5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

zbcrow15

I would gladly take him here next year as long as he knows that he is going to be a backup striker and a squad rotation player at best. Dude works his socks off for this team and you can see the passion he has for the club when he does score. I think that he could do a good job for us when we need to press later in games

Gfooty

I really don't understand what everyone's issue is with him. He's here for the time being, he works his socks off, the team plays well with him in it, there is no better alternative available at the moment.

He's the polar opposite of Martial fitness wise. He's the polar opposite of Cristiano when it comes to work ethic and team balance.

I'm sure he understands he's not a long term nr9 option but I'd certainly keep him as a squad option for the few million he'll cost. This club has spent so much money on nobody's don't tell me this purchase is suddenly a problem

Reactions: Cheimoon

next_number_seven

I would gladly take him here next year as long as he knows that he is going to be a backup striker and a squad rotation player at best. Dude works his socks off for this team and you can see the passion he has for the club when he does score. I think that he could do a good job for us when we need to press later in games
100% would keep him as a back up striker if he's cheap.

He looks to have a wonderful attitude.
Behavior is contagious, so the more players with good attitude the better and also vice versa

Thiagoal

As much as I like the fella he's a passenger and nothing else.
He’s pretty much the exact opposite of a passenger. He actually contributes massively to build up play and to the team out of possession. Erling Haaland is a passenger in general build up play if you’re looking for a player to fit that definition. CR7 was a passenger whenever he played this season too! Wout is not!

Whether he is ultimately good enough (poor goal output) is a totally different debate. I’d personally take him as a back up who can play the odd game and be a nuisance when coming on as a sub!

Wing Attack Plan R

hmchan

Happy to see him score, but he is no more than a temporary solution. He is simply not good enough, even as a back up. The likes of Welbeck, Chicharito offered much more than him but got criticized week in week out. We should not relegate our standard just because a player shows good attitude.

2Injurytimegoal

I don't understand why peopel said he is not good enough?

He could easy have one more goal if Antony decide to pass instead of chips over the bar, and one more assist if Antony can finish his chance.

And also he got blocked twice in front of goal, but the movement is there and he team up with others well.

I am sure we will have a new no.9 in the summer, but why so against to sign him as a back up? We won't get two great strikers anyway as they won't be happy to sit on bench.

Wout proved he can do a decent job in our winning run, (yes I know what happened at Anfield), and he starts most of the games, the manager like him, and so his teammate,

Unless we can sign both Osimhen/Kane/Vlahovac AND young potential like Evan Ferguson, which will easy cost us 150M at least and not likely to happen in the same window, Wout will be a cheap and useful option on the other hand.

What we have to get rid is Marital (on Wage over 200k doing nothing) and Elanga (not good enough)

ti vu

Sorry but disagree.

I watched enough of Ajax last season to know Haller is very your typical CF. He does link up, hold up play here and there, but he's the least busy player in the whole set up because he's expected to poach goal which he did very well. He scored load in CL, and top Dutch league scoring tally. It's a bit rich to talk nonsense about a system that Weghorst job is not scoring as CF.

Tadic's role is different to Rashford's. Tadic role is a mixed of Sancho and Bruno on the wing. Tadic was given more license to roam.

At Ajax, the striker would also drop very deep.
It's a Ten Haag thing.

Our best attacker is Rashford - LW.
Ajax? Guess who, LW, Tadic.
The Number 10 also burst forward when the striker drops deep, this was VDB at Ajax [shadow striker, I think it's called] And what Bruno does when played central.

Ten Haag wants strikers who can drop deep, create overloads in midfield, press from the front and be a part of build up play.
If he wanted a striker to score goals, he'd have simply played Ronaldo more.
People need to understand the Ten Haag system before moaning that Wout doesn't score. Weirdly, it's not his job.

ti vu

If we were struggling to score goals as a team I’d be worried about Weghorst, purely because our central striker is expected to score a good share of the goals. But we’re not struggling, we’re scoring more freely than we have in years.

So don’t underestimate his part in that. What he’s doing is helping others in the team get chances and take them.

