Álvaro Morata | Chelsea player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
I rate Morata highly and think this would be a very good buy. But, as usual with most transfer sagas, his detractors underrate him while his boosters oversell him. To say that Morata is already "easily in top 5-7 strikers in Europe" is crazy talk. Morata has a great package of skills and attributes and has excelled in certain situations but he has never even been a regular at first team level, maxing so far around 2400 minutes (a regular starter in a team in many competitions can end up with almost twice that numbers). I don't hold that against him given the clubs he has played with but it does add greatly to the uncertainty regarding projecting his future performances. He could become one of the best 5-7 strikers in Europe but he could also struggle with the adaptation to the Premier League, have difficulty putting in consistent performances when asked to play more regularly than he ever has in his career, or just stall for other reasons related to form, injury, or personal issues. You're buying a great prospect but he isn't a finished product and the range of possible outcomes is wide.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Anyone thinks we'll get Belotti along with this guy?
It is rumoured, although I'm struggling to see where he fits them both in the team? Surely he won't bench one, considering the amount of monies it will have taken to get em'

C'est Moi Cantona

Yeah, but it was fun while it lasted and it made sense in the end. Just look at our season.

We love to hate Benzema, but his selfless approach to the game does make Ronaldo a better goal scorer. There's no denying that.

Morata is a real 9, he looks for the goal and there is nothing selfless about him. Our game would suffer if he was to replace Benzema in the starting 11.
Fair enough, your lose will hopefully be our gain, he's a good looking bugger to top it off as well.

AndyJ1985

It's actually happening isn't it. I'm quite excited, he looks a real talent.

redNATION

Like the kid but 73me is overpaying by quite a bit. Was expecting 60m max
It's 73m Euros, which is around £64m. A few years ago, it would've been closer to £50/55m when the exchange rate was favourable. It's a better result than I was expecting; fully expected Real to extract their pound of flesh from us after the DDG fiasco, and insist on £80m.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
I think he has all ingredients to be a top top striker. Always liked him, just needed the right coach to polish his game. Many UTD fans are against the signing but I'm willing to bet 10euros that he will be great for United

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
Shouldn't quote her, she was the one virtually guaranteeing that Pogba would never be a MUFC player and was dying to sign for RM a few days before we signed him.

She is extremely pro Madrid biased and a huge attention seeker.

Great tits though.

Ole'sbodyguard

Dnt understand all the negativity around Morata. Yes, he is not what u call top-bracket yet but if you have seen him play then you will know that he is easily in top 5-7 strikers in Europe. Being a second choice is not because he is not capable to lead the line, its because Madrid is CR7 place and he likes playing with Benzema.

If you have seen Madrid play this season, then you would notice that CR7 is almost playing as a striker. Benzema makes the run to vacate the striker position and takes a defender with him and that makes space available to CR7 to run into. Morata doesn't do that. He takes up that space. Also, Benz is better when it comes it creating chances for CR7, specially from left hand side of attack. And thats why my friends, Benz starts ahead of Morata. But, I am pretty sure if this was CR7 of 4-5 years ago, when he was playing as winger, creating as many chances as scoring, then Morata would have been the first choice.

When Zizou played second choice team to rest the stars, Morata has been brilliant. He even came from bench to save Madrid on more than few occasions. Real are the team to win most points from loosing positions(comebacks) in la-liga this season and Morata has a big hand to play in that. Even yesterday in friendly against Colombia, Morata scored a fantastic header to equalize.

If Real are asking 60m for him, I wldnt say its a bad deal considering VVD was quoted at 70m. Yes, many players have come with reputation and big money and failed in EPL, but then you take that chance with each transfer.

So my fellow reds, transfer window has not even opened yet. Have some faith in Jose and enjoy other sports till the start of season. French Open has been good, F1 is competitive again after 5-6 years. So chillllllll and enjoy the summer :):):)
I am glad if UNited sign Morata but I think it is a big stretch to call him a top five striker in Europe. For me, Lewandowski, Suarez, Ronaldo, Kane, Higuain, Costa, Benzema are all currently better and more proven. That said, I think Morata can develop into a top striker with regular football and I don't get qualms over the price. The quoted fee is about the going rate. Look at what Lukaku and VVD are being touted at.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This

Morata-Fabinho-Lindelof

Then Perisic/LW or an attacking LB (I wish!).
Both....
De Gea
Valencia Bailly Lindelof Mendy
Fabinho
Herrera Pogba
Mkhitaryan Morata Perisic
Incredibly well rounded team, just needs the front 3 to step up a bit (along with Martial). Then put Griezmann in next summer and make it a 4-2-3-1 with Fabinho and Pogba in mid, miki, griezmann and martial behind Morata.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
Both....
De Gea
Fabinho
Herrera Pogba
Incredibly well rounded team, just needs the front 3 to step up a bit (along with Martial). Then put Griezmann in next summer and make it a 4-2-3-1 with Fabinho and Pogba in mid, miki, griezmann and martial behind Morata.
No Englishman in the starting XI unsettles me. I still think Shaw can make it.

Jacko21

Both....
De Gea
Fabinho
Herrera Pogba
An all-foreign XI. :(

Acquire Me

Morata is very fast even though his a big guy. I can see him score lots of goals for us. Quality from Mourinho imo.

bosnian_red

An all-foreign XI. :(
We can get Keane in and play him instead of Lindelof, and have Lindelof as the bench player to grow into the side. Not too worried though, there aren't really any good english players that are available to get or good enough for the level we want to be at apart from Kane/Alli. It is what it is. Keep all the english players as squad players and have an all foreign 11.

bosnian_red

No Englishman in the starting XI unsettles me. I still think Shaw can make it.
:lol: Come on, he's had like 5 good games in his 3 years at the club, never really showed any real talent going forward with his defensive abilities usually being better, is always injured and has had his mentality questioned multiple times. I'd be shocked if he ever amounted to anything.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I think the fee is too high.

But then I remember that Martial's full fee was 80 mil euros for an unproven 19 year old, and I had no problem with that. That is illogical.

So welcome Alvaro.

Real are making us pay this much but will have to pay a fair bit next time they are in the market for a striker. It's the new normal.

Scholsey2004

Just that he wears 7 for Spain thats why. Just pure guesswork really.
If he wears 7 for spain then he'll probably ask for it. Its about time we had some real quality in the 7 shirt. Leaves 9 for if zlatan stays after recovering as well.

Acquire Me

I think the fee is too high.

But then I remember that Martial's full fee was 80 mil euros for an unproven 19 year old, and I had no problem with that. That is illogical.

So welcome Alvaro.

Real are making us pay this much but will have to pay a fair bit next time they are in the market for a striker. It's the new normal.
We should wait and see what the actual agreement fee will be. Could be as high of course, but let the club's come to an agreement first.

Status
Not open for further replies.