40s Retro Football Fantasy Draft | Finished

Skizzo

Guys, any idea why i'm not getting alerts when you post? It says that i'm watching the thread, but I haven't recieved alerts since saturday night.
Sometimes there's a glitch I think where if you open the alert without going to the thread, it doesn't send you any new notifications. Not sure if that's what happened.

Otherwise you could try "unwatching" and then click watch thread again.

RedTiger

Half mast
Or someone blocked your notifications for trying to pick Dzagic as a 9th round pick.
Really? can someone do that?

Mate, I took a piece of paper to work with 2 names on it, Hunter and Sparwasser. When Hunter went before I could pick him, I went into a panic:lol: It was so busy I even had customers waiting for tables, I couldn't check the thread properly:(

The worst thing was that when Dzagic came into my head I was soooooo happy:lol::lol: I honestly thought that no one had picked him, like, "OMG!!! I can't BELIEVE hes still available"...The pain I felt when you guys pointed it out...:confused::confused::(:(:lol:

Annahnomoss

Mate, I took a piece of paper to work with 2 names on it, Hunter and Sparwasser. When Hunter went before I could pick him, I went into a panic:lol: It was so busy I even had customers waiting for tables, I couldn't check the thread properly:(

The worst thing was that when Dzagic came into my head I was soooooo happy:lol::lol: I honestly thought that no one had picked him, like, "OMG!!! I can't BELIEVE hes still available"...The pain I felt when you guys pointed it out...:confused::confused::(:(:lol:
:lol:

Skizzo

To answer your question, no I don't believe they can.

To the rest - :lol: I can imagine your pain.

Gol123

Mouthfull (of) Member
Supports
Chelsea
Am I the only person who tends to ignore older fans opinions on players they have seen when they were young? Often, their judgement is clouded by lots of romanticism and nostalgia, coupled with a hazy memory of said player due to how long ago it was.

Marty1968

Realise my time is just about up. Will be at work in an hour and will post then.

Marty1968

Next two players are.

Jurgen Croy

One of the most underrated goalkeeper in history of the game. Croy was an outstanding shot-stopper capable of amazing reflexes on his line. Combined with an excellent command of his penalty area, first-rate ball-handling skills, and above-average consistency, this quality made Croy one of the best goalkeepers of his time and arguably one of the best ever. East and West German media alike often placed him on an equal footing with his contemporaries Sepp Maier and Dino Zoff.

My second pick to offer some tenacity and energy in front of my back four. Fabio Capello - An outstanding player for three of the biggest clubs in Italy (Roma, Juve, Milan).

Marty1968

Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri 4. Israel 5. Ademir da Guia 6. Boninsegna 7. Furino 8. Prati 9. Stepney
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner 4. Corso 5. E. Hughes 6. Lorimer 7. Muntyan 8. Smith 9. Cooper
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier 4. Fischer 5. McNeill 6. Dobiaš 7. Tony Dunne 8. Sparwasser 9. Mifflin
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen 4. Gemmell 5. Murdoch 6. Jardine 7. Rexach 8. Hellström 9. Flohe
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone 4. Hulshoff 5. Kindvall 6. Rubén Marcos 7. Matosas 8. Skoblar 9. Pavoni
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2. Mazzola 3. Haan 4. Suurbier 5. Perfumo 6. Weber 7. Bonev 8. Bransch 9. Carpegiani
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink 4. Dobrin 5. Benetti 6. Cuccureddu 7. Holcer 8. Jennings 9. Dinu
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen 4. Heynckes 5. Höttges 6. Mészöly 7. Fichtel 8. Más 9. Iribar
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene 4. Van Moer 5. Khurtsilava 6. Bell 7. Urbanczyk 8. Shilton 9. Domenghini
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli 6. Rocha 7. Ancheta 8. Mazurkiewicz 9. Asparuhov
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5. Luis Pereira 6. Martin Peters 7. Bosquier 8. Yakimov 9. De Sisti
mazhar13 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff 3. B Dietz 4. Giles 5. Buchan 6. Simões 7. Hurst 8. Hunter 9. Lodetti
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5. Blankenburg 6. Lennox 7. Dzodzuashvili 8. G. Mühren 9. Bedin
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5. Lubański 6. Piazza 7. Bo Larsson 8. Lovchev 9. Fazlagic
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5. Gadocha 6. Greig 7. Byshovets 8. Sieloff 9. Reaney 10.
Marty1968 1. Gerson 2. Carlos Alberto 3. Rosato 4. Schwarzenbeck 5. Cubilla 6. Grabowski 7. Everaldo 8. Panenka 9. Croy 10. Capello

