Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I'm fully aware of him having played in different positions, you seem to be struggling to understand my original and very simple point that if Rooney didn't exist he would be starting every game, how do you not understand this?

Yes and in that time we changed managers, what does Moyes' view on a Herrera have to with how LVG views Herrera? LVG has always identified Herrera as an attacking midfielder.
Because I don't believe it to be true. For one Fellaini has started at 10 before him this season and last, Januzaj and Memphis too this season.
Herrera was dropped last season from the 8 position for apparently no reason too. It hasn't only been Rooney who has been keeping him from starting games, which was my point. LVG is obviously a bit insane when it comes to Herrera

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It seems they are people here that dislike Herrera simply for the reason that a lot of people like him. That is just weird. Surely a player's performances should be the determinant.
It's like that with loads of people on here. Any player who has a bit of a **** following on here have others go against him purely because others like him. So weird.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
It's like that with loads of people on here. Any player who has a bit of a **** following on here have others go against him purely because others like him. So weird.
Herrera has been a very good player for us, scored lots of goals, professional, never complains when benched, no attitude problems..seems to relish playing for the club...Its weird indeed, and sad in equal measure.

Keenst

Garth Crooks:
Herrera is very fortunate to have such an accommodating captain as Wayne Rooney, who has waited patiently for him and other new arrivals to come to terms with Louis van Gaal’s new system, often to Rooney’s detriment
Right you are, Garth.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
It seems they are people here that dislike Herrera simply for the reason that a lot of people like him. That is just weird. Surely a player's performances should be the determinant.
If Herrera was British things would have been pretty different.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Nepotism eh devilish.
Bias. Barkley is not as good as Herrera. Also the former is more comfortable at no 10 and we already have 4 NO 10s (Rooney, Mata, Januzaj and Fellaini). I don't mind us buying British players. However they must be as good/better to what we have and in positions we actually need. (I wouldn't mind if we get Stones for example)

Last edited:

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Don't understand how any United fan could dislike Herrera. Fantanstic player AND great lad too

Oneunited26

I think this is spot on. He can only play in the AM role for us regularly, and it’s a pity because a) Rooney will always play b) Martial is by far our most threatening player so he shall always play c) Mata is our best player on the right wing and d) Memphis is very highly rated by van Gaal, hence he got so much time to find his feet (I disagree with this tactic btw).

I really think Herrera is extremely unlucky. In a normal, healthy team I suppose Rooney would find himself on the bench, so would Memphis- replaced by Martial and Young respectively. I think it would make much better team with Herrera behind the front trio than what we’ve been playing recently. I guess that until Young/Memphis comes back, Herrera will get his chance. But unfortunately I wouldn’t bet on him staying in the team longer, he’s the victim of circumstances.
Either depay or rooney should moke way for herrera, I almost call herrera our frank lampard, if VG built the team around him. If VG put him in the advanced role, he can score goals from distance, he always is on the end of things, and is quiet capable of scoring penalty's. It is a mystery how he is even seen has a bench player, VG should know better. Herrera's goals record has been better than rooney's yet VG continues to play him, when its herrera who has been producing yet VG puts him on the bench

Our best midfield and attack probably is?

Bastian Morgan
herrera
Martial, rooney or depay, mata

Oneunited26

I don't think it's spot on. Before we bought Martial, Rooney was used as the main striker and one of Depay or Januzaj were starting in the second striker role. VG has mentioned multiple times that he prefers "his number 10" to be a SS. He doesn't see him as a 6 or "his 10", and we don't play with a 8. Don't think he was the victim of circumstances, more a victim of the manager's vision for his team.

Hopefully, Herrera has forced the manager to change that with his superlative performance in the last game, and we'll see more of him in the first XI as an attacking midfielder, bridging the gap between the midfield and the attack.
It boggles the mind how he thinks we have to have a SS even though that makes us prone to getting overrun, barcelona at the height if their dominance never played with a SS, and VG must play Bastian, Morgan and Herrera, it would give us so much control, Martial has really given us that acceleration, play the 3 and we could do what we did against everton

Bastian
Morgan herrera
Martial rooney mata

damn that midfield 3 and attacking trio would give us so much balance, its right infront of VG, and we will see what he does against city. We play that team, city are going to find it very hard to keep up

Moscow 1:1 Man Utd

dirkey

Very poor out of him in that first half. If it had been Rooney playing that many balls out to Valencia, the caf would have shut down with all the traffic. Can see him being replaced at half time. Correctly in my opinion.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He might be our best bet at #10 but he isn't a #10. Not ideal.
Eh? He's been our only performer in that half, managed to find himself space quite regularly, it's just unfortunate he has nothing ahead of him to play the final ball.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Has had some lovely touches in tight areas, but far too little movement around him. He's been part of our most dangerous plays tho. If you can call them, that.
Agreed. The ball is plodded to him and he's doing really well to weave a man and receive, but there is nothing ahead of him.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Very poor out of him in that first half. If it had been Rooney playing that many balls out to Valencia, the caf would have shut down with all the traffic. Can see him being replaced at half time. Correctly in my opinion.
Heh

I thought he was possibly our best player without being anything special

Borys

Statistics Wizard
Meh. Not a lot of space to operate, and little movement up front, but the "pass it to Valencia" tactic clearly isn't working. Best of the bad bunch though.

buckooo1978

he's been our brightest player in terms of passing but that isn't saying much

Valencia has been our only real outlet against a solid tight defence

dirkey

Heh

I thought he was possibly our best player without being anything special
When playing number 10, you have to be more adventurous. You have to make things happen. It's funny, when there's no movement for Ander, it gets pointed out. If Rooney plays there and plays the ball wide that often, no mention of poor movement is made. I'd be surprised if he lasts the full 90 minutes if he continues playing as he did in that first half. He was playing easy ball too often. Wasn't looking to give and go. Instead, it was get the ball and pass wide or backwards.

AttackingFlair

Doing really good things but then passing out wide instead of forwards - Probably under instructions to not take risks or he'll be benched again.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Eh? He's been our only performer in that half, managed to find himself space quite regularly, it's just unfortunate he has nothing ahead of him to play the final ball.
Best performer in that half ain't saying much. Anyway, I wasn't really criticising him, just pointing out that it isn't his best position. In the long term we could really do with a quality #10.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Probably our best player in that half. Started poorly I thought but got a lot better and has some lovely touches. Nothing really came of anything though and we haven't created any chances yet. So you could say he's been decent at best, with the others poor.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
Wonderful through ball for Valencia for that goal. Forced his run into the box and left him with 1 thing to do, cross. Minimised Valencia's thought process with that pass and we can't thank him enough for it tonight.

dirkey

Wonderful through ball for Valencia for that goal. Forced his run into the box and left him with 1 thing to do, cross. Minimised Valencia's thought process with that pass and we can't thank him enough for it tonight.
Ha. Very true. Has played a few nice forward passes in this second half, which is what I felt was missing first half. Great pass for the goal.

Jev

Another very good game from him. Very sensible in possession, hardly wasted a ball despite being our most adventurous player passing wise.

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
He seems quite hot and cold as a player. One excellent performance certainly doesn't guarantee another will follow it. He was ok though.

VanGaalEra

Hope he's ok, was wincing holding his side at the end.

Excellent through ball to Valencia in the lead up to the goal.

Bwuk

It's blatantly obvious now it has to be him, Morgan and Bastian/Carrick as the midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.