g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Wout Weghorst image 27

Wout Weghorst Netherlands flag

2022-23 Performances

View full 2022-23 profile

5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

TheReligion

Abusive
Some of the posts here are incredibly bad.

Weghorst was very good last night. He played a part in all of the goals and his link up play, particularly in the first half, was superb.

Some posters need to accept and understand his role in the team. You don’t pick up a goal machine in January for a million quid.

ti vu

We won 3-1 and in al 3 goals Workhorse was involved. What more do you want?
I think WW is one of the better performer this game, but I don't agree to this result based assessment.

Bruno still played the whole game, and other keys players subbed in to rescue the game. So we didn't really get the wanted scoreline until 90th minute. West Ham had good chance to score 2-0, so the final scoreline doesn't tell the whole story: it would be nice to have a rotation striker who can also decide games much earlier so we don't need our key players. West Ham is mid table, and this season lower half of the table.

His goal involvement this game is very percentage. You expect everyone in WW position to attack that corner. Whether West Ham defender mess up or clear it properly is out of our control. Bare minimum requirement.

Similarly, his blocked shot leading to Garnacho is out of WW's control. The ball ended up in Garnacho possession kindly and still required Garnacho quality finish. Imagine Garnacho and Weghorst swap places here. I would expect Garnacho made a better shot that WW did. If the shot blocked and drop to WW (in Garnacho position), I don't expect WW to score.

West Ham defender had brainfart leading to the third goal. WW's effort is admirable and his contributation for this goal is clearer. However, as the chance was initiated with an unforced error (the first touch), it doesn't happen handful of time every game that you can expect WW to help deciding the game without him actually scoring, properly creating goal playing with the ball.

Result, final scoreline is covering over the crack that we really rely on Rashford prolific form. Else we look like a team that would struggle to score, and require scrappy goal to even get over lower midtabler.

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Has looked useful and it is a credit to him everyone can see what he is instructed to deliver tactically.

At his age I doubt he will suddenly learn how to hit a barndoor, let alone score all that much, but beggars can't be choosers and even beyond this season he would quite clearly be a useful squaddie.

F-Red

Would love to see some stats on where we turnover the ball prior and post him joining United. I get the feeling his pressing is making us win the ball higher up the pitch. Thought he played very well last night.

PigeonEscobar

I just can’t bring myself to be mad at him or irritated when he misses good opportunities, there’s something really captivating about him.
I would be sad if he wasn’t a part of the squad next season, I have a feeling he will score a very important goal for us this season.

Funkenstein

He's like the anti-Ronaldo. Likeable, incredible workrate, zero finishing ability.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Is your assumption that every non-first choice striker that offers something of a threat costs 100m? Because that's hilarious if so.

I appreciate how much he presses and runs as much as anyone, but we are acting like it's impossible to find another striker that can do similar levels of running but actually gives some quality in the final third unless you break the bank for one. The striker market is a bit thin but it's not that thin.
Similar strikers i can think of is Richarlison that costed 60m. Perhaps Gabriel Jesus that costed 40m. None of them are prolific either.

Then you have a one season wonder like Nunez who is hardworker (but less of a passer) with a bit more clinical that costed 100m.

Or we may end up with the likes of Aubameyang. A working-shy non-prolific striker.

Last edited:

Chief123

Some of the posts here are incredibly bad.

Weghorst was very good last night. He played a part in all of the goals and his link up play, particularly in the first half, was superb.

Some posters need to accept and understand his role in the team. You don’t pick up a goal machine in January for a million quid.
I can’t believe some of the hate he gets. So many of our goals have been initiated by his work rate recently. The cafe would have hated Firmino!

next_number_seven

I just can’t bring myself to be mad at him or irritated when he misses good opportunities, there’s something really captivating about him.
I would be sad if he wasn’t a part of the squad next season, I have a feeling he will score a very important goal for us this season.
Me too. He'll score important goals . I like him

r1z3mu

I like him. Horrible striker but great teammate and very useful press machine. He does play his role very well. There is a reason ETH picked him.

2Injurytimegoal

Haha, some posters here are so weird what even the whole FIFA team of the year here, they still won't be satisfied.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Similar strikers i can think of is Richarlison that costed 60m. Perhaps Gabriel Jesus that costed 40m. None of them are prolific either.

Then you have a one season wonder like Nunez who is hardworker (but less of a passer) with a bit more clinical that costed 100m.

