6.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaglish10

The attack and defence rotated but the one constant through that run was the midfield 3. Due to Matic's lack of mobility and Pogba's lack of effort, he is the key man in that midfield 3. It doesn't work without him.

Now, how often do you notice Matic's lack of mobility and teams running straight through the United midfield? Or loose balls in midfield when only an opposition player goes for it? Or how often do you notice Pogba's lack of effort because nobody is covering him. Or how easily do teams play through or around United at the edge of the box where previously Herrera would make a key interception. Or teams breaking in behind United's right back where Herrera previously provided the cover.

United play away at Everton, a performance labelled one of the worst in the club's history. It was the nadir of the recent poor run. A performance lacking passion, leadership and intelligence - 3 of Herrera's greatest strengths. Yet, people still can't see the value he brings?

The results speak for themselves. The performances on the pitch speak for themselves. It's bizarre how people refuse to accept it.
And this key was missing against PSG, Wolves, Spurs and Leicester where we looked terrible? I can bet that we wouldn't have advanced against PSG if we had the same midfield that Verratti dominated in the first leg.

The truth is the whole squad is full of average players, Herrera inclusive.

George Owen

LEAVE THE SFW THREAD ALONE!!1!
We definitely missing Herrera in midfield.

Much more mobile and hard worker than the other midfielders.

I hope we can get a replacement with his same attitude.

POF

And this key was missing against PSG, Wolves, Spurs and Leicester where we looked terrible? I can bet that we wouldn't have advanced against PSG if we had the same midfield that Verratti dominated in the first leg.

You can. Or you could just make an assessment based on things that actually happened rather than scenarios you imagine.

You are now using away wins in the Premier League as evidence to criticise him, one of those against a team who is in the semi final of the Champions League!

United played really well at Spurs. They ran out of gas in the last 30 minutes after the "mini pre season" but that was a very good performance overall.

POF

We've really missed him. I'm sure if he hadn't missed the last 5-6 games we'd have 2-3 more points at least.
You jest but 2-3 points could be the difference between getting top 4 and not. Champions League football and attracting top quality players has never been more important to United.

WR10

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
It's not that we're directly missing him. We're directly missing the ability to allow Pogba to play in a #10 role with no defensive responsibilities.
It was the main reason Ole was immensely successful in his first 15 games.
For one reason or another, no other player has been able to play the Herrera role good enough to slot Pogba back into his role.
We instead have Pogba now half committing to his defensive duties and attacking duties. He's a garbage positional defender and he's wasted too much energy tracking back to make anything happen in attack.
That has left our forwards deserted with no Pogba supply. Our team has also missed Pogba goals.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Agree - we miss him clearly . He is replaceable but we don't have an option in our squad to replace his skillsets.

Fred isn't as good as Herrera on the ball.
Fred is not responsible enough as a player. He's talented but plays like a 21 year old. We've missed that cohesion Matic Herrera and Pogba had. Of those three Herrera was the one that pulled it all together with Pogba giving us the flair. But he needs to be in form and interested for it to work like that again.

Kaglish10

You can. Or you could just make an assessment based on things that actually happened rather than scenarios you imagine.

You are now using away wins in the Premier League as evidence to criticise him, one of those against a team who is in the semi final of the Champions League!

United played really well at Spurs. They ran out of gas in the last 30 minutes after the "mini pre season" but that was a very good performance overall.
I think the player we missed is Matic. Matic was on song in almost all of the games we played well. Matic was our best player in the season we came second. He's the only semblance to a playmaker in the team even if he's not really one.

Against Ajax in the Europa final match, Herrera had a good game but Pogba was awful and we even had to resort to parking the bus while punting long to Fellaini.

That's to tell it's not Herrera kind of players that makes Pogba a better player but a playmaker who can link up with him such as Ibrahimovic who was always dropping deep to link up with Pogba until the play eventually progressed to the final third and this allowed us to create plenty of chances in Pogba's first season with us. It's no coincidence that as soon as Ibrahimovic got injured, our play became terrible afterwards. Likewise Matic who helped in the progression of our play last season but this season he's gone AWOL except for the early few games under Ole, albeit we were mostly against relegation candidates.

