WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

roseguy64

Same thread for the knockouts? Would think making a new thread for all the knockouts would be better for easier reading.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Same thread for the knockouts? Would think making a new thread for all the knockouts would be better for easier reading.
I don't mind - I updated this thread on a, "if it's not broke don't fix it" basis. If people think it would be better split, I can do that. Easiest to do it now, before the knockouts are underway.

Any opinions?

Reddy Rederson

The farce goes on.
http://theifab.com/news/temporary-d...enalty-mark-at-the-fifa-womens-world-cup-2019

Keepers won't be booked for coming off their line in a pen shootout now, but will be for doing it in normal time. Whilst it is the right decision, the entire thing just shows that IFAB haven't actually considered the logistics of their rule in the first place and obviously haven't trialled it. To trial it at a World Cup is ludicrious.
Changing the rules mid tournament :rolleyes:. How much to overnight a clue to the people running the world cup?

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
The farce goes on.
http://theifab.com/news/temporary-d...enalty-mark-at-the-fifa-womens-world-cup-2019

Keepers won't be booked for coming off their line in a pen shootout now, but will be for doing it in normal time. Whilst it is the right decision, the entire thing just shows that IFAB haven't actually considered the logistics of their rule in the first place and obviously haven't trialled it. To trial it at a World Cup is ludicrious.

@Edgar Allan Pillow are you running the Women's World Cup?

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The farce goes on.

Totally agree.

This new interpretation of handball is really open to abuse as well, I said to my dad last night that imagine next season seeing Daniel James speeding down the wing, instead of whipping a ball in he could just aim at any defensive outstretched arm in the box.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Totally agree.

This new interpretation of handball is really open to abuse as well, I said to my dad last night that imagine next season seeing Daniel James speeding down the wing, instead of whipping a ball in he could just aim at any defensive outstretched arm in the box.
Seen it suggested that Mane aimed for Sissoko's arm in the CL final.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
It wouldn’t surprise me at all, but there’s no way to know for sure, only Mane would know. But I know that if I decide to continue playing next season I will be telling my defenders to keep their hands down at all times.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
An hour to go before the knockouts start, I fancy a Germany win but I can’t call the Norway v Australia game, possible penalties?

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
2 VAR calls in 5 minutes. This constant stopping makes me fear for the Premier this year.
I agree. I disagree with the first decision I think the player in front of the keeper was restricting the keepers vision so she had to be offside. The second decision I agree with though, clear foul.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
I’m ok with VAR when they get it right. It kills the flow of the game but it’s more important to get the calls correct. Footy is generally a low scoring game so the big decisions can be game changers.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Also guys heads up, it seems BBC have changed their minds and the Norway V Australia game is on BBC 2 tonight as well as the usual places.

@jojojo don’t know if you want to update the schedule post mate?

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
After social media comments after the final, I watched it again (on tape). Can't be 100% obviously but I'd say he meant it... seems to look up, then quickly kick. Don't think he'd have aimed where he did if meant to be a cross... he's a very good player and I think he'd have missed his arm if he'd wanted to.

Clever I guess? Effectively won the cup (or a huge influence at least) as game changed from expected after three minutes. Liverpool sat patiently.

Can see it happening in PL at some point (or plenty of attempts at least).

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
No kidding. The guys at nbc soccer did a good interpretation of the old rule last year where a defender went to the ground in the area and used his arm & hand to support his body as he fell (as you would). The ball was kicked at him hitting his supporting arm. Ball to hand. No peno.
Would that be a peno now?

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
No kidding. The guys at nbc soccer did a good interpretation of the old rule last year where a defender went to the ground in the area and used his arm & hand to support his body as he fell (as you would). The ball was kicked at him hitting his supporting arm. Ball to hand. No peno.
Would that be a peno now?
I believe so yes, but I’m not 100% sure. @Spiersey do you have any idea on this mate?

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Australia should have been 1 up inside 30 seconds, Kerr didn’t everything right until the shot which she dragged wide.

montpelier

you get a penalty & then you have it taken away because of an inconclusive tv clip

brilliant - :lol: :lol:

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Some of the passes and touches have been awful. Thankfully there’s enough tension and moments of quality to overlook it.
Maybe it’s nerves.