6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

settembrini

I'm constantly torn between which was the bigger Mourinho blunder. Spending £40m to downgrade Herrera to Matic or smashing our wage structure trying to replace Martial with Sanchez. Just imagine how much better off we would be if he focused on improving our weak areas instead of investing time and money into meddling with parts of the team that already worked.

anant

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Just play him and Pogba along with Mata/Fred depending on opposition every game. Why's it so tough to grasp this concept. Front 3 should be Martial Lukaku (when back in form)/Rashford and Sanchez/Lingard

Rossa

I don't agree that he is only about commitment and energy. I think he has real quality to his game. His close control and inter-play in tight spaces are very good. His passing in-between lines is also good, but his long range passing is below par. His first touch is decent, and he can dribble past opponents to gain momentum. He has quick feet, but his top speed is arguably lower than Mata's - the guy just cannot sprint. He is good defensively, and leads by example.

He may not be as tall as Matic, but on pretty much any other account he is better suited playing next to Pogba. I would love to see a midfield of Herrera behind Fred and Pogba. I think that is a midfield with the potential of being one of the best in the league. Quick feet, passing, vision, dribbling, strength pressing all combined. Pogba has, by far, the best passing range at the club, Fred is very quick for a central midfielder and can go past people, as can Pogba, and Herrera is very good at cutting out supply lines from the opposition. Please bench Matic!

Zlatattack

Agreed. Plus play the above dynamic and tenacious midfield with Martial Sanchez and Rashford upfront, and you have quite a team I'd say. However. Jose Mourinho's world is different.
I feel bad for Herrera, he's had to ensure 5 years at the club under 2 incredibly negative managers, who've never appreciated his strengths. He is not Modric or Alonso or even David Silva, but he is still a decent player who is tidy on the ball, aggressive and used to play the ball forwards. We need to find that guy again.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Just imagine Herrera and Fred starting together. I'd say Herrera is, by a mile, the most intelligent presser (and probably player) in our team. Dalot, Bailly, Rojo, Shaw, Fred, Herrera and Pogba - that's a pretty decent base to the team if you ask me. Maybe not good enough to win the league, but definitely shouldn't be in 8th place.

haram

Agreed. Plus play the above dynamic and tenacious midfield with Martial Sanchez and Rashford upfront, and you have quite a team I'd say. However. Jose Mourinho's world is different.
What would happen is our defence wouldn't be able to step up into midfield and be good enough on the ball, the fullbacks who are actually wingers would be caught out of position all the time and we would leak even more goals. I see you only mention the midfield and forwards when the defence is always the base of the team.

izec

I don't agree that he is only about commitment and energy. I think he has real quality to his game. His close control and inter-play in tight spaces are very good. His passing in-between lines is also good, but his long range passing is below par. His first touch is decent, and he can dribble past opponents to gain momentum. He has quick feet, but his top speed is arguably lower than Mata's - the guy just cannot sprint. He is good defensively, and leads by example.

He may not be as tall as Matic, but on pretty much any other account he is better suited playing next to Pogba. I would love to see a midfield of Herrera behind Fred and Pogba. I think that is a midfield with the potential of being one of the best in the league. Quick feet, passing, vision, dribbling, strength pressing all combined. Pogba has, by far, the best passing range at the club, Fred is very quick for a central midfielder and can go past people, as can Pogba, and Herrera is very good at cutting out supply lines from the opposition. Please bench Matic!
That midfield would lose too many balls. Fred and Pogba are too erratic and risky in their passing. While it is ok with having one, Fred would be the odd one out. I would like to see Pereira there, he would be the more safe option in terms of style but still having technical and playmaking qualities. Either way, Matic needs a long rest on the bench.

tomaldinho1

Just imagine Herrera and Fred starting together. I'd say Herrera is, by a mile, the most intelligent presser (and probably player) in our team. Dalot, Bailly, Rojo, Shaw, Fred, Herrera and Pogba - that's a pretty decent base to the team if you ask me. Maybe not good enough to win the league, but definitely shouldn't be in 8th place.
Exactly, we actually have a decent squad. I'd put Pereira in the equation as well - offensive minded players mixed in with aggressive pressing. Pogba with that amount of energy buzzing around him would have much more time to do what he's good at, creating chances and moving our play foe.