I followed Pogba during his Juve days and one thing I have discovered from him is the fact that he's always looked terrible without a playmaker in the team. He was awful after Pirlo left Juventus and Marchiso who should have replaced Pirlo in his playmaking role was out injured. Pogba was supported with so many workhorse in the midfield yet still looked so terrible until Marchiso returned from his injury. Same happened in Juventus Copa Italian final match against AC Milan where Marchiso was absent. Even in the world cup where he was told to be disciplined, play simple and use his long ball to release Mbappe on the wing, there was Griezmann who constantly drop deep to link up with him and Matuidi who consistently drifted into the midfield to provide options and as we know already, Matuidi has got one of the best movement and linkup play out there, regardless of his average vision. It wasn't Kante who made Pogba to play better because all Kante did was to help France recover the ball as quick as possible to enable for a quick counter attack. Nzonzi had no problem slotting into the same role in the second half of the world cup final after Kante was subbed out due to injury.

So no, We won't play better with thousands of Herrera in the team but with a playmaker.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
So I watched the video and it really just confirms my opinion. So often his passes are just a little 'off'. Not quite into a team-mates stride. There's maybe, at a stretch, two(?) passes in that whole compilation you could describe as anything other than routine. With many more examples of the "hooooof" panicky clearances he's kind of made his trademark. And that's his very best moments, from his very best few games of the season, with all the bad passes edited out!

Here's a video of Fred from one game. Every pass included, warts and all. He makes two bad passes in total but you can clearly see he is a far more competent passer of the football than Hererra, when you compare this with the "highlights" you posted above (skip to 4:18 for a pass you won't see Hererra execute in a month of Sundays). Now this is damning by faint praise. Because the jury is definitely still out on Fred. My only point is that I'm finding it hard to care about losing a CM whose choice and range of pass is so obviously limited when the last few seasons have been so scarred by piss poor passing and movement. If Fred (or another new signing) can do all the other CM stuff well enough to take Hererra's place in the team we'll be a much better footballing side as a result.
That was a good game of Fred's, I (and many others) thought so when watching live and it's borne out in the stats and the video you posted. I'm also happy to concede Herrera's is not the level we should aspire to for midfield passing prowess, it needs to be better both in terms of ceiling and consistency.

My point was that in my opinion Herrera has shown he can pass well. He could be more creative like he was for Athletic but in a deeper position for us his winning possession and laying it off quickly has been a great asset, particularly last season. I also disagreed with you that Fred has shown Herrera how it's done in terms of CM passing; while in the Barca game and a few others, such as the Wolves defeat, he did his job very well and was let down by teammates there have been too many like last night where he's given away passes which have put us under pressure. Has Fred (and Ander to be fair) been let down by abysmal movement from teammates? Certainly. Could he improve and become a great asset box-to-box, breaking up play and passing with speed, accuracy and intent? Possibly. Has he been that this season, to the point where he's shown Herrera the way home? Not for me.

spiriticon

Has he made up his mind on where he wants to be next season yet? Feck me he is taking his time.

Ramsey decided his future within weeks of being eligible to sign pre contracts.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
That was a good game of Fred's, I (and many others) thought so when watching live and it's borne out in the stats and the video you posted. I'm also happy to concede Herrera's is not the level we should aspire to for midfield passing prowess, it needs to be better both in terms of ceiling and consistency.

My point was that in my opinion Herrera has shown he can pass well. He could be more creative like he was for Athletic but in a deeper position for us his winning possession and laying it off quickly has been a great asset, particularly last season. I also disagreed with you that Fred has shown Herrera how it's done in terms of CM passing; while in the Barca game and a few others, such as the Wolves defeat, he did his job very well and was let down by teammates there have been too many like last night where he's given away passes which have put us under pressure. Has Fred (and Ander to be fair) been let down by abysmal movement from teammates? Certainly. Could he improve and become a great asset box-to-box, breaking up play and passing with speed, accuracy and intent? Possibly. Has he been that this season, to the point where he's shown Herrera the way home? Not for me.
I don’t really disagree with any of that. Fred still has it all to prove. I stand by my point that we need better midfielders than Ander Hererra in our team if we’re ever going to get out of our ongoing funk.

Renegade

Why should he walk away from what PSG are offering at his age? We’re the ones who delayed securing him and we expect him to walk away from that offer because he “loves” the club?

