Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2Injurytimegoal

We need more of this
For those who has doubts about his football ability, please have a look at this clip.

He has done almost everything apart from scoring, set up a few chances for his teammate, numerous pressing and tackle.

Our team is winning with him for a reason, people need to appreciate his work.

Unam333

I think Wout Weghorst has made a bigger impact than Sabitzer. Of course Weghorst has played in every game since his loan, so he has a better understanding with his teammates, but still, if I have to make a choice I'd rather sign Weghorst on a permanent basis.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
I bet we could say the same about WW before he came here.
No actually, link-up play was supposed to be one of his strengths - which is why his Burnley move made little sense in terms of stylistic fit.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I can understand why people don't like him but the disrespect is just too much. He has been brilliant and is one of the reason why we have been winning lately. Give credit where it's due.

Redlyn

Probably not good enough for a permanent contract but as a January stop gap to do a job he fits the bill.

Gorefest

Although I appreciate that he hasn't hit the net for Man Utd yet in the PL, I do think this whole story of 'non-scoring striker' is starting to lead a life of its own. Let's not forget that he scored 70 goals and had 22 assists in 144 matches for Wolfsburg and 45 goals and 13 assists in 86 matches for AZ Alkmaar. Granted, the Dutch league is much more forgiving for a striker, but running almost 1 in 2 in the Bundesliga (more than 1 in 2 if you take goals and assists combined) are no stats to be snuffed at. He didn't score much for Burnley, but that was in a relegation year at the tail end of a pandemic. He scored 8 goals in 16 games for Besiktas. WW can score goals, just give him time.

Redlyn

I bet we could say the same about WW before he came here.

McT is a midfielder and midfielders generally have better awareness than strikers, and probably better at linking play too since they're the ones who are supposed to link everything together. Midfielder is the most difficult position to play regarding the brain. If you have a football brain good enough to play there you can play basically anywhere.
Nah linking up play was his main selling point. Links up play and puts himself about but can't head and is not a target man. The burnely fans on here said as much and it's exactly what we are seeing on the pitch.

Blood Mage

I thought he was very good indeed yesterday. Fantastic link-up play and pressing. He's basically a false 9 despite having the physical traits of a traditional battering ram 9, a really deceptive player.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He's helpful for us with his link up play, but I just wish he didn't waste his chances in front of goal. His runs into the box aren't great either.

But as long as other people are scoring then it's fine. He plays very well in Ten Hag's system and ultimately that's what we need.

Grande

I thought he was very good indeed yesterday. Fantastic link-up play and pressing. He's basically a false 9 despite having the physical traits of a traditional battering ram 9, a really deceptive player.
Yea, I agree, except I normally see him as more of a false 6 than a 9 … Yesterday he played more like a 9 1/2 though, distributing high up, opening up play, and pressing forth errors for all three goals.

mu4c_20le

Nothing personal against him, seems like a nice guy and happy to be here, works hard etc. His ability or lack thereof is not his fault.

But I'd much rather sign someone like Ferguson. Young, works just as hard, and is always a threat whenever I watch him.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Nothing personal against him, seems like a nice guy and happy to be here, works hard etc. His ability or lack thereof is not his fault.

But I'd much rather sign someone like Ferguson. Young, works just as hard, and is always a threat whenever I watch him.
We could have both

I think I would love to have Ferguson - he just looks special and well worth a punt

Erik the Red

Anti-Haaland.

Does everything but score :lol: :drool:
Haaland: 33 games, 33 goals, 0 trophies
Weghorst: 13 games, 1 goal, 1 trophy!!!!!

Looooooollllllll!!!!!!!!

Goals are vanity, trophies are sanity, Wout is the King!!!!!

