g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Wout Weghorst image 27

Wout Weghorst Netherlands flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chief123

He’s clearly a limited talent but he’s taking a lot of undue heat in here too. The truth is he is a big reason why we are deep into winning 3 trophies and getting a top 4 finished. Without him we would have been screwed.

glazed

Eats diamonds to beat thermodynamics
Too funny not to repost, though i like Wout...

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
His transfer activity to this point is 100% isn’t it. Martinez best defender in the prem. Casemiro best mid in the prem. Antony fantastic signing even for £80m - we won’t lose money on him. He’ll go to Barca in 5 years for £100m+. Malacia - solid buy at 13m - again we won’t lose on him.
Sabitzer and Wout - loans not transfers.
Well if you decide to interpret it as you have then absolutely, 100%.

And Casemiro is Casemiro. Choosing to sign Casemiro when you need a defensive midfielder isn’t what I’d call brilliant transfer nous. It’s just the benefit of being at one of very fee clubs who can sign Casemiro.

edcunited1878

Well if you decide to interpret it as you have then absolutely, 100%.

And Casemiro is Casemiro. Choosing to sign Casemiro when you need a defensive midfielder isn’t what I’d call brilliant transfer nous. It’s just the benefit of being at one of very fee clubs who can sign Casemiro.
Casemiro wanted to come to United and had a plan that involved United for a while. Yes, United can pay him and the transfer fee, but shows the pull United have always had and still do (even if it's a lot more competitve for player signatures).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Casemiro wanted to come to United and had a plan that involved United for a while. Yes, United can pay him and the transfer fee, but shows the pull United have always had and still do (even if it's a lot more competitve for player signatures).
Which is not very different from what I said. There’s no club that was after a midfielder last summer that would not have liked Casemiro in their team. We’re fortunate that we are one of the few where it is more than a dream. i wouldn’t put that down to Ten Hag’s transfer brilliance at all. He was hardly an unearthed gem.

edcunited1878

Which is not very different from what I said. There’s no club that was after a midfielder last summer that would not have liked Casemiro in their team. We’re fortunate that we are one of the few where it is more than a dream. i wouldn’t put that down to Ten Hag’s transfer brilliance at all. He was hardly an unearthed gem.
An unearthed gem he was not obviously, just that it caught everyone off guard since it was air tight between Casemiro and Real Madrid. World class player controlled his career and United benefitted from it. Awesome.

As it relates to Weghorst, for an emergency position and how thin the position is in a January window, he's done a job and well at times. Scoring goals has been underwhelming, very much, but he's still contributing to the team and overall play.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
An unearthed gem he was not obviously, just that it caught everyone off guard since it was air tight between Casemiro and Real Madrid. World class player controlled his career and United benefitted from it. Awesome.

As it relates to Weghorst, for an emergency position and how thin the position is in a January window, he's done a job and well at times. Scoring goals has been underwhelming, very much, but he's still contributing to the team and overall play.
I’m not sure there’s anything there that renders my unwillingness to subscribe to the ‘if Ten Hag wants him that’s good enough for me’ uncalled for. Your description of Antony makes him sound like a unanimous success, when you are fully aware that isn’t the truth. Left to Ten Hag, we’d probably have Brobbey, Arnautovic and Dest. His transfer strategy is not beyond question. Weghorst is far from good enough to play for Manchester United, yet he does, every single game.

edcunited1878

I’m not sure there’s anything there that renders my unwillingness to subscribe to the ‘if Ten Hag wants him that’s good enough for me’ uncalled for. Your description of Antony makes him sound like a unanimous success, when you are fully aware that isn’t the truth. Left to Ten Hag, we’d probably have Brobbey, Arnautovic and Dest. His transfer strategy is not beyond question. Weghorst is far from good enough to play for Manchester United, yet he does, every single game.
We don't exactly know who EtH really wanted, even with the rumors. And EtH operated well with a director of football with what's his face at Ajax before he got canned. And EtH doesn't seem like a manager who has total ego trips and shuts his eyes and ears off from people.

If left to EtH, Arnautovic and Rabiot were clearer targets and when supplemented by the scouting/data teams, they would have been a benefit to the squad.