Is he our long term No 9? Of course not. That’s a key transfer target this summer. But he’s doing a decent job for us in the short term and you can see that’s the type of hard working, defend from the front type of striker Ten Hag wants.
The other players chipped in goals better than some of the last season. However, we're relying on Rashford as main source of goal. The one to break the deadlock, decide the game or such. Comparing to Man City or Arsenal, we're clearly way behind in goal scoring. Even if Rashford stays injury free, the amount of game he has to play because the rotation option couldn't do the job to dispatch even lesser teams, may result in fatigue.

We have to look forward to improving the level of the team to challenge for top trophies. Liverpool, Man City had a higher level than this season. We're still behind this inconsistent Man City of this season. And Liverpool was capable of destroying us on occasion.

Weghorst can have some good individual performance against some teams, especial those with weak defense. Even then, he doesn't make it easy for the team when he as the CF doesn't score enough. Can't rest Rashford, Bruno at all. Against better teams, he can be the opposite of helpful, an hinderance.

ti vu

What I'm slightly confused about is how he scores 1 in 2 for Wolfsburg with the standard of finishing seen at United. That doesn't seem possible, quite frankly. Not unless he got a million chances per 90 minutes.

So something is going on there to explain that. Has his finishing regressed? The pressure at United? People say he is hard to create for at United, maybe - but we have seen chances missed. That isn't a matter of opinion, that's a fact, we have seen some routine ones go begging.

I don't have the answer, but I'm curious.
We have seen quite a few exciting attackers from Bundesliga that don't do as well moving into PL. Haller, Werner, Micktaryan, Sancho. Not attacker, but Naby Keita hype and reality at Liverpool worth a mention too.

Even Son struggled in his first season at Spurs, which brought up rumor he wanted to quit Spurs and return to Bundesliga.

Just my opinion, Bundesliga defenders on average ain't as fierce and intense as PL. For someone like Weghorst, who hard worker, and taller, they may find it more difficult to contain.

Mcking

You couldn't be more wrong. The only area he is lacking is his finishing. Otherwise he is vitally important to the team.
And making chances as well. He has only two goals simply because he hasn't been getting enough chances to score. That's been a much bigger problem for him than his finishing.

Davie Moyes

What I'm slightly confused about is how he scores 1 in 2 for Wolfsburg with the standard of finishing seen at United. That doesn't seem possible, quite frankly. Not unless he got a million chances per 90 minutes.

So something is going on there to explain that. Has his finishing regressed? The pressure at United? People say he is hard to create for at United, maybe - but we have seen chances missed. That isn't a matter of opinion, that's a fact, we have seen some routine ones go begging.

Sorry I don't have the answers either but I'm just as curious as you.

Is it just me or does he look less leggy in those clips? At Utd he seems to struggle to move off and accelerate. Even his blocked shots are because he is always a yard slow even in anticipation. We've had slow players before e.g. Sheringham but he was razor sharp in mind.

Also he's scored some lovely chipped goals in Germany and I just can't picture him scoring those for Utd. I even half expect him to miss the sitters like is he's been jinxed.

I wonder if he's running around too much either because he's been asked to or he's working too hard and means he has no energy for the finishing.

Either way I'm delighted for him and the work rate he brings. I'm in agreement with Niall here, the team seem to be scoring more with him playing so I'm happy with that.

hmchan

Sorry but disagree.

I watched enough of Ajax last season to know Haller is very your typical CF. He does link up, hold up play here and there, but he's the least busy player in the whole set up because he's expected to poach goal which he did very well. He scored load in CL, and top Dutch league scoring tally. It's a bit rich to talk nonsense about a system that Weghorst job is not scoring as CF.

Tadic's role is different to Rashford's. Tadic role is a mixed of Sancho and Bruno on the wing. Tadic was given more license to roam.
It's a new norm defending players' incompetence by saying it's ten Hag's system - Weghorst not scoring and Antony not taking players on.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
It's a new norm defending players' incompetence by saying it's ten Hag's system - Weghorst not scoring and Antony not taking players on.
Bit ironic saying that now seeing as Weggy just scored in his last game and Antony took some players on

NLunited

Probably several things.

