View full 2023-24 profile

5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Clean sheets
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards

mu4c_20le

It's really poor positioning. Shots at the first post are goalkerpers main responsability.
Or excellent positioning. Think about it. The guy trains with Antony every day, famous for his left footed rocket into the top corner. You can clearly see in the photo he was taking a step to his right in order to produce that world class save, which is now routine to him. Unfortunately Neto isn't anywhere near that level.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Pickford shits all over Onana and he would have been a damm sight cheaper as well but for some strange reason he is not rated on here.
No chance. Everton would have laughed all the way to their FFP tribunal if we bid for/ bought Pickford. He’s England No.1, which is worth a few extra zeros on his fee :wenger:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
No chance. Everton would have laughed all the way to their FFP tribunal if we bid for/ bought Pickford. He’s England No.1, which is worth a few extra zeros on his fee :wenger:
Pickford shits all over Onana and he would have been a damm sight cheaper as well but for some strange reason he is not rated on here.
How much was Onana? 50m? I reckon Pickford would have been similar but he also enjoys being at Everton the sadist.

Wing Attack Plan R

You said he was guaranteed to save any decent shot at him.
Are we now pretending the games V west ham, Brentford, fa cup V Everton didn't happen nor the Europa League games?
Nor the numerous times he cost us cup competitions through making a mistake and then compounding them
And not just mistakes like the Sevilla game but actual weak shots from distance that he let through?

As I said, people can be a fan or non fan of onana but let's not pretend that it was a mistake to move on from ddg, who was here five years more than he should have been
Tedious. DeGea was with us for almost 12 years, he played 415 times, so of course he made some mistakes - even howlers - that cost us matches. But he was also our POTY 4 years running. He made incredible bullet-time saves I've never seen anyone else make. DeGea at his shittiest was still a better keeper and shot-stopper than Onana.

Sylar

Oh bore off. DeGea was with us for almost 12 years, he played 415 times, so of course he made some mistakes - even howlers - that cost us matches. But he was also our POTY 4 years running. He made incredible bullet-time saves I've never seen anyone else make. DeGea at his shittiest was still a better keeper and shot-stopper than Onana.
Right but you weren't talking about his overall 12 years. You were talking about the recent years

Back in the most recent season he played for us. Whatever criticisms one wants to level at DeGea, his reflex saves should be beyond reproach.
I can bore off but I will still call out your nonsense revisionist history to put down onana.
You can rate onana without making up stuff like this about his predecessor

but he was guaranteed to save any decent effort at goal
I liked ddg but his first two seasons were nothing to write about but decent in between being dropped.
But he had then had a good 4-5 year spell before regressing year upon year.

Bringing up ddg is useless. It wasn't a case of just keeping him, it was giving him a new contract on big wages (he would have needed close to an 90% reduction for it to make sense).
And remember this is a guy without a club after the end of two windows, where no top club (guessing no top half team either in the big leagues) has gone in for him.

So back to onana, we can judge him on the season and if we're comparing him to ddg it should be for last season not his whole tenure

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Or excellent positioning. Think about it. The guy trains with Antony every day, famous for his left footed rocket into the top corner. You can clearly see in the photo he was taking a step to his right in order to produce that world class save, which is now routine to him. Unfortunately Neto isn't anywhere near that level.
I guess we should always looks on the bright side.
Onana and Anthony are two negatives só that should give a positive in maths. Might not work that way in football.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Tedious. DeGea was with us for almost 12 years, he played 415 times, so of course he made some mistakes - even howlers - that cost us matches. But he was also our POTY 4 years running. He made incredible bullet-time saves I've never seen anyone else make. DeGea at his shittiest was still a better keeper and shot-stopper than Onana.
We would be higher in the table and still in Europe if we had DDG rather than binning him for Onana. No great endorsement of DdG- I think it was time for him to go - just we managed to replace him with this absolutely useless GK who has somehow made things worse.

RuudTom83

Whilst a lot of the goals can be argued are not entirely his fault. There is no denying the ball does fly past him a lot!

It never feels like the opposition need to find the top corner to beat him. Anything on target and with a bit of pace tends to be enough.

As the season is past the halfway mark I’m not sure what else Onana has, that he hasn’t shown yet.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
I don't think it was the case. Many including me, realized that we had bigger problems than the GK, as it turned out the truth. We had much more pressing issues, than DDG last year, like ST, CDM, CM, and RM. What did we solve out of that list? Mainoo obviously is an absolute plus, but christ everything else is a total disaster.
I thought it was ok to replace him if there was a rock-solid replacement, who would be ok at shot-stopping and an upgrade at passing and at commanding the box - crosses being DDG's one true never-fixed weakness. Maybe the Milan guy (who seems to be in a form slump now too) or the Porto guy. The names being touted during the season last time were mediocrities like Meslier and Pickford - at least for me, nobody of that calibre could have been a DDG replacement. Looks like we chose an even lower level.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Some on here were adamant he should have been playing ahead of de Gea even after that. Clear as day he was never good enough to play for United, no matter how poor de Gea was.
Interestingly, the only time in the last 6 seasons that we conceded less than a goal a game was in the few months that Henderson was first choice.

