Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nighteyes

Another Muppet
I also don't believe we lost because Herrera went off, but there was a clear missing link between midfield and attack, which Herrera was providing more than Blind, Carrick and Fellaini.
I'm a big Herrera fan but that's not how I saw it. Pretty much everything good we did going forward in the 1st half came on the back of either Rooney, Di Maria or Fellaini. Herrera was fairly invisible.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the 2nd half performance until Valencia fecked up. We were a LOT more solid and Fellaini even set up Di Maria for a good chance right before they scored.

For some reason we panicked after they scored and resorted to hoofballing for the rest of the game which seems to have skewed people's perception of the 2nd half.

I'm as big a LVG critic as any but the Carrick-Herrera sub made perfect sense.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
That's how I'd read that bit of the tweet. Luckhurst seems to feel that a Blind/Carrick midfield isn't dynamic enough to challenge Arsenal. Not sure that's wrong. Blind did not play well last night, seemed to get lost by the pace of the game, and in the second half just got sucked deeper and deeper.

Still, the first point, that the Herrera substitution was tactical is what stands out.

If the Herrera sub was tactical it was because Van Gaal decided that instead of playing to win, he wanted to ensure we didn't lose. Had Moyes made a similar substitution Old Trafford would have groaned at the sight of it. Van Gaal is using his reputation to ride out ridiculous decisions.

I was no lover of Moyes, everyone knows that, but I know for a fact that if he was doing the kind of stuff Van Gaal has been doing he'd be getting slaughtered. Why is what's good for the goose not good for the gander when it comes to Van Gaal? Sometimes it feels like people were more willing to criticise Fergie for playing Sheasy and Smudge in midfield than to criticise Van Gaal for his bizarre tactical changes.
It was his usual cowardly substitution. Rather get a draw.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It was his usual cowardly substitution. Rather get a draw.
It wasn't cowardly at all. Van Gaal recognised the threat Young and Di Maria were causing and wanted to get Carrick on so he could use his range of passing to get them on the ball more regularly and hopefully in behind the defence.

That showed by exactly how Carrick operated, spraying the ball to them where possible. It was a sensible tactical move that was also designed to sure us up defensively. Nothing wrong with that when playing a good side like Arsenal.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I'm a big Herrera fan but that's not how I saw it. Pretty much everything good we did going forward in the 1st half came on the back of either Rooney, Di Maria or Fellaini. Herrera was fairly invisible.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the 2nd half performance until Valencia fecked up. We were a LOT more solid and Fellaini even set up Di Maria for a good chance right before they scored.

For some reason we panicked after they scored and resorted to hoofballing for the rest of the game which seems to have skewed people's perception of the 2nd half.

I'm as big a LVG critic as any but the Carrick-Herrera sub made perfect sense.
Herrera was poor in the first half but - a) he was one of the few players actually putting himself about / challenging and b) we played approximately 2 forward thinking passes from midfield, and both of them came from him... Blind was having an equally poor time, but he can't make up for it with simply getting around the pitch like Herrera can. And, as soon as you take him off you lose the legs in midfield (Carrick & Blind is the opposite of legs... its arms... or something) and it showed.

DomesticTadpole

It wasn't cowardly at all. Van Gaal recognised the threat Young and Di Maria were causing and wanted to get Carrick on so he could use his range of passing to get them on the ball more regularly and hopefully in behind the defence.

That showed by exactly how Carrick operated, spraying the ball to them where possible. It was a sensible tactical move that was also designed to sure us up defensively. Nothing wrong with that when playing a good side like Arsenal.
We lost, so it didn't work. The defensive side is down to him. There must have been better defenders out there than we have. He insists on using Valencia and ignores Rafael. We have never had injury problems at LB, now we have Shaw. Smalling/Jones and Evans are all an accident waiting to happen. He will have to get rid of at least 3 of the CB's in the summer. He presumed his genius would get us Top 4. If we lose on Sunday, he can forget that.

iammemphis

iwillnotaskforanamechangeagain
He was no poorer then anyone else in that team thats what my problem was. I thought he looked quick on the ball personally and looked to move it quickly too creating space for other players.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout

It wasn't cowardly, but it took our legs from us in midfield.

It also used two substitutions at 45 minutes, when we really only needed to use one (but then he does have a substituting full-backs fetish... that was probably just one for the wank bank).