First: strikers go through patches where they can‘t get the ball in the net. A few goals scored often fixes that.

Second: even Haaland has games where he is not getting a sniff. In the case of Weghorst at least he is creating for others if he does not get chances.

Third: many chances get thwarted by good defending. We‘ve seen several blocks on Weghorst in the last game.

Fourth, and I think probably the most relevant: we are a team that is developing still. Scoring goals was tough for us before Christmas. I think WW has helped a lot in that regard with his selfless work, something that Ronaldo was not giving us.

I‘m hopeful because we have seen more chances created for Weghorst. He is doing the right things and will start scoring regularly I feel.

Fabio Rochemback

We should buy a back up striker who will offer more than a high work rate, rather than go with Weghorst to save a few quid.

One option would be a seasoned pro in their early 30s. I've mentioned before, Danny Ings just moved for £12m in January, so I'm not gonna hear arguments that a back up striker actually scores with more regularity than a centre back would be too expensive.

The other option would be a youth prospect, probably from abroad. Julian Alvarez is a perfect example. I barely watch any continental football nowadays aside from the CL, so I couldn't honestly name one.

The only way I'd be happy with him staying is if the Qataris take over and give us money to sign two new strikers AND Weghorst, to be third choice. As it is, I really don't think we need three centre forwards.

croadyman

We should buy a back up striker who will offer more than a high work rate, rather than go with Weghorst to save a few quid.

One option would be a seasoned pro in their early 30s. I've mentioned before, Danny Ings just moved for £12m in January, so I'm not gonna hear arguments that a back up striker actually scores with more regularity than a centre back would be too expensive.

The other option would be a youth prospect, probably from abroad. Julian Alvarez is a perfect example. I barely watch any continental football nowadays aside from the CL, so I couldn't honestly name one.

The only way I'd be happy with him staying is if the Qataris take over and give us money to sign two new strikers AND Weghorst, to be third choice. As it is, I really don't think we need three centre forwards.
Would you take Thuram on a free as other striker

Fabio Rochemback

Would you take Thuram on a free as other striker
I've only ever seen him play at the World Cup but yeah, that's the kind of signing that makes perfect sense on a free. Didn't see all that much from him with the ball that stood out, just remember that he pressed well. I know he's recently been converted to CF and his goal ratio has improved significantly since. There are doubtless other decent forwards around Europe with not long left on their contracts available for reasonable fees.

croadyman

I've only ever seen him play at the World Cup but yeah, that's the kind of signing that makes perfect sense if he's available on a free. Didn't see all that much from him with the ball that stood out, just remember that he pressed well. I know he's recently been converted to CF and his goal ratio has improved significantly since. There are doubtless other decent forwards around Europe with not long left on their contracts who available for reasonable fees.
Yeah like a certain Frenchman at Madrid,in regards to Wout unlike many of our fanbase never expected more than about 5 goals (still time). Also appreciate that he tries his heart out every game which deserves respect.

Fabio Rochemback

Also appreciate that he tries his heart out every game which deserves respect.
Yeah I like the guy and for an emergency six month loan he's been.... fine, kind of. I'm just baffled that a lot of people actually want to keep him. I've said it before that a lot of people have a strange conception of what a back up player at United should be. Some seem to think we should have a squad of 22 world class players and others think really mediocre players are fine in that role.

For me, a back up player at United should be someone who'd get into the starting XI of most EPL teams outside of the Big 6 (or is Big 7 now?). Weghorst just wouldn't. You can also compare him the the second choice strikers at the Big 6/7 clubs. All of them have at least two players they can play up front who are easily better than Weghorst.

Last edited:

The Dane

The guy is likeable and hardworking but this is Manchester United and the bar is higher and should be. If he was a Fellaini type of player which you could throw in the box in the final minutes when chasing a goal, then yeah why not have him on the bench, but he is not.
A run of bad games from the team and people on here will be crucifying him, even if he is working just as hard and delivering exactly the same as he has so fare.

Mindhunter

I really don't understand what everyone's issue is with him. He's here for the time being, he works his socks off, the team plays well with him in it, there is no better alternative available at the moment.