Not that I'm saying he should have been our #1, but I do think he gets overly criticised for his games with us. Sure he made two or three bad mistakes which cost us goals, but both De Gea and now Onana have been doing the same (and they've probably had a higher percentage of mistakes despite both being much more experienced).

Salfordlad70

Whilst a lot of the goals can be argued are not entirely his fault. There is no denying the ball does fly past him a lot!

It never feels like the opposition need to find the top corner to beat him. Anything on target and with a bit of pace tends to be enough.

As the season is past the halfway mark I’m not sure what else Onana has, that he hasn’t shown yet.
There’s a video on YouTube with every shot on target he faced last season with Inter.

I watched it shortly after he signed and I was mortified and you’re absolutely right in what you say. I have very little confidence in him and I worry every time a shot comes his way.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
His reflexes and anticipation of shots are horrendous

Black Adder

Rarer than an eclipse.
I felt more comfortable with Carrol or PIG in the goal than this keeper wannabe.

But, since both him and Antony are ETH favorite children we won't see upgrade until new manager takes over so better brace ourselves for a bumpy ride with this idiot in the goal.

Lyng

Feels like the Prem is to fast for him. He always seems to be mid decision when things happen around him. And he lacks Dave's reflexes.
He is quite good at handling pressure when on the ball. Every other aspect he is average or downright bad.

Oranges038

Interestingly, the only time in the last 6 seasons that we conceded less than a goal a game was in the few months that Henderson was first choice.

Not that I'm saying he should have been our #1, but I do think he gets overly criticised for his games with us. Sure he made two or three bad mistakes which cost us goals, but both De Gea and now Onana have been doing the same (and they've probably had a higher percentage of mistakes despite both being much more experienced).
On average conceded less than a goal a game, more clean sheets, less goals conceded and more wins during his spell in goal. It was the best Utd have looked defensively for years. People just didn't like his attitude and thought he was a leaker. Might never have been good enough. But in general all people seem to remember is that Salah goal and it is always the one thing that was brought up about him.

Meanwhile, nobody ever seems to remember this....

united for life

This guy reminds me of the old Fifa games where the keeper only dives after the ball has gone into the net. He always seems to be behind play and slow to react. Not sure what is up with him.
i think the pressure got to him. He came with an image of someone with a big personality, but the pressure of playing for united and being under so much scrutiny got to him. He has been below average since joining and this has put him under more pressure - the media doesnt help when you are a united player. ETH is to blame for not dropping him. I feel he needs some time away from the spot light. Worth giving our #2 a chance.

midou

Worse than the worst version of De Gea. Would have been 100 times better off with Kovar or Vitek or even Heaton and investing the money elsewhere.
His much praised skills with the ball in his feet are irrelevant in our setup/playing style/current situation.

Oscar Bonavena

That's how I read it. A lot of the goals conceded aren't exactly "howlers" per se, but there's always that niggly feeling that a top class keeper would have saved it.

He never looks like his feet and hands are ready when a shot comes in, and his reactions are therefore really slow. Maybe gk experts on this thread can verify, but to me his gk technique looks off. Like an outfield players who can "do a job" in goal.

To give him credit, he is very comfortable with the ball at his feet. He's not afraid of opposition forwards closing him down as he can just pop the ball off left or right to a teammate. With DDG that was always hands over the eyes time and hope he didn't f**k up! And he's quick off his line for balls in behind which DDG wasn't, which I'm convinced was a big factor in Maguire's improved form earlier in the season.

But there's no getting away from it, he is not a good shot stopper.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Feels like the Prem is to fast for him. He always seems to be mid decision when things happen around him. And he lacks Dave's reflexes.
He is quite good at handling pressure when on the ball. Every other aspect he is average or downright bad.
I don't think Onana's problem is that he gets caught in two minds.

There's a saying (kind of) in footy schools that goes something like this: Excellent goalkeepers can react even under the toughest of circumstances. This often allows them to make saves very few people expect them to make. Great goalkeepers, on the other hand, read and then react. This removes the need to produce miraculous saves regularly. The former usually play within their strengths and the defence adjusts to them, while the latter are an active part of the defensive line. Constantly shouting instructions, guiding their teammates, reading the game and anticipating where the danger in the box is most probably to occur etc. It's not all black and white, of course, but United have had success with both types.

The problem with Onana, thus far, is that he's neither reading nor reacting. He's guessing... Often times, he's rush when he has time and indecisive when he hasn't. Whether this is a confidence issue or something else, i don't know. Henderson, for example, was beyond confident. He was arrogant and believed (believes?) that he's a much better keeper than he actually is. I think it was the opposite for Wolves' equalizer. I believe Onana was too afraid that he wouldn't be able to make a save at his far post. He had already made up his mind on that, thus opening up an opportunity for Neto that shouldn't be there.

