Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrilliantOrange

Supports
Ajax Amsterdam
The thing is also that I actually have no doubt that he will also start finding the net at one point.. If there is one thing he has proven is that he can score goals and finish.. I would be worried about this if he wasnt getting into scoring position and wouldnt get many opportunities to score (like was the case at Burnley), but he is getting into position..

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
For no reason at all I’m expecting a cult hero moment from him sometimes this season.

I felt it might be against Newcastle last weekend, maybe Anfield on Sunday!
I've been thinking the same thing. Started with the Barcelona games, then Newcastle and now I think he'll score at Anfield :lol:

I do like him though. Hopefully ETH can improve his finishing a bit and we can keep him around as a backup option. Preferably a 3rd choice striker or someone who can rotate with a 2nd choice striker based on the type of game.

Havak

Pokemon master
Something I've been discussing with my mates is that Weghorst just makes me more sure that we must go all-out to sign Harry Kane. Hopefully, this doesn't derail the thread too much.

The style of play similarities are there for all to see. He drops deep and makes clever passes to the wingers / Bruno who run ahead. He has good height, he presses well, he can stick to his position when needed. He has aerial threat, he's professional. Harry Kane would basically slot in and replace Weghorst but likely add 30 more goal involvements than what Wout is capable of.

I'd say sign Harry Kane and Weghorst as the back up on a shorter contract, because we can play the same way when rotating. Sell Martial.

I really like Wout and his work ethic. He no doubt wants to stay. He would surely accept that he's a squad player for us but would always give 100%. I'm impressed with his contribution, but of course, we will always demand more goals and he'll have to figure that out if he wants this job longer term.

HydrogenFluoride

I'm surprised to see that Wout's average season rating is so low here. He does tremendous work on and off the ball, despite his first touch being clumsy in a few matches. He wins the ball back for us at least 4-5 times per match from the center of the pitch up to the opposition box, and sometimes even inside the opposition box as against West Ham!

I think he's lacking a bit of confidence at the moment when it comes to goalscoring, but also it's not as if his teammates are actively looking for him. Simply put he is not a primary option for shot taking. There have been many times when Rashford was running through the left edge of the box with Wout making a run in the penalty area but Rashford was only going for goal and never looking for the square ball, maybe rightfully so considering his form.

There was also a game recently where we literally started crossing the ball into the box after Wout went off, which was bizarre but actually bared fruit as Rashford managed to get a headed goal. It's clear that Wout is not a primary option in our finishing sequences currently but is crucial for his all-around work, but I do believe as games go on his teammates will also find him more.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I'm surprised to see that Wout's average season rating is so low here. If you watch for the details of things he does in a match they are tremendous. He wins the ball back for us at least 4-5 times per match from the center of the pitch up to the opposition box, and sometimes even inside the opposition box as against West Ham!

I think he's lacking a bit of confidence at the moment when it comes to goalscoring, but also it's not as if his teammates are looking for him. There have been many times when Rashford was running through the left edge of the box with Wout making a run in the penalty area but Rashford was only going for goal and never looking for the square ball, maybe rightfully so considering his form.

There was also a game recently where we literally started crossing the ball into the box after Wout went off, which was bizarre but actually bared fruit as Rashford managed to get a headed goal. It's clear that Wout is not a primary option in our finishing sequences currently but is crucial for his all-around work, but I do believe as games go on his teammates will also find him more.
This is because Leeds were tactically set up to prevent us crossing to Wout. Once he went off they relaxed that aspect of their game which allowed us to get the balls into Rashford, even then it required a marvelous header from Rashford for us to score.

2Injurytimegoal

I think this is glorifying him a bit. Wout has been subbed off at HT because we were not winning.

Or lets just ask a different question: Can Manchester United challenge for a title with a striker that does not score goals? We currently have one goal threat in Marcus Rashford, if he falls off our goals per game drops to: 1.

Wout is a role guy here, not the main man for goals. I can appreciate Wout for the role he plays, but he gets no brownie points for failing to score, he has had a few golden chances he has not put in the net.

And he runs like his legs move slightly faster than his torso can keep up.
I see your points and totally agree with that.

I am all in for a new no.9 like Osimhen/Vlahovic/Kane, a guy that share scoring burden with Rashy. But keeping Wout is doing no harm to a team that fighting multiple fronts, and he is cheap; relative low wage unlike Martial.

