6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

legball

It's clear that he's defensive game has improved, clearly he's playing to instructions.

RooneyLegend

Can pass it better, if he'd done so that would be a 10/10 performance, guess he'll have to settle for 9/10. Wonderful stuff.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
He's always been good defensively. I really can't see why he hasn't been playing all season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Made both the most tackles and the most interceptions in the team, made the most passes and had the second highest pass completion %. He's involved in so much even when he's not doing much creatively. Still think van Gaal's biggest balls-up so far is taking so long to recognise Herrera's importance in this team.
This. I just think back to Monday's half time sub and think to myself we'd be winning the F.A. Cup this season if it never happened, we were well on top at the end of the first half.

Favourite Herrera moment today, the slide tackle and then scooped pass off the floor to Mata. Composure.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
This. I just think back to Monday's half time sub and think to myself we'd be winning the F.A. Cup this season if it never happened, we were well on top at the end of the first half.

Favourite Herrera moment today, the slide tackle and then scooped pass off the floor to Mata. Composure.

Those are good numbers. Still amazed he was subbed against Arsenal.

Zoo

Really good today I was surprised Neville didn't mention him, he was going through so much work.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Made both the most tackles and the most interceptions in the team, made the most passes and had the second highest pass completion %. He's involved in so much even when he's not doing much creatively. Still think van Gaal's biggest balls-up so far is taking so long to recognise Herrera's importance in this team.
You don't think Herrera has improved as the season's gone on? I do. Still gets out of position occasionally but generally much more aware of his defensive chores than he was when he started. Hence he's racking up interceptions now, as well as tackles.

m1y2

Clearly the most important player in the team, he links everything everywhere on the pitch, great numbers mentioned above. The thing I like the most about him is his sliding tackles, you can see he wants to win the ball for the team. He deserved a goal for his complete MOTM performance, he was edged by Carrick, Fellaini and Smalling..

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
You don't think Herrera has improved as the season's gone on? I do. Still gets out of position occasionally but generally much more aware of his defensive chores than he was when he started. Hence he's racking up interceptions now, as well as tackles.
This. I wasn't a fan of Herrera before these last few games. He used to be indiscipline; all action and getting stuck in, just like seeing the young Gerrard in CM.

Kudos to his willingness to learn and adapt. Now he is more intelligent with the ball, more restrictive with his passing and going forward, but still make an impact to the fluidity of the team play, as a good CM supposed to do.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Brilliant today. I just love how quickly he does things. The first time passes, the split second touches/decision making, it adds something we sorely lack.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Loved that. Great tackle it was too. Didn't expect that pass to follow. Supreme.

We look better when he plays. We have an actual midfield, and he can do things quickly. Like Carrick, he's usually already picked his pass before he even gets the ball, but he has a more attacking head on his shoulders. Hard to believe we had a spell where he couldn't get on the pitch.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Now he has improved his defensive game, he looks like a proper all-round midfielder. Only thing that is lacking is long passing. Not sure he can’t do it or it isn’t part of the philosophy.

He’s also very reliable player, always delivers. I reckon he’s one of our most important players and still improving.

justboy68

I very much agree with you. Playing Rooney out of position to try and squeeze Falcao and Van Persie in would be the other big one but you can at least understand why you'd try to do that. I think Herrera has been extremely good in his appearances for his first season in English football. Offers us so much in the middle and makes us play better as a team.

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Just love watching him play, he sets the tempo of the team perfectly. The way he keeps the ball under pressure is great.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Now he has improved his defensive game, he looks like a proper all-round midfielder. Only thing that is lacking is long passing. Not sure he can’t do it or it isn’t part of the philosophy.

He’s also very reliable player, always delivers. I reckon he’s one of our most important players and still improving.
I remember reading an interview with Herrera where he mentions that long passing is something he needs to work on.
Fantastic today, complete performance from him.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Yep agree with that.

The Law of Denis

This guy is built for Champions League football. It would be such an incredible shame if we do not get into the Champions League next season. I can see him really kicking on and being in team of the year next year

Brightonian

He's always been good defensively. I really can't see why he hasn't been playing all season.
As far as I'm concerned he's basically been the same player all season, and for some reason it just took Van Gaal six months to get comfortable with the idea of him as a regular starter. I don't care though - he's a starter now, and that's what matters.

