Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
Marc Wilmots has tweeted that Januzaj starts tomorrow, huge surprise as his form is poor.
It's just a friendly......i don't think he'll start in the qualifier against Wales on Sunday

But i'm happy for him and it's good for us that he plays for Belgium

Van Gaal has said that Adnan had a holiday during the last international break because he hasn't played a single minute

In Rainbows

Finally back online. Adnan was pretty bad in his last match as were a lot of our attackers. I was pretty frustrated. His dribbling isn't working right now and he needs that on the wing to open up the rest of his game. He looked more comfortable in the very few instances he was in the middle of the pitch.

Still I'm happy that he's getting game time. There will be plenty more bad performances to come from him and the other young players.

He was pretty gash for the 2nd half of last season, tbf. Got a lot of developing to do yet.
He simply didn't play much after January. He was United's player of the month in January, and then Moyes didn't start him again until February. That suggests that it was more about giving him rest than a dip in form. The talk at the time was that United shouldn't rely on an 18 year old as he would burn out and hurt his development. With Mata new to the team, I'm guessing Moyes felt he didn't need to play him as often as before.

Anyways, he wasn't that great in his limited opportunities in the 2nd half of last season, but I always attributed that to not getting a consistent run of games like he had in October, December, and January.

Last edited:

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Football really does show how big the correlation between confidence and performance can be. And that's the issue with Adnan right now. Last season, everything seemed to utterly effortless for him. He looked like he had that bit of extra time and space as compared to those around him, and the game just looked simple for him. Hopefully he can get some confidence back soon, because he's a special special talent.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
He's talented and also infuriating when you know the things he could do and doesn't. He has so much time to fully develop into a consistent player, we just need to be patient with him.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A very good dribbler but lacks explosiveness like Sterling and Hazard. I'm starting to think he should expect a no. 10 with his silky touch and vision. I don't really like him on the right. His right foot delivery is weak and doesn't have the greatest finish yet.

It's too bad there is no Europa or league cup. He needs games to get better and stronger.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
It's simple to me. He's playing on the wings and teams are double teaming him now. He will find that space is a premium moving forward. It'll be interesting to see how he grows and adapts to this.
Exactly. So far, Januzaj's struggling with the lack of space he has and the extra pressure put onto him as a result. Also, the opposition can read his dribbles better after last season, so it'll be interesting to see how he can get around those obstacles.

So far, it seems as if he's trying to follow instructions and stay out wide to stretch the opposition, but he always has this tendency to drift into and try to play through the middle. It's what caused Ivanovic problems in the first half against Chelsea, and he also cut in quite often against Crystal Palace, too.

Another thing that'll be interesting to see is how he reacts to obstacles in front of him. From what I've read about him through news articles and interviews, he seems to be humble, hardworking, and motivated to overcome challenges. At least that's a good sign.

JoaquinJoaquin

He is experiencing the growing pains CR7 went through in 2005.
Unlike Cristiano however, I'm not sure what the end game for Januzaj is going to be. With Cristiano you just knew he was going to be the best player in the World one day, Adnan im not so sure. I think Januzaj will come through this bad spell for what it's worth but i'm doubting as to what his actual ceiling may be.

Cina

Unlike Cristiano however, I'm not sure what the end game for Januzaj is going to be. With Cristiano you just knew he was going to be the best player in the World one day, Adnan im not so sure. I think Januzaj will come through this bad spell for what it's worth but i'm doubting as to what his actual ceiling may be.
Back in 2005 very few people thought that. Rooney was the one everyone hyped up.

tombombadil

Exactly. So far, Januzaj's struggling with the lack of space he has and the extra pressure put onto him as a result. Also, the opposition can read his dribbles better after last season, so it'll be interesting to see how he can get around those obstacles.

So far, it seems as if he's trying to follow instructions and stay out wide to stretch the opposition, but he always has this tendency to drift into and try to play through the middle. It's what caused Ivanovic problems in the first half against Chelsea, and he also cut in quite often against Crystal Palace, too.