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Or, hear me out, we can sign a better striker that presses with the same effort as Weghorst but actually is dangerous going forward.
I'm not sure that there are many strikers that press with the same effort and effectiveness as Weghorst. It's quite possible that I'm overrating him but he seems genuinely impressive in that segment to me. Plus we'd want someone who was happy with a squad role. Don't get me wrong, a new first-choice striker is a must, and if money was no object I'd prefer a young prospect like Evan Ferguson in addition. I have my doubts that we'll be in that position though, so I'd be happy with Wout as our back-up option.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Although I appreciate that he hasn't hit the net for Man Utd yet in the PL, I do think this whole story of 'non-scoring striker' is starting to lead a life of its own. Let's not forget that he scored 70 goals and had 22 assists in 144 matches for Wolfsburg and 45 goals and 13 assists in 86 matches for AZ Alkmaar. Granted, the Dutch league is much more forgiving for a striker, but running almost 1 in 2 in the Bundesliga (more than 1 in 2 if you take goals and assists combined) are no stats to be snuffed at. He didn't score much for Burnley, but that was in a relegation year at the tail end of a pandemic. He scored 8 goals in 16 games for Besiktas. WW can score goals, just give him time.
I think it's pretty simple, really - he just isn't quick footed enough to get the shots away in the PL, or to navigate himself the space to get the shots off. He's averaging 1.39 shots per 90, which puts him in the bottom 4th percentile in the league for attackers. Can't score if you aren't taking shots!

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
i like him, id say bring him onboard on a permanent deal, as backup, ship off sulky McSicknote and bring in a starting striker...... jobs a good un.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I'm not sure that there are many strikers that press with the same effort and effectiveness as Weghorst. It's quite possible that I'm overrating him but he seems genuinely impressive in that segment to me. Plus we'd want someone who was happy with a squad role. Don't get me wrong, a new first-choice striker is a must, and if money was no object I'd prefer a young prospect like Evan Ferguson in addition. I have my doubts that we'll be in that position though, so I'd be happy with Wout as our back-up option.
He's a good presser, but again, for a striker looking to play for United that can't be the one thing you hang your hat on. Like I said before, people look so favorably on him right now because we are getting a ton of production from Rashford and the midfield, but you'd have a different idea if you had to watch a team without Rashford in it and Wout leading the line ineffectively. Having a backup striker that is basically not even a striker isn't a good option for any team that wants to compete for trophies.

Happy that he's finding a way to contribute, but graft shouldn't be a sole reason you manage to play for a top team in Europe no matter how many fans appreciate it

Olecurls99

And you are entitled to your opinion, but putting the eye test aside as it's fairly subjective, Welbeck has generally averaged anywhere between 1 in 3 or 1 in 4 G/A (generally closer to 1 in 3), and that remains consistent throughout his career despite all the injuries he has suffered, which unquestionably had an impact on his development and athleticism (this season he seems to have finally lost it though). That's all in the PL and better than anything Weghorst produced thus far at the same level of football.
There's a lot Weghorst does really well. He makes very good decisions on the ball has very good technique and he is a top level harrier. People think it's just hard work and so dismiss it but he's a very clever harrier and is making a big impact on the team overall.

Yes he's not getting lots of goals and assists but he's benefitting the team in a big way. There was some lovely link up play last night.

meamth

Lots of naysayers completely ignoring this. If he can keep playing with his back to goal like that he will assist a lot of goals for Casemiro, Fred and Sabitzer.
His set up play is almost Berbatov's level. Great understanding where his teammates is setting up for a shot.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
I think some of you here forgot the words from RVN. "Scoring goals is like getting ketchup out of the bottle. At first you hit the bottle, nothing comes out, you keep kitting it and before you know it you can't stop the ketchup from getting out." WW had his chances but some bad luck bagging them. Don't look surprised when the first one goes in, it starts to flow like ketchup.

RuudTom83

For no reason at all I’m expecting a cult hero moment from him sometimes this season.

I felt it might be against Newcastle last weekend, maybe Anfield on Sunday!

OleGunnar20

Guys absolute class. Shows how much of a difference attitude and real determination can make. I think we'd be mad not to sign him up permanently, alongside another striker (I'd move Martial on if possible).

Just get him in some intensive finishing sessions after hours.

The Dane

He is a very likeable and hard working guy, a shame that he is not a strong header that would definitely add to his value.
I am not sure if he brings enough to be offered a contract but then again it’s a fairly low risk option.

Rapsel

Supports
Ajax
Guys absolute class. Shows how much of a difference attitude and real determination can make. I think we'd be mad not to sign him up permanently, alongside another striker (I'd move Martial on if possible).

