Alexis Sanchez | Done deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
7 hours to register him to put him on the bench against burnley. Looks like he wont be playing for us this weekend unless they have got this through overnight.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
The main sticking point for the transfer is Mino Raiola, hes probably holding it up so he gets more of a commission from the deal.

NK86

Hey, Oldham fan here. Got a few questions for a few of you.

1. Is Alexis Sanchez worth the wages that are being offered to Manchester United, and how will that have an impact on future transfer windows- if let's say his wages stop United from landing a top target like Bale who would command a similar wage?

2. Would any players be offloaded to fund this deal? Where does this leave Juan Mata, with the current contract situation, will he have to leave?

3. Was this transfer, worth it just to stop City and Pep from further pulling away? Are there not other younger targets who United could have got on less wages/more value for money, or is it worth it to United to act now before he moved to City?

4. Where do some of you think Sanchez will play and who will come out of the side for him?

5. Who would you want United to target in the summer to go alongside Sanchez? How many players will be brought in? Does this mean Griezmann isn't a target and will City/Chelsea move for him instead? If he signed for either one, how would you feel about that?

6. What do you think Sanchez will bring to the team and for the rest of the season? Will his impact help you catch City?

Personally I think it's a gamble but it's a gamble worth taking due to the current situation United are in, and looking at City- they're flying and adding Sanchez would be even worse for everyone else in the league. So I think United needed to act now- whatever the price.
I am not in a position to answer most of your queries but I would really like to know why do you feel it's a gamble? It's not like he is an unknown quantity or another player coming from an inferior league who may or may not adapt to the PL. He is as proven as they come.

In terms of is targeting younger players who will give better returns on investments, you do need to realize the days of getting top quality young players on the cheap is over for now unless you find a hidden gem which no other team knows about (something which is unlikely in this day and age). The likes of Mbappe and Dembele have gone for eye watering amounts based on 1 season's performance. So despite what the media would have you believe this deal for Sanchez is great for United both financially as well as on the pitch.

Denis79

Welcome!

1. Is Alexis Sanchez worth the wages that are being offered to Manchester United, and how will that have an impact on future transfer windows- if let's say his wages stop United from landing a top target like Bale who would command a similar wage?

Top players cost top money, wages aren't really a problem since we have among the lowest wages in the PL in percent compared to our turnover. We can probably have a few more Sanchez on the payroll without any problem. Media are making this deal look like after we sign him we're skint, which is far from the truth. We'll probably spend 200M+ this summer even with Sanchez.

2. Would any players be offloaded to fund this deal? Where does this leave Juan Mata, with the current contract situation, will he have to leave?

Mkhi was offloaded for this deal and we'll probably lose Zlatan and Carrick at the end of the season, both on high wages.

3. Was this transfer, worth it just to stop City and Pep from further pulling away? Are there not other younger targets who United could have got on less wages/more value for money, or is it worth it to United to act now before he moved to City?

For me it was worth it because we need top players to compete for the title, that we screwed City is just a bonus. We got him for almost nothing looking at what a player he is and h'es only a month older than Mkhitaryan.

4. Where do some of you think Sanchez will play and who will come out of the side for him?

Either behind Lukaku or on the right wing, maybe even as striker if Lukaku is injured, resting etc.

5. Who would you want United to target in the summer to go alongside Sanchez? How many players will be brought in? Does this mean Griezmann isn't a target and will City/Chelsea move for him instead? If he signed for either one, how would you feel about that?

Wouldn't need Greizmann if we get Sanchez, think most on here feel we need a partner for Pogba so he gets more freedom. Don't really care where Greizmann goes as long as it's not Liverpool.

6. What do you think Sanchez will bring to the team and for the rest of the season? Will his impact help you catch City?

I rate Sanchez very highly, some wont but I personally think he'll produce alot of chances and goals for us opening more space for our other attackers. No way we're catching City this year but watch out next season!

