5.0 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

ti vu

He probably thought it was an easy chance for him to grab a goal. In hindsight Garnacho was right to not pass it, not just because he managed to score, but also because Weghorst hasn't vaguely proven himself to be a competent striker.
It's still doubtful. Weghorst maybe unmarked, but his position doesn't give him better angle to score. He's further outwide.

Didn't see the game, just saw the highlights.

Did he genuinely not celebrate when Garnacho scored?

Useless lump and now a bitter one too?
He gave Garnacho a pat toward the end of the goal celebration, but did look disappointed about Garnacho not passing to him.

SAFMUTD

He probably thought it was an easy chance for him to grab a goal. In hindsight Garnacho was right to not pass it, not just because he managed to score, but also because Weghorst hasn't vaguely proven himself to be a competent striker.
Exactly I wouldn't fancy Weghorst to score in any situation besides an inside the box open net chance.

Jordan_mufc

You're talking about one cameo, and in that Martial on another shite day made an very important impact for the end result. On average counting all performances, cameo of both players, Martial would always come out better because Weghorst not only had bad performance, quite a few of his involvement come at the cost of tactical sacrifice of his teammates and hinder the whole team performance. You're talking as if Martial is bad at linking up play, whereas that is one of his strongest points, and overall he's naturally doing at high level.

Martial is never a pressing machine, but he actually was not as detrimental to the team even on this front. Martial may not need to run at full speed, being in the right position, doing the required pressing run had forced a mistake that created Antony's chance at 8th minute. Unless you really good at dispossessing opposition, pressing is still percentage, just because you look like running like mad man but have no speed, you're no probably better than Martial pressing in this situation. Plenty of Weghorst was just stats padding with majority of them being inefficient.

In Martial goal, he himself moved and dragged the defenders away. Craig Dawson were forced to stay farther to our left because Dawson had to keep check on Martial. Else, Dawson could have rushed to close down Bruno which in turn allowing the other CB to mark Antony tightly. Antony was free because the other CB had to close down Bruno who ran straight at goal. Bruno made the pass to Antony at the moment CB attempted to close him down centrally. Antony could have scored himself with that big of an opening. We can't trust Antony finishing of course. Martial scored when Antony decided to square the ball, didn't negate the off ball run that opening the space Antony!!!

Some people really scrape the bottom of barrel to find thing to raise Weghorst. That's the problem. It only backfires by inviting analysis into Weghorst. It's fine to slate Martial in his own thread for his overall performance, but when you start comparing, you would die on this Weghorst hill, because Weghorst contribution is so puny and he's clearly a worse player overall. Martial meh performance had enough impact to decide this game in our favor. A goal to give us a lead in our situation is plentyful impact.

Weghorst had a positive cameo. Good for him. It changed the game? No. We're winning this game anyways with Martial goal. We defended well enough. We created enough chances for another goal without Weghorst in this game. People made a big deal about one through ball, one lay off for Sancho chance as if it's usual good performance you can expect from Weghorst.

If you thought Weghorst run for Sancho chance is good, then nothing anyone can help you. Weghorst ran at channel near the ball carrier inside the box, which was a poaching run, not a support run. Weghorst himself pointed asking for a pass from Sancho into the space in front of him. Defenders were well in their positions and zone. It's all about Sancho skill for that chance. The correct support run is occupying the CB, or run to the other channel, so that CB was denied a chance to attempt a block.

The run for Garnacho also was not selfless, and making space for other either. It was a run to become available for a through ball. If anything, it just showed how much Bruno distrusts Weghorst. Bruno chose Garnacho who had a marker, over Weghorst who was free because Dawson was occupied by Bruno position himself. Even if Garnacho didn't score, it's no big deal, because it's doubtful Weghorst could have if he's the one to receive the through ball. He's too slow even with the opening. The attempt to ask Garnacho to give him as pass is pathetic. He may be free, but his position is bad, and nobody can trust him to finish from that angle when he messed up easier chances.
Tbh I'm not reading all of that. But from what I scanned it looks like you don't want to give him credit for anything he did.

ti vu

Tbh I'm not reading all of that. But from what I scanned it looks like you don't want to give him credit for anything he did.
Back at you with your assessment on Martial in your post that I quoted.
Poor level of analysis. I'm not one of the guys saying he pulled up trees, but he quite clearly improved our press and linked up well with Bruno. But hey, agree to disagree
It's quite rich to mentioning analysis level with your attitude of "don't read, don't care". If you don't read other people's post, expect people to see you as poor poster, not just having different opinion.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
His support run with Garnacho was hilarious. Garnacho central, one on one, and Weghorst very wide calling wildly for the pass.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Exactly holy hell. The pro wout crowd is so desperate they are latching on to his performance as some sort of motm performance. He had 1 nice pass and absolutely butchered his chance, per usual. Fred and garnacho were the reasons we secured it at the end
He had a couple of passes that opened up their defence, not just the one. Still more than the rest of the team managed apart from maybe one cross field ball from Maguire and he was only on for 20 minutes. Eriksen, Case and Fernandes all seem to have forgotten how to pass a ball and a lot of our build up play suffered because of it.

