Zlatan Ibrahimovic |United Player | See the thread in the United Forum

Should we sign Ibra on a free this summer ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
They also have world beaters like Benteke, and soon one-trick-pony Vardy which is extremely proven (for one season in a specific system, that is.)
The case of Benteke is interesting: 16 goals with Genk in 11/12 and 19 goals with Liverpool in 12/13 with Aston Villa.

I'm also very sceptical about the ability of Vardy to repeat the same season but we never know :)

C'est Moi Cantona

Because you're a paranoid guy who probably still insists the world is flat despite everyone saying otherwise?
Not at all, I'm not even that bothered about him joining, but there is just something about it all that doesn't seem right, no doubt I'll be wrong though, and you can think up another witty response then..

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
28 in "Kanu" years maybe!

I bet whatever the loan fee was won't be much different than whatever signing on fee Zlatan will get.

Honestly I do think Ibrahimovic will be a very good signing but people are looking at the Falcao deal with the benefit of hindsight, at the time it was a good idea.

The Zlatan deal is not that different than the Falcao one was.
The deal might not be too much different, as in it's a 1 year, whether you call it a loan or a transfer.

But you cannot even slightly compare the two players.
If Falcao had still been the level he'd been previously, they wouldn't have dreamed of loaning him out, he'd have been sold for huge bucks. That should have been the massive alarm, the hold on, why would they loan a player like him.

I expect Falcao also got a high sign on fee too, as well as the fee. I'd be amazed if that wasn't a more expensive deal all in.

Devil may care

We are going to sign an aging World Class forward who has got an excellent scoring record after recent spells in France and before that Spain.

There is absolutely nothing that links that to Falcao.
The biggest difference is that Ibra is coming here off a 51 goal season, Falcao came here while recovering from an ACL tear.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Unfortunately, we don't have him yet. I'd like to remind you that he scored 1 less goal in the League than your top 3 scorers put together.
Yes it's hard to see past Arsenal for the title with such a player in their ranks now. The wait is finally over for you guys, congrats

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Not at all, I'm not even that bothered about him joining, but there is just something about it all that doesn't seem right, no doubt I'll be wrong though, and you can think up another witty response then..
I think what doesn't seem right, is that it all seems to have been done so easily.

We're used to long drawn out sagas.
Maybe this is an added bonus to Mourinho.
Hopefully he can continue his ability to get huge fees for unwanted players. Although there is no us to fleece for Mata this time!

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Did you even for a second think before you posted that?

How many European clubs do you think can pay 300k a week?

Barcelona/Real - he's already had a spell at one, and the other just won the Euro cup!
PSG - he's there already
City? Play Aguero, and Ibra dislikes Pep apparently .

That leaves us. While many seem to relish putting us down, we are still a monumental draw.

A pal at work said to me, why would anyone leave Leicester, as all the money is ramping up with the TV deal.
He seems blind to the fact that others can pay way more, and even if Leicester could suddenly pay more, everyone else can too, keeping that gap!
And the last rumour has him at 220k£ a week.

NoPace

If it's true we have a team option on the 2nd year (and there's a small or even no big payout to Zlatan if we don't take it), this is a fecking great idea.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
And the last rumour has him at 220k£ a week.
absolute bargain :drool:

I like it when fans who buy a season ticket for say £700 honestly believe that they "pay the players' wages"

Yeah for about 3mins.

Eddy_JukeZ

If it's true we have a team option on the 2nd year (and there's a small or even no big payout to Zlatan if we don't take it), this is a fecking great idea.
I'd be surprised if there wasn't a option to extend 1 more season.

If Ibra has a successful season, I think he'll stay 1 more then move to the MLS to play for Miami in 2018.

Norris

The deal might not be too much different, as in it's a 1 year, whether you call it a loan or a transfer.