Personally I think it's a gamble but it's a gamble worth taking due to the current situation United are in, and looking at City- they're flying and adding Sanchez would be even worse for everyone else in the league. So I think United needed to act now- whatever the price.

Last edited:

Gasolin

Welcome!

Yes, definitely worth it as he's eligible for the Champions League games, and since Mkhitaryan is going the other way around, the gap is not that big for United.

So far, there is no need to offload someone, only Mkhitaryan is expected to go the other way.
Mata will be in competition with all those players but he still has good games and will have his chances.

United has plenty of young prospects already: Martial, Rashford, Lingard, McTomminay, Fosu-Mensah... Pogba, Shaw, Lukaku and even De Gea are not that old too. So what United needed was a star player if they were to go for a January transfer target, which does not happen often anyway.

Sanchez, in my opinion, will play on the right like when he was at Udinese or Barcelona.
Or sometimes behind Lukaku maybe.
I do not expect him to move Martial as he is basically our brightest talent on the pitch upfront, and on par with Pogba in term of potential.

This question will induce a personal answer for each fan, but in my case, if Sanchez is here, Griezmann does not need to come. Plus, the whole story last summer left a bitter taste anyway and the #7 would now be taken.
A player to go would be Ozil or any other player that can help Pogba enforce a better control of the midfield and create dangerous situations during attacks.
Griezmann is expected to go to Barcelona. He's not a big fan of the weather in the UK anyway.
If Griezmann signed at City, I would be disappointed and hurt because he chose a club over United, however small in comparison.
Chelsea, not so bothered.

A winning mentality, the technical ability to provide dangerous balls and to score when required.
But no, you do not catch up a 12 points gap in January unless City has food poisoning every week-end.
The C1 would be a good trophy to have though.

Every player is a gamble unfortunately. Exchanging Mkhitaryan for Sanchez is an exceptionally good business, and only possible because of his particular contractual situation.

SammyUnited_83

7 hours to register him to put him on the bench against burnley. Looks like he wont be playing for us this weekend unless they have got this through overnight.
No way this is done before midday. He would have to have medical at 9ish and unless he and mhiki have already travelled that ain't gonna happen.

Will drag into late next week.

kitress

The main sticking point for the transfer is Mino Raiola, hes probably holding it up so he gets more of a commission from the deal.
Or it could be United marketing. They love a good cheesy unveiling and doing so takes time.

M4YON

No way this is done before midday. He would have to have medical at 9ish and unless he and mhiki have already travelled that ain't gonna happen.

He could already be in Manchester and we wouldnt know until he arrives at Carrington so it is still possible besides it only takes an 1-2 max to get a helicopter/private jet up from london.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
This was supposed to be mata, schweinsteiger ibra and now Sanchez
Berbatov comes to mind too. Mainly because he was a moody striker who looked like he couldn't be arsed, so the press ran with it.

Thomasvo

Today is D-DAY! Or A-DAY if you want.
Fingers crossed he signs in time so he can play v Burnley!

SammyUnited_83

He could already be in Manchester and we wouldnt know until he arrives at Carrington so it is still possible besides it only takes an 1-2 max to get a helicopter/private jet up from london.
Unless they have both already travelled this ain't getting done before midday.

prath92

Berbatov comes to mind too. Mainly because he was a moody striker who looked like he couldn't be arsed, so the press ran with it.
True. Mata was because we bought a rival’s best player, schweinsteiger because he was once world class and ibra because he is also an arrogant striker.

prath92

Sanchez is joining a better squad than any of those 3 did. IMO this signing along with the right addition in CM this summer an RB to deputize for Valencia and perhaps an LB dependong on Shaw are the final pieces required to give the ideal balance in the side.
We thought the exact same thing when we signed those players though (except mata possibly). That our team is finally complete.

AR87

We thought the exact same thing when we signed those players though (except mata possibly). That our team is finally complete.
Maybe you did, but I didn't, definitely not with Mata or Schweinsteiger. And no, when we signed those players I don't think most people felt as certain about the positive trajectory of the core of players on the team as we do now.

