WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Neville really hates Leah Williamson.

She was one of the best CBs last season in the PL, now she can't even get a minute in the group stage.

montpelier

That isn't better entertainment than the pen being (lets say) wrongly not awarded.

I'm just not convinced it's worth it.

There is even a suspicion she got a foot on the ball - the VAR angle says it was barely a scrape if anything. From another angle however, we have seen that look totally different.

And letter of the law is rough on the GKs

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Thing is too, Scotland’s sub was hardly on the pitch and the free kick in the lead up to the penalty was taken, so Scotland were down to 10 players making a legal sub, and the referee allowed the ball to be taken? I was sitting watching thinking surely that needs to be re-taken?

Incredible end to the game.

montpelier

Thing is too, Scotland’s sub was hardly on the pitch and the free kick in the lead up to the penalty was taken, so Scotland were down to 10 players making a legal sub, and the referee allowed the ball to be taken? I was sitting watching thinking surely that needs to be re-taken?

Incredible end to the game.
Yeah, someone mentioned an alleged offside as well.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Goalies have always had to stay on their lines for pens. What's the change? I just did a quick Google and could not find anything.
Yeah I remember when Pickford made that famous save in the WC he had one foot on the line when the ball was kicked and then jumped forward .

I think the point was that without VAR it was impossible for the refs to judge close calls perfectly and so the rule was applied more in spirit and not to the letter . Now they are using 50 video angles to see if the foot was an inch over the line

DavidDeSchmikes

Agree. In the men's game/PL, they're 2-3 yards off their line? If they can't move and noting most penalty takers ability to place a penalty, I don't see a goalie saving any penalty put in the corner of they can't get any momentum.

Trying to think of a.way around it. Apart from standing behind the line, the only thing I can think is if the ref/VAR says it's a foul in the box, just give a goal?
Happened at last year's World Cup (Schmeichal against Croatia, Pickford against Colombia etc.). Look at Dean Henderson yesterday. Are PL referee honestly going to consistently penalize PL goalies next season if they move off their line by a millimetre?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The change is VAR checking that they've got one foot on or above the line, so it's not so much a rule change, as it is something being far more heavily and noticeably enforced than it was before.
Ah, that makes sense.

I did just do a search and found the following history of penalty rules:

In 1892, the player taking the penalty-kick was forbidden to kick the ball again before the ball had touched another player. A provision was also added that "f necessary, time of play shall be extended to admit of the penalty kick being taken".
In 1896, the ball was required to be kicked forward, and the requirement for an appeal was removed.
In 1902, the penalty area was introduced with its current dimensions (a rectangle extending 18 yards from the goal-posts). The penalty spot was also introduced, 12 yards from the goal. All other players were required to be outside the penalty area.
In 1905, the goal-keeper was required to remain on the goal-line.
In 1923, all other players were required to be at least 10 yards from the penalty-spot (in addition to being outside the penalty-area).
In 1930, a footnote was appended to the laws, stating that "the goal-keeper must not move his feet until the penalty kick has been taken".[29]
In 1937, an arc (colloquially known as the "D") was added to the pitch markings, to assist in the enforcement of the 10-yard restriction.[30] The goal-keeper was required to stand between the goal-posts.[31]
In 1995, all other players were required to remain behind the penalty spot. The Scottish Football Association claimed that this new provision would "eliminate various problems which have arisen regarding the position of players who stand in front of the penalty-mark at the taking of a penalty-kick as is presently permitted".
In 1997, the goal-keeper was once again allowed to move the feet, and was also required to face the kicker.

So prior to 1905, the goalie could stand anywhere!

duffer

Scout
Happened at last year's World Cup (Schmeichal against Croatia, Pickford against Colombia etc.). Look at Dean Henderson yesterday. Are PL referee honestly going to consistently penalize PL goalies next season if they move off their line by a millimetre?
They might for a couple of weeks but the goalies will soon stop cheating.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

Just watch this and justify how they can retake the penalty . Absolute utter madness

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Goalies have always had to stay on their lines for pens. What's the change? I just did a quick Google and could not find anything.
It's a clarification and enforcement change. One foot on or above, and you can't stand behind the line. It's more about VAR really.

Without VAR, I don't think refs could tell where exactly the keeper is as the ball gets struck, too tight to call - unless the keeper actually moved forward during the run-up. These keepers are getting picked up on the move onto the jumping foot more or less at the same time as the attacker hits the penalty.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
It's a clarification and enforcement change. One foot on or above, and you can't stand behind the line. It's more about VAR really.