Just get him in some intensive finishing sessions after hours.

Wout is the epitome from Johan Cruijff's legendary saying "When you say a player needs help you automatically think you need to go towards him but in football space is important so if you want to help a player the best thing is to walk away so he gets space."

crossy1686

career ending
i like him, id say bring him onboard on a permanent deal, as backup, ship off sulky McSicknote and bring in a starting striker...... jobs a good un.
Perfect scenario if you ask me. Along with extending Sabitzers loan for another season, signing De Jong, shipping out McTomminay and Maguire. Perfect summer.

Greck

I think it's pretty simple, really - he just isn't quick footed enough to get the shots away in the PL, or to navigate himself the space to get the shots off. He's averaging 1.39 shots per 90, which puts him in the bottom 4th percentile in the league for attackers. Can't score if you aren't taking shots!
Sometimes the simplest most reductive answer is the truth. People can stop putting down our other attackers already. It's not about service this time as they are actually making us proud this season. Wout isn't a scorer in this team by his own limitations. He doesn't beat CBs to hot spots. Against Barca Bruno got a lot of flack for missing that 1v1 but he had to take that shot because Weghorst was taking ages to provide a square option. In the final third he's always 2nd, even 3rd to get on the end of anything and when it's not his footspeed holding him back it's low agility getting the shot blocked. As grateful as I am for this loan I'm pretty much on my knees begging God people aren't serious about making him permanent. Many didn't even know him in december yet he's apparently now considered unrealisitic to upgrade.

Last edited:

2Injurytimegoal

After re-watch the west-ham game, he set up 4 goal-scoring chances:

1) Square up the mid-range shot for Sabitzer on top of the area
2) Square up the mid-range shot for Cas in the 2nd half
3) Release Rashy on the right hand side in Injury time
4) Pressure the defender and assist Fred for the 3rd goal

Like our Manager said, he is one of the best performer last night.

Reactions: roonster09

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Apart from goal threat, he is good player. He has very good first touch and passing like you mentioned. Links up play very well, in final third makes good decision to find player in good position, either by pass or layoff. Hos work rate in unreal and always a nuisance battling for every 50-50 ball.
Yeah his workrate really is incredible. I know Rooney and Tevez ran all day but it feels like he’s even a level above that. And it’s rarely mindless running either. It’s very useful in moments, but at the same time it makes me a bit uneasy that it’s the most prominent feature of his game. Even though he had his uses, I used to chuckle at the fact Dirk Kuyt played most games for Liverpool.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
For those who has doubts about his football ability, please have a look at this clip.

He has done almost everything apart from scoring, set up a few chances for his teammate, numerous pressing and tackle.

Our team is winning with him for a reason, people need to appreciate his work.
I think this is glorifying him a bit. Wout has been subbed off at HT because we were not winning.

Or lets just ask a different question: Can Manchester United challenge for a title with a striker that does not score goals? We currently have one goal threat in Marcus Rashford, if he falls off our goals per game drops to: 1.

Wout is a role guy here, not the main man for goals. I can appreciate Wout for the role he plays, but he gets no brownie points for failing to score, he has had a few golden chances he has not put in the net.

And he runs like his legs move slightly faster than his torso can keep up.

Olecurls99

Sometimes the simplest most reductive answer is the truth. People can stop putting down our other attackers already. It's not about service this time as they are actually making us proud this season. Wout isn't a scorer in this team by his own limitations. He doesn't beat CBs to hot spots. Against Barca Bruno got a lot of flack for missing that 1v1 but he had to take that shot because Weghorst was taking ages to provide a square option. In the final third he's always 2nd, even 3rd to get on the end of anything and when it's not his footspeed holding him back it's low agility getting the shot blocked. As grateful as I am for this loan I'm pretty much on my knees begging God people aren't serious about making him permanent. Many didn't even know him in december yet he's apparently now considered unrealisitic to upgrade.

He actually reminds me of a tall Firmino. Not a lot of goals, lovely touches and great at fighting for the ball.

Last edited:

Brophs

The One and Only
I don’t think anyone has been more pleased to be at the club in a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.