Weghorst plays every single game he's available because there is literally nobody else available to play as CF or drop deep. None of this false 9 crap or Marcus as an out and out CF leading the line. Sure, put Marcus centrally towards the end of the match, but his optimal position has been coming from the left as as left forward. It's clear as day to most.

Everyone has to stop at the transfer fee at some time and just look at how the team performs when that player is on the pitch. There's enough evidence to say that Weghorst isn't good at scoring goals, but he's still contributing positively (most matches) that he starts/plays in. Similar to Antony, but we agree there needs to be a lot more from both players especially Weghorst who has had many clear chances to score more and as a more seasoned and experienced pro than Antony - who is much more inexperienced and learning his way through England in his first season.

rollingstoned1

People comparing him with Ighalo when he's much better than Wout. Unfortunately he happened to be stuck here during the pandemic which meant that his settling in period here was scuttled and he never got on track after that. Weghorst hasn't done anything close to that goal Ighalo scored against Linz.

Lee565

He is the one big knock on eth as a manager, why on earth is ten hag favouring him as a starter when he adds so little but pressing, we have seen plenty other side over the years like chelsea, man City and Liverpool opt for using a winger or attacking midfielder to cover the forward role instead of resorting to panic raiding the bargain bucket for a slow clumsy misfiring striker.

I would rather see eth experiment with using a winger or attacking midfielder or someone like mctominay in the false 9 role instead of playing it safe with a woeful striker

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
People comparing him with Ighalo when he's much better than Wout. Unfortunately he happened to be stuck here during the pandemic which meant that his settling in period here was scuttled and he never got on track after that. Weghorst hasn't done anything close to that goal Ighalo scored against Linz.
Ighalo before the covid lockdown was better than Wout has been for us so far. But that was only a couple of months. After the lockdown Ighalo was terrible and provided absolutely nothing to the team, worse than what Wout has been.

Hackman2210

Dude, we wouldn't even recoup half on Antony if we sold this summer. Only way we're selling him for profit is finding dirt on Boehly.
Mudryk went for £80m - Raphina for £60m. We'll get 5 years out of Antony on not excessive wages and we'll sell on for close to or more than we paid. Good signing. ETH has actually made our bad signings look good - AWB for one. Varane was unconvincing under Solskjaer and Rangnick. He's back to world class under ETH.

rollingstoned1

Ighalo before the covid lockdown was better than Wout has been for us so far. But that was only a couple of months. After the lockdown Ighalo was terrible and provided absolutely nothing to the team, worse than what Wout has been.
I had a look at that whole season's stats for Odion and he barely started many matches yet scored 5 goals which is more than Wout has managed so far. Of course it was a loan deal from Shenhua and by the time he even got a chance to get going the season was truncated and he had to return before the following season barely began. It was rarely 18 or so uninterrupted starts for us where he was not under any pressure from anyone else for his spot.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I had a look at that whole season's stats for Odion and he barely started many matches yet scored 5 goals which is more than Wout has managed so far. Of course it was a loan deal from Shenhua and by the time he even got a chance to get going the season was truncated and he had to return before the following season barely began. It was rarely 18 or so uninterrupted starts for us where he was not under any pressure from anyone else for his spot.
Four of those goals were in the first couple of months he was here before lockdown, against Club Brugge, LASK and Derby County. Ighalo was playing surprisingly well during this period and looked like a good loan, but it's not like he was doing it against Barcelona.

When lockdown ended there were still three months left of the season, and he was here for the first half of the following season. He just barely played during that time, most likely because he was terrible every time he was given a chance and presumably looked equally bad in training. He just looked slow, ponderous and unfit, and from memory his touch was all over the place.

Ighalo before lockdown (which was less than two months) was good. Better than Wout, albeit he was doing it against worse opposition. But Wout has been comfortably better than Ighalo was after lockdown.

rollingstoned1

Four of those goals were in the first couple of months he was here before lockdown, against Club Brugge, LASK and Derby County. Ighalo was playing surprisingly well during this period and looked like a good loan, but it's not like he was doing it against Barcelona.