If he did reject the PSG offer and signed with us instead we’d soon be asking for him to be sold or dropped for the new shiny toy eventually. We’ve been trying to replace him the last 2 summers with Matic & Fred and 90m later we’re still awful in the middle. No guarantee his replacement will be any better unfortunately.

He should go. He doesn’t owe us anything.

buckooo1978

if we are being honest he's the best midfielder we have in that deeper role - I think we should match the PSG offer at least

I've absolutely no confidence in a scouting team that thought it was a good idea to spurge 52m on Fred who isn't in the same category as Herrera

Herrera's absence has really hurt us

The only way I would let him go is if we have a top replacement lined up as part of our build for the future

RedIan

Why is he still missing? Injury or transfer issues?
If the latter we need him to play now, hes a man united player taking a big wage. Earn it ffs.
We have definitely missed him.

tony54

I feel really sad for Hererra, he played his best for the team and was a goid emvassadir off the field. If he had gone to an in form team he would have reaped better rewards. He' s probably played his best years in a dud team for nothing.

Kaglish10

Think how many saves De Gea made against Spurs. With Hererra in our team. Think how many he didn’t make last night. Think about whether Spurs are a much better team than City. Still think Hererra would have made a difference?
Think how many saves De Gea made against Spurs. With Hererra in our team. Think how many he didn’t make last night. Think about whether Spurs are a much better team than City. Still think Hererra would have made a difference?
Most of them are living in La la Disney land.

We don't need Herrera to make us better but a playmaker!

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
We've really missed him. I'm sure if he hadn't missed the last 5-6 games we'd have 2-3 more points at least.
Why is he still missing? Injury or transfer issues?
If the latter we need him to play now, hes a man united player taking a big wage. Earn it ffs.
We have definitely missed him.
We do miss a player in his role but I think McT has done a good job filling in his role.

Ekeke

Any player can have a bad game. Look at PSG in the 2nd leg

Kaglish10

Any player can have a bad game. Look at PSG in the 2nd leg
Yes but what PSG players showed in the 2nd leg isn't different from what we know.

Mbappe's ball control under pressure has always been suspect regardless of his pace and good touch. Draxler is a lazy player and di Maria is simply a bellend. Marquinho is a defender playing in the midfield. It was only Verratti that set them apart in the 1st leg but was stifled by MCT in the 2nd leg match. If PSG had Neymar, they would have had more chances of getting through.

Nothing Herrera has shown would make us better than what we're. I would rather we bring in playmakers and someone like Saul Niguez/Lemina to complement these playmakers than give Herrera 200k contract. Everyone on heavy wages should be let go and that includes Sanchez, Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Matic and even Fred.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This is like when we were unbeaten with Carrick in the starting XI during the 16/17 season. Really didn't mean much back then and I doubt Herrera would make a huge difference right now.

Ekeke

Yes but what PSG players showed in the 2nd leg isn't different from what we know.

Mbappe's ball control under pressure has always been suspect regardless of his pace and good touch. Draxler is a lazy player and di Maria is simply a bellend. Marquinho is a defender playing in the midfield. It was only Verratti that set them apart in the 1st leg but was stifled by MCT in the 2nd leg match. If PSG had Neymar, they would have had more chances of getting through.

Nothing Herrera has shown would make us better than what we're. I would rather we bring in playmakers and someone like Saul Niguez/Lemina to complement these playmakers than give Herrera 200k contract. Everyone on heavy wages should be let go and that includes Sanchez, Pogba, Martial, Lingard, Matic and even Fred.
What? Nonsense. In the first game our midfield didnt compete well. Ander has shown he's normally up for the big matches and puts in a monster pressing and ball winning performance. That didnt happen in the first game, he had a poor match like the rest of the midfield. So it was completely different to what we know about him from this season.

Ekeke

This is like when we were unbeaten with Carrick in the starting XI during the 16/17 season. Really didn't mean much back then and I doubt Herrera would make a huge difference right now.
You dont think having our best big match player playing in a big match would have made a big difference?

Kaglish10

What? Nonsense. In the first game our midfield didnt compete well. Ander has shown he's normally up for the big matches and puts in a monster pressing and ball winning performance. That didnt happen in the first game, he had a poor match like the rest of the midfield. So it was completely different to what we know about him from this season.
He had a poor game and there's nothing to show he would have had a good game in the return leg.

