5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Schneckerl

Really curious how he'll perform this season.
A major injury and another year of aging could potentially have massive impact on a 36 y.o. player's performance no matter his work ethic and shape he's usually in.

Hoping for the best ofc.

Sansa Stark

Supports
Real Madrid
We all know what Zlatan can do and besides he's nearing his return hopefully his return can guide us to silverware

Darkhorsez

It will be great to see him in action. Such great passion and winning mentality that will do wonders for the team. So curious to see how Mou plans to use him. Is it going to be a simple rotation with Lukaku?

Trizy

Should be used as a #10 instead of the two passengers we have there now. Zlatan always loved to drop deep anyway, and unlike Mkhi and Mata it takes more than a little shoulder barge to take the ball off him.
He'll be brilliant as a 10. People often overlook how good his passing is, he is a very creative player when dropping deep tbf. He often played behind Cavani at PSG and was brilliant at bringing other players into the game.

Plus he can strike a ball from distance :drool:

Red_toad

He'll be brilliant as a 10. People often overlook how good his passing is, he is a very creative player when dropping deep tbf. He often played behind Cavani at PSG and was brilliant at bringing other players into the game.

Stick him straight upfront alongside Lukaku, Fellaini to play as the 10, then the hoof ball will go into overdrive.

White text...

Trizy

Stick him straight upfront alongside Lukaku, Fellaini to play as the 10, then the hoof ball will go into overdrive.

White text...
That's one way to bypass City's press. :drool:

EDIT: Oh, you weren't being serious :(

AndyJ1985

I admire the mans mentality and will to win, but can't say I'm that excited by his return. Our goal output last season was terrible and as we're seeing this season with Lukaku our attacking woes lie with the players behind him. Zlatan is even slower and less mobile than Lukaku.

Yagami

Good post resistant
What? Haha.
It is funny. For as big as he is (with the strength to back it up) and as good technically as he is, he gets dispossessed way too easily. He hardly ever successfully holds off pressing players which is worse in his case because he never chases back when caught out. It doesn't help that, when he drops deep which he often does, he also holds onto the ball for far too long. I held this opinion before we signed him from PSG as I saw him a lot there, too - it's nothing new.

Ibi Dreams

I admire the mans mentality and will to win, but can't say I'm that excited by his return. Our goal output last season was terrible and as we're seeing this season with Lukaku our attacking woes lie with the players behind him. Zlatan is even slower and less mobile than Lukaku.
A lot of the time our problem last season was finishing chances, whereas this season we've gone back to struggling to create them. I am very interested in seeing him back in the team because, although he was our number 9 last season, he's a better playmaker than almost everyone else we've got. He and Pogba had a nice understanding too, and having both of them back PLUS Lukaku should make a big difference

Varun

Staff

Yup, he'd do well there but I don't see Mourinho using him there as a default option. Seems to want someone capable of running with the ball there.

Antonedwin

White text...
It is funny. For as big as he is (with the strength to back it up) and as good technically as he is, he gets dispossessed way too easily. He hardly ever successfully holds off pressing players which is worse in his case because he never chases back when caught out. It doesn't help that, when he drops deep which he often does, he also holds onto the ball for far too long. I held this opinion before we signed him from PSG as I saw him a lot there, too - it's nothing new.
Yup, he'd do well there but I don't see Mourinho using him there as a default option. Seems to want someone capable of running with the ball there.
Did anyone even think zlatan will just sit on the bench letting mkhi, mata or lingard play ahead of him ?

He will force his way in & mou will play him whenever he available , with or without lukaku.

Mercurial

With his slower speed and penchant for dropping deep, he can always do the classic Italian trequartista role. His passing ability and key passes for final third is excellent and as good as it gets in the game, and he has great hold up play, with a smart fast/technical player like Lukaku/martial ahead of him it could be like his old Juventus days, assist galore. Problem I see is his tracking back and his ball recovery once lost. But as long as Mkhi is this anonymous it's a feasible concept.

Varun

Staff
Did anyone even think zlatan will just sit on the bench letting mkhi, mata or lingard play ahead of him ?

He will force his way in & mou will play him whenever he available , with or without lukaku.
Zlatan doesn't pick the team but yeah, given how poor Mkhi has been, there's a good chance he'll play there.

