5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

AndySmith1990

Someone above got it spot on when they said its like we've signed a kid from the make a wish foundation. It's nice to see him enjoying playing but we're Manchester United, not Wrexham. The constant "I'm so happy for him" comments are getting a bit nauseating. It's like being crap is fine as long as you're the right balance of crap and likeable to make it endearing

Godfather

Someone above got it spot on when they said its like we've signed a kid from the make a wish foundation. It's nice to see him enjoying playing but we're Manchester United, not Wrexham. The constant "I'm so happy for him" comments are getting a bit nauseating. It's like being crap is fine as long as you're the right balance of crap and likeable to make it endearing
He wasn't crap yesterday though. Not at all.

Real Name

He is but I think there’s debate to be bad over whether the current set up is working better than it would without Weghorst. I definitely don’t think Bruno should be playing wide to accommodate Weghorst in that position and having Rashford up front anyway.
Agree. Problem is Rashford's back to the goal play is not good, he's at best ar running at and facing defenses. That's why we should, will go for a striker who'll play instead of Martial. I hope so. We sorely lack that. Saying that, Weghorst offers pressing from which we started a lot of our attacks when he would disrupt their passing or pressure them in mistakes, but in front of goal he leaves a lot to be desired. He leaves his heart on the pitch and you cant take that from him, I was really happy he scored and it was obvious it meant a lot to him. It was certainly one of his best games for us so far.

croadyman

Well didn't get that big goal I hoped for in Nou Camp or at Anfield,still time for it to come against Arsenal/Juve in Europa or City at Wembley

Baneofthegame

Well to start with Wout was good last night, created some chances and got a goal (hallelujah!). But sorry we can't support someone who genuinely seems like a great locker room guy who gives it his all out there, unlike some of the overpaid shit we have had to endure anyway it makes a nice change.

He's clearly not the level of long term striker we need, but when Martial gets injured these days by a gust of wind we don't really have a lot of options available to us.

backpass

Its not always only about skills. Having someone with 150% effort on the pitch is forcing the lazy ones to give 20% more.
How shameful to have a mate who dies for your team while you have a sleep on the pitch at the same time.
Its a question of mentality change, at least I assume thats a big thing for the manager and was/is maybe his biggest task.

Look at Pogba, he was clearly more talented than what United has right now, but he made the team worse with his attitude.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Salford_Red83

But he wasn't crap yesterday, and hasn't really been since he arrived.

Yes, as a striker he should really be scoring more and the chances he had last night he should have buried.

However he's playing the role ETH has asked him - he's holding up the ball, bringing others into play, creating space for others, and generally making a nuisance of himself up front. Dropping him further into midfield is now an option none of thought when he arrived.

To be honest it's refreshing to see someone playing with enthusiasm and energy for us.

We all trust ETH don't we?

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

JustCoco

Supports
Red Devils
Scoring a goal facing Stretford End must feel wonderful. Happy for him to experiencing it. However, while his overall contribution is on the positive side, his performance is a mixed bag. The bad is standing out even more than the positive.

His poaching instinct is so poor. So many time, he's a few steps behind which allow defenders to get a foot in. Being slow is just one part of his issue. It's slow thinking/weak poaching instinct. You may complain other players didn't always feed him, but this game is so open, that chances coming everywhere, and Weghorst himself failed a lot to do well with the chances that fall into his path. Talking about the period before Bruno header goal killed the game.

Weghorst role is more suitable for when we go all in out of desperate and need another forward in the box, or after we kill the game. Our key players still do a lot of heavy lifting game after game. He doesn't lessen the burden off other key players, so that's enough good enough for the first choice back up role. His role is like the fourth in the squad with healthy depth. Not the first back up option.
At Ajax, the striker would also drop very deep.
It's a Ten Haag thing.

Our best attacker is Rashford - LW.
Ajax? Guess who, LW, Tadic.
The Number 10 also burst forward when the striker drops deep, this was VDB at Ajax [shadow striker, I think it's called] And what Bruno does when played central.

Ten Haag wants strikers who can drop deep, create overloads in midfield, press from the front and be a part of build up play.
If he wanted a striker to score goals, he'd have simply played Ronaldo more.
People need to understand the Ten Haag system before moaning that Wout doesn't score. Weirdly, it's not his job.

Ibi Dreams

I'd sign him if the price is low enough. We've generally played well with him in the team, he's a very useful player.

