Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
He's only played more games in one other season I think. So it was as full a year as any pro can expect with injuries etc. Him doing what he did whilst 35 doesn't get us additional points so ultimately who cares what age he was.

In anycase the desperation of Mourinho to get him in the team was sadly predictable. No problem with him being an option but jamming him in when there's no real position for him, when he's not fit, when He's no long term future here. What's the point?
He doesn't have to have a long term future here. He didn't have one last year as well and still knocked in 28 goals as a 35 year old. The age is relevant since that simply doesn't happen in England.

el3mel

It hurts, but he's no shape to start any meaningful game this season.

Dobbs

He doesn't have to have a long term future here. He didn't have one last year as well and still knocked in 28 goals as a 35 year old. The age is relevant since that simply doesn't happen in England.
Tell me what do we get extra for him scoring goals as a 35 year old? Nothing is the answer so it's irrelevant. Doesn't matter.

We're making the team worse by playing him. Fine if that player has a long future here but without that there's no point.

Last edited:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Tell me what do we get extra for him scoring goals as a 35 year old? Nothing ks the amswer so it's irrelevant. Doesn't matter.

We're making the team worse by playing him. Fine if that player has a long future here but without that there's no point.
Its obviously more impressive when a 35 year old scores the goals since he is outperforming all the younger players. That should tell you enough about his supporting cast. Mourinho can make his own decisions about who he wants to play going forward and having Zlatan available is better than not having him available, especially when you consider Lukaku's mediocrity.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Was always going to be a struggle to come back from that injury.

He looks a shadow of himself.

LARulz

Just use him more as a coach/mentor for the youngsters. He is currently in no position to be starting, and doubt he will be

Raw

All his silly talk about being a lion tricked me to believe a 36 year old could recover from a serious ACL injury. He's not ready, I don't think he will be for a while.

AndyJ1985

Maybe he'll be useful for the rest of the season, maybe not. Either way he'll hopefully be gone in the summer. He's not the future and we should concentrate on finding players who are.

Dobbs

Its obviously more impressive when a 35 year old scores the goals since he is outperforming all the younger players. That should tell you enough about his supporting cast. Mourinho can make his own decisions about who he wants to play going forward and having Zlatan available is better than not having him available, especially when you consider Lukaku's mediocrity.
Given he's not removing Lukaku to play Ibra I'd say that point is neither here nor there.

Again apart from pleasing those who are big fans of his scoring goals as a 35 year old gives you nothing more in a tangible sense than doing it as a 25 year old. I don't get why his age is repeated by yourself and others as some sort of plus. His age doesn't benefit the team at all.

Paul_Scholes18

Not good enough at the moment. We need something better here. Should be back on the bench next game. I hope he can find form again, but it doesn't look like it at the moment.

Z2United

Supports
Team Zlatan
Given he's not removing Lukaku to play Ibra I'd say that point is neither here nor there.

Again apart from pleasing those who are big fans of his scoring goals as a 35 year old gives you nothing more in a tangible sense than doing it as a 25 year old. I don't get why his age is repeated by yourself and others as some sort of plus. His age doesn't benefit the team at all.
Personally i dont rate his goals higher or more impressive since he is old. I dont think many do. For me and I'm guessing others zlatan is currently about potential not product. If he can come back to be last years player he will still be a better striker than lukaku. He will need time to get back to match pace, as seen, hes not there. He should get that time imo. But perhaps not in crucial games until he improves a bit for now. He still on only what 200 minutes or something total after his injury and not playing for 9 months.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I don't see what the big deal is here. We're talking about our top scorer from last year who just returned from a major career threatening injury. He is obviously not going to resume scoring as if nothing happened to his knee. We have him for the rest of the year and should use him where applicable, especially when you consider that Lukaku is under performing. After this year we will likely part ways and look at other options. There's really no need to analyze the situation beyond what is obvious.

Dobbs

I don't see what the big deal is here. We're talking about our top scorer from last year who just returned from a major career threatening injury. He is obviously not going to resume scoring as if nothing happened to his knee. We have him for the rest of the year and should use him where applicable, especially when you consider that Lukaku is under performing. After this year we will likely part ways and look at other options. There's really no need to analyze the situation beyond what is obvious.
My response was to you pointing out his age last season as some kind of bonus rather than a comment on the current situation.

However I don't see any problem with posters pointing out his return has been unnecessarily fasttracked to the detriment of the team.

He should be phased back into the team like any other striker with a long term absence would be. Its clear from his sub appearances he's not ready for a premier league start.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
My response was to you pointing out his age last season as some kind of bonus rather than a comment on the current situation.

However I don't see any problem with posters pointing out his return has been unnecessarily fasttracked to the detriment of the team.

He should be phased back into the team like any other striker with a long term absence would be. Its clear from his sub appearances he's not ready for a premier league start.
Its not a bonus but it is a special accomplishment for any player of that age. When was the last time a player that showed up in England and scored that many goals in less than a complete season ?

As for his return - I don't think its been fast tracked at all. In fact, i'd argue that it has come very slowly by way of bit part appearances here and there. The start today is just the start of more to come. Jose is doing the right thing by reintroducing him gradually.

Dobbs

Its not a bonus but it is a special accomplishment for any player of that age. When was the last time a player that showed up in England and scored that many goals in less than a complete season ?

As for his return - I don't think its been fast tracked at all. In fact, i'd argue that it has come very slowly by way of bit part appearances here and there. The start today is just the start of more to come. Jose is doing the right thing by reintroducing him gradually.
Again with the "less than a complete season." He's only ever played more games in one other season. Why do Zlatan fans blur fact and fiction?

Again yes it's a special accomplishment for him to score his at that age but it doesn't earn the club anything extra does it? Do we get more points for a player defying his age?

