WWC19 | Final: USA v Netherlands

Andersons Dietician

Kinda crazy that there are good players on both teams playing well and yet I don’t really see any that are as good as Lauren James with the ball. Maybe she does lack a bit of desire and the in game experience but feel like if you threw her in to this she would raise her level even more so.

@jojojo Do you know who that Scotland RW plays for? Emslie? She has been good. Maybe explains a little why Hanson wasn’t selected.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
Scotland too slow in the build up. The have decent forwards but too much faffing

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
Kinda crazy that there are good players on both teams playing well and yet I don’t really see any that are as good as Lauren James with the ball. Maybe she does lack a bit of desire and the in game experience but feel like if you threw her in to this she would raise her level even more so.

@jojojo Do you know who that Scotland RW plays for? Emslie? She has been good. Maybe explains a little why Hanson wasn’t selected.
She plays for Orlando Pride.

bdecuc

Agree. James looks as good or better technically as anyone out there. Such a good footballer. She looks like she’d struggle physically though. Hope she sorts that out.

roseguy64

Brazil dominant this half, 3-0 up now and it would be more if Jamaica's keeper wasn't playing so well. I admit though, I'd like Jamaica to score, the crowd want it, the players deserve it.
Just not enough quality in the box to work enough opportunities.

Schneider did well in goal though to keep it to 3 goals. Should earn her a pro contract if she decides to quit university.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
8 goals conceded by the Australia in their 3 away games under Ante Milicic. The FFA will be fearful of the postmortem if the Matildas exit the tournament at the group stage.
I still expect them to get results against Brazil and Jamaica though, so I don't see much danger of them going out. Though that win from Italy means the top of the group is anyone's guess.

I'm tempted to give them the excuse of being (well) out of season, but I know some of the team play the US season as well. Anyone know how many only do the Oz season?

Grande

England survive, but Scotland had that second half. Decent match.
United watch:
Alex Greenwood - Steady performance, a bit contained attacking, maybe to balance Bronze and to contain Emslie, which she did pretty well. Some good corners. 7
Kirsty Smith (45 mins) - Had Parris and Bronze to deal with, and improved the Scittish defence after coming on. Reluctant some times, but mostly levelheaded and quite bold. Important attacking outlet. 7
Abbie McManus - (45 mins) calm with the ball, good positioning, a bit slow to anticipate the goal? Not tested too much. 6
Lizzie Arnot (approx 10 mins) - Almost never received the ball, in spite of moving about quite alot. Hard to rate.

I think Kirsty Smith really did enough that she should start the next game.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
@jojojo just noticed you have put the schedule for Friday around the wrong way. Jamaica v Italy kicks off at 5, we play Argentina at 8. Just thought I’d let you know.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
@jojojo just noticed you have put the schedule for Friday around the wrong way. Jamaica v Italy kicks off at 5, we play Argentina at 8. Just thought I’d let you know.
Again! I did that with yesterday's as well. When copy/paste attacks :lol:

Thanks for letting me know. If anyone else spots an error, please let me know. I'll update the schedule post.

10th June

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Today's matches:
D: Japan v Argentina 5pm - BBC2
E: Canada vs Cameroon 8pm - BBC red button

Favourites v minnows day again today.

Japan have lots of young players, it's a team that's being prepared for the Tokyo Olympics, but is it ready now?

Cameroon are the "indomitable lionesses" and are likely to be better prepared for this tournament than their ranking suggests - but I can't see this as anything other than a Canada win.

Grande

Canada are ranked 5th in the world, Japan 7th, so are clear favorites for this against Argentina (37) and Cameroun (46).

Argentina has been struggling with a bankrupt football federation, but Esfania Banini at Levante is one to watch.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Looks like a decent crowd for Japan/Argentina in Paris - not packed as it was for France, but not bad.

I think the England/Scotland game had one of the poorer attendances so far (13188 in a 30000 seater stadium). England said a couple of weeks back that they'd sold out of their allocation, so not a match neutrals wanted to see I guess.

Japan have had most of the possession so far, but not doing much in attack. Argentina playing better than the lowly ranking would suggest.