Or we may end up with the likes of Aubameyang. A working-shy non-prolific striker.
There's a difference between "not very prolific" and unable to create any sort of danger for the opposition on or off the ball. Weghorst is essentially a defensive striker. It's effective enough for now because Rashford has managed to become a truly elite forward in the form of his life currently, but in matches like tonight before Rashford came on it really shows it's ugly head.

This doesn't have to be an either/or thing, where it's either a striker that might as well be a high pressing center mid up front, or an expensive big name signing from another PL club as a backup.

Betson

We know he is never going to rack up the goals , that is why he is not at a big club permanently.

But as a low cost loan signing he has been a very good signing , he is doing exactly what ETH wanted him to do and doing it well.

Greck

Is your assumption that every non-first choice striker that offers something of a threat costs 100m? Because that's hilarious if so.

I appreciate how much he presses and runs as much as anyone, but we are acting like it's impossible to find another striker that can do similar levels of running but actually gives some quality in the final third unless you break the bank for one. The striker market is a bit thin but it's not that thin.
Yeah I'm not on board making it permanent. Is actually ruining this experience for me because I just want to be able to praise him as a stopgap not assess his shrtcomings as a permanent. I'd wager many who now say it's unreasonable to upgrade didn't even know of Weghorst's existence before January. We achieved his signing in the most constrained part of the transfer market, we can do it again but even better, especially when our hands aren't tied to free transfers, who aren't cup tied and/or willing to move midseason. Has nothing to do with the player being irreplaceable. If ETH thinks we can upgrade we could do so easily. He's a hardworker with good back to goal passing and little else, it's not exactly a tough skillset for any scouting department to work on. On the contrary I think what's crazy is siggesting Weghorst is the best backup striker Man United can get, even counting free transfers.

Last edited:

city-puma

The minimal people should acknowledge is that he is a huge upgrade to Ronaldo!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
If the Boss says it, it must be true.
I really don’t think we should be making him permanent but for the kind of signing he was I.e stop gap, for peanuts etc he’s done well. Good move by United and ETH to get him on a loan.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Yeah I'm not on board making it permanent. Is actually ruining this experience for me because I just want to be able to praise him as a stopgap not assess his shrtcomings as a permanent. I'd wager many who now say it's unreasonable to upgrade didn't even know of Weghorst's existence before January. We achieved his signing in the most constrained part of the transfer market, we can do it again but even better, especially when our hands aren't tied to free transfers, who aren't cup tied and/or willing to move midseason. Has nothing to do with the player being irreplaceable. If ETH thinks we can upgrade we could do so easily. He's a hardworker with good back to goal passing and little else, it's not exactly a tough skillset for any scouting department to work on. On the contrary I think what's crazy is siggesting Weghorst is the best backup striker Man United can get even counting free transfers.
Exactly my point. Weghorst was a complete emergency last minute loan after Ronaldo left and Martial went down injured again. He's managed to contribute to the team even without scoring in his own way and I'm happy for that, but suggesting that he's the best we can get before having to move up into big money 60m+ signings is just ignorant.

lex talionis

We know he is never going to rack up the goals , that is why he is not at a big club permanently.

But as a low cost loan signing he has been a very good signing , he is doing exactly what ETH wanted him to do and doing it well.
Agreed. There can be no serious complaints about Weggy, although we're all entitled to lament that for a variety of reasons we have been without a proper 9 since RvP.

NoPace

He definitely grew on me because of his attitude. There is not much chance that we would get two strikers in the summer. I am ok with keeping him on the bench for a couple of years.
He's starting to get integrated better with play at least, switching the ball and not hurting his teammates' play going forward as he's played some useful balls.

I could see him get a 1+1 contract or 2+1 and be sold in the summer of 2024 if Ten Hag just wants Martial gone or can't move him but thinks of him as a luxury. If he's free and it's a small salary and realizes he might end up out of the squad a lot of the time, than sure.

Ten Hag liking him makes me think we might sign Havertz in like 2 years from a Bundesliga or Serie A team if he goes there this summer.

Wing Attack Plan R

I really like him. Zero ego on him, links play really well, causes good things to happen with his mischief. His story is why we love football. His story is the antithesis to City’s cold, mercenary success. Wout has said it is literally his childhood dream come true getting to play for United. I hope we sign him permanently.

Klean

Burnley will ask a bit of money now. Plus they will need to get a PL grade replacement when they get promoted. That will be built into the price increase.
Weghorst is 30 years old. He is going to have a limited market and not a lot of suitors because of his style. It's an easy deal to walk from if they inflate the price. Therefore, I believe he would be a better deal because Burnely would get stuck with an asset they cannot use if we do not buy him.