Anyway, I have problem with offering him 200k contract. He can take Mata away while we're at it. All the players are just giving me a head ache.

Ekeke

He had a poor game and there's nothing to show he would have had a good game in the return leg.

Anyway, I have problem with offering him 200k contract. He can take Mata away while we're at it. All the players are just giving me a head ache.
And if PSG had played the second game in the first leg, you could have said the same thing so that makes no sense. Any player can have a bad game and our midfield all had a bad game. Having a bad game means they obviously didnt show anything. Its not about that game but about the bunch of other games where they played well. For Ander that includes several matches against big teams this season including Spurs. PSG are probably better sure but if he played like he did against Spurs he'd have helped us a lot.

Kaglish10

And if PSG had played the second game in the first leg, you could have said the same thing so that makes no sense. Any player can have a bad game and our midfield all had a bad game. Having a bad game means they obviously didnt show anything. Its not about that game but about the bunch of other games where they played well. For Ander that includes several matches against big teams this season including Spurs. PSG are probably better sure but if he played like he did against Spurs he'd have helped us a lot.
You mean there was a way Herrera would have renewed his gassing lungs in the second leg? he was puffing out lot of air and looked laboured in the first leg. He's not going to get better with his age. Anyway, He's never been a Kante's like player with a crazy lung. Like I said, I won't have him on 200k wage.

Ekeke

You mean there was a way Herrera would have renewed his gassing lungs in the second leg? he was puffing out lot of air and looked laboured in the first leg. He's not going to get better with his age. Anyway, He's never been a Kante's like player with a crazy lung. Like I said, I won't have him on 200k wage.
I guess you dont watch us play on a weekly basis. That was one match where the whole team looked laboured. Usually hes our hardest working player

Handré1990

Which is a good description of our midfield with him in the team many many times. Sure he’s had some good games recently but he’s had many more poor games over the last few years. I don’t see any positive about losing him on a free but I do see a positive in the idea of building a midfield with much better players than him in it. Which should be well within our means. We’re not replacing Keane, Scholes or Carrick here. If we can’t upgrade a limited player like Hererra then we really are in big trouble.
The last part is key. I like Herrera, if for no other reason than his hard work, which he always did. I’d prefer to keep him, at least not lose him on a free.

However, if Manchester United are unable to upgrade Herrera we might as well pack it up.

Decomposing In Paris

Fred made 1 tackle against City and had a 75% pass completion. He seems so one-footed it's unbelievable. Even in Herrera's worst games for us he's had better stats than that. We'll need to replace him with someone fairly exceptional.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Fred made 1 tackle against City and had a 75% pass completion. He seems so one-footed it's unbelievable. Even in Herrera's worst games for us he's had better stats than that. We'll need to replace him with someone fairly exceptional.
Didn’t watch the game last night but Fred is much more comfortable passing off his weaker foot than Hererra.

Kaglish10

I guess you dont watch us play on a weekly basis. That was one match where the whole team looked laboured. Usually hes our hardest working player
I watched us on daily basis and while I admit Herrera is a hard-working player, he's not the player to make us better. My vision for a united team is a possession based style which is a setup that has Herrera always found wanting. I never for once like his lack of vertical passes, even if they were just short ones and his movement is quite terrible and I'm not talking of going hung ho style on opponents. I would love him here as a squad player but on a 200k wage? Nah.

Ekeke

I watched us on daily basis and while I admit Herrera is a hard-working player, he's not the player to make us better. My vision for a united team is a possession based style which is a setup that has Herrera always found wanting. I never for once like his lack of vertical passes, even if they were just short ones and his movement is quite terrible and I'm not talking of going hung ho style on opponents. I would love him here as a squad player but on a 200k wage? Nah.
I dont want him on 200k either. But he makes our 2nd most passes forward after Pogba and has good movement going forward, which is why he has a couple of goals.

And the point is he would have got stuck in on PSG if he had a good game, rather than a poor game like the first leg. He would have made it far more difficult for PSG. Just like McTominay and Fred did

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
I think the player we missed is Matic. Matic was on song in almost all of the games we played well. Matic was our best player in the season we came second. He's the only semblance to a playmaker in the team even if he's not really one.
Matic certainly wasn't our best player last season. He played very well for the first two or three months, then his form slowly but surely dropped away as the season wore on. In the second half of the season he was average at best, and decidedly poor in the last few months.