But you cannot even slightly compare the two players.
If Falcao had still been the level he'd been previously, they wouldn't have dreamed of loaning him out, he'd have been sold for huge bucks. That should have been the massive alarm, the hold on, why would they loan a player like him.

I expect Falcao also got a high sign on fee too, as well as the fee. I'd be amazed if that wasn't a more expensive deal all in.
If I am not mistaken, Falcao to Monaco was a Mendes decision so that the Club would get big bucks when they sell him/loan him and for himself and the player to get huge pay offs. Monaco were struggling with the FFP and had no alternative but to let Falcao go out on loan. I don't think it had anything to do with his injury.

clarkydaz

Just a bit:
During his spell at Barcelona, Ibrahimović had a falling-out with coach Pep Guardiola, culminating in a dressing room incident in which Ibrahimović threw a training-kit box across the room and screamed insults at Guardiola. Guardiola eventually refused to speak to Ibrahimović and loaned him out to Milan.[191] Barcelona vice president Carles Vilarrubi further revealed that Ibrahimović had threatened to publicly beat up Guardiola if he was not released to Milan.[192]
:lol:

Man-United

Zlatan hates Pep and that will also be a big motivation for him to move here just to get one over Pep :lol:

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
If I am not mistaken, Falcao to Monaco was a Mendes decision so that the Club would get big bucks when they sell him/loan him and for himself and the player to get huge pay offs. Monaco were struggling with the FFP and had no alternative but to let Falcao go out on loan. I don't think it had anything to do with his injury.
Yep, I get the money issue, but you sell a player if you have money issues. Not loan them. As what they've now found happens, that everyone discovers he's completely shot away and now won't ever go for decent money again.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think what doesn't seem right, is that it all seems to have been done so easily.

We're used to long drawn out sagas.
Maybe this is an added bonus to Mourinho.
Hopefully he can continue his ability to get huge fees for unwanted players. Although there is no us to fleece for Mata this time!

You make a good point there, I've become used to long drawn out nonsense that usually ends in disappointment, Thiago was one for the worst for me, but Vidal, Hummels, Fabregas, etc are all bad ones, I just don't feel this way about Ibra but I would still like him here, and I hope it'll all go as everyone seems to think it will.

C'est Moi Cantona

I think Ibra would have denied it by now with all the questions he's had, but you never know with him.
Exactly, he loves the attention, we may not be in for him at all, and he is just happily chuckling away to himself before he announces he's off to Qatar or somewhere.

Norris

Yep, I get the money issue, but you sell a player if you have money issues. Not loan them. As what they've now found happens, that everyone discovers he's completely shot away and now won't ever go for decent money again.
Hmm, I get your point, but those loan deals did come with an option to buy the player permanently for both United as well as Chelsea. So Monaco did make efforts to sell him, but just not in the typical, straightforward way. Might not have been the smartest idea from them knowing that one bad loan would destroy any chance of offloading him for good

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
You make a good point there, I've become used to long drawn out nonsense that usually ends in disappointment, Thiago was one for the worst for me, but Vidal, Hummels, Fabregas, etc are all bad ones, I just don't feel this way about Ibra but I would still like him here, and I hope it'll all go as everyone seems to think it will.
I think the ground work on this one was done soon after Mourinho was first tapped up, maybe Feb.

I much prefer transfers that come out of the blue, like the defender guy who is imminent. I suppose when the level of the player is as high as Ibra though it's impossible to hear no whispers.
However, if it is all done on Tue, it's gone through fairly quickly, and before Euro 2016 too which is good.

As otherwise that puts everything on hold for at least 2 weeks.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Yes it's hard to see past Arsenal for the title with such a player in their ranks now. The wait is finally over for you guys, congrats
Just like every year, I can't see any reason to play the league at all, just give them the trophy to be fair.