And yes his position is [Striker], but he is also defending like crazy, like I said in other post, he set up 4 goal scoring opportunities vs West Ham (not including the first two goals we scored), he is actually helping in the attacking too.

ETH definitely love hard presser, hard tackler even in the front line, you can see this in Antony, and I think Wout presence help like Rashy to save energy for attacking run which is crucial in my eye too.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
I think this is glorifying him a bit. Wout has been subbed off at HT because we were not winning.

Or lets just ask a different question: Can Manchester United challenge for a title with a striker that does not score goals? We currently have one goal threat in Marcus Rashford, if he falls off our goals per game drops to: 1.

Wout is a role guy here, not the main man for goals. I can appreciate Wout for the role he plays, but he gets no brownie points for failing to score, he has had a few golden chances he has not put in the net.

And he runs like his legs move slightly faster than his torso can keep up.
You are understanding it wrong. No one is asking him to be the starter. We still need to sign a proven goal scorer.

NLunited

Just read another comment elsewhere that WW had a bad game Wednesday: absolutely mental.

Weghorst is an ideal backup, look at his stats from Wednesday:

Wout Weghorst’s game by numbers vs. West Ham:

88% pass accuracy
34 touches
5 key passes
2 ground duels won
2 shots
1/1 dribble completed
1 assist

He is getting into scoring positions all the time, goals will come. He is teeing up his team mates but does not get set up enough himself.

An usual player, who is making a big difference for us.

croadyman

Just read another comment elsewhere that WW had a bad game Wednesday: absolutely mental.

Weghorst is an ideal backup, look at his stats from Wednesday:

Wout Weghorst’s game by numbers vs. West Ham:

88% pass accuracy
34 touches
5 key passes
2 ground duels won
2 shots
1/1 dribble completed
1 assist

He is getting into scoring positions all the time, goals will come. He is teeing up his team mates but does not get set up enough himself.

An usual player, who is making a big difference for us.
IF his only league goal is a winner at Anfield or just notches in a Utd victory then can totally live with that scenario

lex talionis

Weggy could be more productive on goal, but he's had a positive impact since joining United. It's a close call whether to keep on a backup CF next season.

Irwin99

Forlan moment coming up later :drool:

Also, I think he has 3 assists this season? Cup final counts I believe and then there was the one for Fred against West Ham.

Piabetic

Feels to me that Ten Hag appreciates and trusts Weghorst to do a job in the early part of a game and he can then sub him off and mix things up with some fresh legs to capitalise. I wouldn't mind him sticking around as squad player, can't keep too many 70m players happy on the bench on high wages and I think he would be more than happy with that role. He also seems like a top guy and a positive person to have around.

Reactions: Cheimoon

croadyman

Forlan moment coming up later :drool:

Also, I think he has 3 assists this season? Cup final counts I believe and then there was the one for Fred against West Ham.
Would make up for that shite Arsenal result

croadyman

Weggy could be more productive on goal, but he's had a positive impact since joining United. It's a close call whether to keep on a backup CF next season.
Provided we get Kane/Osimhen at a push Ramos/Vlahovic then yes I would keep

dove

Standard performance from him. Maguire up top would provide a bigger goal threat than WW.

Sylar

Thought he did ok first half when the ball came to his feet. I don't understand why we play him in the middle though especially a game like this.

el3mel

He literally starts every game and scored one goal, one goal !! Against Notingham, and yet we keep on playing with him, and even worse, some still convince themselves he's doing well.

Put this guy out of his misery already.

Djemba-Djemba

Said it before, as an emergency loan he's done fine. He is giving everything he has and fair play to him for that.

We would be fecking mental to get him on any kind of permanent deal.

You cannot have a striker or number 10 at Utd that has absolutely zero creative talent.

Jev

Surely there's a reason ETH subs him off after an hour every game. He must not be impressed either. Why does he keep starting him? How many indifferent performances before he gets benched?

Man-United

We are better to have an extra body in midfield than playing Wout. or even in defense.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Thinking about it as he was hooked when he was he's actually one that can hold his head high. As he does every game he linked the play well and christ who knows maybe it doesn't go as bad as it does if you still have his work rate in the team

Status
Not open for further replies.