Milo2035

Maybe this?

Park to Rooney, black jerseys, in the snow. Not much of a celebration as it was just an equaliser, though.
Exactly this ! Thank you !! Now I'm gonna find the slowmotion shot.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Just wait, after that goal he’ll be transformed into a goal machine.

Rise Wout Van Weghorst! :devil:

Anduin

He wasn't crap yesterday though. Not at all.
Exactly, I thought it was one of his best games for us. Got his poacher goal, should've had an assist if Antony wasn't so utterly predictable, very unlucky when the Betis defender made a great block in the first half, and, even though it obviously didn't count, had another nice finish with his chest when Fred was offside right after the 1-0. He may be a bit slow when getting in scoring positions, but that was a good game by the whole team, and he was an integral part for it.
I'm all for calling out a bad performance, but if that's a bad performance, I'm fine with it pretty much every game.

Leethal

Some proper miserable twats in this thread. Make a wish kid? Just feck off, honestly.

After years of lazy twats not fit to wear the shirt, we get a player who works his bollocks off... and you still find a way to slag him off.

He's been quite unlucky not to score quite a few, really, and if he had a few more goals to his name the song sang here would be a LOT different. Likewise with assists... he's laid it on a plate many times, just for the player on the other end to knack it up.

Love him to bits. Hope we sign him permanently, I really do.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
I think you're taking it a bit too seriously.

Neither Wout and De Gea are "quality", one was bought for peanuts and second is best paid goalkeepern in the world. One is very likeable guy who gives his all to get the most of the chance he's been given, the second is a timid boy on a rapid decline.
But they are both not good enough (I also made it very clear in my previous comment) so in a way they both are in the same boat and should not be part of the team next season.
Nice backtracking there. De Gea has been with United 10 years or so. He loves the club more than Weghorst and has been a loyal servant. There's nothing wrong with his attitude and he's also a really likeable guy. If he's not happy-clappy enough for you then fair enough. But you said you'd buy Weghorst and literally a few minutes earlier had slammed de Gea in his performance thread. Make your mind up!

redcucumber

Some proper miserable twats in this thread. Make a wish kid? Just feck off, honestly.

After years of lazy twats not fit to wear the shirt, we get a player who works his bollocks off... and you still find a way to slag him off.

He's been quite unlucky not to score quite a few, really, and if he had a few more goals to his name the song sang here would be a LOT different. Likewise with assists... he's laid it on a plate many times, just for the player on the other end to knack it up.

Seriously? I mean, I'm happy for him and all, but he's quite clearly way off what we need - both as a starter and a rotational option. City have got Haaland and Alvarez. Arsenal have Jesus and Nketieh. Liverpool have got Nunez, Jota, and Firminho. There's absolutely no way Weghorst should be signed permanently for a team that will be pushing on for the biggest honours next season.

MadMike

I'm always critical of him cause I just don't see the quality there. But yesterday he scored and should have had an assist yesterday while working his arse off as always.

Hard to not be pleased for him.

Too slow to everything. A decent striker would have got at least a couple more last night. There were at least two great crosses where he didn't read it in time. Our attackers are a technically brilliant bunch who can play very quick one touch football, until it gets to Weghorst and the move invariably breaks down. I was happy he scored in much the same way I was happy for Ighalo, but thinking 'awww that's nice for him' isn't what you should be saying about a Man Utd number 9. If we just want somebody who runs we might aswell sign Kipchoge.

You get the feeling the players like him but also know he's not up to the standard.

stevoc

A trade off for what? Our only other striker has been injured for god knows how long.
Let's be honest we could play Rashford upfront and two from Sancho, Antony, Garnacho and Pellestri on the wings. If Ten Hag wants to play him fair enough but he's not being forced to Weghorst.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
If we were struggling to score goals as a team I’d be worried about Weghorst, purely because our central striker is expected to score a good share of the goals. But we’re not struggling, we’re scoring more freely than we have in years.

So don’t underestimate his part in that. What he’s doing is helping others in the team get chances and take them.

Is he our long term No 9? Of course not. That’s a key transfer target this summer. But he’s doing a decent job for us in the short term and you can see that’s the type of hard working, defend from the front type of striker Ten Hag wants.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
such a likable bloke, does he remind anyone else of Oli, the king of the swing, from hostel? Nope? Just me?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Let's be honest we could play Rashford upfront and two from Sancho, Antony, Garnacho and Pellestri on the wings. If Ten Hag wants to play him fair enough but he's not being forced to Weghorst.
It's a completely different tactical set up despite the numbers (4-2-3-1) being the same. And it's quite obvious at this point that it's not ten Hag's default formation.