I love how he's able to go into a tackle knowing he won't be first to the ball, but still be the one to win it. He reads the opponent's intentions and positions himself to make the block, rather than trying in vain to get to the ball first. He's also got the knack of sliding in such a way that he can be back on his feet instantly to gather up the loose ball.

rooney1905

As far as I'm concerned he's basically been the same player all season, and for some reason it just took Van Gaal six months to get comfortable with the idea of him as a regular starter. I don't care though - he's a starter now, and that's what matters.

I love how he's able to go into a tackle knowing he won't be first to the ball, but still be the one to win it. He reads the opponent's intentions and positions himself to make the block, rather than trying in vain to get to the ball first. He's also got the knack of sliding in such a way that he can be back on his feet instantly to gather up the loose ball.
Agreed. It's not like he's changed his game drastically to start being played in the side. It was evident very early on that he was going to be a good player for us and one of our best midfielders. I still not convinced LvG is fully on board yet. Once Shaw or Rojo are back I'd imagine Blind goes back to midfield. Then LvG has to make some decisions. At the moment I would drop Blind or Fellaini to keep Herrera in the side. He really is a fantastic player. Some people have to remember this is his first season in the EPL. So yes there is a learning curve but he has come on far better than any of our other first season players bar maybe Blind.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
He's my favorite United player.

Yes, he has a lot that he can improve on, but I really think he is a great all round midfielder.

He can play as a deep-lying playmaker, as well as further up the pitch and is not scared to put in a challenge.

Brightonian

Agreed. It's not like he's changed his game drastically to start being played in the side. It was evident very early on that he was going to be a good player for us and one of our best midfielders. I still not convinced LvG is fully on board yet. Once Shaw or Rojo are back I'd imagine Blind goes back to midfield. Then LvG has to make some decisions. At the moment I would drop Blind or Fellaini to keep Herrera in the side. He really is a fantastic player. Some people have to remember this is his first season in the EPL. So yes there is a learning curve but he has come on far better than any of our other first season players bar maybe Blind.
Yep. I'm a big fan of Blind but he has to be in competition with Carrick, not with Herrera. If LVG wants Carrick in the starting XI then it's clearly Blind who has to make way (either to the bench or into LB like today.)

I reckon Rojo, when fit, is first choice with Smalling, narrowly ahead of Jones. As for Shaw, I like him but at the moment I doubt LVG would start him at LB ahead of Blind, and given how solid Blind has been there recently, I wouldn't argue.

Nice problems to have, anyway.

Shark

@NotShark
The club didn't fork out 30m on this guy for nothing, he's a talent. It takes some foreign players longer to settle than others, and he's starting to find his pace now. Next season he'll be brilliant.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
I do think he's improved since the beginning of the season. He's more positionally disciplined as you say and he seems to be pushed off the ball a lot less now, and generally he seems more settled, but I think he's generally been one of our best players in almost every game he's played right from the start.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
So one game we're all complaining that Van Gaal has changed his game, the next we're saying he's always played this way. Make your mind up, redcafe.
I think he played a riskier game earlier on as part of the diamond, which made us fluid but a bit less solid, and also affected his defensive stats (obviously) and his edge in attack positively. I still maintain that he was still, on balance, our best CM back then, just playing a different role.

As one of the two CM's in this formation he's tweaked his game and he's still a brilliant little player.

I will never understand Van Gaal and his reasoning for benching Herrera in favour of playing people like Rooney, Mata or Fellaini in CM. I also will never understand those who didn't see his qualities earlier on, even though he did play a different game.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
I do think he's improved since the beginning of the season. He's more positionally disciplined as you say and he seems to be pushed off the ball a lot less now, and generally he seems more settled, but I think he's generally been one of our best players in almost every game he's played right from the start.
Yup. My thoughts excactly.

He misplaced more passes when playing a riskier game. Got more assists and goals for it, though, so it depends on instructions, formations and roles. Still been one of our best players in most of the matches he's played.

Status
Not open for further replies.