Another thing that'll be interesting to see is how he reacts to obstacles in front of him. From what I've read about him through news articles and interviews, he seems to be humble, hardworking, and motivated to overcome challenges. At least that's a good sign.
Gotta agree. He seems grounded, so I hope he'll eventually conquer this and move to a higher level.

Ole'sbodyguard

I noticed the same, myself, and the same is now starting to happen to Januzaj with Wilson being the more hyped up youngster at thr moment.
Wilson more hyped than Januzaj after last season? I am not seeing anything like that.

IF anything Januzaj is a clear level ahead of Wilson in terms of experience and displays at the moment. Probably more considering Wilson is nowhere near a starter.

RuudTom83

I've not been impressed with his performances of late, but he is not doing terribly or making any huge errors, so the team should be able to carry him some what in order for him to gain experience. You only get better by playing so again patience is needed with him.

If anything playing/being with the national team has had a adverse effect on his football.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
I still think he's a potential world class player but feel like his role is playing in the hole behind the striker. Reminds me more of Kaka than a winger.

Ole'sbodyguard

On Januzaj's form I thought he was good against Chelsea and was subbed against City after 40 minutes because of the sending off, so it's not like he's been putting in a succession of bad displays. He was average against Palace. He's not as good as early last season but there's nothing to overly worried about with his form.

In Rainbows

Januzaj playing much better in the middle for Belgium. An assist already (could have had 2 already) and almost scored.

Only needs to work on his shooting.

Last edited:

Redo91

no, i said "just about scored"... missed the top corner by an inch.

when i say that he's been belgium's best player today, that isn't necessarily saying much. lots of possession, very little end product.
Eh "just about scored" suggests that he scored, but only just. If he missed the top corner by an inch then you should have said "just about missed".

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
Eh "just about scored" suggests that he scored, but only just. If he missed the top corner by an inch then you should have said "just about missed".
well i'm from canada, and have split my time between here in england all my life and i have never heard anyone say it that way. and yes, english is my native language even if i don't always sound like it.

"just about" means almost/close/nearly where i'm from. must be a colloquial thing that i wasn't aware of could be differentiated differently between here and ireland.

sorry for the confusion, at any rate!

Redo91

well i'm from canada, and have split my time between here in england all my life and i have never heard anyone say it that way. and yes, english is my native language even if i don't always sound like it.

"just about" means almost/close/nearly where i'm from. must be a colloquial thing that i wasn't aware of could be differentiated differently between here and ireland.

sorry for the confusion, at any rate!
No worries at all mate. Funny how the meaning of phrases can change from place to place. When I say a player "just about scored" I mean that they only just managed to score, ie ball just crept over the line. If they "just about missed" it means they nearly scored and only just missed the target. I've never heard it the way you used the phrase but I guess you learn something new every day! :)

Someone have a clip of the Assist? Only saw the free kick that nearly went in.

kopviolator

He really is hyped up this fella, isn't he… He's been okay but not that special. Apart from his assist and free kick just wide, he's blasted two okay chances way off target. He was knocked off the ball once giving Iceland a very good goal scoring opportunity. Some neat passes and dribbles but the praise he's getting is over the top against Iceland B team.

caisenma

I ♥ Adnan
He really is hyped up this fella, isn't he… He's been okay but not that special. Apart from his assist and free kick just wide, he's blasted two okay chances way off target. He was knocked off the ball once giving Iceland a very good goal scoring opportunity. Some neat passes and dribbles but the praise he's getting is over the top against Iceland B team.
oh jeez. so it's okay to blast him for being shit, but not to praise him when he's playing well?

ridiculous.

In Rainbows

Wilmots told Januzaj that he doesn't want him playing like Van Gaal wants him to play. He wants him to come to the middle of the pitch more often as opposed to staying out wide waiting for the ball. That's why it appeared as if he was playing behind the striker, but in reality was a wide player with much more freedom to go central.

Status
Not open for further replies.