DomesticTadpole

Herrera was poor in the first half but - a) he was one of the few players actually putting himself about / challenging and b) we played approximately 2 forward thinking passes from midfield, and both of them came from him... Blind was having an equally poor time, but he can't make up for it with simply getting around the pitch like Herrera can. And, as soon as you take him off you lose the legs in midfield (Carrick & Blind is the opposite of legs... its arms... or something) and it showed.
He is going to play Blind until he will barely be able to walk. Carrick will be injured more than being fit. He was that obsessed with Strootman that he hasn't given Blind and Herrera the protective presence they need with them. Fellaini certainly isn't it.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
I find it weird that people criticize him for not being offensive threat. He’s job in 4-4-2 is to protect the defense and give the ball to our attacking players. He isn’t very good in 2 man midfield, but you really can’t blame him for not being creative and playing it safe because it’s clear that’s why he is playing so regularly. That’s what van Gaal wants.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Few lads at the game saying that Giggs was berating him 3 or 4 times for not being close enough to cazorla.
That would make sense. Unfortunately for Herrera and for me.

My trouble is I actually enjoyed the first half. It was faster, sharper than we've looked in ages and there was a proper match going on. The subs and the halftime pep talk changed things. To LvG that may have meant we were more controlled, to me it just looked like we were slower, and more predictable.

Count Orduck

Few lads at the game saying that Giggs was berating him 3 or 4 times for not being close enough to cazorla.
There was a moment on the sideline where the camera picked up Giggs bellowing "Ander! Ander! ANDER!" to get his attention. He sounded annoyed, like it wasn't the first time he'd had to!

BringNaniBack

Leaves a bullshit trail behind him
That's because he was poor. He doesn't need to do what Valencia did to be poor. I hate this "he did nothing wrong" comment that gets thrown about anytime a CAF darling has a mare.
Ok I have been pulled up on the "did nothing wrong part" by two of you. IMO he was having a decent game and taking him off was a big mistake. Even if he wasn't having a good game the way we set up in the second half was all wrong, we literally had nothing in midfield at all and taking Herrera off caused that. Blind "does nothing wrong" every game but nothing good either and most of the forum seem to rate him so highly when his is a basic average DM who should be nothing more than back up for DM and LB.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
He's the only player we've had this season to successfully link midfield and attack.

Without him out there we never look like scoring. More like watching Chelsea than United.

LonelyFire

That would make sense. Unfortunately for Herrera and for me.

My trouble is I actually enjoyed the first half. It was faster, sharper than we've looked in ages and there was a proper match going on. The subs and the halftime pep talk changed things. To LvG that may have meant we were more controlled, to me it just looked like we were slower, and more predictable.
Not just you mate - all of us!!

Sylar

Wasnt great first half but was getting better towards the end of it. Momentum seemed with us after the equaliser.
Thought it was a mistake subbing him rather than Blind though. Blind was all over the place first half and bringing on Carrick for Herrera instead of Blind pretty much killed the link between midfield and attack!

legball

He's the only player we've had this season to successfully link midfield and attack.

Without him out there we never look like scoring. More like watching Chelsea than United.
Surely you're not referring to the current Chelsea or United sides?

Man Utd 3:0 Tottenham

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He's been immaculate in possession against Spurs so far. His dynamism and energy has been a big part of why we've been able to press so pro-actively. Also linked with Mata telepathically at times. Gets up and down, does his bit (as always). Nothing to dislike.

Castia

I really like his work rate, he's always closing his man down and getting his foot in and going forward he's quality, shame he got called offside because he would probably have an assist to his name as well.

ottosec

I thought he had a really good game. Seemed to be playing more advanced than in the last few games.

Ringo 07

He's finally starting to show signs of the player we hoped he could become....very tidy performance.....Herrera coming into form at the right time gives us a real chance of grabbing a top 4 finish

Devil may care

Quietly efficient game from him, played his role well between Carrick and Rooney but saw less of it in attack as we went down the other channel most of the time.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Pass and move. Complements Carrick's style so well and balances the team.
That's what annoyed me on Monday when he was taken off at half-time. He definitely works better with one of Carrick or Blind than the two of them work together.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Would be interested to see his stats but seemed like he had quiet some interceptions today. A very lively and energetic display and he and Mata are just great together

Ekeke

Would be interested to see his stats but seemed like he had quiet some interceptions today. A very lively and energetic display and he and Mata are just great together
6 tackles, 4 interceptions. Our main ball winner today by a fair distance. Valencia 5 tackles and 1 interception, both CBs and Blind with 3 of each

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
6 tackles, 4 interceptions. Our main ball winner today by a fair distance. Valencia 5 tackles and 1 interception, both CBs and Blind with 3 of each
Thanks, that are quite good numbers. He had a wonderful game I thought and due to his quick movement and passing, we are able to move the ball quickly

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
Made both the most tackles and the most interceptions in the team, made the most passes and had the second highest pass completion %. He's involved in so much even when he's not doing much creatively. Still think van Gaal's biggest balls-up so far is taking so long to recognise Herrera's importance in this team.

kundalini

I thought he was excellent; only real criticism is that his two shots went wide in the 2nd half.

Status
Not open for further replies.