Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I was at the game, I think he'll get goals for us this season but can't help but feel like we could use someone with speed who can play in behind, or at least threaten.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
I don't think any other player in our squad could have scored that header

The more I watch it, to beat Morgan in the air like that and to direct the header to the far post. It was very impressive

Betson

I know I am in the minority but I think expectations are far too here for Zlatan , and I know it is not popular to say but I think he is also overrated a bit.

Won't be surprised if he really struggles in the premiership and after our first dozen or so games people whoa are in high praise of him now will be calling for him
to be dropped as he contributes little or nothing when he is not scoring.

Dobbs

When he drops deep it moves the backline out of position, or at the very least one of the #6s. Someone needs to move into the new space and capitalise on that. That someone is not Rooney, who wants to drop deep as well. In my opinion we need to play a 4-3-3 where Pogba capitalises on this or we need to play Mkhitaryan behind him/ Rashford beside him. It is just not going to work with Rooney in the team.

His performance today was OK. Once the players get on the same wavelength and they've all been de-LVGised then I suspect play will dramatically improve.
Disagree. He shouldn't be dropping deep, not on a regular basis anyway. He's not exceptional enough in that department that it warrants abandoning the No.9 position.

His best stuff today was when we played the ball into him around the penalty area. I'd still prefer the movement and pace of Rashford or Martial but if he sticks to being a target up top he'll give us something.

Kill 'em all

Pastor of Muppets
I know I am in the minority but I think expectations are far too here for Zlatan , and I know it is not popular to say but I think he is also overrated a bit.

Won't be surprised if he really struggles in the premiership and after our first dozen or so games people whoa are in high praise of him now will be calling for him
to be dropped as he contributes little or nothing when he is not scoring.
If Zlatan, a player who's been top scorer in almost every title winning side he's been in is overrated, than what does that make players like Rooney? This is a player who's consistently scored goals throughout his career at the highest level.

3KDré

Disagree. He shouldn't be dropping deep, not on a regular basis anyway. He's not exceptional enough in that department that it warrants abandoning the No.9 position.

His best stuff today was when we played the ball into him around the penalty area. I'd still prefer the movement and pace of Rashford or Martial but if he sticks to being a target up top he'll give us something.
He drops deep because he doesn't get the service from the midfield or Rooney that he wants. He wouldn't do it so much if they passed to him more often. He would still do it but not as often.

Besides, that is how he plays his game? It's like asking Carrick not to sit deep and spray passes around, or asking Martial not to dribble at players. If that is what he excels at, why would you not want him to do it? I am pretty sure this is how he played at PSG as well.

napolij

He drops deep because he doesn't get the service from the midfield or Rooney that he wants.
For anybody whos been following Zlatan, this is the way he plays. When he feels he dont get that ball in front, he will drop down to get the ball and get more involved

Zoo

Loved his post match interview. Everyone talks about his giant ego but he seemed chuffed to win this and honoured to be a United player.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I was at the game, I think he'll get goals for us this season but can't help but feel like we could use someone with speed who can play in behind, or at least threaten.
Yep, drop Rooney and play rashford as the 9, let Ibra stroll around creating. hopefully it'll happen soon, fed up of watching old concrete boots stink up the place.

meninred

zlatan's only criticism is he fails to produce on the biggest stage when it matters most.

m1y2

he's like stronger Berbatov, he's short of fitness and sharpness, he will get to know his palyers better, so there is a lot of optimism around him depsite he had average at best game, only due to great goal..

Gause

Jose was right about how we need to play around the box more often to maximize Zlatan. Martial, Rashford and Shaw seem to be able to easily running through the flank and get inside the box, all we need is for them to cross the ball properly and feed the Zlatan.

ricky-romeo

The more I watch it, to beat Morgan in the air like that and to direct the header to the far post. It was very impressive

this.

the reason why we get him as well. we need a goalscorer yes but someone big and present in the penalty box is something we didn't have for quite sometime.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

This is the kinda stuff Fellaini should do on a regular with the height advantage he has but he rarely do. Zlatan is very athletic whereas Fellaini isn't at all and yeah you're right, no other player in the team would have scored that

Mr Smith

He drops deep because he doesn't get the service from the midfield or Rooney that he wants. He wouldn't do it so much if they passed to him more often. He would still do it but not as often.

Besides, that is how he plays his game? It's like asking Carrick not to sit deep and spray passes around, or asking Martial not to dribble at players. If that is what he excels at, why would you not want him to do it? I am pretty sure this is how he played at PSG as well.
Exactly. There's no exact right or wrong way to play as a striker, but when you're constantly dropping deep, it's uaually the sign of the rest of the team not doing it's job effectively. Thats not to say a striker should never drop deep, but there is a difference between doing it for tactical reasons and vary attacks and doing it because you aren't seeing enough of the ball.

Not too worried though, think that will be less of a problem once Pogba arrives and he gets some serious service.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I thought it was a good performance overall. He lost possession a few times towards the end of the game but other than that, he started counterattacks with good passing and vision. He will be fine if he has passing options around him and players that can control a ball. So far he's doing what he is supposed to do, just needs to get shaper but he's not the issue.

John Blund

Ouch, that first touch on Rooney @ 1:09..

As for Zlatan - he didn't need many chances, hopefully we'll serve him better in games to come. His passing ability is great, even in tight places. When he did that jump in is celebration, I actually feared he'll do that CR7 celebration.

The Red Thinker

Ouch, that first touch on Rooney @ 1:09..

As for Zlatan - he didn't need many chances, hopefully we'll serve him better in games to come. His passing ability is great, even in tight places. When he did that jump in is celebration, I actually feared he'll do that CR7 celebration.
The jump and fist pump is the Zlatan trademark.

AgentP

And that was not the only time he beat Morgan to the ball. If he can dominate Morgan aerially, the other defenders in the league won't stand a chance.

Jaybomb

Can't believe there's people out there that think he will fail. And these guys are supposed to know about football... :lol:

One of the best players I ever seen. He's gonna be a Legend for us.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
And that was not the only time he beat Morgan to the ball. If he can dominate Morgan aerially, the other defenders in the league won't stand a chance.
I think he will enjoy the PL more than any other league because of its physicality and might even regret not having come there a little sooner.

Trizy

The team will have to be created around Zlatan to get the best out of him. He's used of fast moving play at PSG where he's the target man. This will obviously take time as Jose has to find his best 11 and settle them in. He'll get the goals, i'm sure of it.
One thing I notice was he's an absolute tank on the field. We all know he's a beast and is great at holding the ball but I didn't think he'd throw himself at some high balls like he did on a few occasions, not to mention for his goal too. It's refreshing to see.

m1y2

He's nothing like Berbatov. Technique yes. But everything else is night and day.
yeah in a way he is, technically great flair player who is best utilized when the team around him works hard for him, unlike him.

ice-bionic red

It's not working right now especially with Rooney. The lack of pace is evident but he's absolutely world class. His main job is to score and if he can get him the ball in the box, the unit that he is, he's going to score for us :)

Status
Not open for further replies.