He didn't have a shit game and it's a shame some people are unable to accept that.

Sylar

He didn't have a shit game and it's a shame some people are unable to accept that.
I think people accept what he did, but think its not good enough, which is fair. I dont blame WW of course, hes been brought here from a championship team who didnt think he was good enough so sent him out on loan.
We essentially did get what we paid for.

Him not having a shit game is more so by his own standards. But the key moments of him having a chance to score (and not doing so) and the supporting run were actually shit.
What we need going into these last games are impact moments rather than anything else.
WW might have run more, and martial might not be good enough, but one thing martial did was change the game by getting into the position to be available for the 'tap in'.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I think people accept what he did, but think its not good enough, which is fair. I dont blame WW of course, hes been brought here from a championship team who didnt think he was good enough so sent him out on loan.
We essentially did get what we paid for.

Him not having a shit game is more so by his own standards. But the key moments of him having a chance to score (and not doing so) and the supporting run were actually shit.
What we need going into these last games are impact moments rather than anything else.
WW might have run more, and martial might not be good enough, but one thing martial did was change the game by getting into the position to be available for the 'tap in'.
For sure. I'm not saying he had a good game by any standards but this insistence that everything he ever does is shit just grates a little.

Nearly the end of the season, though. Only three games and the cup final to go before we can have a season to recharge/not complain every ten seconds like grumpy old bastards.

Red00012

Ighalo was a better signing

Don’t think I’ll be posting in this thread again

Tap

Nearly the end of the season, though. Only three games and the cup final to go before we can have a season to recharge/not complain every ten seconds like grumpy old bastards.
Same applies to others like Martial and Antony. They had their contributions but the constant criticisms of them from many are starting to grate too

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
He had 1 in 2 on average in Bundesliga. Shows you how shite that league is when it comes into defending.
Indeed. He’s a championship level striker. But he puts in a shift at least. There were worse options out there. His saving grace is his work rate, attitude and hold up/link up play, which isn’t great but it’s good enough. Plucky is how I would describe him. But he’ll be gone next season and I imagine will be remembered as a sort of anti-striker parody. If you could design a footballer to be the polar opposite of Eric Cantona in every way, it’d probably be pretty close to Wout Workhorse.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Did well yesterday. More of that till the end of the season (when he comes on) before sailing into the sunset undoubtedly as a club legend.

ti vu

He had a couple of passes that opened up their defence, not just the one. Still more than the rest of the team managed apart from maybe one cross field ball from Maguire and he was only on for 20 minutes. Eriksen, Case and Fernandes all seem to have forgotten how to pass a ball and a lot of our build up play suffered because of it.

For sure. I'm not saying he had a good game by any standards but this insistence that everything he ever does is shit just grates a little.

The post you quoted previously doesn't imply the bolded part. Actually that post made better point about Fred and Garnacho having bigger impact IMO.

Hair splitting time:
Weghorst only had one pass that really opened up Wolves defense which was through ball to Bruno. The lay off to Sancho is a bog standard pass, technical wise. It's a good decision. It really didn't open the defense. Sancho was in one v one situation with defender but it's Sancho himself who opened shooting angle with his cut in/dribbling than the pass itself. And Casemiro winning the loose ball to get it to Weghorst was difficult part of the sequence than Weghorst lay off too. This is the only on ball positive Weghorst had before Fred and Garnacho came on. Other than that it was just off ball pressing effort, which multiple occasion, his effort didn't stop Wolves ability to play. Like the crosses Wolves put in our box right before Fred came on, Weghorst pressed but Wolves could bypass him with accurate long ball.

His other completed pass out of 4 passes is a lay off for Garnacho (difficult one for Garnacho to control under pressure) who quickly lost the ball. This is immediately before Fred's effort that won the ball back and ended up with Weghorst through ball to Bruno (Antony chance).

