WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

padr81

Supports
Man City
Ref wouldn't even blow it up 2 seconds early. Feel for the Thai's as Sweden could well get double digits against them as well.

Wiltord02

Supports
Arsenal
The pundits going nuts over the incredible USA performance... The gulf between the two sides was ridiculous.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
I've never seen a game with such a big gulf between the two teams even in kids or sunday league. Could be over 20 easily had US buried their chances.
Should watch more women’s games, 20+ is relatively common in some leagues and tournaments (compared to what you expect)

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
After this game, I wonder whether it’s right to have 24 teams at the WWC. Maybe 16 would be OK? It’s just embarrassing and not a good advert for the game.
Aye, if you're getting 13-0 wins you have to ask if it's fair to the weaker teams to throw them to the wolves like that.

edcunited1878

People complain about the gluttony of goals, but you have to remember that a squad with this kind of depth has a healthy competitiveness and that any time on the pitch is an audition for consideration in future matches.

You don't take for granted any pitch time and make it count. Many of these players are also showcasing their skills to European clubs and are playing for a job after the world cup is over. It will not be as easy, but USA were resilient in their game plan.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Should watch more women’s games, 20+ is relatively common in some leagues and tournaments (compared to what you expect)
Fair enough I only really watch the world cups, CL and the WSL for City so I don't get to see too much of the weaker teams, I know United mullered someone 12-0 in the WSL2 this season and had a bunch of 5's but I didn't see the games, thought it would be more like Germany tonight giving out a hammering but taking all their chances, this was on a whole different level, the level of dominance. The US could probably have played without a keeper.

padr81

Supports
Man City
People complain about the gluttony of goals, but you have to remember that a squad with this kind of depth has a healthy competitiveness and that any time on the pitch is an audition for consideration in future matches.

You don't take for granted any pitch time and make it count. Many of these players are also showcasing their skills to European clubs and are playing for a job after the world cup is over. It will not be as easy, but USA were resilient in their game plan.
US 1000% did the right thing. A kind of similar debate popped up after the FA Cup final with people saying City should have eased off Watford out of respect, but as you say, people are playing for places, futures and lots more.

There is also the fact of professional courtesy, for me easing off would have been a real show of disrespect and insulting. This is a team at the WC you can't go easy on them.

Thirdly is also the likelihood Sweden could hit them for 10+ as well and US might come 2nd in the group if they didn't pound them to oblivion.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
The 13-0 scoreline is worse now because of the platform this WC is getting in the worlds media.

Not sure if anyone remembers the Confed Cup in 2013. Tahiti were in it playing against Spain, Uruguay and Nigeria. Got beaten 10-0, 8-0 and 6-1. They were just happy to be there but regardless the teams didn’t stop and were relentless. It’s more embarrassing for a side if a team feels sorry for you tbh.

RoyH1

I don’t think anyone is disputing that going easy on them would be even worse. They were just celebrating a bit too enthusiastically some of those second half goals in my opinion.

WensleyMU

If football consisted of regular 10+ goal thrashings it wouldnt be anywhere near as popular as it is.

Whether it's the male or female game.

Patchbeard

That Thailand keeper was fecking atrocious, especially in that spell at the start of the 2nd half. Some of the goals were right down the middle, she just didn't bother. Was like your mate at 5-aside who completely gives up when it's their turn in goal and you're a few goals down.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas
That Thailand keeper was fecking atrocious, especially in that spell at the start of the 2nd half. Some of the goals were right down the middle, she just didn't bother. Was like your mate at 5-aside who completely gives up when it's their turn in goal and you're a few goals down.
She definitely wasn't having a good Thaime. She may as well have been Thaid to the goal posts.

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
She’s just too short, that’s the problem. These goal dimensions are designed for men, no wonder so many women goalkeepers look out of their depth.

I just looked at the Thailand squad and they have Tiffany Sornpao, a goalkeeper who is 5’7 and plays in America. She would probably have been a better choice.

Patchbeard

She definitely wasn't having a good Thaime. She may as well have been Thaid to the goal posts.
:nono:

She’s just too short, that’s the problem. These goal dimensions are designed for men, no wonder so many women goalkeepers look out of their depth.

I just looked at the Thailand squad and they have Tiffany Sornpao, a goalkeeper who is 5’7 and plays in America. She would probably have been a better choice.
The goals should be smaller yes but I think the 5th and 6th goals were literally straight at her. Those 6 minutes when USA scored 4 goals just after the break were just ridiculous. Every attack just felt like they had to get a shot on target and the keeper would let it in. The ones near the end she had no chance to be fair, some really great finishes there.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...

Interesting point there. Do the women play on the same pitch dimensions as men?

SharpshooterTom

The problem with the womens game at the moment is that there is only a handful of decent sides in it and the development we've seen in the womens game hasn't spread to a lot of the world and so there is a lot of catching up to do.

