5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baxquux

Should have give those minutes to some of our 17 year old strikers. Probably would have done better.
Maybe not against Barcelona - or Forest, for that matter - but once trajectory of WW's united 'career' became clear and teammates were basically purposefully avoiding passing to him unless forced, then yeah, possibly (not sure who though, as current youth CFs look barely L2 level in their loan appearances by all accounts) . ETH in general needs to start blooding the best youth team players more, even if it's 15 minutes to close out games and offer energy - clearing some of the wage-extracting flotsam would help.

stevoc

Maybe not against Barcelona - or Forest, for that matter - but once trajectory of WW's united 'career' became clear and teammates were basically purposefully avoiding passing to him unless forced, then yeah, possibly (not sure who though, as current youth CFs look barely L2 level in their loan appearances by all accounts) . ETH in general needs to start blooding the best youth team players more, even if it's 15 minutes to close out games and offer energy - clearing some of the wage-extracting flotsam would help.
There was probably a reason for that though.

Valencia Shin Crosses

The only youth related complaint I have with Ten Hag this year is that Iqbal never really got a look in when he offers a profile that could have been very useful at times this year when our schedule was loaded and we were struggling for midfielders. Other than that, I don't see any other youth players that would have offered anything. If anything Elanga should have gotten the Weghorst minutes towards the end, as at least he offers a threat of pace up top (and is probably a better header of the ball as well)

Baxquux

The only youth related complaint I have with Ten Hag this year is that Iqbal never really got a look in when he offers a profile that could have been very useful at times this year when our schedule was loaded and we were struggling for midfielders. Other than that, I don't see any other youth players that would have offered anything. If anything Elanga should have gotten the Weghorst minutes towards the end, as at least he offers a threat of pace up top (and is probably a better header of the ball as well)
Yeah, that was my point with the CFs obviously, though I do think in addition to Zidane, Mainoo could have seen more minutes in those games once we were 3-0 up, or the last game of the season. Part of the reason he didn't was structural, specifically the size of the squad with highly-paid high-profile players demanding to be kept happy (a lesser version of the Chelsea quandary, although longer-term there's a certain method to that madness in terms of the recruitment profiles, building a team for 3 years time to challenge over the following 5-7 etc).

But there are promising players coming through at both ends of the pitch and I think ETH should be prepared to play the best of them in latter stages (not in bulk, of course, but integrated) of games, once the club makes it easier for him by reducing the number of fringe senior players - letting go of 8 and bringing in 3-4 high quality replacements, 1 for each area through GK to FW- along with risking the League cup by adopting the SAF strategy now that he's got that articular trophy 'on his belt'.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He scored and cheered loudly while heroically getting the ball from the net and spur his team on.

But it was offside and he fell to his knees and looked sad.

Poor Wout :(

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He scored and cheered loudly while heroically getting the ball from the net and spur his team on.

But it was offside and he fell to his knees and looked sad.

Poor Wout :(
Was he turned in the direction where his fan sit while being sad and on his knees?

Eli Zee

Probably could've played any starter of the last ten years in his position except for our GKs and they'd have done better

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Poor old Wout. On one hand, he wins his first ever trophy but he leaves as basically a joke. I presume he wouldn't change it for anything though.

Sylar

He got an assist in a cup final. So he will always have that

Still hilarious (now that he's not our player) how poor he is in the air

Stadjer

He got an assist in a cup final. So he will always have that

Still hilarious (now that he's not our player) how poor he is in the air
The whole reason he plays at a high level is because he has a crazy workrate and is always trying to improve himself. He hit his limitations on a pure footballing aspect but heading is something that would be a very trainable quality. He already is tall so he already has an advantage. Yet he isnt a good header at all. Strange as it sounds, i would rather pass the ball into his feet than cross it for a header if i was his teammate.

Lecland07

The whole reason he plays at a high level is because he has a crazy workrate and is always trying to improve himself. He hit his limitations on a pure footballing aspect but heading is something that would be a very trainable quality. He already is tall so he already has an advantage. Yet he isnt a good header at all. Strange as it sounds, i would rather pass the ball into his feet than cross it for a header if i was his teammate.
It wasn't just heading, though - the guy literally cannot jump. He gets beaten in the air by people a foot shorter than he is.

I was surprised by how bad he is at this. I knew he would barely score, but I thought he would at least be good at being a pole to hit the ball off.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
One of the RTE commentators said years ago (can’t remember who they were talking about but the comment stuck in my head)

“he’s 6 foot 2 but when he jumps he’s 5 foot 4”

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Pretty sure this guy in a few years will be in one of those threads like "Players who played for club X but nobody remembers"

stevoc

Pretty sure this guy in a few years will be in one of those threads like "Players who played for club X but nobody remembers"
To be fair it'll be a very long time before anyone forgets United playing Wout Weghorst upfront.

The silver lining here is it'll make us appreciate every striker after him more.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Tudo jóia? I feel bad for you had to deal with Sá Pinto being a manager of your club. He was a great player, but he's a terrible manager.
Just goes to show you how shit Brazilian coaches are nowadays. After Jorge Jesus won everything at Flamengo, anybody coming from Portugal is immediately heralded as the savior.

Status
Not open for further replies.