Leethal

If we were struggling to score goals as a team I’d be worried about Weghorst, purely because our central striker is expected to score a good share of the goals. But we’re not struggling, we’re scoring more freely than we have in years.

So don’t underestimate his part in that. What he’s doing is helping others in the team get chances and take them.

Is he our long term No 9? Of course not. That’s a key transfer target this summer. But he’s doing a decent job for us in the short term and you can see that’s the type of hard working, defend from the front type of striker Ten Hag wants.
exactly my sentiment

stevoc

He is the perfect bench striker. Delighted to be here, popular with the players, works extremely hard, has scored goals at the top level, plays football for a top international side and is always available.

He obviously isn’t the number 9, but I want him as part of the group next season to give respite to whoever the actual 9 is.

We won’t be buying two top forwards and a fit Martial is a pipe dream. Even when he was fit, he wasn’t scoring either!
Martial has 6 goals from 14 appearances this season to be fair.

stevoc

It's a completely different tactical set up despite the numbers (4-2-3-1) being the same. And it's quite obvious at this point that it's not ten Hag's default formation.
I'm aware, all I'm saying is we have the option to play someone else up there. And if ETH wants to play Wout up front fair enough.

PSV

:lol:

It might sound harsh for a short-term loan but he really is horrendous. Like he should've scored about 5 tonight. He'll continue to play by virtue of his availability and running, but there's a reason why players like Weghorst don't play for top clubs.
To be fair that crazy Italian got his foot to like half a dozen of our chances tonight, including 3 or so of Weg's finishes.

At Ajax, the striker would also drop very deep.
It's a Ten Haag thing.

Our best attacker is Rashford - LW.
Ajax? Guess who, LW, Tadic.
The Number 10 also burst forward when the striker drops deep, this was VDB at Ajax [shadow striker, I think it's called] And what Bruno does when played central.

Ten Haag wants strikers who can drop deep, create overloads in midfield, press from the front and be a part of build up play.
If he wanted a striker to score goals, he'd have simply played Ronaldo more.
People need to understand the Ten Haag system before moaning that Wout doesn't score. Weirdly, it's not his job.
2021-22:
Haller (34 goals, 103 mins per goal) + 9 assists.
Brobbey (7 goals, 71 mins per goal) + 1 assist.

2020-21:
Haller (13 goals, 145 mins per goal) + 7 assists.
Huntelaar (7 goals, 60 mins per goal) + 1 assist.
Brobbey (6 goals, 62 mins per goal) + 1 assist.

For being not their job Ajax' strikers sure were going that extra mile.

Also I believe Tadic is their Bruno, not their Rashford. I think this is why he's experimenting with Bruno out wide.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Jokes aside, he does create quite a few chances for his team mates? Yesterday he shouldve had 2 assists (and, granted, a hattrick). Calling him a make a wish kid is a bit daft. This guy was told as an amateur to stop dreaming of being a professional footballer, because he would never make it (true story). And look where he is now. He worked harder to be there than probably 99% of all footballers. To then see lazy fat cnuts like Rafael Vd Vaart and Wesley Sneijder laugh at him is grating. Imagine if Van der Vaart had Wout's attitude. He would've been the actual golden boy the world predicted him to be instead of an above average Spurs player for 1.5 seasons.

He's no Lewandowski, but he is hardly an entirely useless donkey.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Nice backtracking there. De Gea has been with United 10 years or so. He loves the club more than Weghorst and has been a loyal servant. There's nothing wrong with his attitude and he's also a really likeable guy. If he's not happy-clappy enough for you then fair enough. But you said you'd buy Weghorst and literally a few minutes earlier had slammed de Gea in his performance thread. Make your mind up!
:lol: mate, what are you on about?
"I'm glad I am not the one making decision because I'd definitely buy him, even though I know he's nowhere near being good enough."
Quoting myself here, if that bit of humor makes you angry then let's leave it. Clearly you're being sensitive about De Gea so maybe let's just leave it because I don't want to hurt your feelings as Dave is not having a good time now. Or this season in general.

