5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siorac

He did impact us negatively. Firstly, a non-scoring striker in and of itself is a huge negative for the team. Secondly, he’s ridiculously slow, and as a result limits our ability to stretch teams and threaten behind. He changed the way we attacked, and so many occasions I saw our attack have to reroute in real time because the most obvious and threatening pass could not be played, simply because the striker is Weghorst.
But beyond all this, "didn't affect the season negatively" is the lowest of the low bars. It's so low it's basically buried in the ground.

buckooo1978

Do we know for sure the scouting department were even involved with identifying him though?

He doesn't strike me as a player who approaching 30 and given his style that would have been on the clubs radar going into 2023.

Ten Hag since he arrived has basically dictated who the club should sign or try to sign bar probably Casemiro. Isn't it a reasonable assumption that the Wout signing was his idea?
Well Ten Hag might have had personal opinion on Weghorst, an agent could have offered him, he could have come recommended by our Scouting dept given budget/situation

Weghorst was coming off the back of a good cameo at the World Cup as well

either way Ten Hag signed off on it.

Beaucoup

The only good thing about having Weghorst is that pretty much anyone else we bring in will be an upgrade

wolvored

Wegworst was all on TH. Obviously he didnt work out like TH wanted, but the number of chances he was given, rather than TH admitting he had dropped a bollock was astounding. We could have given Pellestri more game time, fror example, couldnt have done any worse. When Wegworst told MUTV that the manager was happy with him and he was open to a permanent move, (as if he was doing us a favour), then I did expect the worst.

stevoc

Well Ten Hag might have had personal opinion on Weghorst, an agent could have offered him, he could have come recommended by our Scouting dept given budget/situation

Weghorst was coming off the back of a good cameo at the World Cup as well

either way Ten Hag signed off on it.
It's possible but let's be honest unlikely.

Do you think our scouting department recommened Martinez, Malacia, Antony, DeJong and Eriksen as well?

Or do you think ETH has been driving recruitment?

buckooo1978

It's possible but let's be honest unlikely.

Do you think our scouting department recommened Martinez, Malacia, Antony, DeJong and Eriksen as well?

Or do you think ETH has been driving recruitment?
This isnt some tinpot operation. United have scouts all over the world, in different countries, in different competitions.

Its unrealistic to think that Ten Hag has arrived in and completely disregarded information generated by our Scouting department. Its not fantasy manager and he will use the resources and expertise we provide.

He will surely have had the final say but id be really disappointed if he didnt take input from the scouting dept before signing Weghorst whom i posted about. A top club who needed to replace Ronaldo with a very very tight budget would surely have scouted and identified options.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Do we know for sure the scouting department were even involved with identifying him though?

He doesn't strike me as a player who approaching 30 and given his style that would have been on the clubs radar going into 2023.

Ten Hag since he arrived has basically dictated who the club should sign or try to sign bar probably Casemiro. Isn't it a reasonable assumption that the Wout signing was his idea?
We don’t know but again, if they’re leaving all this to the manager, it still doesn’t sit well with me/them/whoever, does it? We’re hoping to get to a point of continuity, where there’s a consistent style and not squads mish mash adapted to vastly different individual managers - but in the same breathe, EtH could be the bridge between moving between the 2, so you could be right. From what I gather we were heavily linked to Aboubakar & Arnatouvic (who he knew as well) during that period.

That being said, all things considered, I think it’s reasonable EtH went with someone whose qualities he knew/understood.

Amir

This isnt some tinpot operation. United have scouts all over the world, in different countries, in different competitions.

Its unrealistic to think that Ten Hag has arrived in and completely disregarded information generated by our Scouting department. Its not fantasy manager and he will use the resources and expertise we provide.

He will surely have had the final say but id be really disappointed if he didnt take input from the scouting dept before signing Weghorst whom i posted about. A top club who needed to replace Ronaldo with a very very tight budget would surely have scouted and identified options.
But when examining at the evidence, it very much looks as though ETH went his own way when it comes to signings. Did he listen to what the scouting department had to say? I'm sure he did, but he then chose his own players.

As for Weghorst, I don't know how much scouting we bothered to do on him. So yeah, I expect it was another ETH driven deal.

buckooo1978

But when examining at the evidence, it very much looks as though ETH went his own way when it comes to signings. Did he listen to what the scouting department had to say? I'm sure he did, but he then chose his own players.

As for Weghorst, I don't know how much scouting we bothered to do on him. So yeah, I expect it was another ETH driven deal.
yes i agree with all of that

stevoc

You sure mate?

DeJong - former Ajax

Eriksen - former Ajax

Martinez - Ajax

Antony - Ajax

Malacia -Dutch

Weghorst -Dutch

Bwuk

It’s probably a load of shite but one of my Rangers supporting mates reckons he’s going there to replace Morelos.

stevoc

We don’t know but again, if they’re leaving all this to the manager, it still doesn’t sit well with me/them/whoever, does it? We’re hoping to get to a point of continuity, where there’s a consistent style and not squads mish mash adapted to vastly different individual managers - but in the same breathe, EtH could be the bridge between moving between the 2, so you could be right. From what I gather we were heavily linked to Aboubakar & Arnatouvic (who he knew as well) during that period.