Then we address obvious areas for concern - RW as priority and then opportunistically look for upgrades across the park

Rossa

That midfield would lose too many balls. Fred and Pogba are too erratic and risky in their passing. While it is ok with having one, Fred would be the odd one out. I would like to see Pereira there, he would be the more safe option in terms of style but still having technical and playmaking qualities. Either way, Matic needs a long rest on the bench.
Are they more erratic and risk taking than City or Liverpool's midfield? I'm not so sure. Bernardo Silva, Fernandinho and David Silva in midfield is much more attacking than Herrera, Fred and Pogba. I think they only need coaching, when to have freedom and when to be risk-adverse. I haven't seen enough of Pereira as a CM, or indeed at all, to give much of an opinion.

j4ckos mate

Personally i rate Ander.
He gives his all for me and knows how to grind a game out and wind the opposition up

Man Utd 4:1 Fulham

Ekeke

5 tackles, 10 interceptions. He'd have 1 more tackle but the ref gave Fulham a pity penalty instead

Nobody works harder than mad dog Ander

JeffBoomTetris

Solid no nonsense performance. Was my motm just because of how he was central to our collective effort today. However, he should have scored that clear chance Mata gave him

Excellent, again. Said it a few pages ago but you are absolutely guaranteed a 6 or 7 out of 10 performance with him.

edit: and that was never a penalty.

Last edited:

Trizy

Was brilliant. Quality tackle for the penalty too, dunno how the ref gave it.

Big man Herrera as per usual.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
He is just superb. In today's game he won 5 tackles and 10 interceptions. 10 interceptions is just unreal.

arthurka

My MOTM. Would be my second pick on the team sheet every week behind De Gea. Immense performance.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Whole team won 14 tackles out of that Herrera won 5.

Whole team made 17 interceptions, Herrera alone made 10 interceptions.

He should play every game.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Needs to play against Liverpool. If we line up with 3 of Matic, Fellaini, McTominay or Pogba they will just dance through us. He gives us a glimmer of actually getting the ball off them.

Irwin99

Was too quickly written off last year. If he's fit he should play because you always get 100% from him.

PepsiCola

Ridiculous that he was replaced with Matic last season.

We've mishandled a brilliant player in Herrera

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
Great to have him back, he has been missed. Incredible team-player.

Canagel

Why is he not playing as our DM? He should be the Kante of this team.

midou

Because our manager is either totally incompetent in picking the first 11 or is doing this on purpose to prove something to Woodward / get sacked.

Mick321

He's a little warrior and can be snide as hell at times too, a player every midfield needs, he should be starting all the time.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I mean it was insane that in Mourinho's first season he won the player of the season, and was instantly replaced. Now hes showing that hes a better player than Matic yet again and that he should never have been dropped. Said it at the time, maintained it throughout. Matic at the very best, only matched Herrera's impact from 16/17. He was a bad signing not only for his age and fee, but because it displaced Herrera for no reason.

Maccataq

Why is he not playing as our DM? He should be the Kante of this team.
I would much rather see him in the team ahead of Matic and would be happy with him as our DM but I like him being slightly more advanced as he is the one who sets the tone in terms of our pressing so having him as DM would limit his ability to do that.

kidbob

Matic was fine today but I'm convinced that our midfield should be Herrera, Fred and Pogba. Ander is every bit as good on the ball as Matic and is quicker to release it. He's better defensively too. Fred is in the same mould in terms of being a hard worker. Having 2 hard workers should in theory free up Pogba to focus on the offensive side without us being as easy to play through. This sort of midfield could allow is to play on the front foot more. Im only including Pogba because for all his faults he is our best creative outlet and offers a lot more that Matic in this regard.

Anyway great game from Ander, his energy is just infectious to the rest of the team.

Canagel

I would much rather see him in the team ahead of Matic and would be happy with him as our DM but I like him being slightly more advanced as he is the one who sets the tone in terms of our pressing so having him as DM would limit his ability to do that.
Nah I'd like us to use him how City uses Fernandinho and then play two attack minded midfielders in front . He's made for the role . Remember when we went to Stamford Bridge a couple of years and bossed them in midfield? Who was in DM that day? Yep Herrera . He can still press from there but I feel in the advanced positions we need a bit more quality in the passing. Fred will give us the same pressing qualities as Herrera but better passing

Status
Not open for further replies.