g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });
Ander Herrera image 21

Ander Herrera Spain flag

2014-15 Performances

View full 2014-15 profile

6.4 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Yeah, I have no issues with Ander and think he has been good thus far. It takes time to gel. Whilst the #8 is indeed his preferred position, we do have to remember he was playing #10 all of last season, it's difficult to reaccustom yourself to new positions, even if it's one you've held before.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
During the last international break Del Bosque mentioned Herrera was very close to making the squad before he got injured. He will eventually be a full Spain international however I would not expect him to become the kind of player that slows down the game. Its not his style.

Herrera's game is about getting forward and looking for through balls. He's direct, provides running, plays touch football nicely, can be a goal threat and likes a tackle. There's a reason he was compared to Steven Gerrard in the past. Herrera will be a good, perhaps great, player for us. However, I wouldn't expect him to turn into Xavi or Pirlo.
Absolutely. One of the reasons that he was sometimes criticised in Spain was that he's not got that same metronome running in his head that Xavi/Busquets etc possess. He's not really the player you look to, to slow a game down - he's the one you might look to, to keep the pressure up. It's no coincidence that some of his best performances have come in backs-to-the-wall scraps for Athletic against teams like Barcelona.

Valverde played him a #10 (not a Ozil 10, the other kind) using those instincts. He's also played in a more defensive way under Bielsa curtailing them! I think he's actually ideally suited to the PL and us, he just needs time to understand his role and his teammates.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Yeah, I have no issues with Ander and think he has been good thus far. It takes time to gel. Whilst the #8 is indeed his preferred position, we do have to remember he was playing #10 all of last season, it's difficult to reaccustom yourself to new positions, even if it's one you've held before.
Yeah, I've been fairly pleased with him so far. He played well against QPR and given some more time to settle into the team and his position, he'll hopefully keep improving for us and keep getting better. Hopefully...

Kostur

海尔的老板
Simply immense. That second goal is thanks to him. Amount of work by him is fantastic, all the movement he makes on the pitch off bal is calculated to create space and positions for his team mates.

Devil may care

Best player on the pitch in the first half, true box to box CM, has linked well with Rafael and covered him, plus I think he's just been a bit calmer in possession than he was last week, looking to control the game more.

izec

again best player on the pitch. Always available, defensively tackling, linking up with the forwards and Rafael.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I love being right about a player, and Herrera's performances are justifying my anger at our failure to sign him last summer. Thank God we managed to get Herrera in this summer. He's adding so much to our midfield right now. A large part of why our diamond can work is because of the ground Herrera covers and the tackles he makes, his ball use aint bad either!

DevilRed

Brilliant player. He truly is box to box.

What a tackle to make the second goal too. It was basically him winning the ball back that got us into that goalscoring position.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Exactly what we need(ed). He has btw always averaged around 2.5 to 4.0 tackles per game, no matter if he played deeper in midfield or as a 10. I wouldn't actually be surprised if NONE of our players in the last few years has acchieved to match his tackling stats. Brilliant allround player.

footballgirl07

Out of all our new players, I love this guy the most! Really hope it is not a bad injury. I said in matchday thread, him and rafael link up together so well already. They compliment each other well and both play such quick football. Great game today.

jem

I really hope he is ok. He was fantastic today. Dare I say it, he looked like a captain out there.

Devil may care

He was MOTM for me, I just hope it's a knock as opposed to anything serious, we can't afford to lose him.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Passes, heads, tackles, scores, fecking great to have a proper midfielder. Also last two game he has tried to slow the game down after events go against us, really like the cut of his jib and I hope he's not too injured.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Seems that I've posted in a wrong Herrera thread previously, wasn't aware we've got two of those. Simply immense today. That second goal is thanks to him. Amount of work by him is fantastic, all the movement he makes on the pitch off bal is calculated to create space and positions for his team mates.

Kazi

He was bloody good today. Looks right at home in the system. Hope the injury is nothing serious. If it is, hopefully Fellaini's back to replace him rather than Fletcher.

kundalini

Looking a class player at the moment. So many of our best moves seem to originate with Herrera winning possession high up the pitch.

Al-T

What happened to him today? Does it look a serious injury? Hope to God not as he's been looking class!

Status
Not open for further replies.