That being said, all things considered, I think it’s reasonable EtH went with someone whose qualities he knew/understood.
Same here mate, if it's young players like Antony, Martinez and Malacia with potential fair enough. But when he started asking for players like Arnautovic and Weghorst then the club should have steered him elsewhere on both occasions.

It's obvious that whatever plan was being put in place by Murtaugh/the club/the souts and possibly even Rangnick with regards to recruitment was torn up and ETH was given full control of transfers.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
It’s probably a load of shite but one of my Rangers supporting mates reckons he’s going there to replace Morelos.
Scottish league is probably about his level and gives the Rangers fans another excuse to wear orange. Makes a lot of sense.

SAFMUTD

I would rather have no one than Weghorst really. Im not even exaggerating if we have no one then surely we'd have to give a youngster a chance that'd be better than Weghorst.

buckooo1978

You sure mate?

DeJong - former Ajax

Eriksen - former Ajax

Martinez - Ajax

Antony - Ajax

Malacia -Dutch

Weghorst -Dutch
Well its quite common that a manager will try and bring in players he trusts.....

Moyes tried to get Baines as well as Fellaini, LVG Blind, Schweinsteiger and Memphis, Jose Ibra and Matic etc Roy Keane took the biscuit at Sunderland with his United/Ireland/Celtic signings.

this thread is specifically about Weghorst though and im sure our Scouting department threw in a few options with budget available which im sure was very limited with 3m or whatever the Glazers greenlighted.

You are possibly right with hindsight and it looks like a Ten Hag misjudgement rather than a Scouting decision - what i will say though is that given that Weghorst looked aggressive and effective at the World Cup, given our measly budget I thought it looked a decent enough signing for the £££. This was based on the WC of course.

Without watching him apart from clips I thought Aboubakar might have been a better option but our management went for Weghorst.

hopefully we can see a bit more influence from Scouts as we should be identifying players from outside the Dutch League/Ajax Venn Diagram

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Why are people moaning about ETH? He had no budget. Getting a good Wolfsburg/Besiktas CF was the right decision. Didn't work out, happens.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
In the absence of Martial, Rashford up front, and any of various combinations on the wings depending on availability and the opposition ie two from Antony, Sancho, Garnacho, Bruno or Pellistri. In other words, basically what ETH eventually did once he realised WW wasn’t working.
Martial and Garnacho were injured for a good chunk of that time, Antony played pretty much every game, Bruno can’t play on the left, neither can Pellistri so it basically comes down to whether Rashford-Weghörst was a better solution for the team as a whole than Sancho-Rashford and when you take into account defensive responsibilities, pressing and hold up play, plus how Sancho has been performing you can see why that’s not a straight forward decision.

stevoc

Well its quite common that a manager will try and bring in players he trusts.....

Moyes tried to get Baines as well as Fellaini, LVG Blind, Schweinsteiger and Memphis, Jose Ibra and Matic etc Roy Keane took the biscuit at Sunderland with his United/Ireland/Celtic signings.

this thread is specifically about Weghorst though and im sure our Scouting department threw in a few options with budget available which im sure was very limited with 3m or whatever the Glazers greenlighted.
It is indeed especially when a club has no real DOF, a new manager takes over and the scouting department had been working towards targets for the previous managers preferences/style of play.

So the new manager just abandons the target list and goes with what he knows until he can get the scouts looking for the type of players he needs.

Which is how I think we ended up signing 3 former/current Ajax players and two Dutch players.

You are possibly right with hindsight and it looks like a Ten Hag misjudgement rather than a Scouting decision - what i will say though is that given that Weghorst looked aggressive and effective at the World Cup, given our measly budget I thought it looked a decent enough signing for the £££. This was based on the WC of course.

Without watching him apart from clips I thought Aboubakar might have been a better option but our management went for Weghorst.

hopefully we can see a bit more influence from Scouts as we should be identifying players from outside the Dutch League/Ajax Venn Diagram
I've no problem with Erik making a mistake on Wout, it happens with every manager. And other than Weghorst his signings have been pretty good.

It is a little concerning though that he stubbornly persisted in playing him virtually every match when better options were available. Even to the point of shifting everyone else around to shove him in the no10 position.

I imagine he wanted to justify going after him over other possible signings and the added expense/hassle of getting him out of his Besiktas loan deal. But who knows.

ThanksBoss26

Ten Hag played him when we were 'on a run' probably to the point of overplaying him I agree, but once that properly came to an end he was on the bench. Weghorst started one game in all comps in the last two months of the season post Newcastle away.