Matic actually relies massively on Herrera being there doing all the dirty work. He's been atrocious all season, and the only time he's actually played well was that one or two month period when Herrera was there beside when Ole first took over. He's gone back to being terrible since the two of them got injured and Herrera hasn't really got going again.

I do agree with you that Pogba does need another playmaker in the team. I've been saying that since before we even officially signed him. But most playmakers aren't going to provide enough defensively, and so we are going to need the third midfielder to be mostly focused on their defensive duties. That's exactly what we've seen with Matic this season struggling whenever Herrera isn't there.

Actually, I'll change what I said about Pogba above, as so many people take it the wrong way. The better way of putting it is that Man Utd should have two players sharing the duties of controlling us around and creating the chances. Just like we have had during all our best teams, and just as almost every successful team of the last 20 years have had. Relying on just one person to do it all is absolutely ridiculous no matter who that person is, and invariably that person is going to struggle to do it consistently. If we sell Pogba and bring in just one player to handle those duties by themselves, it's pretty much guaranteed that person will struggle as well.

Kaglish10

Matic certainly wasn't our best player last season. He played very well for the first two or three months, then his form slowly but surely dropped away as the season wore on. In the second half of the season he was average at best, and decidedly poor in the last few months.

Matic actually relies massively on Herrera being there doing all the dirty work. He's been atrocious all season, and the only time he's actually played well was that one or two month period when Herrera was there beside when Ole first took over. He's gone back to being terrible since the two of them got injured and Herrera hasn't really got going again.

I do agree with you that Pogba does need another playmaker in the team. I've been saying that since before we even officially signed him. But most playmakers aren't going to provide enough defensively, and so we are going to need the third midfielder to be mostly focused on their defensive duties. That's exactly what we've seen with Matic this season struggling whenever Herrera isn't there.

Actually, I'll change what I said about Pogba above, as so many people take it the wrong way. The better way of putting it is that Man Utd should have two players sharing the duties of controlling us around and creating the chances. Just like we have had during all our best teams, and just as almost every successful team of the last 20 years have had. Relying on just one person to do it all is absolutely ridiculous no matter who that person is, and invariably that person is going to struggle to do it consistently. If we sell Pogba and bring in just one player to handle those duties by themselves, it's pretty much guaranteed that person will struggle as well.
But Herrera hardly played last season. I think it was between Matic and Lukaku.

That said, I would say Mourinho who signed Matic doesn't even know what he was doing with him because Matic's best display under him came in a 2-man midfield and that reminds me, it was the same way Conte was able to get the best out of him. It's ridiculous to think the ageing Matic could have done wonders in a lone holding midfield. Same happened with Schone for Ajax until Ajax coach started to deploy him in a 2-man midfield this season and besides that, he had him operating as the playmaker while Frenkie was saddled with building up play and operating as the last man to ensure Schone is constantly refreshed.

Of course, Matic isn't a playmaker but he's the only semblance to a playmaker in the team and at a stretch, for Conte's team when Chelsea won the league. The point is this team really need a playmaker badly.

Walters_19_MuFc

Be really annoyed if we lose a player like Herrera. Runs his arse off and gives his all every game. Yes, he's very safe on the ball and doesn't create enough, but neither do Wijnaldum, Henderson, Fabinho, etc.

Use him how we normally use him, but get someone next to him who will do the creative work.

Ekeke

But Herrera hardly played last season. I think it was between Matic and Lukaku.

That said, I would say Mourinho who signed Matic doesn't even know what he was doing with him because Matic's best display under him came in a 2-man midfield and that reminds me, it was the same way Conte was able to get the best out of him. It's ridiculous to think the ageing Matic could have done wonders in a lone holding midfield. Same happened with Schone for Ajax until Ajax coach started to deploy him in a 2-man midfield this season and besides that, he had him operating as the playmaker while Frenkie was saddled with building up play and operating as the last man to ensure Schone is constantly refreshed.

Of course, Matic isn't a playmaker but he's the only semblance to a playmaker in the team and at a stretch, for Conte's team when Chelsea won the league. The point is this team really need a playmaker badly.
Matic had a couple of good months thats it. Lukaku wasnt that great but did score goals.

Coming 2nd was based on the defensive record, Smalling and De Gea were important in that.

Status
Not open for further replies.