suddenly you've spent that money on one of your real targets you're hoping to sign in the summer, when we already need to keep an eye on FFP and the Glazers are dicking about selling the club. Lo and behold, we're back to signing stop gaps for key positions.
Feck sake mate seriously? Are you new to transfers?

If you lose a player unexpectedly (Ronaldo) you go out sign a decent player to fill a need in the short term either on loan or on a permanent. It can be a young prospect or an older experienced player doesn't matter. Once the season is over you either move them on again or keep them for a year as a back-up. It's not rocket science.

I don't know why you're concerned about him playing Wout so much, because who else was he supposed to play? As soon as Martial was fit to start Wout was back on the bench, not that Tony did much better.
I'm concerned because he's a truly atrocious player technically and negatively affected our attacking play in virtually every game he was involved in. A lot has been made about Ten Hag only playing players who are playing well and dropping others for poor performances. That wasn't the case with Wout though who started 17 odd games in a row and then was always the 1st or 2nd sub off the bench despite consistent dogshit performances.

Any other attacking player in the squad would have been an improvement on him, especially when he was deployed as a no10 for some unfathomable reason (probably just to shoehorn him in somewhere). Garnacho, Sancho, Pellestri, Fred, McTominay, Sabitzer Rashford up front, Bruno as a false 9 in any combination you like. At a push even Maguire up front when chasing a game would have been a better option at least he provides an actual aeriel threat.

Let's be honest here Weghorst had no business being at a club like United and almost certainly wouldn't have been on the clubs scouting radar. We only signed him because Ten Hag for some reason wanted him and thought he was pulling off a master stroke. He got it wrong, badly wrong and he knew it which explains why he persevered with him and involved him in virtually every game.

Crimson King

Mostly based on the events surrounding his signing and how he was used to be fair. WIth a bit of common sense and yes speculation thrown in.

Ah the old ''Who are these strikers?'' argument.

If we're talking about strikers better than Wout then virtually every other striker in the PL for a start and I'd imagine another 50-100 around Europe. You don't need magic when you have money, you keep pushing this narrative and trying to make out like one of the worlds biggest clubs could only sign a limited player like Weghorst. You nor I have any idea how much was actualy available for a loan or a permanent signing in January.

Feck sake mate seriously? Are you new to transfers?

If you lose a player unexpectedly (Ronaldo) you go out sign a decent player to fill a need in the short term either on loan or on a permanent. It can be a young prospect or an older experienced player doesn't matter. Once the season is over you either move them on again or keep them for a year as a back-up. It's not rocket science.

I'm concerned because he's a truly atrocious player technically and negatively affected our attacking play in virtually every game he was involved in. A lot has been made about Ten Hag only playing players who are playing well and dropping others for poor performances. That wasn't the case with Wout though who started 17 odd games in a row and then was always the 1st or 2nd sub off the bench despite consistent dogshit performances.

Any other attacking player in the squad would have been an improvement on him, especially when he was deployed as a no10 for some unfathomable reason (probably just to shoehorn him in somewhere). Garnacho, Sancho, Pellestri, Fred, McTominay, Sabitzer Rashford up front, Bruno as a false 9 in any combination you like. At a push even Maguire up front when chasing a game would have been a better option at least he provides an actual aeriel threat.

Let's be honest here Weghorst had no business being at a club like United and almost certainly wouldn't have been on the clubs scouting radar. We only signed him because Ten Hag for some reason wanted him and thought he was pulling off a master stroke. He got it wrong, badly wrong and he knew it which explains why he persevered with him and involved him in virtually every game.
Ok well the fact you fancied sticking Maguire up front says if all really. I'm not sure I can take you seriously anymore.

I've obviously never worked on transfers for a football club, but I doubt you have either, so neither of us really knows how it works. But I don't think it was as simple as bringing in someone that's better than Weghorst, for reasons I've already touched on. If it had been possible, then they would have done it.

You've dismissed my argument, but yet again failed to actually name a player you think might have been available in the short term. And it's not that easy to just 'move on' players, is it? The club has been struggling to do that for a long time, so we'd just be straddled with more deadwood on a long contract. In case you haven't noticed, the club isn't rich at the moment. We've squandered too much money and our parasitic owners have stopped even pretending they see the club as anything more than a cash cow.

EtH has put a lot of emphasis on winning and trying to get the club back to where it should be. I don't think he would have signed a player, then kept playing him no matter what, out of some kind of hubris. If Maguire or Pellistri would have been a better option then he would have played them. He's the one working with them everyday in training, so I think he has a slightly better idea of what they're capable of.

Alfie092

He did give it his all for the club, unfortunately it was nowhere near good enough.