Treble

He's not mobile enough to play as a Nr 10 or something like that. E.g., David Silva and Eriksen are among the players who cover most ground in the PL. Your Nr 10 must always be available for a pass. One of United's problems is the lack of dynamism and high work rate. Zlatan would exacerbate the problem if played behind Lukaku. It could work against teams which we can dominate without problems but would fail against better teams and away from home.

He's not mobile enough to play as a Nr 10 or something like that. E.g., David Silva and Eriksen are among the players who cover most ground in the PL. Your Nr 10 must always be available for a pass. One of United's problems is the lack of dynamism and high work rate. Zlatan would exacerbate the problem if played behind Lukaku. It could work against teams which we can dominate without problems but would fail against better teams and away from home.
I can't imagine us playing him in Micky's role, he'll be a forward, who as per his normal game, likes to drop deep. Lukaku will be a massive help with this as he likes to do the opposite.

LoneStar

Hopefully we go with a 442 with Ibra and Lukaku upfront. Martial and Rashford on the wings. One can dream....

Andersons Dietician

Although in princible I’m totally against us playing this way but I’m intrigued to see a front 3 of Fellaini, Lukaku and Zlatan with Smalling playing behind them in the hole. Kinda be funny if the do a Wilder and start shouting Bomb Squad!!! When they are up top

sunama

Baghdad Bob
He would have broken Rooney's highest goal Talley in a season of 34 goals if he was fit all season.
...and the crazy thing is that many MUFC supporters were saying that his injury is a blessing in disguise and that he was no good.
They were desperate for him not to play, even though he was so prolific.
Those same fans seem to want Jose out now, probably because we are in 2nd place and top of the CL group.

I'm beginning to think that these "fans" aren't fans at all.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
It will be great to see him in action. Such great passion and winning mentality that will do wonders for the team. So curious to see how Mou plans to use him. Is it going to be a simple rotation with Lukaku?
I can’t see Zlatan sitting on the bench when he is fit, don’t think his ego would take it.

Persobly see Lukaku been benched apart from when Zlatan agrees to be rested.

Antonedwin

I can't imagine us playing him in Micky's role, he'll be a forward, who as per his normal game, likes to drop deep. Lukaku will be a massive help with this as he likes to do the opposite.
We had Rooney playing as 10 for the last 3 years against all kind of opposition and i refuse to believe zlatan will do worse than him in same position. He will drop deep like always a occupying midfield ,. The difference is we have lukaku now to stay upfront

Wilt

Can't return soon enough for me .....Zlatan we need you NOW!

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He has to be back up too Lukaku imo. Lukaku has been better for the team as a while and doesn't stifle otherw like Zlatan.

If Mourinho plays him behind Lukaku then our play is going to get a whole lot worse. He's completely unsuited to playing there and I dread to think of the route 1 football we will see.

Antonedwin

He has to be back up too Lukaku imo. Lukaku has been better for the team as a while and doesn't stifle otherw like Zlatan.
myth , lukaku stop scoring as soon as pogba went down injured, and on top of that we also stop creating chance.. at least zlatan creates
He's completely unsuited to playing there and I dread to think of the route 1 football we will see.
he played as 10 in most of his career, with juve, inter, milan. if any he wasn't suitable as lone striker / target man ( example at barca ) , he need striking partner instead.

he isn't fellaini , guy is very good with his feet

Last edited:

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
He could play as a 10 exactly in the manner that Eric did. Easily.

IAmAWinner

He will come back and he will win us the league. You can quote me on that.

Mercurial

myth , lukaku stop scoring as soon as pogba went down injured, and on top of that we also stop creating chance.. at least zlatan creates

he played as 10 in most of his career, with juve, inter, milan. if any he wasn't suitable as lone striker / target man ( example at barca ) , he need striking partner instead.

he isn't fellaini , guy is very good with his feet
I have to agree with you. And generally do think a player like Lukaku is so clinical that he will score as long as service is provided. As we currently stand his service is just not there and being a numbers game, if Lukaku has many more chances on goal he will convert more, it's what he does best. Pogba, Zlatan, Lukaku will have chemistry. Pogba's forward passes from mid third are fantastic and Zlatan has that split vision and track record needed to do the same in the final third, people forget he was schooled in one-touch football for his formative years in Ajax. Lukaku, much like Trezeguet did in Juve will put a lot of balls in the back of the net with that kind of service AND will look WC while doing it.