He's not fit enough to start games. Yet he's starting games. Nothing more to be said.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Again with the "less than a complete season." He's only ever played more games in one other season. Why do Zlatan fans blur fact and fiction?

Again yes it's a special accomplishment for him to score his at that age but it doesn't earn the club anything extra does it? Do we get more points for a player defying his age?

He's not fit enough to start games. Yet he's starting games. Nothing more to be said.
It doesn't earn his club anything special but it does highlight how good he is. No other player in his situation would've scored half as many goals in less than a complete season in England. And that's not taking into account the 50 goals he scored in France a season earlier. The overarching point being he is quality and has demonstrated it everywhere he has played.

Dobbs

It doesn't earn his club anything special but it does highlight how good he is. No other player in his situation would've scored half as many goals in less than a complete season in England. And that's not taking into account the 50 goals he scored in France a season earlier. The overarching point being he is quality and has demonstrated it everywhere he has played.
46 games.

If that's not a complete season then bar his last at PSG(51 games) he's never had a complete season.

Your overarching point has little to do with a player being selected without merit. He's shown nothing in his sub appearances to warrant a start as I suspect you know.

Andersons Dietician

I was one of the ones that said he would be a detriment to the overall direction of the team and I actually think he made us worse last season. As an option you bring on for 20 minutes or give him cup games instead of Lukaku he’s a good option but he surely won’t get another season here.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
46 games.

If that's not a complete season then bar his last at PSG(51 games) he's never had a complete season.

Your overarching point has little to do with a player being selected without merit. He's shown nothing in his sub appearances to warrant a start as I suspect you know.
He doesn't have to show anything based on your preferred timeline. What is important is that he has demonstrated it to Mourinho in training and the manager believes he can contribute going forward. Once the goals start flowing the questioning will likely be replaced by compliments.

pascell

Signing him to a new one year deal has held our attack back, we should've signed another striker or LW instead and played Rashford/Martial up front.

AP88

Supports
Man City
Just use him more as a coach/mentor for the youngsters. He is currently in no position to be starting, and doubt he will be
I think his presence subdues youngsters tbh; no coincidence that the flow of the team has declined since he returned to the squad

MThomas

Figo: In Spain we called Benitez 'píldora para dor
He doesn't have to show anything based on your preferred timeline. What is important is that he has demonstrated it to Mourinho in training and the manager believes he can contribute going forward. Once the goals start flowing the questioning will likely be replaced by compliments.
I'd be very surprised if goals start flowing. Not a knee-jerk reaction to todays performance, which was pretty much as shit as it gets, it's just that he looks miles off being ready for high intensity football. Jose will have to bring him on as a late sub, hoping that his presence in the box or long range shots can bag us a few goals. As it looks now, anything over 8 goals sounds unlikely to me..

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I'd be very surprised if goals start flowing. Not a knee-jerk reaction to todays performance, which was pretty much as shit as it gets, it's just that he looks miles off being ready for high intensity football. Jose will have to bring him on as a late sub, hoping that his presence in the box or long range shots can bag us a few goals. As it looks now, anything over 8 goals sounds unlikely to me..
I agree that he looks a bit off since returning, but there will be a breakthrough performance at some point, at which point the goals will come. I don't think Ibra is a long term solution by any means, but I'd rather have him than not for the rest of the year, especially since Lukaku is misfiring.

stevoc

The first half today felt like so many games last season where we failed to create much and our attack looked flat.

Coincidence?

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
If he'd been at the club for some time, now an ageing asset, I don't think anyone would've have been anything but highly impressed and positive, etc.

The problem is that he was brought in, at his age, as part of what Mourinho himself apparently regards as a gradual rebuild process. He doesn't make 100% sense in that context. He clearly wasn't brought in as a grand old backup option with the added benefit of functioning as a mentor figure – but as our main attacking weapon.

When we went for him, my initial thought was that Jose considered the rest of the team strong enough to be there or thereabouts – with Zlatan added as a ready-made, if old, killer to win us crucial points. Sort of like Fergie's RVP move: Nevermind the overall, long-term picture, just add some sheer attacking prowess to make the difference because the latter is available and will work out short-term.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I feel bad for him as he's nowhere near the player he was last year, I assume he's just massively rusty but perhaps he's rushed himself back, his fake confidence is covering the truth he isn't ready?

He doesn't seem strong, his agility on the ball seems to have gone but even worse his passing is just all over the place. He's trying to force the ball and it isn't coming off.

He was slowing our game down far too much, and Lingard showed we missed his energy when he came on, it was night and day difference.

I don't want to write off Zlatan but right now it's not looking good.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He’s completely finished this season and a club with our pretensions shouldn’t be carrying someone like him in our squad. He’s slow and static, offers bugger all in the build up and zero goal threat. Why is he here?

PED Fraudiola

Not good enough for the starting 11 atm. Also Zlatan and Lukaku should NEVER play at the same time, it’s like playing with 10 men. I'd rather see Martial or Rashford as a striker when Lukaku is off. Zlat can be a sub for the main striker at 80 mins, but only when we are leading and dont need any urgency to score a goal. I believe (and hope) this is his last season here.

wr8_utd

:'(
Playing Ibra really should not be applicable anywhere other than in dead rubber matches. While I'm glad we kept him on when he was injured, we're not running a charity and this isn't a stage performance for the "Lion". He's woefully short of form, fitness, sharpness and doesn't deserve to even make the bench in any sort of meaningful match. Lukaku at his worst is better than what Ibra has done in the two games he's started recently.

Eddy_JukeZ

I actually thought he looked better than his last showing, but I don't think he should play meaningful minutes at all.

Cameo option only. But he'll be gone at the end of season. MLS beckons I magine.

Status
Not open for further replies.