WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

starman

Women football has improved massively since I first saw a game around 15 years ago, but one thing that hasn't is the goal keeping, its still terrible and I see some others have mentioned it, but its partly down to the goalsizes in comparison to the keepers.

I know there will be a massive uproar if there was a suggestion to reduce them but as a spectacle to grow interest and entertainment value its something that seriously should be considered.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Women football has improved massively since I first saw a game around 15 years ago, but one thing that hasn't is the goal keeping, its still terrible and I see some others have mentioned it, but its partly down to the goalsizes in comparison to the keepers.

I know there will be a massive uproar if there was a suggestion to reduce them but as a spectacle to grow interest and entertainment value its something that seriously should be considered.
To be fair, you can't really base too much stock on 4 games of a major tournament when you have seen at least 4 very unfavoured teams. I thought the Norwegian keepers handling was excellent tonight.

Sunday 9th - including Scotland v England

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Sunday 9 June
C: Australia vs Italy - 12 - BBC red button
C: Brazil vs Jamaica - 2:30 - BBC red button
D: England vs Scotland - 5pm - BBC One

A big day this, and some games that might turn out to be really competitive matches.

Australia are amongst the top teams, but Italy are a decent team and improving as more players go pro. Sam Kerr is the biggest name in this of course - because of season calendars she plays in the Australian W League and the US NWSL and is a top scorer in both.

Ok, Jamaica could/should get thrashed. But Brazil have been poor for a while now. This could turn out to be a lot closer contest than 10th v 53rd sounds. Or not.

England v Scotland should be a real scrap. There will almost certainly be some United players out there (up to 5 according to latest transfer chat!). A win here will pretty much guarantee qualification (sorry, Argentina). A draw will make winning the group very hard. We shall see.

Andersons Dietician

O Flower of Scotland,
When will we see
Your like again,
That fought and died for,
Your wee bit Hill and Glen,
And stood against him,
Proud Edward's Army,
And sent him homeward,
To think again.

It’s on, oh it’s on but I still can’t understand how we haven’t taken Hanson. The Scotland team must be packed with talent although that Christie Murray that plays for pool, Magician.

@Casanova85 the disrespect :lol::lol:

I’d imagine this game is going to have a bit of bite about it and given some of the challenges that went in through out Uniteds league campaign I might end up watching it from behind my couch. Seriously if you’ve never watched the woman’s game Vinny Jones and Fashanu would approve of the tackles. Most the United team clearly went to the Paul Scholes school of tackling.

The best thing is most just shake it off and keep going.

Last edited:

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Should definitely get the benefit of the doubt there. VAR is in danger of over scrutinising. She was level bar maybe 0.00001cm of her shoulder. No wonder it took them half an hour to make the decision

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I agree. Remember when the rule was there had to be daylight between attacker and last defender for offside to be called. Much better rule.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Should definitely get the benefit of the doubt there. VAR is in danger of over scrutinising. She was level bar maybe 0.00001cm of her shoulder. No wonder it took them half an hour to make the decision
I wondered if the VAR decision was "no obvious error" - and them reverting to the assistant's decision instead. If they really tried to call it on that single shot I think it's a misuse/overuse of the technology. The player is on the move and the crucial element is exactly when did the ball get played which is very hard to call. It would be interesting to know what they'd have ruled if the assistant hadn't raised her flag.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Italy have been able to get in behind Australia's defence easily at times in this match.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
Italy will cursing the offside flag if they don't win this. No doubt about this one though.

ninjaskill

Italy are offside every attack, got to time their runs better. Although if they can beat the line once they could make Australia pay.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
8 goals conceded by the Australia in their 3 away games under Ante Milicic. The FFA will be fearful of the postmortem if the Matildas exit the tournament at the group stage.

starman

To be fair, you can't really base too much stock on 4 games of a major tournament when you have seen at least 4 very unfavoured teams. I thought the Norwegian keepers handling was excellent tonight.
I've watch games sporadically this year, goalkeeping is always the weakest part of the pitch

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
I've been flipping between this, the England match, and the Nadal/Thiem final.

So from what snippets I've seen - a good headed goal for Brazil leaves them 1-0 up at halftime.

Both keepers have had saves to make though - and Jamaica's has made a couple of good stops, including one from a penalty. Brazil still have work to do in the second half.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
England: Bardsley, Bronze, Houghton, Bright, Greenwood, Scott, Walsh, Parris, Kirby, Mead, White.
Vs
Scotland: Alexander, Howard, Corsie, Beattie, Docherty, Evans, Little, Weir, Emslie, Murray, Cuthbert.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
How have the games been today? I work nights so had to sacrifice the first two games, but serious stuff now, come on England!