I do hope he gets a club in the PL where he can do well enough to succeed. Just do not know if there is a PL club out there where he would succeed in...

stevoc

Ok well the fact you fancied sticking Maguire up front says if all really. I'm not sure I can take you seriously anymore.
So let me get this right do you actually think Weghorst is a goal threat? Do you think he has provided United with an aeriel threat when he's been brought on in games we were chasing?

I've obviously never worked on transfers for a football club, but I doubt you have either, so neither of us really knows how it works. But I don't think it was as simple as bringing in someone that's better than Weghorst, for reasons I've already touched on. If it had been possible, then they would have done it.
No the fact that you think it was impossible for United to sign a striker better than Weghorst in January actually says it all mate.

One of the worlds biggest clubs couldn't identify or afford a striker better than Wout, do you really believe that?

You've dismissed my argument, but yet again failed to actually name a player you think might have been available in the short term. And it's not that easy to just 'move on' players, is it? The club has been struggling to do that for a long time, so we'd just be straddled with more deadwood on a long contract. In case you haven't noticed, the club isn't rich at the moment. We've squandered too much money and our parasitic owners have stopped even pretending they see the club as anything more than a cash cow.
So you are new to football transfers, almost all players are available at all times for the right price. It wouldn't have cost much to sign a striker better than Wout. No idea why I need to actually name one, between the top 5 leagues there's around 100 clubs and at least 200 strikers. Pick one and there's a good chance he's better than what we signed.

How many strikers do you think were approached before settling on Weghorst? If Weghorst was so far down our list of targets as you say then who were the other targets? Which other strikers were we linked to in December/January before the links to Weghorst got solid?

EtH has put a lot of emphasis on winning and trying to get the club back to where it should be. I don't think he would have signed a player, then kept playing him no matter what, out of some kind of hubris. If Maguire or Pellistri would have been a better option then he would have played them. He's the one working with them everyday in training, so I think he has a slightly better idea of what they're capable of.
What Weghorst did in training is irrelevant when we seen what he was doing in matches, not a lot.

It does't necessarily have to be hubris on Ten Hag's part, he asked for Weghorst probably over other strikers the club had been tracking. He got it badly wrong and maybe didn't want to risk losing some of his influence on transfers going forward. It's the only thing that explains his insistence on playing Weghorst in virtually every game despite his dogshit performances. Even shoehorning him into the no10 postion. A position he is laughably ill suited for and has never played in his career before coming to United.

ElDiabloRojo

He got his winners medal and enjoyed his day.

Good luck to him, at least the loan is finished and he isn't staying.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
To be fair, Weghorst did give everything in the shirt. Just wasn't just good enough.

In hindsight, EtH was onto a decent cheap backup in Arnautovic. We all mocked him at the time and if reports are correct the club pulled out due to racism concerns.
Our fanbase has a habit of not wanting good strikers because of their abhorrent personal lives. It's weird.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
Our fanbase has a habit of not wanting good strikers because of their abhorrent personal lives. It's weird.
I'm not saying the fans are wrong. EtH/club did the right once they found out about his personal issues.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Hopefully that ends the ungreat United chapter of Tesco bin strikers from late career stage.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
when will his departure be formalised?
His contract ends by 30th June. I reckon he has said his goodbye to everyone at the club but the club will wait until the end of his contract to make a statement.

Thank you for your hardwork and good luck to you Wout Weghorst. Here is the compilation of goals he scored as a United player in the Premier League:

Last edited:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No the fact that you think it was impossible for United to sign a striker better than Weghorst in January actually says it all mate.

One of the worlds biggest clubs couldn't identify or afford a striker better than Wout, do you really believe that?
Weird take. It was widely reported that after the summer outlay we had no budget for January. We didn’t even have enough to attempt Felix due to the loan fee. So we were shopping in the loan market with a very limited budget for loan plus wages.

As I recall that was pretty common knowledge beyond the World Cup. You’re acting like ETH felt that Weghorst was more than good enough and had his pick of thousands when in reality he was probably dealing in a market of a couple of possibilities

stevoc

Weird take. It was widely reported that after the summer outlay we had no budget for January. We didn’t even have enough to attempt Felix due to the loan fee. So we were shopping in the loan market with a very limited budget for loan plus wages.

As I recall that was pretty common knowledge beyond the World Cup. You’re acting like ETH felt that Weghorst was more than good enough and had his pick of thousands when in reality he was probably dealing in a market of a couple of possibilities
Well he wanted him and then proceeded to play him form the start or off the bench in 99% of games. So I don't know are you telling me he doesn't rate Weghorst?

We were operating in a limited market yes but we don't actually know what the budget was. Let's not forget we paid £2-3m compensation to Besiktas for them to end his loan early, a loan fee to Burnley of £2-3m as well and Wout's wages he was on £60k at Burnley and rumoured to have got bumps for moving to Besiktas and then United, so maybe £70-80k per week which comes to another £1.6-2m.

