5.7 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boycott

Did well in the second half. Spent less time dawdling on the ball.

Strange perception of him tbh. I think he's underrated by opposition fans, but overrated by United fans.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
He was essential to our 30 mins of good play in the second half but not great outside of it. Better in a midfield three rather than as a #10.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He was good. The criticisms are odd in that he was the least of our problems.
Nobody was fabulous, but as you say we had a couple of real problems playing for us tonight and Ander was not one of them. At least he does try to create. Wayne just destroys most of our attacks.

m1y2

He was shit, he did nothing a number ten is supposed to do.
that's obviously BS, he was our best player today, set up the goal well, linked and broke up the play when needed. Deinitely should start every other game , he's our most important player..

DomesticTadpole

Agreed. How anyone can complain about his performance tonight I really don't understand....
Problem is everyone is looking at the Everton game. This is a different game, different circumstances and against different players. On a pitch that likely not up to PL standard, in the freezing cold and at a weird time. I still don't get why it wasn't a teatime kickoff.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Did very well for the goal and a couple of nice moments but feck me, he was very negative for a 10. As Scholes said, his first inclination was always to go backwards. Watching him and Mata do the same, though, you start to wonder if they're just following instructions.

DomesticTadpole

Did very well for the goal and a couple of nice moments but feck me, he was very negative for a 10. As Scholes said, his first inclination was always to go backwards. Watching him and Mata do the same, though, you start to wonder if they're just following instructions.
They must be because that just isn't their natural game.

AttackingFlair

Well when he first joined he was passing forwards and being positive and then he got benched, so you would think it's Van Gaal's orders.

DomesticTadpole

I'm not saying it isn't. And Ander was dropping in and out of pockets of space demanding for the ball many times if you could rewind and watch the first half again. He was constantly on the move.
It's awkward when one minute we have a 2nd striker No. 10, then an attacking midfielder No.10. He was likely constantly on the move to keep warm. I like Ander running from deep into the box.

Kag

That's the job of a number 10 too.
Whether by accident or design, he wasn't playing the #10 role tonight. He and Bastian/Fellaini were working opposite sides of the pitch. Lingard would then drift into the centre.

His was a lot more central against Everton, I thought.

Pogue Mahone

I'm not saying it isn't. And Ander was dropping in and out of pockets of space demanding for the ball many times if you could rewind and watch the first half again. He was constantly on the move.
Christ no, that would be a cruel and unusual punishment.

Yes, he dropped in and out of space but he never made any killer passes, give and goes, shots on goal, or posed any kind of attacking threat. He also gave the ball away a lot more than he did against Everton.

The whole team was shite in the first half but you'd have to be incredibly biased to not see that Hererra was ineffectual too.

Pogue Mahone

Whether by accident or design, he wasn't playing the #10 role tonight. He and Bastian/Fellaini were working opposite sides of the pitch. Lingard would then drift into the centre.

His was a lot more central against Everton, I thought.
He was a 10 in the first half, ahead of BFS and Schneiderlin. When Fellaini came on we changed formation to 433 with Morgan anchoring midfield and Fellaini/Hererra further forward. Hererra was much better in that new role.

LeftyBlaster

Christ no, that would be a cruel and unusual punishment.

Yes, he dropped in and out of space but he never made any killer passes, give and goes, shots on goal, or posed any kind of attacking threat. He also gave the ball away a lot more than he did against Everton.

The whole team was shite in the first half but you'd have to be incredibly biased to not see that Hererra was ineffectual too.
It's kinda hard to do that when we were happy to piss around in the middle of the park. Put yourself in his shoes. If you've ever played as a midfielder in football you'd know how hard it is when nobody on your team wants to make any runs behind the defence, or when that same defence sits so deep and all your team mates are happy to do is knock it side to side in slow ponderous fashion.

I am most certainly not disputing that he was ineffective but you have to see why he was unable to make an impact.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He was a 10 in the first half, ahead of BFS and Schneiderlin. When Fellaini came on we changed formation to 433 with Morgan anchoring midfield and Fellaini/Hererra further forward. Hererra was much better in that new role.
Not surprising as he isn't really a #10. Might be our best option there right now but that's not quite the same thing.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He had the highest passing accuracy in the team and only Schneiderlin had more passes in general, all while being our most creative player, playing great pass for our goal and creating clear goal chance for Rooney.

Also he wasn't really a number 10, he mostly played on the right side of midfield with our other midfielder playing more to the left.

You are incredibly harsh on him.

hbgreg

Pretty bad tonight, didn't link the midfield with attack well. Didn't really have any aggression either, he can turn his defender so well and does nothing with that opportunity.

Pogue Mahone

He had the highest passing accuracy in the team and only Schneiderlin had more passes in general, all while being our most creative player, playing great pass for our goal and creating clear goal chance for Rooney.

You are incredibly harsh on him.
That paragraph you quoted was about the first half. Everything in bold happened after half-time.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
That paragraph you quoted was about the first half. Everything in bold happened after half-time.
My bad then, but even in first half he was one of our best players and definitely last one who deserves criticism.

Kag

See, I think the midfield, in part due to our unusual amount of possession, was more or less operating the same way in both halves. Schweinsteiger would often be picking up similar pockets of space to Herrera over on the left side, with Herrera working with Valencia and Lingard down the right. Neither of them had any real joy, it must be said.

The positional differences were marginal if at all. I certainly don't think this performance was like your traditional #10, but then I don't think that will ever be the case with Herrera.

Pogue Mahone

See, I think the midfield, in part due to our unusual amount of possession, was more or less operating the same way in both halves. Schweinsteiger would often be picking up similar pockets of space to Herrera over on the left side, with Herrera working with Valencia and Lingard down the right. Neither of them had any real joy, it must be said.

The positional differences were marginal if at all. I certainly don't think this performance was like your traditional #10, but then I don't think that will ever be the case with Herrera.
We'll agree to disagree. I saw a very clear change in formation when Fellaini came on.

Status
Not open for further replies.