JPRouve

Scout
Monaco were the only club willing to buy Falcao upfront and it was needed because Atletico wanted all the money since he was partially owned by Mendes and I think Porto had a cut on him too.
After that Falcao wasn't really good in the first half of the season, iirc he also asked to leave very early in the season. So it was easy for Monaco, for them Falcao was a player on big wage, underperforming, unhappy and coming back from an injury.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Hmm, I get your point, but those loan deals did come with an option to buy the player permanently for both United as well as Chelsea. So Monaco did make efforts to sell him, but just not in the typical, straightforward way. Might not have been the smartest idea from them knowing that one bad loan would destroy any chance of offloading him for good
Recruiters are not stupid. All knew he was injured between January 2014 and August 2014.

So, Falcao was a gamble and to limit the risks, you put in place an option.

Monaco did the same with Stephan El Shaaraway (prone to injury player). Outcome? He played for Monaco only 4 months and came back to Italy.

Vanya

I understand the reservations some posters have with the signing of Ibra since we've been treated to slow paced football over the last 3 years and Ibra would be rendered useless if we continued to play that way. But Ibra is not being signed by Van Gaal. this is mourinho and he knows how to get the best out of ibra.

All we have to do is get the supporting cast right now. Its imperative that we sign a world class RW to support martial and ibra and some class act playmaker in midfield to create opportunities for these players

Norris

Monaco were the only club willing to buy Falcao upfront and it was needed because Atletico wanted all the money since he was partially owned by Mendes and I think Porto had a cut on him too.
After that Falcao wasn't really good in the first half of the season, iirc he also asked to leave very early in the season. So it was easy for Monaco, for them Falcao was a player on big wage, underperforming, unhappy and coming back from an injury.
But wasn't the transfer from Atleti to Monaco also a financial decision with the intention (Not sure if it was the Club's or Mendes's idea) being to buy the likes of him, James Rodriguez and Moutinho for huge transfers and then move them on for even bigger transfer fees? That's what I recall reading anyway. He was always going to be sold for big bucks at some point. I think everyone at the club knew that. I don't think the ACL injury was ever a factor, since he was really close to joining Madrid, but din't want to play second fiddle to Benzema.

When you say, first half of the season, do you mean from his first season ? I thought he was very good. Even after returning from his ACL, didn't he score a couple of goals or something ?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
But wasn't the transfer from Atleti to Monaco also a financial decision with the intention (Not sure if it was the Club's or Mendes's idea) being to buy the likes of him, James Rodriguez and Moutinho for huge transfers and then move them on for even bigger transfer fees? That's what I recall reading anyway. He was always going to be sold for big bucks at some point. I think everyone at the club knew that. I don't think the ACL injury was ever a factor, since he was really close to joining Madrid, but din't want to play second fiddle to Benzema.

When you say, first half of the season, do you mean from his first season ? I thought he was very good. Even after returning from his ACL, didn't he score a couple of goals or something ?
You're right. 2 goals including 1 penalty in August 2014

Norris

Recruiters are not stupid. All knew he was injured between January 2014 and August 2014.

So, Falcao was a gamble and to limit the risks, you put in place an option.

Monaco did the same with Stephan El Shaaraway (prone to injury player). Outcome? He played for Monaco only 4 months and came back to Italy.
Yeah, I know that. I was responding to the poster who suggested that Monaco were willing to loan Falcao simply because of his ACL injury and that he wasn't as good as he once was. I just din't agree with that. I think the plan was always to sell him at some point for really huge money, but the ACL injury meant that the terms of the transfer had to be modified.

Ixion

Ajax, Juve, Inter, Barca, AC Milan, PSG and United. I can't think of any other player that can match that collection of clubs.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Yeah, I know that. I was responding to the poster who suggested that Monaco were willing to loan Falcao simply because of his ACL injury and that he wasn't as good as he once was. I just din't agree with that. I think the plan was always to sell him at some point for really huge money, but the ACL injury meant that the terms of the transfer had to be modified.
Injury or not, Falcao was depressed to play in an empty stadium: hard to compare Monaco with Madrid in terms of atmosphere.