Without VAR, I don't think refs could tell where exactly the keeper is as the ball gets struck, too tight to call - unless the keeper actually moved forward during the run-up. These keepers are getting picked up on the move onto the jumping foot more or less at the same time as the attacker hits the penalty.
It's really the linesperson job to flag as they're obviously on the goalline to spot it more easily.

I'd say encroachment into the area before ball is struck is bigger problem and that rarely gets called.

Reddy Rederson

Nothing ruins a game of football more than an atrocious referee. Supposed to be the top level officiating, not some women running around without a clue whats going on.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Feck VAR anyway.

Did anyone spot the even more baffling referee’s decision in the Eng-Jap game? The ball hit the ref and she immediately blew the whistle, then played a drop ball. WTF?
New rule, if ball hits ref and goes to other teams it’s a drop ball.

montpelier

New rule, if ball hits ref and goes to other teams it’s a drop ball.
This is just daft.

What's particularly less unfair about thwacking your rubbish shot against the referee but scoring from the rebound. Than a rebound sending the opposition forward running clear.

Presumably it's to avoid 'silly stuff' happening.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Pens should only be retaken if the defending team runs inside the box before the pen taker takes his shot. Otherwise, football is fecking dead when it comes to pens for me

duffer

Scout
Whaaaaat? Is that right?! When did that rule come in?
It's new this month!

https://www.the-ra.org/news/ifab-law-changes-2019-2020

Dropped ball - Laws 8 & 9
Changes
  • If play is stopped inside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for the goalkeeper
  • If play is stopped outside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the point of the last touch
  • In all cases, all the other players (of both teams) must be at least 4m (4.5yds) away
  • If the ball touches the referee (or another match official) and goes into the goal, team possession changes or a promising attack starts, a dropped ball is awarded

EDIT: Actually, that only mentions if the ball goes into the net, not any touch.

feck knows then.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Whaaaaat? Is that right?! When did that rule come in?
1st June I believe. Along with subs going off nearest line, new handball rules etc.
This is just daft.

What's particularly less unfair about thwacking your rubbish shot against the referee but scoring from the rebound. Than a rebound sending the opposition forward running clear.

Yeah that’s the reasoning. Just to avoid any unfair advantage. Referee scored in Holland recently and the goal had to stand.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's new this month!

Changes
  • If play is stopped inside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for the goalkeeper
  • If play is stopped outside the penalty area, the ball will be dropped for one player of the team that last touched the ball at the point of the last touch
  • In all cases, all the other players (of both teams) must be at least 4m (4.5yds) away
  • If the ball touches the referee (or another match official) and goes into the goal, team possession changes or a promising attack starts, a dropped ball is awarded
Jaysus. So much fecking around with rules in such a short space of time! So that’s the end of contested drop balls? They’ll be missed in Sunday league. Always fun watching two lads use it as an opportunity to kick feck out of each other.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
This is just daft.

It's the sort of rule you expect to be introduced after something really high-profile happening and costing a team something major, but literally nothing is springing to mind of that nature so I can only presume they printed off a "new rules" form and had a spare box to fill when they were done.

kouroux

It's new this month!

Changes

EDIT: Actually, that only mentions if the ball goes into the net, not any touch.

feck knows then.
Explain to me what "a promising attack starts" means please

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It's new this month!

Changes

feck knows then.
Re EDIT. In the incident in Eng-Jap possession changes after the ball touched the ref.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
It's the sort of rule you expect to be introduced after something really high-profile happening and costing a team something major, but literally nothing is springing to mind of that nature so I can only presume they printed off a "new rules" form and had a spare box to fill when they were done.
Referee scored in Holland last month. Went viral, assume it was in relation to that.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
I have absolutely no doubt that the morons who make these new laws have never played football in their lives
Same with the bullshit handball rules. Made by a bunch of fat men in suits who haven't set foot on a pitch in decades.

All the players will call it out as total shit, but that won't mean anything.

kouroux

Same with the bullshit handball rules. Made by a bunch of fat men in suits who haven't set foot on a pitch in decades.

All the players will call it out as total shit, but that won't mean anything.
Yup, incredibly tough rule on defenders. We benefited big time from it vs PSG but I never doubted it was a fecked up change.