I do get the appeal of fast agile press play, fast transitions etc like Bayern treble team, but Mourinho is a modern pragmatic variety Catenaccio coach and has reshaped us in a physical 1 goal win way, our defensive track record speak for it, we just need a steady supply of goals and will go all the way once that happens.

Given all that, in today's press style play Zlatan do get dispossessed from time to time and it might just not work for many reasons. It will probably be tried in low importance matches, late subs, overlapping subs, training etc before going full Live. I just don't see Zlatan going ACL-surgery to 100% that fast, and coach said so already. Mourinho has the winning instinct, he is no fool, more options are better than fewer options.

Jeffthered

Zlatan is a step up from Mikithariyan. He's been dreadful and we have to change this. Zlatan will give us a prescence and quality that we lack. We will however, lose mobility, but Miki could hardly move nor think, so that's something I worry less about.

My concern is our lack of natural width and Mourinho HAS to address this some stage. Martial, Rashford are naturally centre-forwards, playing on the left, cutting inside. It's ok when it works well, but when we are struggling it has massive limitations. We do not have flying wing-backs.

We need to address this.. a wide player, a genuine wide-player, would make a huge difference to our team, and would open the game up for Lukaku, Zlatan, Pogba, Matic, Carrick, Fellani, Rashford, Martial etc... all would benefit. In my opinion, this is our biggest failing, the lack of natural, wide players. If we can get Danny Rose, I say break the bank, offer Shaw and Mata and get him to OT.

PepsiCola

Start him up top with Rashford and Martial on the flanks.

Midfield of Pogba - Matic - Herrera.

Treble

He could play as a 10 exactly in the manner that Eric did. Easily.
Yup, Zlatan is like Cantona and football hasn't changed since Cantona retired. It doesn't matter one bit that Zlatan doesn't cover much ground. Hoof the ball to him, the rest is easy.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Surely the plan is to go 352 with both up top? No idea what that means for Martial/Rashford but feels a lot more Jose than any other option.

He was very good as a 10 for PSG, but that's hardly the toughest job.

I'm just not sure he gives you enough movement if played there for the 90. But as a sub, or over 50 minutes it might work.

Antonedwin

I have to agree with you. And generally do think a player like Lukaku is so clinical that he will score as long as service is provided. As we currently stand his service is just not there and being a numbers game, if Lukaku has many more chances on goal he will convert more, it's what he does best. Pogba, Zlatan, Lukaku will have chemistry. Pogba's forward passes from mid third are fantastic and Zlatan has that split vision and track record needed to do the same in the final third, people forget he was schooled in one-touch football for his formative years in Ajax. Lukaku, much like Trezeguet did in Juve will put a lot of balls in the back of the net with that kind of service AND will look WC while doing it.

I do get the appeal of fast agile press play, fast transitions etc like Bayern treble team, but Mourinho is a modern pragmatic variety Catenaccio coach and has reshaped us in a physical 1 goal win way, our defensive track record speak for it, we just need a steady supply of goals and will go all the way once that happens.

Given all that, in today's press style play Zlatan do get dispossessed from time to time and it might just not work for many reasons. It will probably be tried in low importance matches, late subs, overlapping subs, training etc before going full Live. I just don't see Zlatan going ACL-surgery to 100% that fast, and coach said so already. Mourinho has the winning instinct, he is no fool, more options are better than fewer options.
What lukaku lack of , is what zlatan good at ( hold up & link up play )
What zlatan lack of , is what lukaku good at ( being clinical & fast )
We will have our yorke & cole soon.
Mkhi should go to the right flank. He was better as rw anyway

prtk0811

...and the crazy thing is that many MUFC supporters were saying that his injury is a blessing in disguise and that he was no good.
They were desperate for him not to play, even though he was so prolific.
Those same fans seem to want Jose out now, probably because we are in 2nd place and top of the CL group.

I'm beginning to think that these "fans" aren't fans at all.
I was one of them , but that was wrongly interpreted on the forum out o sheer emotions of loosing him. The reasons were strictly tactical that time with him unable to run in behind as the focal point to stretch the defense, so that there is more space in final third. Now with lukaku you don't have to worry about that aspect of the tactical balance, he could just slot in behind for the building up an leave lukaku to stretch up the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.