When lockdown ended there were still three months left of the season, and he was here for the first half of the following season. He just barely played during that time, most likely because he was terrible every time he was given a chance and presumably looked equally bad in training. He just looked slow, ponderous and unfit, and from memory his touch was all over the place.

Ighalo before lockdown (which was less than two months) was good. Better than Wout, albeit he was doing it against worse opposition. But Wout has been comfortably better than Ighalo was after lockdown.
Tbf it's not like every game Wout is playing is against Europe's creme de le creme to discredit Ighalo. Nor is the team right now winning because of him to conclusively and categorically say that he is better than Ighalo was who didn't get a fair run no matter which way you want to look at it. Only thing in common was that no one expected much from both loans which were just stop gap arrangements though Wout came here expecting to start since our depth up front is even worse than it was during 2020,

jem

He is the one big knock on eth as a manager, why on earth is ten hag favouring him as a starter when he adds so little but pressing, we have seen plenty other side over the years like chelsea, man City and Liverpool opt for using a winger or attacking midfielder to cover the forward role instead of resorting to panic raiding the bargain bucket for a slow clumsy misfiring striker.

I would rather see eth experiment with using a winger or attacking midfielder or someone like mctominay in the false 9 role instead of playing it safe with a woeful striker
The only option I can see would be using Rashford there, but you can see why ETH would be reluctant to remove Rashford from the wing given the stunning form he's produced there (a fair chunk of it coming during the time Weghorst has been here.) This McTominay speculation strikes me as ridiculous. If it didn't work out (which is a fairly safe assumption), ETH would be rightly raked over the coals. If Martial gets fit again and ETH continues to persist with Weghorst, then I'd be inclined to agree with you, but until that happens, I don't think he has much choice.

Santoryo

ripping the reward
Tbf it's not like every game Wout is playing is against Europe's creme de le creme to discredit Ighalo. Nor is the team right now winning because of him to conclusively and categorically say that he is better than Ighalo was who didn't get a fair run no matter which way you want to look at it. Only thing in common was that no one expected much from both loans which were just stop gap arrangements though Wout came here expecting to start since our depth up front is even worse than it was during 2020,
It's also important to note that Wout has had the luxury of starting consecutive game and making regular appearances which helps with rhythm. Ighalo was up against an inform Martial whom after the lockdown probably played his best United football. Wout's place in the starting line up hasn't been threatened so far and he's getting regular playing time yet he hasn't managed to impress at all.

Once(if) somehow Martial manages to stay fit for the remainder of the season, Wout won't be seeing much playing time and his performances are likely to tank and be worse than even what he's shown so far.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Lads, I found Wout's twin brother.

Newcastle 2:0 Man Utd

Erics_Collar

I've seen players like Donald Love, James Wilson, Rodrigo Possebon, William Prunier and Gabriel Obertan play for this club.

This caricature of an oaf might just be the worst player I've ever seen play for us.

dove

Can't wait for someone to be like "but it still was 0-0 right until he came off!". Guy is so bad at football it's ridiculous.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
At this point it's obvious that even the players are boycotting him. No one wants to even pass him the ball anymore because he is nowhere near requiered level.

Edit: just 10 touches in the entire game, 4 successfull passes.

Gottabekiddingme

He's bad but he's not THAT bad. No striker can make it in Manchester United as long the wings are occupied by the likes of Antony and Sancho.

FriedClams

Easily in the top 3 of worst players to play for this club in the premier league era.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
‘If Ten Hag wants him then that’s fine by me’. This guy is absolutely shocking and feck knows why anyone would decide to bring him to Manchester United. These noises I’m hearing about him being here next season are very worrying.

AndySmith1990

I think it's fair to put him alongside the likes of Bebe and Djemba Djemba when we talk about the worst United players in modern history

el3mel

Ultimately it's not his fault he's a godawful player. It's the manager's fault for keeping on starting him for months as if he's prime Ronaldo.

Now Martial is back so I hope Ten Hag has no excuses to start him.

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
It’s (presumably) not his fault he’s getting the amount of time he is. He was offered the chance to come and play for Man Utd, took it, tried his best but is shit and his manager still hasn’t noticed.

Other than refuse to play, I’m not sure what he’s supposed to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.