Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Number1

Would mean Sane/Sterling being benched more often than not and both have been great this season.

But Aguero/Jesus/Sanchez/Sane/Sterling/De Bruyne/David Silva/Bernardo Silva

Those forward line-up options :nervous::houllier:

tomaldinho1

So much denial from United fans atm regarding our noisy neighbours. Yes, we all cannot stand to see them doing so well but we can't act as if it is not happening - or blaming 'petrodollars' for it. It's happening and there's nothing moaning about it can do.

City are a far more attractive club to play for than United at this moment in time. Money aside they are playing great football, competing in everything, have fantastic training facilities, togetherness in the squad and can match any wages being offered by us, Chelsea and anyone in Europe. Compare that with us for example, you have Mourinho and his obstinate ways, uninspired football and a general feel of decline.

It's a no brainer. I think our board knew this hence the lack of interest from our side.
I don't think anyone is pretending it's not happening, I'm surprised how long it has taken tbh.

I still think most players would go Barca/RM, PSG over any PL club

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Correction :lol: He will be 18th signing, with the 17th signings having cost 411 Million Pounds...
And you would have to say, overall, they have spent that money much better than we have over that period.

Netspend is one of the most pointless stats in modern football. It's only used by fans online in dick waving contest.
Ridiculous statement. Along with wages, it’s the clearest measure of investment into the team from the board.

Strange conclusion to draw. Either you never balance your monthly/annual expenses or you're out there waving it yourself as well?
This.

DannyCAFC

Supports
Charlton Athletic
I don't necessarily disagree with what you are saying, but lets face it. Sanchez is basically at the twilight years of his career and has won enough trophies wherever he played. I just don't think his first priority is trophies. Look at Tevez for example, did he really go to China to win trophies or did he really go for the big money offered?
He went for money, but there's a difference between winning Mickey Mouse trophies in China and winning PL & CL titles.

Sanchez has only really won the title once at Barca, and never won the CL. I'm sure he'd like to add more domestic league success and a CL title to his honours list.

As I said, it's probably a combination of both, it was just more a retort to the idea that he's only going to City for money, a claim which has been made by a few United fans for example, as if he would choose them if it was were all about footballing reasons when City are head & shoulders above them and every other club in the country right now.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
Pep Guardiola - the biggest chequebook manager ever.

mike bird

Supports
Boston Celtics
He went for money, but there's a difference between winning Mickey Mouse trophies in China and winning PL & CL titles.

Sanchez has only really won the title once at Barca, and never won the CL. I'm sure he'd like to add more domestic league success and a CL title to his honours list.

As I said, it's probably a combination of both, it was just more a retort to the idea that he's only going to City for money, a claim which has been made by a few United fans for example, as if he would choose them if it was were all about footballing reasons when City are head & shoulders above them and every other club in the country right now.

Did you know that if he signs for them now he will get £20m signing fee bonus? And if he signs for them in the Summer, that could rise to £35m? Just saying, thats a lot of money.

tomaldinho1

Barca or Real, sure. PSG? No.
Surely a matter of opinion.

PSG are set up to consistently challenge for the CL (it almost feels inevitable they'll win it soon) + are just as strong financially as Man City. They've got a dream situation in an easier domestic league, a winter break and you get to be based in one of the major European Capitals. For me, PSG have entered that truly elite bracket with Barca/RM.

KingMinger22

City >>> United. Moaning twat
Surely a matter of opinion.

PSG are set up to consistently challenge for the CL (it almost feels inevitable they'll win it soon) + are just as strong financially as Man City. They've got a dream situation in an easier domestic league, a winter break and you get to be based in one of the major European Capitals. For me, PSG have entered that truly elite bracket with Barca/RM.
If PSG have, then by that logic so have City.

I think most players would choose City over PSG if the money was equal. Ligue 1 is hardly illustrious.

ti vu

£416m. They also sold players for £116m

For a comparison, United spent £314m on those 7 players and sold players for £52m

United also had a higher wage bill last season
I addressed this netspend on other thread. Something like sell on fee we got from the like of Keane and Drinkwater ain't being included, when City loan fee are included. If you look at it closely you should see something like City mostly sell for big loss for their expensive signings back in the day. They have bloated squad, their players are decent so they can sell them.

You would have to look at City GK situation to understand. They bought Bravo last season for a little under 20mil, and now he's a substitute GK. Those papers will have Joe Hart loan fee as part of City earning, but in reality, this is just to cover their some of the fee for signing Bravo. Delaney vs Mangala is similar. 40mil CB who is mainly contribute very little and would be hard to offload unless selling for big loss, eating up loan fee of other players. City already paid much up front. Their incoming is more damage controlling. I doubt they would have spent any less even if they get much less income.