Sylar

Yeah, almost as though the club has no idea what they’re doing?
So you think we should have given ddg a new contract on reduced terms but still the highest paid gk in the league?

Nobby style

Tooting Colombia to Tooting Bec and back again
Can’t join in on the feeding frenzy on Onana. Didn’t think he was bad against Wolves. Let in a penalty, the second was actually a decent save that bounced off Dalot, and the third nothing he could really do as Neto made a fantastic shot through the legs of Varane

Don’t get the angry Karen attacks on him. Maybe he came off the line poorly on the one where Martinez took it off the line, but if you look at it, there was extremely poor defending and the Wolves attacker was perfectly set up for the header at point blank. He had some good saves and passes as well.

I think the defense was far worse than Onana on the day.

Lyng

I don't think Onana's problem is that he gets caught in two minds.

There's a saying (kind of) in footy schools that goes something like this: Excellent goalkeepers can react even under the toughest of circumstances. This often allows them to make saves very few people expect them to make. Great goalkeepers, on the other hand, read and then react. This removes the need to produce miraculous saves regularly. The former usually play within their strengths and the defence adjusts to them, while the latter are an active part of the defensive line. Constantly shouting instructions, guiding their teammates, reading the game and anticipating where the danger in the box is most probably to occur etc. It's not all black and white, of course, but United have had success with both types.

The problem with Onana, thus far, is that he's neither reading nor reacting. He's guessing... Often times, he's rush when he has time and indecisive when he hasn't. Whether this is a confidence issue or something else, i don't know. Henderson, for example, was beyond confident. He was arrogant and believed (believes?) that he's a much better keeper than he actually is. I think it was the opposite for Wolves' equalizer. I believe Onana was too afraid that he wouldn't be able to make a save at his far post. He had already made up his mind on that, thus opening up an opportunity for Neto that shouldn't be there.
Completely agree. Was pretty much what I was trying to say but not being a native English speaker I was having trouble putting it into text.

Matthew1972

Calling it now, he will assist Rashford or one of our attackers for a goal next season. But, also I feel that he will be prone to a few blunders with how he plays. Won't be surprised if he cost us a few goals as well because of his risk taking at the back.
A few? Still waiting for the Rashford assist.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
Right but you weren't talking about his overall 12 years. You were talking about the recent years

I can bore off but I will still call out your nonsense revisionist history to put down onana.
You can rate onana without making up stuff like this about his predecessor

I liked ddg but his first two seasons were nothing to write about but decent in between being dropped.
But he had then had a good 4-5 year spell before regressing year upon year.

Bringing up ddg is useless. It wasn't a case of just keeping him, it was giving him a new contract on big wages (he would have needed close to an 90% reduction for it to make sense).
And remember this is a guy without a club after the end of two windows, where no top club (guessing no top half team either in the big leagues) has gone in for him.

So back to onana, we can judge him on the season and if we're comparing him to ddg it should be for last season not his whole tenure
His second season he was barely dropped at all, by April of his first season he had become a very good goalkeeper.

lex talionis

Can’t join in on the feeding frenzy on Onana. Didn’t think he was bad against Wolves. Let in a penalty, the second was actually a decent save that bounced off Dalot, and the third nothing he could really do as Neto made a fantastic shot through the legs of Varane

Don’t get the angry Karen attacks on him. Maybe he came off the line poorly on the one where Martinez took it off the line, but if you look at it, there was extremely poor defending and the Wolves attacker was perfectly set up for the header at point blank. He had some good saves and passes as well.

I think the defense was far worse than Onana on the day.
Agreed. Conceding three goals to a club like Wolves Looks bad on paper but when you break each one down there’s not a whole lot Onana could have done differently.

But the problem is that throughout the season Onana isn’t performing anywhere near the level we expect or demand of a United keeper, and however you want to look at it Onana has been worse for us this season than De Gea last season.

The legitimate concerns with De Gea were his wages and the fact that at 32 his peak was already behind him. When I learned that Dave was on 375k/week that pissed me off too. He was a brilliant keeper but he wasn’t the Messi of keepers. A big chuck of the 375k/week should have gone to another player to strengthen our midfield or a CF, where the club had massive holes. I get getting rid of De Gea but FFS if you’re going do that then at least bring in a better keeper and Onana is nowhere near the keeper De Gea was, but I emphasize was as there should in no way be any talk of bringing Dave back now.

What was done is behind us now but because of clueless management we now have to find another keeper and hope we can offload Onana at a huge loss in terms of net transfer fee.

Sylar

His second season he was barely dropped at all, by April of his first season he had become a very good goalkeeper.
He played one less premier league game than the season before (his first). He had only two more games played in second compared to the first season