I'm not backtracking anything, I have a firm opinion on both De Gea and Weghorst, you seem like a weirdo who's following my posts so you should know by now I've been very consistent on this.

I don't question De Gea loyalty, I have no problem with his attitude, he's just not a good enough goalkeeper, just as Wout isn't good enough as CF. I don't particularly see De Gea as likeable character, I'm neutral when it comes to him. He's too timid as a goalkeeper what has been a problem for us, but this isn't a big pain for us now because we have very experienced backline. It's a bit weird De Gea still plays like that 21yo boy when he joined, and he's actually the most senior player.

Both De Gea and Wout are in the same bucket, they do the job because we have noone else, and both can be easily upgraded. You like De Gea, I much prefer Weghorst for his attitude and that he's actually enjoying being here. I really don't know why you want to make this about De Gea. Just enjoy Wout good performance/goal or leave this thread, why all those negative vibes?

Gaidal

Overall probably our second best striker (after Zlatan) since RvP. More goals will come, and he has some assists already, and if his teammates could finish he would have even more assists. I wouldn't mind him at all as a cheap backup behind the expensive starter.

Seveneric

There just can never be any middle ground I guess. We have extremes of negativity on one end, and extremes like this on the other. There's no evidence (yet) that ETH won't be getting funds to sign a striker over the summer (which would make your post understandable), but you're itching to sign a striker that's not good enough at his primary job, because he runs a lot and makes hypothetical assists :houllier:

Rockets Redglare

Overall probably our second best striker (after Zlatan) since RvP. More goals will come, and he has some assists already, and if his teammates could finish he would have even more assists. I wouldn't mind him at all as a cheap backup behind the expensive starter.
Oh come on now, you honestly rate what he’s doing higher than Cavani or Ronaldo’s contribution? I really like Weghorst but let’s not get carried away.

Leethal

There just can never be any middle ground I guess. We have extremes of negativity on one end, and extremes like this on the other. There's no evidence (yet) that ETH won't be getting funds to sign a striker over the summer (which would make your post understandable), but you're itching to sign a striker that's not good enough at his primary job, because he runs a lot and makes hypothetical assists :houllier:
I made no mention of him being a starter.

stevoc

Also if his teammates could finish?

Micky Targaryen

The make a wish comments are bit harsh tbh. I wouldn’t mind if we decided to sign Weghorst but hopefully not as our main CF. We need levels to our attack and the answer is Osimhen.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
His Bundesliga goal scoring record is pretty good actually, how the feck did he get that many goals over there with this kind of finishing :lol:

Ten hag has been pretty smart in the way he utilizes him.
His finishing is a bit shit, but the bigger issue is his inability to get clean shots away. He was a 1 in 2 man in weaker leagues - Germany, Turkey, Netherlands - and I think that's all down to the fact that he was able to navigate himself a bit more space and time to shoot. In the PL and EL the intensity and speed is too much.

He's averaging 1.28 shots per 90 in the PL which puts him in the bottom 5 percentage for the entire league. In most his seasons in Germany he was averaging nearly double that.

Can't score if he can't shoot!

RedPed

Whatabouter.
:lol: mate, what are you on about?
"I'm glad I am not the one making decision because I'd definitely buy him, even though I know he's nowhere near being good enough."
Quoting myself here, if that bit of humor makes you angry then let's leave it. Clearly you're being sensitive about De Gea so maybe let's just leave it because I don't want to hurt your feelings as Dave is not having a good time now. Or this season in general.

I'm not backtracking anything, I have a firm opinion on both De Gea and Weghorst, you seem like a weirdo who's following my posts so you should know by now I've been very consistent on this.

I don't question De Gea loyalty, I have no problem with his attitude, he's just not a good enough goalkeeper, just as Wout isn't good enough as CF. I don't particularly see De Gea as likeable character, I'm neutral when it comes to him. He's too timid as a goalkeeper what has been a problem for us, but this isn't a big pain for us now because we have very experienced backline. It's a bit weird De Gea still plays like that 21yo boy when he joined, and he's actually the most senior player.

Both De Gea and Wout are in the same bucket, they do the job because we have noone else, and both can be easily upgraded. You like De Gea, I much prefer Weghorst for his attitude and that he's actually enjoying being here. I really don't know why you want to make this about De Gea. Just enjoy Wout good performance/goal or leave this thread, why all those negative vibes?
Wow, chill bro! So much pent-up energy.

The Firestarter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.