Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

fergiewherearethou

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Wout should serve as an example for those who think any bog standard player could score goals in a team that creates a lot.

I've haven't seen a player look so out of place since Bebe. What makes it worse is he's so slow, it looks like everyone else is playing at 1.5 speed compare to him.
Back then, we had the luxury of admitting a mistake and bring someone else in the team.
I don't think Bebe played a full game for us in the league, I remember SAF substituting him after 20 minutes in a game vs Wolves at OT where he made a few bad passes and crosses and fans became irritated.
Weghost started a lot of games already and we have absolutely no one to play instead, that's the worrying part. For me the fact that we are 3rd in the league and still in all cup competitions with him as the "spearhead" of our attacks is absolutely amazing.
Suggesting to keep him as a back-up is nonsense really, back-up in what role? Gatekeeper?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I’d like to see us play without him every now and then. I like his pressing but come on ETH. He doesn’t have to play every game ffs. At this rate we’ll sign him permanently which would be a bit depressing.

frostbite

Why did Burnley loan him out to Besiktas? Did Burnley believe that Wout is not good enough for the Championship? Or there was some other reason?

padzilla

Hipster
Not to slate Ten Hag because I love the guy but Weghorst is a hangover from how we handled Ronaldo, he should have been out the door in the summer giving us time to find a credible replacement instead of bargain basement shopping in January for cheap loan options.

Ronaldo absolutely had to go but thinking Weghorst was anything more than back up, instead of starting every game, is bizarre. I can't see how Rashford up front as central striker with two of Antony, Sancho and Garnacho on either side is not a better option than playing what amounts to a hard working central defender up front.

jem

In addition to everything else that's been said about him, I can't help but wondering if Weghorst could use a break. He's played continuously since joining us and I imagine was pretty active prior to joining us, what with the World Cup and all. He's not really at the required standard anyway, but if he's knackered, that will only make him less effective at the few things he does do well. Oh how we could use Martial being fit...

Hackman2210

I think ETH loving him is a mistake as well. And just because a player is a stop gap doesn’t mean he should be cheered on for serving up shit on a weekly basis, but by all means just go be a top red fist pumping to that pressing masterclass from Weghorst.
You've lost the arguement by critising ETH - the man has single handedly turned us around. That is not his squad yet - Wout is there to do a job and he's doing it. Look at the results!

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
In addition to everything else that's been said about him, I can't help but wondering if Weghorst could use a break. He's played continuously since joining us and I imagine was pretty active prior to joining us, what with the World Cup and all. He's not really at the required standard anyway, but if he's knackered, that will only make him less effective at the few things he does do well. Oh how we could use Martial being fit...
I only skimmed back 3 pages, but I believe you're the first to mention this, and it is what I was coming in here to say. The guy is clearly running on fumes himself still trying to give everything he has to an obvious diminishing return.

We're running him into the ground, but because he's not very good, it is overlooked or not even factored into the criticism of him.

Hopefully he gets a chance to recharge some over the break, but the player he is now wasn't the player he was a few weeks ago.

jem

I only skimmed back 3 pages, but I believe you're the first to mention this, and it is what I was coming in here to say. The guy is clearly running on fumes himself still trying to give everything he has to an obvious diminishing return.

We're running him into the ground, but because he's not very good, it is overlooked or not even factored into the criticism of him.

Hopefully he gets a chance to recharge some over the break, but the player he is now wasn't the player he was a few weeks ago.
I agree. I mean he probably isn't the requisite standard, even for a squad player, but the people on here calling him a donkey or saying that we are playing with 10 men seem to be overlooking the fact that he had some very good games about a month ago (albeit without any goals.)

Valencia Shin Crosses

You've lost the arguement by critising ETH - the man has single handedly turned us around. That is not his squad yet - Wout is there to do a job and he's doing it. Look at the results!
I've lost the argument... because I criticized the manager... so by your logic anyone that says anything against the manager is always wrong. Okay pal.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Not to slate Ten Hag because I love the guy but Weghorst is a hangover from how we handled Ronaldo, he should have been out the door in the summer giving us time to find a credible replacement instead of bargain basement shopping in January for cheap loan options.

Ronaldo absolutely had to go but thinking Weghorst was anything more than back up, instead of starting every game, is bizarre. I can't see how Rashford up front as central striker with two of Antony, Sancho and Garnacho on either side is not a better option than playing what amounts to a hard working central defender up front.
Only thing is I think we DID try to get Ronaldo out, his agent practically whored him out to any UCL club that would be interested. And no one was interested. At the time we couldn't just terminate his contract, and for all his criticism Ronaldo was still a very good goal scorer last year. So I'm not so sure that particular part is ETH's fault. But yes I agree that this facade that we are better off starting a DM at striker instead of moving Rashford centrally and having Sancho or Garnacho on the left is stupid.