Fred impact is clearer. Soon after he came one resulted in Casemiro chance. Weghorst final complete pass of the 4, was a lay off for Fred, who beat 4 men press to get the ball to Bruno, who got it out to Antony (Immediately after Casimero chance, it's Weghorst who messed up the Bruno cross from the corner.) Another occasion, Fred anticipated to get back possession and carried the ball for the counter which Garnacho gave Bruno a heavy pass. Another occasion, Fred dribbled past several players and got us a freekick in good position at the edge of Wolves box.

Bruno botched a few passes during this period, but he did made more defense splitting pass: the assist, and corner for Weghorst. That lay off for Antony chance too if we just want to count everything literally.

The issue in this thread most caused by some people who piled on Martial as if they can trade that goal for Weghorst little contribution going into final 20 minute. They ignored the context of having a goal lead. Martial is not even good, but he can get away because ultimately he is talented and can do what matter. Weghorst didn't have enough quality, so despite his effort, he still needs a lot of thing to go right around him for him to make proper contribution at this level. It would be a mistake to use this cameo to push for Weghorst to start the next game up front if Rashford still out because of the injured.

Last edited:

ti vu

Jaysus how on earth is that possible!? Small sample or a decent number of games?
There was a stats that if they only count the period Weghorst played in Bundesliga, his tally is only behind Lewandowski and Haaland. Weghorst had a decent consistency in Bundesliga. Not saying much though, because the height of his best season is not that great. Werner got 28 in Bundesliga once. Young Kai Havert and Sancho got high teen season too and both have been struggling to get double digit in PL.

Edit:

2018-2019

2019-2020

Note: Haaland reached that number with only half a season.

2020-2021

2021-2022

Note: Weghorst left for Burnley in January

Last edited:

tenpoless

Jaysus how on earth is that possible!? Small sample or a decent number of games?
It's for every game he played for Wolfsburg in Bundesliga.
118 played, 59 goals, 20 assists
171 min per goal
So that's exactly 2 goals per game (not counting assists) :lol:

Which is why I'm getting skeptical at Bellingham for the price tag. We've been burned so many times.. Kagawa, Mkhi, Sancho. All turned out to be not very productive at United whereas they were very productive in Bundesliga. Haaland is a special case since he was already making fun of top team's defense and breaking records in CL before joining Dortmund.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
I would rather see Elgana come off the bench and play striker. Wout is useless. Hell, I'd rather see Charlie McNeil given a shot. Neither of them could be any worse and it could help them develop...

NK86

Couldn’t be more obvious. If it went over your head then fair enough.
Seemed like an obvious petulant behavior than the "joke" you claim it is. His immediate reaction to Garnacho not passing to him was to look away once he put the ball in the back of the net.

Maybe it's an inside joke you are privy to, but to most others it seemed like he was not too happy.

stevoc

I don't count tap ins. And he nullified that goal by killing every promising move from that point onwards.
But Association Football plus the rest of us do. Martial put away a chance that Weghorst would have missed, that goal won us the game.

Wout looked a bit more energetic yesterday than he has done the last few months but other than that as usual he offered nothing.

stevoc

The worst fecking player I’ve seen at Utd for this many games.
Sadly yes I'd have to agree.

His greatest asset is that he has a human body that moves which can be used to fill one of the eleven slots on the field. He single-handedly ensures that the opponents don't have a numerical superiority over us i.e., at least mathematically.
Yep he's as good as any striker in world football at that.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Seemed like an obvious petulant behavior than the "joke" you claim it is. His immediate reaction to Garnacho not passing to him was to look away once he put the ball in the back of the net.

Maybe it's an inside joke you are privy to, but to most others it seemed like he was not too happy.
It wasn’t a joke. He’d seen his arse that a young kid didn’t pass to him.

Brophs

The One and Only

I’m guessing, but may be wrong, that you’re referring to him being visibly pissed off when Garnacho took the shot and @Pogue Mahone is referring to the way he hung back during the celebration but then seem to give him a sort of jokey looking reproachful look when about to give him a hug.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I’m guessing, but may be wrong, that you’re referring to him being visibly pissed off when Garnacho took the shot and @Pogue Mahone is referring to the way he hung back during the celebration but then seem to give him a sort of jokey looking reproachful look when about to give him a hug.
Yes. I’m talking about the celebration.