Since SAF retires, our squad needs to add players, not to sell before buying. We didn't spend much compare to the likes of City back then. SAF squad got butchered by Moyes, LVG. LVG then added some dross. Which means we lack both depth and quality for under-invest since SAF and badly management by Moyes & LVG. Therefore it's reasonable we don't have much to sell, even when Mourinho maintains a slim squad.

City can sell someone like Kelechi for 30 mil may look positive for their netspend. We don't have that benefit since our squad doesn't have surplus to sell. People here hated Lingard. Howver, without hindsight of his recent form, we can't just sell him since we don't have option if our plan A fails; and it indeed failed in reality

Last edited:

Theonas

Scout

I think most players would choose City over PSG if the money was equal. Ligue 1 is hardly illustrious.
I think Manchester plays a factor there. Paris is simply more attractive especially to Latin and Mediterranean players. Rumours were that Alves picked City at the end because his wife preferred living in Paris. Having said that, it really doesn't make sense pretending that there is an order of attraction among clubs. Players are human beings and they have different priorities on which they base these decisions. For every one looking for the glamour of Paris, there will be another attracted to working with the City manager above all else. I think what we can agree on is that money, the chance to win major trophies, playing style and the base city, in no particular order, are the major factors at play when players make those decisions.

tomaldinho1

You seem to have disregarded all my points and just replied to the last part. My point being if the money is the same (assuming there won't be much difference between two massively oil rich club's packages) I think most players from Continental Europe or Latin America would choose Paris over Manchester, an easier league (almost guaranteed titles every year) which should allow for a better CL campaign, plus a winter break.

Then you have to factor in the fact that, should a player seriously consider a move in the UK, a club like Chelsea can often provide a very viable option as well. London has huge appeal to a lot of non British players and whilst the salary probably won't be exactly the same as at City - they're the most successful EPL team of recent times, defending PL champions and not exactly short of cash themselves.

Guardian: United bid £25M for Sanchez

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

Getting used by Sanchez's agents to hurry the City deal up, no doubt.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
It's Davinson, not Alexis. Need him for our 6-3-1 formation.

AndyJ1985

I fail to see the point in us showing any interest. The time for that was in the summer before City started putting in the ground work to sign him.

red4ever 79

Sometimes along comes a player who you just know would take your team up a level. Sanchez is one of those and Utd should be doing everything in their power to sign him. However I do believe he has agreed to join City a long time ago

Castia

It’s nailed on he signs for city but I’m amazed we wasn’t in for or even linked with him earlier he’s exactly the type of player we need, be it playing through the middle or out wide.

Thecarrickfan_2016

I doubt it's going to happen, We're might be getting used by his agent to get his move to Man City in my opinion.

VanGaalEra

It's weird how Di Marzio has tweeted that from his account like that, normally waits for the end of the day and does it through his site.

Perhaps wanted it out there before anyone else.

SirAF

Ageist
It's weird how Di Marzio has tweeted that from his account like that, normally waits for the end of the day and does it through his site.

Perhaps wanted it out there before anyone else.
I'm conflicted. Do I tug or not?

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan

Di marzio's Full story-
Market derby in Manchester developed in the last hours, with Alexis Sanchez object of desire of Mourinho and Guardiola. The Chilean, former Barcelona and Udinese, seemed ready to return to the court of the Spanish coach after the year he lived in Blaugrana, before the Red Devils entered the negotiations in a disruptive way. The definitive agreement, now one step away from being achieved on the basis of a decidedly full-bodied engagement, began to falter when Mourinho made contact with Arséne Wenger, putting the Mkhitaryan contract on the plate. The Armenian exterior, particularly appreciated by Arsenal as a counterpart, could therefore end up in London if the difficulties in its engagement are overcome, for which the parties are still far away. In the event of the finalization of the agreement between United and Gunners, Inter would also be displaced, having been interested in Mkhitaryan for some time now.

SirAF

Ageist
VanGaalEra

From Di Marzio site, Mkhi offered to Arsenal.

On Sanchez the United falls, market derby in Manchester

Market Derby in Manchester developed in the last hours, with Alexis Sanchezobject of desire of Mourinho and Guardiola. The Chilean, former Barcelona and Udinese, seemed ready to return to the court of the Spanish coach after the year he lived in Blaugrana, before the Red Devils entered the negotiations in a disruptive way. The definitive agreement, now one step away from being achieved on the basis of a decidedly full-bodied engagement, began to falter when Mourinho made contact with Arséne Wenger, putting the Mkhitaryan contract on the plate. The Armenian exterior, particularly appreciated by Arsenal as a counterpart, could therefore end up in London if the difficulties in its engagement are overcome, for which the parties are still far away. In the event of the finalization of the agreement between United and Gunners, Inter would also be displaced, having been interested in Mkhitaryan for some time now.

Status
Not open for further replies.