WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

Wal2Fra

Speaking relatively, why are the female USA team so much better than the men?

You'd expect both to be equally good/equally shit but the discrepancy is massive!
Happy to be corrected, but I would guess because Football is low down on the list of mens sports in the states because of NFL, Basketball, Baseball and Ice Hockey but seems very high in regards to the women priorities and possibily opportunities.

The American

Been ages since I've posted anything, but I feel it's apropos here.

Congrats ladies, deserved winners. Easily the team with the highest level of quality throughout the tournament.

Lotta hate in this thread...lol

Reactions: Carolina Red

starman

The rest of the world values football, we do not. Our best male athletes play American football, baseball and basketball.
Yes, because Spains tiki taka dominance could only be achieved through 300lbs type American football or 7ft basketball playing athletes.
The rest of the world take mens football seriously. They do not take womens football seriously, thats the difference, nothing to do with "the best athletes" play other sports

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
At least Rapinoe will not play another WC anymore, talks more about politics than about football. Maybe Morgan will play another with 34.

MsNuno

Supports
Wolves
What a great tournament and advert for women's football. Well done USA again, head and shoulders above everyone at the moment!

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I kinda disagree, I never really felt like England could beat the US. I felt like the Netherlands could squeeze by them before the penalty call.
Nah.. if not for their Gk, first half US could have 3 goals already. And on 2nd half another 3.

Against England, US needed tons of luck to come away with the win.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Thoroughly enjoyed that WC.

USA are definitely the level to reach for the rest of the teams.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The rest of the world values football, we do not. Our best male athletes play American football, baseball and basketball.
It's a girls' and childrens' sport in the US right
Also, arent most Baseball players fat?

Yes, I like making assumptions.

dogwithabone

Congratulations to the USA. And what a fantastic tournament that was! A really good advert for women’s football over 5 weeks.

Whatever floats your boat I guess.

I’m just thankful it’s over and done with. The standard is woeful and the product is ridiculously over hyped.

Grande

I mean, isn't the point of VAR exactly to decide games in a fair lvi way? I was getting tired of offside goals deciding games.
Without VAR, the ref would have called that, or even the lineswoman or goalside assistant. Fair enough. People who want VAR ... hold on, I’ll take this in another thread. Congrats to the USA with a deserved victory. Sari Veenendal player of the match for me, though. (And Jackie Groenen played well again, I thought.)

SATA

So does anyone really care about the US women team winning a world cup? I'm not putting the competiton though just to let it be known first

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
Yes, because Spains tiki taka dominance could only be achieved through 300lbs type American football or 7ft basketball playing athletes.
The rest of the world take mens football seriously. They do not take womens football seriously, thats the difference, nothing to do with "the best athletes" play other sports
What an obtuse comment. You think all NFL are 300lbs and NBA players are 7'? You think it doesn't matter that in Brazil, with a population of over 200M, football is by far the most popular sport and they continually churn out elite footballers? Don't be silly.

redshaw

England gave US a very good game and should've won or at least got to 2-2.

Dutch had one shot on target late on, their keeper is player of the match who kept the score down, faced 17 shots and 10 on target, French easily dispatched by the US. England went toe to toe and created great passing moves for goals, scored one, had another ruled offside by a fraction by VAR which would've stood before and one where White was clipped for the pen. England had 57% possession, 4 shots each on target.

I've not seen US tested except for England. Dutch couldn't even create anything when going down.

starman

What an obtuse comment. You think all NFL are 300lbs and NBA players are 7'? You think it doesn't matter that in Brazil, with a population of over 200M, football is by far the most popular sport and they continually churn out elite footballers? Don't be silly.
No it's silly suggesting the US is not the best at something because "their best athletes" play other sports. Pure arrogance.

Suedesi

England gave US a very good game and should've won or at least got to 2-2.

Dutch had one shot on target late on, their keeper is player of the match who kept the score down, faced 17 shots and 10 on target, French easily dispatched by the US. England went toe to toe and created great passing moves for goals, scored one, had another ruled offside by a fraction by VAR which would've stood before and one where White was clipped for the pen. England had 57% possession, 4 shots each on target.

I've not seen US tested except for England. Dutch couldn't even create anything when going down.
England could have easily been blown out of the water in the first 30 minutes. Could have easily been 2, 3 or more down. The Dutch were resilient and kept it tight.

Ainu

So does anyone really care about the US women team winning a world cup? I'm not putting the competiton though just to let it be known first
There are over a 100 pages in this thread. Over 10 million people watched the semifinal against England. What do you think?

Grande

On the other hand, if that penalty wasn't given and the Dutch won or whatever. The game would have been "decided" by an incorrect refereeing decision.
See my other answer her somewhere ... I should take it in the VAR thread. For this game: USA were the best team, and won fair, square and deservedly.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Don't the Dutch have a few world-class forwards in Miedema and Martens? They were really bad going forward.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
No it's silly suggesting the US is not the best at something because "their best athletes" play other sports. Pure arrogance.
Straw man. Nobody argued that. The question was why is the discrepancy so large between the men and women and you answered it with a completely ignorant post.

redshaw

England could have easily been blown out of the water in the first 30 minutes. Could have easily been 2, 3 or more down. The Dutch were resilient and kept it tight.
Ellen White scored a brilliantly worked goal, cut you open just 9 mins after US scored.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
After it became 2-0, yes. First half was pretty tight and US had a couple of half chances at best.
Even before the penalty, US had so many chances if not for their Gk. Also, Morgan should get a penalty when she was barged in from behind.

Man of Leisure

Threatened by women who like sex.
The question posed was "why is the US women's team so much better than the men's, relatively speaking?" Nobody said anything about who's the best. And the best male athletes in the US do play other sports. That's just a fact. Keep on drinking the hatorade though.

Suedesi

Ellen White scored a brilliantly worked goal, cut you open just 9 mins after US scored.
Completely out of the run of play and a bit lucky. Anyways, congrats to England on making fourth. Can't bother to argue with salty English fans right about now.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Genuinely weird to have people coming in the thread to post that the quality is bad and product is overhyped.