It was necessary to take a punt in January and it didn't come off. End of story really.

buckooo1978

It is indeed especially when a club has no real DOF, a new manager takes over and the scouting department had been working towards targets for the previous managers preferences/style of play.

So the new manager just abandons the target list and goes with what he knows until he can get the scouts looking for the type of players he needs.

Which is how I think we ended up signing 3 former/current Ajax players and two Dutch players.

I've no problem with Erik making a mistake on Wout, it happens with every manager. And other than Weghorst his signings have been pretty good.

It is a little concerning though that he stubbornly persisted in playing him virtually every match when better options were available. Even to the point of shifting everyone else around to shove him in the no10 position.

I imagine he wanted to justify going after him over other possible signings and the added expense/hassle of getting him out of his Besiktas loan deal. But who knows.
yes it was baffling at times in all honesty.

there are caveats like De Gea's distribution and Weghorst helping with that, injury and suspension to Sabitzer, Martial, Garnacho etc, Bruno's role in the team, Antonys and Sanchos form and general fatigue

The amount Weghorst played was concerning though. Also wondered why Fred played far less.

The majority of games Weghorst was starting you were looking forward to 60 mins when we would bring on subs and become more effective. Wondered why Pellestri didnt play more.

who knows.... maybe Ten Hag seeing something different or dealing with issues fans are unaware of.

stevoc

yes it was baffling at times in all honesty.

there are caveats like De Gea's distribution and Weghorst helping with that, injury and suspension to Sabitzer, Martial, Garnacho etc, Bruno's role in the team, Antonys and Sanchos form and general fatigue

The amount Weghorst played was concerning though. Also wondered why Fred played far less.

The majority of games Weghorst was starting you were looking forward to 60 mins when we would bring on subs and become more effective. Wondered why Pellestri didnt play more.

who knows.... maybe Ten Hag seeing something different or dealing with issues fans are unaware of.
9 times out of 10 when he came on as a sub especially as a 10 there were better options on the bench.

It was definitely baffling, but thankfully it's over now.

Red Rash

Wout seems like a good guy and has admirable workrate but he really shouldn't have been anywhere near the first team or the bench.

I know ETH often played him when Martial was injured or as a sub to replace Martial but we really should have tried Bruno as a false 9 instead and brought on someone like Pellistri who at least has good pace and directness to hurt teams.

From a technical standpoint Weghorst is very average for a footballer.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
The change from "this guy is so much more useful to the team than Ronaldo" stuff at the start, to how everyone views him now is amazing.

Is it time to panic in a month or so when there's talk of how we're buying him for 10m?

Devil81

The change from "this guy is so much more useful to the team than Ronaldo" stuff at the start, to how everyone views him now is amazing.

Is it time to panic in a month or so when there's talk of how we're buying him for 10m?
Its over now surely.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Hag should've tried for Luuk de Jong instead of Weghorst. Luuk isnt exactly a world beater, but he actually poses a very significant aerial thread if you want to force something in the final stages of the game. Just look what he did at Barca on a similar level.

Weghorst is such a baffling move in hindsight. Surely Ten Hag knew he was shite in the air.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Hag should've tried for Luuk de Jong instead of Weghorst. Luuk isnt exactly a world beater, but he actually poses a very significant aerial thread if you want to force something in the final stages of the game. Just look what he did at Barca on a similar level.

Weghorst is such a baffling move in hindsight. Surely Ten Hag knew he was shite in the air.
Maybe wrong here but Weghorst is like Bolt compared to Luuk de Jong.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
But you were looking for goals werent you? Luuk scores goals when you bring him on. Wout, erm, looks sad?
Weghorst also scored lot of goals in Netherlands, Bundesliga, Turkish league, struggled to score in PL just like Luuk De Jong with his 0 goals in PL for Newcastle.

Also looking at their records Weghorst has much better record in Bundesliga than Luuk.

Not sure he would have offered anything, would have been as shit, even more immobile and offside galore player.

But would have been great for memes though, ManUtd signed De Jong.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Weghorst also scored lot of goals in Netherlands, Bundesliga, Turkish league, struggled to score in PL just like Luuk De Jong with his 0 goals in PL for Newcastle.

Also looking at their records Weghorst has much better record in Bundesliga than Luuk.

Not sure he would have offered anything, would have been as shit, even more immobile and offside galore player.

But would have been great for memes though, ManUtd signed De Jong.
He scored like 10 goals for a shite Barca side last year. They also started with memes when they signed him and ended up singing Luuk Luuk Luuk when he left. Weghorst and De Jong are both shit, but only one of them is a pinch hitter you put in to force something at the end of the game. And it's not Weghorst.

Edit: ok, 7 goals.

Last edited:

stevoc

I seen an interview with Ten Hag shortly after we signed Wout and the interviewer said Wout would give us an aeriel presence (just as every commentator right throughout the season also thought). And Ten Hag replied that Wouts game wasn't about heading.

So yeah he almost certainly knew.

Status
Not open for further replies.