In fact, I remember many voicing concerns over BFS and Ibra specifically due to age, athleticism and moving to a better and higher intensity league at an older age. Ibra's playing style and BFS' significant injury history leading up to his transfer were also points of contention. These are much less of an issue with regards to Sanchez joining the current United squad.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire

1. Possibly. Clearly we're willing to pay him, but is any player ever worth the wages they earn? We're also losing some high earners, so I don't think we're stretching ourselves to thin. I also doubt the press has the correct figure. When you talk about value and worth, they're something that you can only really answer after time. We spent £25m on a player with only a year on his contract and only really got one great season out of him, which doesn't really sound good, but you try finding someone on here who doesn't think RvP was value for money.

2. We definitely don't need to sell to buy. We do need to sell to get rid of some of the 'dead wood'. That's a strong word, but there are a few players that are not worth keeping.

3. It's nice beating them to a signing (fingers crossed), but it's more than that. We already have young players that we're waiting on reaching their potential. We need more experience and quality up top. Ever since it started to become clear Sanchez wasn't going to renew his contract I've thought he'd be a great signing for us and was gutted he looked nailed on for City.

4. I hope he's not going to replace Martial on the left so I'll say on behind Lukaku. I think the Sanchez/Mkhi swap is not just an off-the-field thing. Sure, Lingard has been in great form recently, but it could just as easily be a purple patch so you don't pass up the chance to sign a player of Sanchez's calibre.

5. I really like the look of Dybala so I'll stick his name out there even though I'm not sure it would make the most sense. I think a RW with more pace is needed, another CM would be preferable, and we need to do something with our FBs (I'm not sure we need to buy guaranteed starters at FB if Mourinho is satisfied that Valencia and Shaw can do the job next season, but we need to have better options there). Not overly fussed about Griezmann, although I'm not sure I'd be quite so indifferent if he signed for a rival.

6. Catching City is a pipe dream at the moment. His signing is mainly for next season, but I do expect him to have a relatively instant impact on the team. On paper, there's no way we're not a better team with him. Can he helps us have a proper push for the CL? I doubt it. I think we still have limitations against the best teams and it's going to take more than one signing to address that.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I'm not a doctor, but he's one of my fave United players already.

Always feel that we lacked this spark in attack. He's like the sprinkles to my ice cream.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Fergie's squad lost the title to Mancity, He signed Arsenal's best player and won the league the season after.
Mourinho's squad are now second to Mancity, He signs Arsenal's best player and...?

What do you think would happen?
a. I'm so glad you joined us
b. Say what???
c. Can I talk to you, Pep?

DevilsOwn

"Rumors gather, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until Alexi7 signs. I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear « Scouse Lover tags », but no clothes and yet wank no more. I shall live and die at the transfer thread. I am the twitter poster in the darkness. I am the F5-er on the walls. I am the muppetter that guards the cafeites from ABUs. I pledge my life and honor to the Transfer Thread, for this transfer and all the transfer to come."

―The Transfer Muppets oath

(Blatantly ripped of from the Night's Watch oath - GoT)

manunited1919

1a - worth every cent
1b - will replace ibra wages, so no effect on future transfer windows.
1c - who wants Bale anyway

2a - Mhiki offload. It’s a straight swap.
2b - Mata, Lingard, Martial & Rashford will need to rotate more, just as they would if Mhiki were in form or Ibra recovered.
2c - United can and will trigger one year extension for Mata, they won’t want to lose him on a free.

3 - United is doing the transfer because it’s a great oportunity to add a world-class player to the squad, in a position we need to improve. Nothing to do with City.

4a - He can and will play different positions across the front 4, even as a striker or second striker. I hope he plays behind Lukaku or towards tge RHS, with Fernando freedom to roam.
4b - Mata, Lingard, Martial will all need to rotate more, in that order.