He's the polar opposite of Martial fitness wise. He's the polar opposite of Cristiano when it comes to work ethic and team balance.

I'm sure he understands he's not a long term nr9 option but I'd certainly keep him as a squad option for the few million he'll cost. This club has spent so much money on nobody's don't tell me this purchase is suddenly a problem
Issue is that his relentless running and trying to make up for his skill through pure grunt work may result in our owners deciding that he is the short-term answer for our lack of striking options. That would be disastrous.

Apart from that, I am really grateful for what he is bringing to us under the current circumstances.

Mindhunter

Yeah I like the guy and for an emergency six month loan he's been.... fine, kind of. I'm just baffled that a lot of people actually want to keep him. I've said it before that a lot of people have a strange conception of what a back up player at United should be. Some seem to think we should have a squad of 22 world class players and others think really mediocre players are fine in that role.

For me, a back up player at United should be someone who'd get into the starting XI of most EPL teams outside of the Big 6 (or is Big 7 now?). Weghorst just wouldn't. You can also compare him the the second choice strikers at the Big 6/7 clubs. All of them have at least two players they can play up front who are easily better than Weghorst.
This. Don't know why both can't be true i.e., he is doing a great job right now and he shouldn't be anywhere near the squad next season.

stevoc

I don't understand why peopel said he is not good enough?

He could easy have one more goal if Antony decide to pass instead of chips over the bar, and one more assist if Antony can finish his chance.

And also he got blocked twice in front of goal, but the movement is there and he team up with others well.

I am sure we will have a new no.9 in the summer, but why so against to sign him as a back up? We won't get two great strikers anyway as they won't be happy to sit on bench.

Wout proved he can do a decent job in our winning run, (yes I know what happened at Anfield), and he starts most of the games, the manager like him, and so his teammate,

Unless we can sign both Osimhen/Kane/Vlahovac AND young potential like Evan Ferguson, which will easy cost us 150M at least and not likely to happen in the same window, Wout will be a cheap and useful option on the other hand.

What we have to get rid is Marital (on Wage over 200k doing nothing) and Elanga (not good enough)
Because let's be honest he isn't. If we'd have been looking for a striker last summer we wouldn't have been after Weghorst. In fact I doubt he'd have even made a list of 50 possible targets.

He's here now as an emergency loan because we lost 1 striker due to him being sacked. And the other one has had injury problems all season.

He's working hard, contributing and doing about as well as could be expected given his technical ability. But let's not get carried away.

2Injurytimegoal

Because let's be honest he isn't. If we'd have been looking for a striker last summer we wouldn't have been after Weghorst. In fact I doubt he'd have even made a list of 50 possible targets.

He's here now as an emergency loan because we lost 1 striker due to him being sacked. And the other one has had injury problems all season.

He's working hard, contributing and doing about as well as could be expected given his technical ability. But let's not get carried away.
I know what you mean, but I assume we will get a star striker in summer, our goal sources shouldn't be a problem anymore.

And I think Wout is doing a ok job in terms of set up our fast player as a target man, (set up Rashy in Carbaro cup final, and Antony vs Betis)

Let's see how ETH would decide.

RopersReturn

We maybe ought to give the benefit of the doubt, he hasn’t been with us for that long and could possibly be the answer once he’s found his form. He’s a big lad that isn’t easily intimidated by defenders.

Grunnn123

He needed that goal to lift the curce. From now on he will score a lot more.

luke511

Bizarre seeing Bruno getting played out of position repeatedly to accommodate Weghorst.

wangyu

One of the worst players in the squad is a guaranteed starter. This is only because Weghorst has a great attitude on the pitch. Some of the players surrounding him could learn from that. But lets be real, he is one of the worst football players that have worn our shirt.

Sylar

Thought him over Sancho would have been the better bet but also a bit of hindsight.
He got angry at rashford for not squaring the chance but it was never ever on

That celebration had the vibe of David Moyes celebrating after we equalised at home to Fulham to make it 2-2. Both instances showing the world that their out of their depth.
Not that it matters but Moyes celebrated when we went 2-1 up. Fulham equalised to make it 2-2

Status
Not open for further replies.