@Joga Bonito @Tuppet @Skizzo @green_smiley

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
@Tuppet picks Julio Meléndez Calderón

Julio Guillermo Meléndez Calderón

Considered one of the best defenseman in the history of Peruvian football, Julio Meléndez Calderón is another of the great glories of Peruvian football, and even had great success in Argentine football to the point of being considered on the ideal team of Boca Juniors between 1968 and 1972.

SPORT BOYS LAUNCHED HIM TO STARDOM

He began in the youth team of Centro Iqueño and then played Defensor Lima and KDT Nacional among others.

In 1964 he became part of his favorite team, Sport Boys of Callao, where he matured as a central defenseman and where he became an idol. In 1965 he moved on to Defensor Arica, a small club that was a protagonist in the Peruvian Championship during those years. He stood out so much during his time with the club that he was offered a contract by Boca Juniors from Argentina.

BOCA IDOL

On an historic Boca Juniors team that featured Angel Clemente Rojas, Silvio Marzolini, Ruben Jose Sune and Antonio Roma, Julio Melendez became an idol rising to become captain and champion of the 1969 and 1970 Argentine football tournaments. In those years the Boca fans used to sing with fervor: "I see it now, I see it now...it is a Peruvian and his ballet."

He was such a good player that not only was he adored by Boca fans but their rivals.

RETURN TO PERU

After passing through Argentina, Julio decided to return to Peru and played for Defensor Lima (1972), Atlético Chalaco del Callao (1973), Unión Tumán de Chiclayo

(1974), Juan Aurich de Chiclayo (1975-1977) and Leon de Huanuco (1978-1979), the club he retired from.

CHAMPION OF THE COPA AMÉRICA

In1975 coach Marcos Calderon called-up the Peruvian squad that won the Copa América that year. On that team he formed a potent duo with Héctor Chumpitaz with Eleazar Soria on the right wing and Rubén Toribio Díaz on the left.

1978 WORLD CUP IN ARGENTINA

Subsequently, he was summoned to play the qualifiers for Argentina '78 which Peru qualified to winning the group stage against Ecuador (1-1 and 4-0) and Chile (1-1 and 2-0). In that last game Julio Meléndez, who at the time was captain of the team, gave his shirt to the then president, Francisco Morales Bermúdez Cerruti. They hugged, cried and sang the national anthem at the Nacional Stadium before 50,000 people.

