WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

GlastonSpur

Also disliked on an Aston Villa forum
Supports
Spurs
The standard of women's football has increased hugely. It's also refreshing to see how, compared to the men's game, so few fouls are committed or how much less players go down so easily.

If I was an investor with lots of money, I'd be investing big-time in women's football. It's going to get a lot bigger.

Grande

Brilliant penos by Norway.
Overall they were the better team.
Congrats resident Noggies!
Thank you!!

Too nervous to write anything during the game. Watvhing with my daughter, and we were holding hands for 120 mins + pens. Nervewracking, but ... yessss!!!

To be fair, Australia were as good a team on the night, both teams had their periods of initiative and chances. Sævik and Herlovsen made a brilliant goal, but the best player of the game, Maria Thorisdatter of Chelsea, was lucky when VAR saved her from a correct penalty. Australia’s goal were of the cheap sort, as well as their red card. Caroline Graham Hansen’s curled shot hit the post and rolled along the line, and we thought ‘it’s that kind of night’. But when Graham Hansen scored, Kerr missed, and Hjelmseth made a brilliant save, exhilaration was creeping into the living room, and the symbolic perfection was that Syrstad Engen, who missed the ball for the equalizer, put an ice cool nail in the Aussie coffin.

I hate penalties, except when we win.

(VAR, I hate regardless.)

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Thank you!!

Too nervous to write anything during the game. Watvhing with my daughter, and we were holding hands for 120 mins + pens. Nervewracking, but ... yessss!!!

To be fair, Australia were as good a team on the night, both teams had their periods of initiative and chances. Sævik and Herlovsen made a brilliant goal, but the best player of the game, Maria Thorisdatter of Chelsea, was lucky when VAR saved her from a correct penalty. Australia’s goal were of the cheap sort, as well as their red card. Caroline Graham Hansen’s curled shot hit the post and rolled along the line, and we thought ‘it’s that kind of night’. But when Graham Hansen scored, Kerr missed, and Hjelmseth made a brilliant save, exhilaration was creeping into the living room, and the symbolic perfection was that Syrstad Engen, who missed the ball for the equalizer, put an ice cool nail in the Aussie coffin.

I hate penalties, except when we win.

(VAR, I hate regardless.)
Congratulations mate, pleased for you. Just a shame it’s going to have to come to an end in the quarter finals :D

Grande

Congratulations mate, pleased for you. Just a shame it’s going to have to come to an end in the
quarter finals :D
I had you figured for a Scot, somehow. But you’re acrually from Cameroun? ;)

For us Noggies, being ditched by the Worlds best player, it’s a tremendous joy to see team spirit lift the team to knocking out another one of the Worlds best players.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I had you figured for a Scot, somehow. But you’re acrually from Cameroun? ;)

For us Noggies, being ditched by the Worlds best player, it’s a tremendous joy to see team spirit lift the team to knocking out another one of the Worlds best players.
In terms of the uk I couldn’t live anywhere further from Scotland if I tried :lol:

I did want them to qualify though because I’m terms of women’s football growing I think the better the home nations do the better.

As for the quarters, I’m not even going to think about it until we hopefully beat Cameroon. I’m not one to get too ahead of myself, we all know what complacency can do.

Grande

In terms of the uk I couldn’t live anywhere further from Scotland if I tried :lol:

I did want them to qualify though because I’m terms of women’s football growing I think the better the home nations do the better.

As for the quarters, I’m not even going to think about it until we hopefully beat Cameroon. I’m not one to get too ahead of myself, we all know what complacency can do.
We all remember Roger Milla, but I’d be more concerned what Onguene and Ajara can do. I normally cheer for England, but I’ve had a soft spot for Cameroun since 1982.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
We all remember Roger Milla, but I’d be more concerned what Onguene and Ajara can do. I normally cheer for England, but I’ve had a soft spot for Cameroun since 1982.
How do you think the extra 30 minutes will affect your girls after tonight?

hocane

The standard of women's football has increased hugely. It's also refreshing to see how, compared to the men's game, so few fouls are committed or how much less players go down so easily.

If I was an investor with lots of money, I'd be investing big-time in women's football. It's going to get a lot bigger.
We need to stop saying this after every World Cup.

World Cups always draws alot of attention but then when the league starts it's back to 300-400 attendances.

Grande

How do you think the extra 30 minutes will affect your girls after tonight?
Hard to say. They seemed to have more fuel on the reserve tank than Australia towards the end of the second half, even if Australia went down to ten about then. In extra time they controlled the ball well and I don’t think they had to exert themselves too extremely. Though it will have cost, obviously.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
No kidding. The guys at nbc soccer did a good interpretation of the old rule last year where a defender went to the ground in the area and used his arm & hand to support his body as he fell (as you would). The ball was kicked at him hitting his supporting arm. Ball to hand. No peno.
Would that be a peno now?
The current training/interpretation adds in the idea of "taking a risk" as a factor. If you go into a sliding tackle/block and the ball hits you arm - you're unlucky but it's handball. Same premise as "but I had my back turned" etc. The principle being why should the attacker get penalised for the defender being lucky and the ball hitting his arm. It's why thinking of it in terms of the silhouette line rather than deliberate/accidental works better.

Long video, but a useful one.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I can’t wait for our game to kick off, I want to see a nice assured performance and a win of course. 2-0 England I’ll go for.

Rolandofgilead

Scout
Supports
Weymouth
England start with:
Bardsley, Bronze, Houghton, Bright, Greenwood; Walsh, Scott; Parris, Kirby, Duggan; White
Walsh can count herself very lucky to be starting, Duggan can count herself very lucky to be in the squad let alone starting

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham
We need to stop saying this after every World Cup.

World Cups always draws alot of attention but then when the league starts it's back to 300-400 attendances.
Yeah, this. These kind of events draw the crowds but most football fans have zero interest in women's football and that's unlikely to change. Whilst there have been huge strides made even the top level of women's football isn't an equivalent to league 1/league 2, so we're a long way from it being super profitable.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Walsh can count herself very lucky to be starting, Duggan can count herself very lucky to be in the squad let alone starting
Even Kirby is in there because of how well she can play, rather than how well she is playing. We've got a few players who can make a difference, if they hit their best form. Everyone else is on the bench, so they're on tap for later.

Those penalty kick bookings for keepers have made me think though - I reckon managers will need to sub a keeper who gets booked for anything, it's way too easy for them to pick up a second yellow if there's a penalty later - I reckon they'd just have to stand there and let the ball go in :smirk:

DeGea

I am quite looking forward funnily enough to this match. A good distraction for a summer that is otherwise pretty dire for United fans!