NLunited

Why did Burnley loan him out to Besiktas? Did Burnley believe that Wout is not good enough for the Championship? Or there was some other reason?
His contract: Wout is not required to play for them while they are in the Championship.

NLunited

He absolutely does need a break. I think he is working so hard that his finishing is suffering: he looks knackered.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Typical Wout performance against Framce yesterday. He kicked a few of em over and almost got into a good position a few times. Worked hard and looked sad we lost.

Ish

Lights on for Luke

Yeah sort of agree but I think EtH handled the Ronaldo saga as well as he could, given what he walked into. I think it was the hierarchy who wanted a transfer fee/was unwilling to let Ronaldo leave until it became too toxic etc. EtH also have Ronaldo his fair chances as he said he’d give most of the squad (a clean slate).

Agreed WW is nowhere near the required standard to start but he was always only supposed to be a backup until we could land someone in the summer - and unfortunately Martial can’t stay fit these days. There were clear financial constraints in January and the pool of loan options available wasn’t really much “better”, if at all (Aboubakar fella from Cameroon was linked as well). I think the only thing which was clear was that we had no money to spend.

With your last point, I sort of agree - rashford up top or even playing with a false 9 (Bruno) of sorts, on paper, all seem like a much better option currently but i guess the manager sees it differently as we’d lose both bruno (who’s been shifted wide in effectively and played false 9 before iirc) and Rashfords best attributes and EtH clearly wants a bigger, hard working striker who can bring others into play. But yeah, unfortunate for the manager that this is his only natural CF option at present. Nowhere near good enough, even as a squad player IMO.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Typical Wout performance against Framce yesterday. He kicked a few of em over and almost got into a good position a few times. Worked hard and looked sad we lost.
:lol:

For many United fans I am sure that's more than enough you can expect from your striker.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He’s given us great pressing and some decent link up play but aside from that he’s not really PL standard.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord

For many United fans I am sure that's more than enough you can expect from your striker.
No one can look sad like Wout does. This is the greatest one after he lost the Dutch cup final to Feyenoord. He sat there for minutes. His teammates, but also our team came to console him, even the ref gave him a pad on the shoulder as to say, there there mate, you'll live.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Worth more than anything that can be done with a football to many United fans.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
No one can look sad like Wout does. This is the greatest one after he lost the Dutch cup final to Feyenoord. He sat there for minutes. His teammates, but also our team came to console him, even the ref gave him a pad on the shoulder as to say, there there mate, you'll live.

flappyjay

Missed 7 games though injury in his entire career and apparently 3 of those games were missed because he got covid. That's a superb record.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
It's the same reason Martial even at his best was never loved besides a small minority of fans. He never smiled and always looked unhappy so people disliked him.

Comical really to judge a footballer by some facial expressions but whatever.
It is a society thing. Extroverts are always loved more than introverts.

Last edited:

stevoc

Missed 7 games though injury in his entire career and apparently 3 of those games were missed because he got covid. That's a superb record.
It's a remarkable record.

Though there's zero chance of him ever pulling a hamstring the speed he runs. So that's a good starting point for a forward to stay injury free.

Idxomer

I'm hoping for a miracle that Martial comes back and remain healthy till the end of the season.

It's not gonna end well if Weghorst kept being our main striker.

Bertie Wooster

Manages to not score as a striker against Gibraltar in 90 minutes. Uncanny.
I watched that game.

Don't remember seeing stats like that before - Netherlands 51 shots to 0, 19 corners to 0. :lol:

How Weghorst failed to score against them even when they were down to 10 men for most of the second half, I'm not sure.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I watched that game.

Don't remember seeing stats like that before - Netherlands 51 shots to 0, 19 corners to 0. :lol:

How Weghorst failed to score against them even when they were down to 10 men for most of the second half, I'm not sure.
With his size he should've scored at least 5 headers, but he just really cant head a ball to save his life.

The fact he almost single handedly sank Argentina is weirder every day.

stevoc

8 shots 0 goals vs 10 man Gibraltar. Poor Wout can't catch a break.

He could jump into a barrel of boobs and come out sucking his thumb.

PSV

I guess this is what happens when you don't have a van as a Dutch striker.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist

I guess this is what happens when you don't have a van as a Dutch striker.
90 minutes, 10 passes, 7 shots, 2.18xG but just 0.36 xG on target (as in he had great chances but made it easy for the keeper to not score anything)... That's not great man.

Status
Not open for further replies.