I haven't seen any of the WWC yet, and I think I'm only going to start watching from semi's onwards, I suspected there would be a lot of drubbings early on.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
I've just been looking at Thailand's recent history. They've lost 12 of their last 13 games, basically the games they've played to build up for the World cup, so this is far from a surprise. That said, in 2018 they beat Cambodia 11-0, Timor 8-0, and Indonesia 13-0 (in a friendly :smirk:) - so, it's fair to say that they wouldn't have shown much mercy if the roles had been reversed

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Another thing i'd like to add is that despite the obvious gulf in class between the two sides Thailand qualified legitimately for the tournament. They will also receive the prize money for being in the group stage which hopefully the Thai FA will reinvest in the women's game. They are currently a part time outfit and this is only their second world cup.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Whether you press on or ease off is beside the point I guess, but it felt really weird how enthusiastically the US players celebrated some of their goals. I remember Ronaldo getting ridiculed for his celebration of a 4-1 in a CL final (and not undeservedly so imho) and then you watch this game and they celebrate the 10+th goal like they just decided the WC final. I'm not even sure if it's bad or not, it was just weird to me, not being used to the women's game.

And how on earth do you end up with such a goal keeper? Even de Gea or Neuer couldn't save a decently placed shot with that height and no reflexes at all.

Last edited:

Infordin

Supports
Barcelona
On another note, those over the top celebrations from
the American women on the 10th-13th goals :lol: :lol: :lol:

That reminds me of when Michael Owen celebrated scoring a penalty on a 13 year old goalkeeper.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Only paid passing attention to the tournament thus far, but I'd imagine the disparity between Thailand and the US perhaps comes from the former qualifying in a region where the quality of women's football may (guessing here) generally be of a lesser standard than in more developed countries, where open women's participation in top level sports isn't seen as something to be restricted or hindered at all? Obviously that result is a bit embarrassing for the tournament, but looking through the scores it's the first genuine humiliation there's been results wise.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Only paid passing attention to the tournament thus far, but I'd imagine the disparity between Thailand and the US perhaps comes from the former qualifying in a region where the quality of women's football may (guessing here) generally be of a lesser standard than in more developed countries, where open women's participation in top level sports isn't seen as something to be restricted or hindered at all? Obviously that result is a bit embarrassing for the tournament, but looking through the scores it's the first genuine humiliation there's been results wise.
They lost 4-0 to China, but won 6-1 against Jordan, then 3-1 against the Philippines which was enough to get them to the semi final and qualify. In the semi final they drew 2-2 with Austrailia but lost on penalties.Then they lost 3-1 to China in the 3rd place playoff to finish 4th.

12th June : matchday 2 games begin

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
After yesterday's favourites v minnows, we've got a couple of closer looking matches today as the second sequence of matches begin.

A: Nigeria v South Korea 2pm - BBC red button
B: Germany v Spain 5pm - BBC red button
A: France v Norway 8pm - BBC Four

Nigeria and South Korea have no points so far. The others won their opening matches and if they win again today they'll know they've qualified for the R16.

Patchbeard

They lost 4-0 to China, but won 6-1 against Jordan, then 3-1 against the Philippines which was enough to get them to the semi final and qualify. In the semi final they drew 2-2 with Austrailia but lost on penalties.Then they lost 3-1 to China in the 3rd place playoff to finish 4th.
Will be interesting to see just how good the US really are, as those recent Thai results against Australia and China would not suggest thst they would get thumped 13-0!

I know I missed the first half and by the sounds of it they weren't clinical then, but 2nd half they looked like Man City in the final third, stretching the play, players going inside and out, so many cutbacks, through balls, some great dribbling, and finishing. Was just a level of quality I had never seen before in the womens game. And when they lost possession they hounded Thailand and were back on the ball within seconds. Maybe they've got some of Pep's juice.

Needham

People having a go at the Americans for still celebrating the 10th, 11th goals etc are so sexist. Everyone knows girls are just more giddy and emotional, leave them alone.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
The massive dance of at the US' bench after the 13-0 was a bit embarrassing to me. Good on you, you beat a team that looked like it had never seen a football pitch before. Curb your fecking enthusiasm.

They should make the tournament a bit smaller I think. Just invite the best 12 countries until others actually start developing women's football, because a match like this, while fun in a trololo kind of way for the USA is just silly.

Grande

Two hopefully tight games today, although France and Germany obviously will be odds favourites. But Caroline Graham Hansen and Guro Reiten will put the France backline to the test if they get some space, and Maren Mjelde/Maria Thorisdottir is a good CB duo.

It will also be interesting to see if Spain’s steadily progressing tiki-taka women can punish Germany better than China could.

Grande

Yeah. That does undermine my theory. Would be curious to know how the save % of female keepers compares with men. The gulf between them does seem a lot bigger than it is between outfield players.
Not necessarily disagreeing there, but I’d like to raise to attention Lee Alexander’s brilliant display in the Scotland - England derby, just for balance!

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Fancy Spain to get something today. Germany missing Marozsan who’s probably their best player. Played each other back in November and finished 0-0. Spain were missing Hermoso though + a couple others.