So for a potential outlay of £6-8m for a 6 month loan we should have done better than Wout.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
Honest player, gave it everything he's got, Contributed in others ways than putting the ball in the back of the net.

Won a cup with us, I'll say it was a good loan deal considering we were skint and short options.

I wish him well for the future.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Well he wanted him and then proceeded to play him form the start or off the bench in 99% of games. So I don't know are you telling me he doesn't rate Weghorst?

We were operating in a limited market yes but we don't actually know what the budget was. Let's not forget we paid £2-3m compensation to Besiktas for them to end his loan early, a loan fee to Burnley of £2-3m as well and Wout's wages he was on £60k at Burnley and rumoured to have got bumps for moving to Besiktas and then United, so maybe £70-80k per week which comes to another £1.6-2m.

So for a potential outlay of £6-8m for a 6 month loan we should have done better than Wout.
We signed him because we NEEDED someone, as the only genuine striker we had is a walking injury. Wout went from starting every league game while Martial was injured to playing 0,9,18,19,0,6,57,33,0,13 mins.

Of the 10 league games Wout started, 9 of them came while Martial was injured and 1 came after he was fit. Of the 797 minutes of league football he played 642 of those minutes came when Martial was injured and only 155 minutes came in the 10 games after Martial returned.

Since you are so adamant on the point, as others have asked….can you name anyone better that you feel we could have signed for 6-8 million including wages?

I say this as someone who felt Weghorst would struggle to score more than 4 goals when I first watched him. He’s terrible but I disagree that ETH ‘wanted’ him with a choice of many others who would be better. I guess we will see, because he’s available to buy and wouldn’t cost much.

stevoc

We signed him because we NEEDED someone, as the only genuine striker we had is a walking injury. Wout went from starting every league game while Martial was injured to playing 0,9,18,19,0,6,57,33,0,13 mins.

Of the 10 league games Wout started, 9 of them came while Martial was injured and 1 came after he was fit. Of the 797 minutes of league football he played 642 of those minutes came when Martial was injured and only 155 minutes came in the 10 games after Martial returned.
No correction we needed someone decent.

Since you are so adamant on the point, as others have asked….can you name anyone better that you feel we could have signed for 6-8 million including wages?
What point do you believe you are making here?

Do you know which strikers were on the clubs scouting radar?

Do you know which strikers were offered to United in January by agents/clubs?

Do you know which strikers the club approached before signing Weghorst?

I say this as someone who felt Weghorst would struggle to score more than 4 goals when I first watched him. He’s terrible but I disagree that ETH ‘wanted’ him with a choice of many others who would be better. I guess we will see, because he’s available to buy and wouldn’t cost much.
So why did he sign him and then proceed to use him almost every game despite alternatives then?

Which other players were on the list? Or do you believe he was literally the only striker we could afford? Him being Dutch is a coincindence I supose?

I get that everyone loves ETH right now, me too but we shouldn't be deflecting from the fact that singing Weghorst was almost certainly his idea and it was a bad one.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Still think he would have scored a few if Bruno and Rashford didnt catagorically refuse to ever pass him the ball:nervous:

MadMike

Still think he would have scored a few if Bruno and Rashford didnt catagorically refuse to ever pass him the ball:nervous:
The point of a game is to win and get 3 points. Not to get Weghorst on the scoresheet. The more we passed to Weghorst the lesser the chance of scoring and thus of winning. That’s neither Rashford’s nor Bruno’s fault. They did what they (correctly) thought was the best for the team.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Where does this guy stand in the list of worst ten players to have ever worn our jersey?

Rozay

Master of Hindsight

Anyone who thinks that, with the parameters of having 3m to spend on a 6-month loan - that a League One level striker was the only or best option available is deluding themselves. And there seem to be many. It’s even the hypocrisy of the CAF. It’s just great lengths to completely absolve Ten Hag of the decision to bring Weghorst in (presumably because we like him), in a manner that no other United manager in recent times would have just been excused.

3m for a 6 month loan is round about fair value for majority of top flight players who go on loan. Probably amongst the more expensive in the loan market for that matter. Nobody wants to face the very likely fact that, given the circumstances of needing a short term option, Ten Had decided, fairly early in the market too, that he wanted Wout Weghorst. It wasn’t even easy to get him. He wasn’t ‘available’, we had to go and get him out of an existing loan deal and compensate his loan club as a result. For whatever reason, Ten Hag saw him as the best stop gap option. It wasn’t under duress, many people on here were saying similar crap at the time about how much of a good option he will be, and even pundits were saying similar. It’s clearly just a view that Ten Hag held, and it was a terrible one.

Status
Not open for further replies.