Strelok

He also has a very good first touch and quite good passing
Imo it's only okayish not very good.

Anyway I started to change my mind a bit. Still think we should find some better backup strikers in the summer but I wouldn't mind if we keep him. If he can keep doing what he's been doing lately until the end of the season imo he'd earn himself another year here.

Plus the fans really like him, his teammates really like him he always works his arse off for the team imo it'd be a bit too cold and too un-United to tell him to leave at the end of the season. Let the fairy tail continue. Hope Burnley won't be crazy and ask for some unreasonable money though.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He also has a very good first touch and quite good passing
Apart from goal threat, he is good player. He has very good first touch and passing like you mentioned. Links up play very well, in final third makes good decision to find player in good position, either by pass or layoff. Hos work rate in unreal and always a nuisance battling for every 50-50 ball.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
His best cameos have come in the ‘10 role’

Didn’t expect that

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Physical presence; works like feck to create spaces for others and generates quite a number of assists.

What is there not to like? I bet he's the sort of player that players really appreciate.

Sid234

I mean he isn't good enough for United though is he?

Let's be honest here, he's not a player we would have signed last summer (probably not this summer either) and we only loaned him as we're skint and have no striker with Ronaldo leaving and Martial being perma crocked.

He's working hard for the team and playing well enough though.
I think he is good enough for United - as much as we'd love to have a team of Rashford's - we need players like Wout as part of the squad.

He clearly does what the manager expects of him very well. I don't think EtH would be playing him if he wasn't delivering and I think he is not as bad a footballer as some one here make him out to be.

reddevilz007

He’s a good squad option to have. Sign him for cheap and get a real striker.
Sell Martial.

Fabio Rochemback

Yeah I agree, I'm astonished that quite a lot of people want to make his move permanent. It's as if some people think that a backup player has to be kind of shit.

Sviken

He’s a good squad option to have. Sign him for cheap and get a real striker.
Sell Martial.
This is perfect. Osimhen + Werghorst as a sub when he is needed. Reliable and hardworking are the absolute top qualities we should be looking for. Sell Martial, as you said. He's not even remotely reliable and is on huge wages.

Tarrou

Yeah I agree, I'm astonished that quite a lot of people want to make his move permanent. It's as if some people think that a backup player has to be kind of shit.
people will soon change their tune once we lose a game where he misses chances

ScholesyTheWise

It's super easy to warm to him, which I have,

But I wouldn't want him even as a 2nd striker / "backup to the real striker we're going to sign".
Imagine your "elite striker" having a rough patch or getting injured,

and you once again have to count on Weghorst or some of your wingers to bang in the goals.

And then people will say he's better at some sort of #10 role,
but then you'd have to think there are better options out there?

If he's satisfied with being a squad player on low wages who will play a bit part (less than the game time O'Shea or Park got),
then fine. Would love to have his character around and use him for very specific matches.

But after all the pussies we had to endure the last couple of years,
it's no wonder the Caf would like to sign a striker who's bad at scoring goals, just because of character and pressing ability.
He should never be part of our offensive line. More of a weird midfielder.

croadyman

This is perfect. Osimhen + Werghorst as a sub when he is needed. Reliable and hardworking are the absolute top qualities we should be looking for. Sell Martial, as you said. He's not even remotely reliable and is on huge wages.
That's what I would like to happen,don't think we are interested in Thuram and Benzema won't leave Madrid despite contract up

crossy1686

career ending
I'm all for signing him around £10m to play backup to the main striker we buy in the summer, we simply can't even think about relying on Martial for that anymore.

I'd also try and loan Sabitzer for one more season after this one. He's great back up.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
you really want us to sign a striker you don't expect to score goals?
Don't even bother, for some reason people are convinced that because you cost nothing it's ok if you just run a lot. Even if you are a striker.

dove

you really want us to sign a striker you don't expect to score goals?
Yea and then people complain how we have no goals without Rashford in the team… having s striker allergic to goals certainly doesn’t help IMO. I like WW but all the comments about him being “amazing”, “brilliant” etc are weird. He is doing okay as a loan signing but having him as our striker or even a backup striker in the long run is a big no no. Way too limited in pretty much everything except pressing.

Real Name

Would love to see some stats on where we turnover the ball prior and post him joining United. I get the feeling his pressing is making us win the ball higher up the pitch. Thought he played very well last night.
Exactly this, he's good at pressing and he's all over the pitch, on opponents back all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.