Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

endless_wheelies

feeling dizzy
I actually like him on the right wing, keeps the width and varies his drives/passes in to danger areas better than any other right-winger we have. Left wing he's a little predictable and no way should he keep Martial out of that position.

Strats

I was actually impressed he managed not to hit Martial with his header.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
A top player doesn't become bad overnight.
I really, really hope he’s got at least just ONE more season of the Alexis Sanchez we thought we signed in him. The team needs it massively.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Played down the middle when he came on, didn't he? Much better centrally and should continue to play there.
Him centrally and Lukaku wide right looks pretty good. Lukaku seems to be our only attacker who doesn't look useless on the right wing. It gives us a lot of balance too. Less reliant on Lukaku's inconsistent first touchand more on him being direct. Great cross on him too.

Martial, Sanchez, Lukaku should be our front 3 for the forseeable future.

Walters_19_MuFc

I thought this was what happened last 20mins. Seemed like Lukaku was out towards the right a lot.
This is the advantage of having two up top. Lukaku can actually drift wide, knowing that his strike partner will be central. When he plays up top on his own and moves out wide, we have no focal point.

Going forward, I'd like to see Sanchez played behind Lukaku.

Walters_19_MuFc

Him centrally and Lukaku wide right looks pretty good. Lukaku seems to be our only attacker who doesn't look useless on the right wing. It gives us a lot of balance too. Less reliant on Lukaku's inconsistent first touchand more on him being direct. Great cross on him too.

Was he actually on the right then? I know he popped up quite often there, but he does normally like to drift into the right channel, where he can cut onto his left and either shoot/cross. Either way, it looked pretty good, and as you said, something we should try.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Was he actually on the right then? I know he popped up quite often there, but he does normally like to drift into the right channel, where he can cut onto his left and either shoot/cross. Either way, it looked pretty good, and as you said, something we should try.
It looked like it. The commentary on NBC aid he seemed to be out there mostly from the moment Sanchez came on. I don't remember seeing much of him centrally after that. He generally looks for comfortable out there, than trying to hold the ball up. Hopefully it gives Jose an option to think about going in to this touch run of games.

Kapardin

This was the front 3 we wanted since January (barring a change of position for Sanchez and Lukaku), but our genius manager hasn't been able to figure it out till now.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
This was the front 3 we wanted since January (barring a change of position for Sanchez and Lukaku), but our genius manager hasn't been able to figure it out till now.
I agree. The two could and should be interchangeable. Maybe even all three, at a push. That might be asking too much from Jose's approach, but we can hope. I'd love to see a fluid front 3 that are impossible for defenders to pick up.

montpelier

Lukaku hasn't got the mobility or workrate to be doing that. If you fix him to the right, that creates an imbalance on the right flank, dictates the role of the Right side MF player. And then who should be your 'forwardest' attacker?

It's a nice idea, but I don't know how you do it?

Or you leave Lukaku out, :D.

MAME DIOUF 32

Considering Martial jumped right in front of him like that it's a very good header. Do I dare hope for a turning point?

Fergietime@99

Did anyone notice him blocking dubravka's vision for martial's goal. His experience and composure means rashford should never be starting ahead of him this season.

This is why I,and a few others,want him to play centrally.He's a far,far more instinctive striker than Lukaku.He's electric in central areas.
Dont play him out-wide.He's no longer quick enough out there and his final ball is usually pretty dreadfull.

Foxbatt

Put him in the centre. He will make things happen. He is not static like Lukaku.
He is a very talented player and is a better player than Lukaku

Canagel

Sanchez is and always has been a big risk taker. He looks so much better in a gung ho side with loads of options
The fast paced and desperate nature of the game helped him in the 2nd half. These players need to be on the attack and stop wasting energy tracking back. Especially a player like Sanchez who is nearly 30. He should be told to stay in and around the box and get off shots quickly.

Crashoutcassius

The fast paced and desperate nature of the game helped him in the 2nd half. These players need to be on the attack and stop wasting energy tracking back. Especially a player like Sanchez who is nearly 30. He should be told to stay in and around the box and get off shots quickly.
While I agree I'm not sure we can have too many players with the same instructions at the same time. Martial seems to need the same freedom and attacking focus and having lukaku far from the goal makes him kinda pointless

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Out of form or not, he must play. And on the right wing. He is not striker in our formation and style.
But against Chelsea, maybe Jose goes with defensive formation and put him on some false 9.

Billy Jim

Still think our best 11 has him as a striker. Even in pre-season he was looking food up there before being shunted out to the left again. Hopefully the next manager sees that even if Mourinho doesn't.

TheFlagStaysDown

Supports
Shamrock rovers
Play him up top instead of Lukaku. Rom can't hold the ball neither win any header becasue he mistimes them, Sanchez on the other hand can cover the ball and quickly turn, he wouldn't be a bad striker and he can waste as many balls up top as he wants, he takes a lot of risks but half of them could bring goals

Foxbatt

If he plays as a striker he is going to be more effective.
His ball control and movements are much better than Lukaku. He also is capable of scoring from anywhere.
Play Martial on the left and play him in the centre.

cantaldo

So nothing has changed since the newcastle game with loads of reports coming out today that he really wants to go, can't blame him if his reported frustrations are true.

Eugenius

So nothing has changed since the newcastle game with loads of reports coming out today that he really wants to go, can't blame him if his reported frustrations are true.
To be honest I'd be happy to see him gone. We can't be in this ludicrous position where we'd be paying him 500k a week at age 33.

The issue is I can't see anyone else paying him £80m in wages over the next 4 years, let alone a transfer fee. So either we take a big hit or he does.

Cloud7

To be honest I'd be happy to see him gone. We can't be in this ludicrous position where we'd be paying him 500k a week at age 33.

The issue is I can't see anyone else paying him £80m in wages over the next 4 years, let alone a transfer fee. So either we take a big hit or he does.
If he really wants to leave I’m sure he would work something out with the club, as I’m sure that they would want to get him off the books as well, and probably subsidize some of his wages.

That being said, this period of him on the sidelines is best for both him and the club. Let him try and re-focus in training while coming on as an impact sub. Starting every game and trying to play him into form hasn’t worked, so this is what’s best for everyone right now.

Devil may care

Sloppy in the short time he was on, had one good opening and played a pass to Lukaku that would have required him to have an F-22 attached to his ass to reach.

Status
Not open for further replies.