Grande

Looks like a decent crowd for Japan/Argentina in Paris - not packed as it was for France, but not bad.

I think the England/Scotland game had one of the poorer attendances so far (13188 in a 30000 seater stadium). England said a couple of weeks back that they'd sold out of their allocation, so not a match neutrals wanted to see I guess.

Japan have had most of the possession so far, but not doing much in attack. Argentina playing better than the lowly ranking would suggest.
Who are the stand-out players so far?

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Pretty bad game so far. it's like both sides have agreed to just run around and not shoot or threaten each other.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
My favourite thing about watching these games so far is everything surrounding it is completely positive - the players, pundits, coverage, fans etc. It’s a great advert and having it available for wide coverage is going to help massively for its future following!

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Pretty bad game so far. it's like both sides have agreed to just run around and not shoot or threaten each other.
Japan just not playing well enough to get through the Argentine defenders - they pass neatly enough until they get into the final third, and then Argentina are defending well and in numbers. Argentina are so dependant on Banini going forward at the moment, that it's hard for them to do much - though Jaimes could cause Japan trouble if they do get a bit of attacking play going.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Japan just not playing well enough to get through the Argentine defenders - they pass neatly enough until they get into the final third, and then Argentina are defending well and in numbers. Argentina are so dependant on Banini going forward at the moment, that it's hard for them to do much - though Jaimes could cause Japan trouble if they do get a bit of attacking play going.
Argentina have just stacked the middle of the pitch/centre of defence and Japan just keep trying to play through the middle. Their coach usually makes good adjustments at HT, should use the wings more 2nd half and cause problems. Argentina are really poor defensively normally, lot of individual errors.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I will never understand why women don't play with a smaller frame for the goal. If one can accuretaly make a long shot high off the ground, there is no way keepers save them.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Liked the way Casey was bigging up Jane Ross then.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I will never understand why women don't play with a smaller frame for the goal. If one can accuretaly make a long shot high off the ground, there is no way keepers save them.
I agree. I saw something recently where two female players were being interviewed and said that they thought the goals should be smaller. Maybe it's just because they feel like they have to do everything the same as the men which is daft because men and women are just different.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
The Chelsea coach Emma Hayes has been advocating that. She said women are shorter naturally and just cannot jump as high as men. She also said that the women's game is completely different and should be looked at as a different entity.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
I agree. I saw something recently where two female players were being interviewed and said that they thought the goals should be smaller. Maybe it's just because they feel like they have to do everything the same as the men which is daft because men and women are just different.
The Chelsea coach Emma Hayes has been advocating that. She said women are shorter naturally and just cannot jump as high as men.
It is just simple logic isn't it ? I mean men who are between 190cm and 200cm can find it tough against long range shots.
Men and women are different, some adjustment wouldn't be a bad thing.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Argentina have just stacked the middle of the pitch/centre of defence and Japan just keep trying to play through the middle. Their coach usually makes good adjustments at HT, should use the wings more 2nd half and cause problems. Argentina are really poor defensively normally, lot of individual errors.
Fair comment. The space is out wide. I was wondering if the reason they're reluctant to use it is the fact that the Argentinian players are mostly bigger than the Japanese and they don't feel they'll be able to do much once inside the penalty area itself.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Smaller goals wouldn't make the goalkeepers any better.

Or is this argue keeper regarded as a bit crap anyway? I'd just hit long rangers at her, nearly fecked that one up and doesn't look overly confident.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Wow - big result for Argentina, defended right to the last second. Japan disappointingly meh, I was expecting more from them.
Yeah, Japan were really poor. They had a decent 10 mins midway through the second half and that was it.

Argentina defended well and could have couriered a couple times but they were too poor attacking wise to manage it.

NoPace

Canada are ranked 5th in the world, Japan 7th, so are clear favorites for this against Argentina (37) and Cameroun (46).

Argentina has been struggling with a bankrupt football federation, but Esfania Banini at Levante is one to watch.
Canada ain't great going forward (considering their 5th place ranking, probably closer to like the 10th best attack I'd guess), but really solid backline.