5a - Dybala, a midfielder, and possibly a rightback.
5b - If Fellaini extends, 3 players. If he leaves, we need 4.
5c - Griezman could go to Barsa. But he might also want to play alongside Pogba. I don’t care too much about Griezman.

6a - He brings tenacity and strong character to our attack, which we can always use. He is a 3rd world class player to our squad, which lifts the whole team ip.
6b - For the rest of season, it makes us contenders to go deep into the Champions League.
6c - Don’t really see City collapsing this season at all, but if they do, we will give them a fight.

Once again, this transfer is about what’s best for United, not about City.

kotha

Ok guys let's go!!

How much time left to register him for our next game? 5 hours??

suhaylah

Predicted in another thread that today is the day that Alexis will sign. So hopefully, we won't have to wait any longer.

GM K

Today is D-DAY! Or A-DAY if you want.
Fingers crossed he signs in time so he can play v Burnley!
Feels like those sci-fi movies where a guy keeps waking up and experiencing exactly the same thing day after day. I could have sworn I read this same post yesterday and the day before and the day before. For like a week now.

Antonedwin

1. is there any cheaper top player we can possibly get in this inflated market ? sanchez is the cheapest top player available right now, he literally cost the same with our flop henrik , so i don't care if he is getting +350k. Media wrote about us spending 180m on him when it's straight swap, no money involves, wage has never been calculated and added to transfer fee like this before , this is just because we are united and people are salty
how much do you think media will write if we were getting bale instead ?
"United spending 500m for 29 years old crook" that's what people going to talk about for months

2. Mkhi is offloaded, zlatan is probably gone as well, mata can stay here and compete

3. see the answer number 1 , no top player available that are cheaper than sanchez currently, it's not about city
dybala, griezmann , bale, mbappe, kane etc are all will cost us ridiculous money

4. he will be on front 4, swapping position with everyone there during the match.. there will be an instance where he will be on the middle and lukaku on the right, or him swapping position with martial and lingard

5. perreira, tfm and tuanzebe, get ozil for free and 1 carrick replacement

6. a more entertaining football and more goals

Last edited:

midnightmare

This was supposed to be mata, schweinsteiger ibra and now Sanchez
Very different situation. Forget the squads.
Mata - joined a clearly declining team under a never-was manager. Wasn't what we needed at all. We needed to replace our defence and midfield and instead signed a lightweight player that a major rival wanted shot of.
Schweinsteiger - joined from a team that wanted him gone on account of injuries. There were several doubts about him because of his injury record and sadly, those were proved justified. Had he been fit, who knows?
Ibra - was supposed to be a short-term talisman for a squad that needed a massive rebuild. Did just that I would argue. Scored for us to keep us going in a season that would otherwise have been a complete washout and disaster.

Alexis - joining a team clearly on the up under a manager that has what it takes, knows what he wants and has a history or liking tough, driven and ultra-competitive players (like Alexis) who don't want a minute's rest (unlike a German we had who spent most of his time holidaying with a tennis-playing girlfriend while injured).

Berba - different era. And we won. He was not required the way we needed Cantona at the time or the way we need Alexis now.

muller

Hopefully both players have already flown/travelled to Manchester/London respectively over the night, are now sleeping away in the respective hotels awaiting the morning when things can start moving again. Please get this past the line before 12pm!
Unless they’ve held their medicals already, it’s no going to happen. Medicals can take 6 hours, so they would need to have started at 5am to allow time for document submission.

Never know, could have been done before they travelled.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Feels like those sci-fi movies where a guy keeps waking up and experiencing exactly the same thing day after day. I could have sworn I read this same post yesterday and the day before and the day before. For like a week now.
It's Groundhog Day!

muller

Medicals are more like a 6 hour thing. They used to conduct Stokes, Crewe’s and others at Manchester Met Unis Cheshire Campus when I went there.

Berbalicious

Is today going to be the day? :drool::drool:

My new F5 button is installed, and ready for today's happenings!

Status
Not open for further replies.