Later in the final in Cali he lost to Brazil (0-1) and thrashed Bolivia (5-0), achieving qualification to the WC. But Melendez was injured and was not considered for the Peruvian team.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Aldo 1. Best 2. Chumpitaz 3. Pirri 4. Israel 5. Ademir da Guia 6. Boninsegna 7. Furino 8. Prati 9. Stepney
Chesterlestreet 1. Pelé 2. Greaves 3. Bremner 4. Corso 5. E. Hughes 6. Lorimer 7. Muntyan 8. Smith 9. Cooper
RedTiger 1. Beckenbauer 2. Oblak 3. Maier 4. Fischer 5. McNeill 6. Dobiaš 7. Tony Dunne 8. Sparwasser 9. Mifflin
Skizzo/Pat_Mustard 1. Cruyff 2. Keizer 3. Olsen 4. Gemmell 5. Murdoch 6. Jardine 7. Rexach 8. Hellström 9. Flohe
Gol123 1. Van Hanegem 2. Overath 3. Johnstone 4. Hulshoff 5. Kindvall 6. Rubén Marcos 7. Matosas 8. Skoblar 9. Pavoni
Invictus 1. Eusébio 2. Mazzola 3. Haan 4. Suurbier 5. Perfumo 6. Weber 7. Bonev 8. Bransch 9. Carpegiani
Balu 1. G. Müller 2. Vogts 3. Rensenbrink 4. Dobrin 5. Benetti 6. Cuccureddu 7. Holcer 8. Jennings 9. Dinu
ctp 1. Rivelino 2. Marzolini 3. Jansen 4. Heynckes 5. Höttges 6. Mészöly 7. Fichtel 8. Más 9. Iribar
crappycraperson 1. Moore 2. Tostão 3. Bene 4. Van Moer 5. Khurtsilava 6. Bell 7. Urbanczyk 8. Shilton 9. Domenghini
Gio/Theon 1. Figueroa 2. Cubillas 3. Deyna 4. Clodoaldo 5. Bulgarelli 6. Rocha 7. Ancheta 8. Mazurkiewicz 9. Asparuhov
NM/EAP 1. Facchetti 2. Riva 3. Jair 4. Stiles 5. Luis Pereira 6. Martin Peters 7. Bosquier 8. Yakimov 9. De Sisti
mazhar13 1. Jairzinho 2. Zoff 3. B Dietz 4. Giles 5. Buchan 6. Simões 7. Hurst 8. Hunter 9. Lodetti
harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5. Blankenburg 6. Lennox 7. Dzodzuashvili 8. G. Mühren 9. Bedin
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5. Lubański 6. Piazza 7. Bo Larsson 8. Lovchev 9. Fazlagic 10. Julio Meléndez Calderón
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5. Gadocha 6. Greig 7. Byshovets 8. Sieloff 9. Reaney 10. Kappellman
Marty1968 1. Gerson 2. Carlos Alberto 3. Rosato 4. Schwarzenbeck 5. Cubilla 6. Grabowski 7. Everaldo 8. Panenka 9. Croy 10. Capello

@harms

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I pick a man who was unlucky to be born at the same time as two of the best Soviet centre-backs ever, yet he managed to earn 69 caps for his country. Vladimir Kaplychnyi - a perfect covering centre-back who played with Schesternyov for CSKA and went to the Euro semi-finals in 1968 and the final in 1972.

harms 1. Krol 2. Florian Albert 3. Van Himst 4. Roth 5. Blankenburg 6. Lennox 7. Dzodzuashvili 8. G. Mühren 9. Bedin 10. Kaplychnyi
Tuppet 1. Rivera 2. Džajić 3. Shesternyov 4. Causio 5. Lubański 6. Piazza 7. Bo Larsson 8. Lovchev 9. Fazlagic 10. Julio Meléndez Calderón
Joga Bonito 1. Law 2. Netzer 3. A.Ball 4. Wimmer 5. Gadocha 6. Greig 7. Byshovets 8. Sieloff 9. Reaney 10. Kappellman

@mazhar13

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Speaking of Baines, I found it considerably easier to jot down a list of half-plausible to very plausible right backs than a similar one for left backs. Which is why I went for Cooper rather than Reaney last round: @Joga Bonito (excellent pick, btw, I obviously wanted him, but - again - I deemed it much harder to get in a plausible left sider than the opposite number at this stage of the drafting).

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Speaking of Baines, I found it considerably easier to jot down a list of half-plausible to very plausible right backs than a similar one for left backs. Which is why I went for Cooper rather than Reaney last round: @Joga Bonito (excellent pick, btw, I obviously wanted him, but - again - I deemed it much harder to get in a plausible left sider than the opposite number at this stage of the drafting).
Aye, agreed with that.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Am I the only person who tends to ignore older fans opinions on players they have seen when they were young? Often, their judgement is clouded by lots of romanticism and nostalgia, coupled with a hazy memory of said player due to how long ago it was.
There is a tendency in any generation to value higher the players of your own era, the stars you exalted when growing up. Everyone is probably guilty of that to some degree. There is something though for living through an era to fully appreciate the lay of the land at the time. Sometimes that helps to cut through the revisionism (e.g. player X scored two goals in a major final, he was clearly the standout of his generation; or player Y never won the Champions League, was he really the main man?; or, as we're seeing here, player Z never played for any major clubs outside Eastern Europe, he couldn't have been all that).