JPRouve

Scout

That's pur fantasy, Monaco wanted to build a strong team and Falcao was supposed to be a living ad for the club. The plan changed the following season because they realized that they couldn't attract enough interest from sponsors, now they want to emulate Porto.
And no Falcao wasn't very good, it was a weird situation because his team was playing really well but he wasn't integrated, he still scored 7 goals and 2 pens but it was despite average performances.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
That's pur fantasy, Monaco wanted to build a strong team and Falcao was supposed to be a living ad for the club. The plan changed the following season because they realized that they couldn't attract enough interest from sponsors, now they want to emulate Porto.
And no Falcao wasn't very good, it was a weird situation because his team was playing really well but he wasn't integrated, he still scored 7 goals and 2 pens but it was despite average performances.
Let's say he was:

- a world-class striker with Atletico Madrid
- an excellent striker with Monaco: the French league is not so easy as you know because most of the teams are very conservative/defensive & the defenders are generally physically strong.

I'd say the business plan has changed in 2014 following the 'most expensive divorce in history' involving the shareholder of Monaco.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...an-billionaire-reaches-deal-with-ex-wife.html

Norris

You're right. 2 goals including 1 penalty in August 2014
He also scored against Arsenal in the pre-season friendly if I recall. There really wasn't much of an indication that his form had suffered at that point.
Injury or not, Falcao was depressed to play in an empty stadium: hard to compare Monaco with Madrid in terms of atmosphere.
Well, yeah, obviously.
Oh, from the articles I remember reading, I always thought Monaco's ambitions were purely financial.
I guess most people (like myself) would have obviously judged his performances at Monaco by his numbers, which is why I assumed he continued on from his performances at Atletico.

Zlaatan

Parody Account
Get in touch with that big bunch of top class players who initially struggled to adapt or never did.
Mind you I am not talking about 10-12 years ago, I'm talking about the current PL, maybe 3-4 years back. Who exactly are these top class players that have struggled? And whoever you might find, could there not have been other factors involved? *cough* Di Maria *cough*... Have these guys not been as good as they have been before because of the sheer quality of the opposition in the PL? I find that really difficult to believe tbh. Great players don't become worse by facing better teams (if we go by your premise) more often.

And what about the even bigger bunch of top class players who came in and were just absolutely fantastic? They came to the exact same quality league as the players who flopped.

There are tons of reasons as to why certain players never reached their potential in the PL, and they can all be applied to every top league in Europe. It's not like teams like Sunderland and Liverpool are so fantastic that new top class players just finds it impossible to do well against them, while an alcoholic toddler could become rookie of the year in Spain and Germany with one leg tied behind his back.

Dobbs

Mind you I am not talking about 10-12 years ago, I'm talking about the current PL, maybe 3-4 years back. Who exactly are these top class players that have struggled? And whoever you might find, could there not have been other factors involved? *cough* Di Maria *cough*... Have these guys not been as good as they have been before because of the sheer quality of the opposition in the PL? I find that really difficult to believe tbh. Great players don't become worse by facing better teams (if we go by your premise) more often.

And what about the even bigger bunch of top class players who came in and were just absolutely fantastic? They came to the exact same quality league as the players who flopped.

There are tons of reasons as to why certain players never reached their potential in the PL, and they can all be applied to every top league in Europe. It's not like teams like Sunderland and Liverpool are so fantastic that new top class players just finds it impossible to do well against them, while an alcoholic toddler could become rookie of the year in Spain and Germany with one leg tied behind his back.
Look you're obviously a big fan and though I disagree some of your points are well made.

Pretending though that top players haven't come to the EPL and initially struggled is just silly. It's you trying to prove a point for the sake of it. Di Maria did clearly struggle with the Premiership, as did Ozil in his first season. Going further back the list is long and distinguished.

Status
Not open for further replies.