In the moment after the goal, if he was disappointed he wasn’t set up for a tap in then that’s understandable. His lack of goals has become a meme so he must be absolutely desperate to score and won’t often get a better chance. He was evidently over that disappointment in seconds though. Weird thing to have a go at him for.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He had no right to want the pass. Garnacho was in a much better position to finish. He’d have been better changing his run to take the defender away but to sulk over it at that point in the game is poor.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Yes. I’m talking about the celebration.

In the moment after the goal, if he was disappointed he wasn’t set up for a tap in then that’s understandable. His lack of goals has become a meme so he must be absolutely desperate to score and won’t often get a better chance. He was evidently over that disappointment in seconds though. Weird thing to have a go at him for.
:lol: Tap in…he was in a terrible position to have finished.

NK86

In that case, I definitely missed seeing him being part of the celebration on TV. I just got a view of his initial reaction as he was on the screen and he looked visibly miffed that he didn't get the ball. Might be a trivial thing but when you aren't really contributing meaningfully to the team, then these things start getting noticed more easily.

redcucumber

He had no right to want the pass. Garnacho was in a much better position to finish. He’d have been better changing his run to take the defender away but to sulk over it at that point in the game is poor.
Come on, players will always always 'want the pass' in that situation. It'd be extremely weird if a striker in particular didn't.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

I wouldn't say that it was a joke or that it was petulant. More that it was just momentary disappointment, which is understandable considering his situation where he's been getting massive amounts of criticism and hasn't scored yet in the PL. He would have seen that moment as a fantastic opportunity to get the monkey off his back, and considering it was so late in a match that we were winning anyway it wasn't like Garnacho's goal won us the match so wasn't celebrated that way. He still came into the celebration with the others afterwards and congratulated Garnacho. I really don't see it as a big deal.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
There's not a chance he scores if Garnacho passes to him at the end.
If Garnacho had wanted to he could have drawn the defender and keeper to one side and rolled it to Wout for a tap in that he couldn’t miss. And before any smart arses wade in, yes even Wout is good enough to score a tap in with an open goal.

Obviously Garnacho backed himself and good on him. But it’s not hard to see why Wout was disappointed he made that decision.

Djemba-Djemba

If Garnacho had wanted to he could have drawn the defender and keeper to one side and rolled it to Wout for a tap in that he couldn’t miss. And before any smart arses wade in, yes even Wout is good enough to score a tap in with an open goal.

Obviously Garnacho backed himself and good on him. But it’s not hard to see why Wout was disappointed he made that decision.
I just think the players ignore him and I'll be honest they're right to do so. I wouldn't fancy him to finish anything at this point. I'm not bothered about him being upset though, I think it's a perfectly normal reaction. It's not a sign of him being bitter or petulant or anything like that.

There'll be nobody more gutted at how bad he's been more than Weghorst himself.

The United

I just think the players ignore him and I'll be honest they're right to do so. I wouldn't fancy him to finish anything at this point. I'm not bothered about him being upset though, I think it's a perfectly normal reaction. It's not a sign of him being bitter or petulant or anything like that.

There'll be nobody more gutted at how bad he's been more than Weghorst himself.
I think this was not the first time he looked upset, disappointed, bothered, or whatever when someone else scored. Ronaldo does it all the time, and people call him a cnut for it. Wout probably has different reasons, such as not being able to score and becoming a meme instead of going for glory. But still I am not sure how good it is for the team's dressing room if it keeps happening. Fans already accuse him for not looking properly motivated when he started from the bench.

MadMike

Wout played better than Martial today. With or without a goal. That’s not a huge compliment (because Martial was shite) but that is what happened. Wout has been shite for so long that nobody is willing to judge a performance on its own merit but literally the only thing he did wrong today was miss that header. Otherwise he basically got everything he had to do right. Which is obviously not massive praise but it was clearly better than what Martial served up.
You’re stating an obvious personal opinion as fact, again.

Wout’s performance was much better than his usual, it was a good cameo overall, not shitting on him. But I really fail to see how it was better than Martial’s. Wout’s cameo ultimately didn’t have a big impact on the game, Martial’s goal basically won that game and Garnacho made sure of it. It might have been a simple tap in, but Martial put himself in a position for a tap in and finished it. And that is something that Wout has failed to do in 750 mins of EPL football, so it might not be so simple after all.

You guys are talking as if goals aren’t literally the number 1, 2 and 3 thing that this team is missing. We create chances but don’t finish them. And it’s not like we haven’t rated other players’ average performances (Rashford in so many games) highly, so long as they delivered the one thing we lacked the most: end product.

Status
Not open for further replies.