Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yeah that all may be the case, but the bottom line is if I remember correctly, Keys was talking like it was a certainty and the deal would happen and it simply didn't. I can't really comment on his reliability as a whole, but him getting Griezmann wrong, but Pogba right springs to mind.
Yeah but like I said, it could've been all but done. Happens all the time that things change. It's not like once a reporter says it's looking done that that's all done and no going back from there. Also why I wouldn't judge someones reliability by things that actually end up happening or not. They might hear a team is interested, a team bid, a team agreed personal terms, but then something happens where they pull out or the player pulls out. So I wouldn't say Keys was wrong about Griezmann. Everything pointed to a last second changed decision from Griezmann's side because of the transfer ban. Doesn't mean that before that, there wasn't a deal agreed and Keys was right.

Kapardin

Is there any chance at all that it'll be announced officially today? Or even reports about him heading for a medical?
I doubt he's had his medical. Think we will announce today or tomorrow that we will be signing him subject to a medical and leave it at that. Then, I suppose we will get the pics and interview after Stoke.

peridigm

Standby?!
Pep: "Alexis, we have decided to wait until we play Liverpool to make a decision. If we smash them, we will wait until the summer to sign you for free. If we lose, then we will pay the Arsenal asking price and bring you in now."

Infestissumam

disagree on the no brainer, lower fee normally just equals higher wages and bigger contracts, and with a player who is 30 this year, quite reliant on pace whose rummored to be disruptive at times when we already have two young players fighting for the position he would play who will defintly have their game time stunted buy this signing. personally think their is quite a big risk involved
well Sanchez has played a lot of RW in his career and he can also play in the middle. He is by no means a player who can just play on the left, so there's a lot of flexibility here. And considering that Ibrahimovic and Mkhitaryan are, by all accounts, near an exit, I don't think that Rashford and Martial would see their game time drastically reduced.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Is the general consensus that he’s joining United?

Wenger’s quotes imply all options are very much open.

If we pull this off it’s an absolutely unreal signing - exactly the level and profile of player we should be looking at.

Gopher Brown

disagree on the no brainer, lower fee normally just equals higher wages and bigger contracts, and with a player who is 30 this year, quite reliant on pace whose rummored to be disruptive at times when we already have two young players fighting for the position he would play who will defintly have their game time stunted buy this signing. personally think their is quite a big risk involved
Except he’s definitely a better player than either of them.

Plus I don’t think it’ll have a massive impact on their minutes.

The question you need to ask is ‘Would he make us better?’ The answer is, without any hesitation, ‘Yes’

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

If we pull this off it’s an absolutely unreal signing - exactly the level and profile of player we should be looking at.
I think the general feeling is cautiously optimistic.

elnorte

Freaky fly day

That's just Wenger in a desperate yet entirely unsuccessful attempt not to lose face.

pacifictheme

I sort of want to do a really crap photo shop of him holding a united shirt up, but i'm watching the 4pm game on my laptop...

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Except he’s definitely a better player than either of them.

Plus I don’t think it’ll have a massive impact on their minutes.

The question you need to ask is ‘Would he make us better?’ The answer is, without any hesitation, ‘Yes’
Better then them now? yes! bette rthen they should be if they get the correct coaching and game time in a year or so? Not sure.
you have a winger on wages rummored to be around £300k coming up to his 30th birthday probably on 4 or 5 year contract , you have to hope he will be pretty sensational in the short term becuase where likly to get some dud years towards the end of this deal.

for me this deal feels very short term, doesn't really address our weakness at number 10 or right wing, just seems like where trying to sign a big name becuase their available and thats about it.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I may be wrong but I don't think we ever announce deals on non-working days.
I did a quick check, going through all the transfers for our first team in the recent years (I might have forgot about one or two), and none of them were announced on a sunday. The closest is pictures of Matic in a Man Utd training shirt being leaked on a sunday, with the announcement being made the next day. Safe to say the best we can hope for today is reports about Sanchez heading for a medical.

Infestissumam

I did a quick check, going through all the transfers for our first team in the recent years (I might have forgot about one or two), and none of them were announced on a sunday. The closest is pictures of Matic in a Man Utd training shirt being leaked on a sunday, with the announcement being made the next day. Safe to say the best we can hope for today is reports about Sanchez heading for a medical.
I believe they did announce Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin on a Sunday, but that was because they left for preseason that day and had to hurry to get it done in time. Might be wrong though and obviously extraordinary circumstances.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
@Raoul I'm pestering you now :lol: but thread title change? Wenger did confirm Sanchez's future will be decided in 48 hours. Pretty significant if you ask me.

United Pro

Yeah but like I said, it could've been all but done. Happens all the time that things change. It's not like once a reporter says it's looking done that that's all done and no going back from there. Also why I wouldn't judge someones reliability by things that actually end up happening or not. They might hear a team is interested, a team bid, a team agreed personal terms, but then something happens where they pull out or the player pulls out. So I wouldn't say Keys was wrong about Griezmann. Everything pointed to a last second changed decision from Griezmann's side because of the transfer ban. Doesn't mean that before that, there wasn't a deal agreed and Keys was right.
Fair enough. How I usually decipher whether someone is reliable or not is based on how often they are correct about a transfer and from my memory about Keys, he's got 1 major call right and 1 wrong. I'm obviously not the best placed to comment on his overall reliability, hence why I only mentioned that Griezmann case in isolation.

Macern

Pee pee pants
I believe they did announce Schweinsteiger and Schneiderlin on a Sunday, but that was because they left for preseason that day and had to hurry to get it done in time. Might be wrong though and obviously extraordinary circumstances.
They were announced on monday july 13th 2015 according to wikipedia.

beedoubleyou

This could easily be photo shopped so take it with a pinch of salt but thought it's worth a post. Some other people on twitter are claiming they saw the same thing.

Seems unlikely that they'd dick around on the website until confirmed. I mean, this would take all of 2 minutes to add and I'm not sure the kid getting paid 20 grand a year to update it would be all the trustworthy.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Better then them now? yes! bette rthen they should be if they get the correct coaching and game time in a year or so? Not sure.
you have a winger on wages rummored to be around £300k coming up to his 30th birthday probably on 4 or 5 year contract , you have to hope he will be pretty sensational in the short term becuase where likly to get some dud years towards the end of this deal.

for me this deal feels very short term, doesn't really address our weakness at number 10 or right wing, just seems like where trying to sign a big name becuase their available and thats about it.
He just turned 29. He should have another 3 years in him at his peak at least

Macern

Pee pee pants
Seems unlikely that they'd dick around on the website until confirmed. I mean, this would take all of 2 minutes to add and I'm not sure the kid getting paid 20 grand a year to update it would be all the trustworthy.
Yeah I don't think it means anything. Even if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.