g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Álvaro Morata | Performances

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He will take time to adapt. Long balls and physical battles are very common and Morata isn't good with those. He falls to the ground very easily; which is obliviously carrying over from La Liga.
Very good point. He doesn't like physical battles and is always quick to complain to the ref.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Just watched the highlights. What a shocker he had, finishing wise.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Finishing was terrible yesterday as was Lacazette, as they say the grass is always greener elsewhere.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
That first miss was horrendous. Probably one of the miss of the season.

Arsenal's "defending" for that first chance was even worse.

nonso

Just watched the highlights,his finishing was beyond horrendous ,this place would be in chaos if lukaku had a similar game

dove

6 out of his 10 goals in PL are headed... kinda explains why he is so bad with his feet :D Happy we went for Lukaku as while he might not be the most technical striker in the world, he can actually score with his feet.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
6 out of his 10 goals in PL are headed... kinda explains why he is so bad with his feet :D Happy we went for Lukaku as while he might not be the most technical striker in the world, he can actually score with his feet.
Just a shame for Lukaku the only good balls he gets seem to be in the air.

Red Star One

Just watched the highlights,his finishing was beyond horrendous ,this place would be in chaos if lukaku had a similar game
To be honest, I don't think Morata had a worse game yesterday than Lukaku against City. Rom faced better team, that's for sure though.

Prometheus

Supports
Chelsea
10 goals and 4 assists in 17 starts is a decent return for his first half season the premier league.

Coincidentally Lukaku has exactly the same number of goals and assists (but rather in 21 starts).

Last edited:

dove

Not saying he is bad overall but I don't think there is any doubt who is a better finisher between the 2. We as a team criminally lack creativity and Lukaku never had 3-4 clear cut chances in a match. Morata's finishing yesterday wasn't just a bad luck, the shooting technique was terrible in all the chances he wasted.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Not saying he is bad overall but I don't think there is any doubt who is a better finisher between the 2. We as a team criminally lack creativity and Lukaku never had 3-4 clear cut chances in a match. Morata's finishing yesterday wasn't just a bad luck, the shooting technique was terrible in all the chances he wasted.
You can't look at yesterday as an definitive example of Morata finishing ability. He is usually much better than that. You have to look at a longer term time horizon for a more accurate comparison and ultimately his league goals to minutes ratio is significantly better than Lukaku's.

Charles Miller

I was among those trashing his pathetic display. But watching the game again i'm impressed by his supreme technique, just had bad luck and i believe he is gonna win a Balon D'or in the next two seasons!

ash_86

Though the spotlight seems to be on Morata, Two out of the 3 one on ones were passes played from the back and Arsenal were cut open like hot knife through butter. Wish we provide Lukaku with such service.

Trizy

What's the Chelsea fans verdict of half way through the season?

Admittedly yesterday was the first time I've seen Chelsea play in months but he looked like a Spanish Lukaku (which isn't a good thing considering their price tags).

zing

Zingle balls

Admittedly yesterday was the first time I've seen Chelsea play in months but he looked like a Spanish Lukaku (which isn't a good thing considering their price tags).
:lol: Sums it up.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

I like him a lot.

He's missed some horrendous sitters granted but i have always had this philosophy that im not worried if a striker is missing chances, im worried if they aren't getting any. Ofcourse that's half tongue in cheek as he can't keep missing as many chances as he is doing but it's worth noting Cavani has similar issue's with missing sitters (funnily enough didn't he also miss loads vs Arsenal last season?), to get as many clear cut chances as he does shows exceptional tactical awareness.

Kapardin

Maybe he needs a couple of heads where his feet are, would do fine then.:)

UsualSuspect

Supports
Chelsea

Really enjoying watching him. He is clearly developing and goes through patches but at times he looks top drawer. First time as the main striker and getting to grips with English football, so it's a tough job for him. What I really enjoy is his reading of the game - he's played some nice backheel one-twos with Hazard and he has superb vision for a striker.

Like I said at the start of the season, I wouldn't have minded Lukaku but I prefer Morata who is a more skillful player. I like seeing good play from a striker and not just goals.

roseguy64

Ignore the appearanes and look at the minutes played. He has significantly less minutes than the likes of Lukaku and Kane.
Lukaku has less shots than both Kane and Morata. Indicating the number of chances he gets and yet Morata isn't ahead of him.

roseguy64

Lukaku has less shots than both Kane and Morata. Indicating the number of chances he gets and yet Morata isn't ahead of him.
A side by side comparison of both
Also, seems that Lukaku is more careful with the ball but Morata dribbles and shoots more
Morata total shots

Lukaku total shots

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
Simply because Lukaku is less ambitious with the ball. He doesn't turn and face the goal in the way Morata instantly can (and does exceptionally well) - He's far more likely to just hold it and lay it off.

Stats like those can always be deceiving - So many different circumstances - Playing styles, time team ahead/behind/drawing, opposition faced, teammates - Football is always far too fluid to be simply be explained away with stats. All of them can be useful but fall short in giving a full picture - Same for XG.

roseguy64

Simply because Lukaku is less ambitious with the ball. He doesn't turn and face the goal in the way Morata instantly can (and does exceptionally well) - He's far more likely to just hold it and lay it off.

Stats like those can always be deceiving - So many different circumstances - Playing styles, time team ahead/behind/drawing, opposition faced, teammates - Football is always far too fluid to be simply be explained away with stats. All of them can be useful but fall short in giving a full picture - Same for XG.
Agreed.

cyberman

You're either lying to yourself or blind.
Lukaku does a lot more than lay it off, he's become the player that drops deep or wide to Play the passes that Martial etc latch on to.

The Outsider

Supports
Chelsea
We haven't seen Morata with enough clear cut chances yet to judge. Agree there are potential indications that he may have a Torres syndrome yet lets wait a bit longer before sentencing him. Undoubtedly he is the best header of the ball in the EPL.

Interestingly his conversion rate is better than Salah's though the latter gets more chances.

Denis79

That's really not how stats work...
That's exactly how statistics work.

noun
  1. the practice or science of collecting and analysing numerical data in large quantities, especially for the purpose of inferring proportions in a whole from those in a representative sample.

James Peril

It’s rather funny that Lukaku, Morata and Rooney are on the same amount of goals at this stage of the season, for obvious reasons.

Morata was really bad yesterday and missed big chances, which can happen to any striker - but I reiterate my point that a striker missing big chances is better than a striker not getting any chances. I am sure Lukaku would have scored those chances yesterday, but I am also sure he wouldn’t be in the same positions.

Both Lukaku and Morata, after his last couple of games, are having underwhelming seasons in terms of scoring goals.